2020 Packers 3rd round pick: Josiah Deguara, TE

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's hilarious, it took only one post after you correctly posted that your opinion doesn't matter that you claim to know for a fact that a prospect won't work out.

Confused by who said he won't work out? Me or Glee, you quoted us both, but neither quote stated such...perhaps you meant to quote a different post?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How will Deguara fit into the offense? Most likely as a blocking TE in a 2 TE formation IMO. Sternberger is more athletic and will be the no 1 TE barring injury. Lewis has the blocking TE role right now. If Degaura woks out, Lewis may be cut. Degaura isn't fast enough to split out and with a loaded RB *********, putting him in the backfield takes valuable reps away from our talented RB's. For now, Degaura's snaps look to be limited.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How will Deguara fit into the offense? Most likely as a blocking TE in a 2 TE formation IMO. Sternberger is more athletic and will be the no 1 TE barring injury. Lewis has the blocking TE role right now. If Degaura woks out, Lewis may be cut. Degaura isn't fast enough to split out and with a loaded RB *********, putting him in the backfield takes valuable reps away from our talented RB's. For now, Degaura's snaps look to be limited.

He will instantly be a special teams starter and I think contributor for sure.

He will be the Vitale of this year, albeit IMO with better blocking chops and better hands - the dude is a pass catcher 100%.

Deguara is honestly a blend of both what Lewis does well and what Sternberger does well. Jace needs to block better, and Lewis while very sure handed just isn't a big TE threat outside of 7 to 8 yards. Deguara can literally do both, and he will IMO serve as a breather to both of those guys in situations and his flexibility for MLF to call plays on the fly that line him up in the back field, hand down on the line and then split in slot or standing off end of line is something he cannot do a lot of with Sternberger and not at all with Lewis. Deguara is an athletic versatile weapon that if he catches on to the playbook and the next level isn't too big for him can assuredly contribute on more than just special teams this year.

You are correct that he isn't a blazer speed wise though, although watch his tape...no he will never be a 4.55 TE but the dude plays faster than his controlled environment 40 time of 4.72. He is a little more raw than I wanted in the 3rd, had a few others circled I'd have taken...but when his name was called I wasn't ticked. I knew the records he'd broke of Kelce and Celek at Cinci..and his hard work and blocking chops. Like Michael Pittman is just a pure football player that does his duties well at the WR spot, Deguara in many respects is his TE comparison from this year's draft mentality wise.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, there wasn't a single evaluator I know of that graded Deguara as a third round pick. Obviously it doesn't matter as the Packers came to the conclusion that he was the best value with the 94th selection.

You forget that teams make a ton of mistakes on draft day as well though. With it being accepted that it takes three years to fairly evaluate a draft class let's revisit how the Packers did in 2017.

They completely messed up their first four selections in that draft by picking King, Jones, Adams and Biegel.

So, while it seems that most of you feel confident with whatever the team considers to be the best strategy I tend to form my own opinion on their selections and no matter what you want me to make believe I won't feel confident about this year's class until proven wrong on the field.

That's hilarious, it took only one post after you correctly posted that your opinion doesn't matter that you claim to know for a fact that a prospect won't work out.

Did I claim to know for a fact that DPJ won't work out? I just said I don't like him. Never said he wouldn't work out. That's a reach, even for you.

Your claim that you tend to form your own opinion on the prospects is amusing. You parrot whatever PFF says.

D

Deleted member 6794

He will instantly be a special teams starter and I think contributor for sure.

He will be the Vitale of this year, albeit IMO with better blocking chops and better hands - the dude is a pass catcher 100%.

Deguara is honestly a blend of both what Lewis does well and what Sternberger does well. Jace needs to block better, and Lewis while very sure handed just isn't a big TE threat outside of 7 to 8 yards.

The Packers need to do better than get a special teamer out of their third round pick. In addition Deguara had issues with drops last season and didn't come up with enough contested catches.

Did I claim to know for a fact that DPJ won't work out? I just said I don't like him. Never said he wouldn't work out. That's a reach, even for you.

Your claim that you tend to form your own opinion on the prospects is amusing. You parrot whatever PFF says.

Well, you being glad about a guy the Packers didn't take strongly indicates you think he doesn't work out. Aside of taking a look at PFF's big board I haven't even read anything about their draft coverage. Nice try though.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, you being glad about a guy the Packers didn't take strongly indicates you think he doesn't work out. Aside of taking a look at PFF's big board I haven't even read anything about their draft coverage. Nice try though.

