2020 Packers 3rd round pick: Josiah Deguara, TE

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blind Green Bay fans: "Durr, we wasted a 1st on A backup QB, but let's see what we do for Rodgers!!"

Green Bay: Reaches at RB and TE. Kthanxbye

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty frustrated about this draft as well, but I want to point out that your "round grades" are worthless compared to a team's scouting. The most knowledgeable of us Google some big boards, read some mocks, watch a couple YouTube videos and think we know our stuff. That does not prepare you to accurately assess a player's value. Just saying.

But yes, I agree, we've filled zero needs and drafted a bunch of backups. I am not pleased. RB in the 2nd won't even be around by the time Love takes over. Why bother? Sign a washed vet or draft one later if you're giving up on the ARod window.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
While I was OK with Jordan Love as I thought that was a smart selection, pumped about AJ Dillion as he was one of my favorite RBs in this class, I absolutely hate this pick in the third round.
I thought there were better TEs on the table and I know there were better OTs. This pick I cannot get on board with.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lance Zierlein gave him a 6th Round Grade. Honestly I thought we could find him as an UDFA but 6th would be ok to secure him.

For a guy to jump a whole 3 rounds? I dunno....This guy better post 650+ yards of total offense by Year 2 with that kind of vote of confidence.
I knew absolutely nothing about him. However, he was a fast riser in the draft. I don't recall where I saw it, but one expert had him going in the first round.

Just not a fan of this draft for the Packers. Hope that I am dead wrong, but I don’t see a single starter that we have drafted for 2020.

Don’t jump off the top rope on me Dantés. :p Just not seeing it. Hopefully Gute and MLF see what I’m failing to.
No, probably no starters, but I think we got some good role players that could have a significant impact.
I remembered:

Jeremiah ranked Deguara #119 overall. I saw that a couple days ago and it caught my eye because I hadn't see him projected that high anywhere else.

Do with that what you will.
maybe not as big a reach as many of us thought. One of the worst picks/ biggest reaches was Ezra Clevelans in the 2nd. One expert had him going in the 4th.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This isn't Kiper in the 1980s. The scouting media is now comprised of and reliant upon actual scouts.

And most of the panned "reach" picks of the past years - Randall, Khyri Thornton, Richard Rodgers, Justin Harrell - have vindicated those appraisals. Likewise, the more highly projected prospects that we passed on - like Eric Kendricks and Aaron Lynch - have certainly panned out much more consistently than our projects.

You've missed the point.

If you are going to call a player a "reach" then you have to have some sort of standard by which you judge where they were supposed to go.

That standard would obviously have to be the media, in the case of fans.

NFL teams use their own scouting departments to create their own boards and draft accordingly.

So it makes zero sense to call NFL picks "reaches" or "steals" based on media boards, when NFL teams are drafting according to different boards entirely that we are not privy to.

If you are inclined to think Deguara or Dillon bad picks because the people you're reading seem to think so, I think that's fair. And we will see. I'm certainly not fired up about either one.

But picks are good or they're bad. Without seeing the boards by which actual decisions are made, it's impossible to call them reaches or steals.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking that maybe Deguara was picked to be our new slot. Tall lanky receivers don't really fit there. At the slot he could be a very good blocker for that position. He is big enough to take on some of the heavy hits that position gets. He has good hands and has a knack for finding the open area. Could work.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trivia Question:

Who has the most receptions by a TE in U of Cincinnati history?

1. Josiah Deguara
2. Travis Kelsey
3. Brent Celek

And by the way, Kelsey was drafted in the 3rd and Celek in rhe 5th.

Answer is Josiah. That is some interesting company he leads. And what is it about U of C with pumping out tight ends? Maybe the Gute is onto something.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Going from a pass first offense to a run first is an offensive rebuild.

I interpreted what was said as a team rebuild, not an offense rebuild. Also, the offense needs to be "sculpted/rebuilt" to fit LaFleur's offense and what he wants to install. LaFleur wasn't hired to transform his own style, to mirror what MM's philosophy was. Last year there were a lot of round pegs in square holes to what he wanted to do and he somehow pulled off a 13-3 season, using what he had on the roster... we are seeing guys being drafted that will fill the roles he needs to further implement his offense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mocked him once and liked him in the 4th, but clearly we liked him. This was what I posted back then:

Josiah Deguara TE Cincinnati...first time I've predicted us taking a middle round TE...and he is a unique one. His edge and willingness to never shut his motor off in ANY situation from head hunting post-interceptions to blocking down field on long runs, and holds ZERO fear of anyone fighting for a ball or yards. His skillset and abilities seem to fit a TE#2 projections well with special teams contributor being a huge factor in his value. While his ceiling is not high, his floor is incredibly high honestly. (was a great pass catching threat in high school, and is a three sport athlete)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I interpreted what was said as a team rebuild, not an offense rebuild. Also, the offense needs to be "sculpted/rebuilt" to fit LaFleur's offense and what he wants to install. LaFleur wasn't hired to transform his own style, to mirror what MM's philosophy was. Last year there were a lot of round pegs in square holes to what he wanted to do and he somehow pulled off a 13-3 season, using what he had on the roster... we are seeing guys being drafted that will fill the roles he needs to further implement his offense.
I just hope he remains? flexible and uses what he has instead of absolutely relying on his playbook.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Gutecantdraft picks up a running back who is a specimen surely, but can only run in one direction, to replace the most dynamic running back we've had in years. Wow, you just can't make this stuff up.

I don't call it replacing... I call it complimenting. RB by committee just like before. San Fran had 4 RB's all contribute last year. Dillon is Matt's Derrick Henry...what he had in Tennessee before coming to Green Bay. Run first offense with a lot of 2 TE sets, sounds pretty explanatory to what he wants to do offensively. The 30 years of pass first offense is over, this is the new Packers offensive scheme. You don't have to like it, but if you don't accept it you are going to be miserable going forward.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I just hope he remains? flexible and uses what he has instead of absolutely relying on his playbook.

I'm sure he will...he already said Rodgers is our QB going forward, and Rodgers will still throw the ball. Our TE usage should help Rodgers for sure, and the running game will make it so we don't have to solely rely on a 36 yr olds arm to win every game.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remembered:

Jeremiah ranked Deguara #119 overall. I saw that a couple days ago and it caught my eye because I hadn't see him projected that high anywhere else.

Do with that what you will.
#119 ranked TE or player???? :/)

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguara set to wear No. 81 for the Pack.

Such a lame number....for a lame pick.

(No offense Desmond Howard)

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I slept on it. I think the packers are trying to mirror Kyle Shannahans offense. Degura could be used more as a Kyle Juszczyk type player and may fit that role well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Deguara and Keene were projected near one another nearly everywhere as comparable prospects. New England just traded back into round 3 to take the latter. I guess he didn't get the memo about the 6th round.
Fire Belichick!

Members online