Me thinking a guy won't succeed, is not the same as claiming for a fact he won't succeed. Even I'm not so brash to think I'm *that* good.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Vikings took HB Irv Smith Jr. for Kubiak's offense last year and he played 752 snaps total, 612 on offense. There is a large role for that position in this offense if the player is up to it. The ceiling on how much Deguara could play is a lot higher than Vitale's 170 snaps.

Juzczyk's 16 game pace on offense was 519 snaps.

Thinking that they drafted a ST only player at #94 demonstrates some serious ignorance in regards to this position and its role in the offense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I ponder the TE room and the lack of additions, the more cemented I am becoming in the camp of Deguara might be the guy to circle for uptick in production from previous years to the same degree I predict Lazard will as well (he is going to play, I understand he hasn't signed tender).

Deguara's rookie year was stolen from him by injury...and last year down the stretch it was like watching a light bulb literally come on, which is an excellent sign for the future.

From Week 8 till the end of the season - Josiah saw minimum of two targets a game, finished the season with 75%+ catch percentage and was part of over 40% of the offensive snaps from week 11 clear through playoffs. Yes, this is an effect of Tonyan's injury - however bringing up Tonyan, Deguara "statistically" is producing quicker than Tonyan did - which of course should be the case coming out of College much more touted than Tonyan was.

Deguara is that Juzczyk type TE/FB sized guy, only Evan Engram in the sub-6'4" height range has been apart of the leading TE in yards over the past few years...but I think that 300-400 yard production range is easily something we could see out of Josiah in 2022.

His 2021 line after barely playing the first 7 weeks, was 245 yards on 33 targets with 25 receptions. Chipping in 2 TDs and a 7.42 Y/Tgt rate and a 9.8 Y/C rate. Quietly, he was one of the most surehanded receiving options not named Davante for Rodgers.

I could see a world where if Tonyan comes back healthy (I predict will take some time) by seasons' mid-point we may see a TON of packages and drives where Tonyan and Deguara are the TEs with Lewis not out there as much of old (OL health key here however) as our offensive threats are definitely higher with Lewis out and Deguara/Tonyan in, which with an Adam-less roster could be of great assistance.

Either way I'm excited to see how Deguara does his third season, essentially his first true season he put up very good statlines for a TE...him progressing will be just another small piece in figuring out our receiving production in 2022.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The more I ponder the TE room and the lack of additions, the more cemented I am becoming in the camp of Deguara might be the guy to circle for uptick in production from previous years to the same degree I predict Lazard will as well (he is going to play, I understand he hasn't signed tender).
I agree that the coaches confidence level must be pretty high with Deguara. I think that they also like Davis. They know what they have in Marcedes and as you said, Tonyan is going to come back, but just how effective will he be? They didn't draft any TE's, nor did they sign any in the initial UDFA period. That kind of tells me where Gutes head is.

I view last season as Deguara's rookie year and he was sneaky good for a "rookie" that didn't really play much until the last half of the year. I really wasn't aware of his stats until you posted them.

Besides the rookie WR's, I would say he has the potential to be the biggest breakout player on offense in 2022.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the coaches confidence level must be pretty high with Deguara. I think that they also like Davis. They know what they have in Marcedes and as you said, Tonyan is going to come back, but just how effective will he be? They didn't draft any TE's, nor did they sign any in the initial UDFA period. That kind of tells me where Gutes head is.

I view last season as Deguara's rookie year and he was sneaky good for a "rookie" that didn't really play much until the last half of the year. I really wasn't aware of his stats until you posted them.

Besides the rookie WR's, I would say he has the potential to be the biggest breakout player on offense in 2022.

Had he done in the first 7 weeks like he did in the last half he honest to God would have pushed Tonyan's "break out" year yards wise, of course not the TD level because Robert's season was ATYPICAL.

Deguara truly was awesome for a "redshirt" rookie essentially.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope you are right. but i'm excited to see how tyler davis progresses this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Had he done in the first 7 weeks like he did in the last half he honest to God would have pushed Tonyan's "break out" year yards wise, of course not the TD level because Robert's season was ATYPICAL.

Deguara truly was awesome for a "redshirt" rookie essentially.
Sadly, I think Tonyan's 2020 TD's stats were an anomaly and I definitely would not set his pay based on those 2020 stats. Last season was supposed to be a reality check on Tonyan and that injury may have really stung him and his value, especially if Deguara ends up getting more playing time this season.

Reaction score
I was one of those that pressed getting a TE in the draft. Although I obviously don’t know the intricacies of player development, roles and expectations or future plans.

What the draft told me (in the silence at TE) was that our team sees something in our current TE group that they like. It might even be multiple players they see reaching production fruition around the same time.

Latest posts