2020 Packers 3rd round pick: Josiah Deguara, TE

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Just not a fan of this draft for the Packers. Hope that I am dead wrong, but I don’t see a single starter that we have drafted for 2020.

Don’t jump off the top rope on me Dantés. :p Just not seeing it. Hopefully Gute and MLF see what I’m failing to.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just not a fan of this draft for the Packers. Hope that I am dead wrong, but I don’t see a single starter that we have drafted for 2020.

Don’t jump off the top rope on me Dantés. :p Just not seeing it. Hopefully Gute and MLF see what I’m failing to.

I'm not either. I really wanted help at WR and OL. This is nothing like what I thought it would be.

I'm going after the fools who think they know anything about these players before they've played a down, or who think that picks were "reaches" or "steals" based on media rankings.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Let me illustrate a point.

Here are my expert TE rankings:

1. Josiah Deguara, Cincinnati, 1st round

2. Everyone else, Wherever, Whenever who cares

According to my rankings, the Packers got a major steal at #94! This guy was supposed to go way earlier! Score!

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if it matters our draft grades from media consensus on the first three rounds are:
Round 1 - D
Round 2 - C
Round 3 - C-

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That right there. That's what makes no sense to me. If the teams had him graded in that range, there was no leap. Doesn't make it a good or bad pick, but when you talk about leaps, reaches, and slides, you're assuming that NFL teams and the media are working off the same boards.

I'm not either. I really wanted help at WR and OL. This is nothing like what I thought it would be.

I'm going after the fools who think they know anything about these players before they've played a down, or who think that picks were "reaches" or "steals" based on media rankings.

Well as a "Self-proclaimed draft expert" (or fool) to me he's a bust by draft position. For a 3rd Rounder, I'm expecting some decent production out the gate; and if he's mostly riding the bench well into the season, it's a wasted pick. He could stick around for a couple years as a utility player before going to New England and getting a big payday, but you don't draft utility players in the 3rd Round.

PackerFan21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worst 3 rounds in the NFL draft hands down. We drafted 2 backups and a professional special teams player that we could have gotten in the 6th round. Oh and we traded our 4th round pick to move up to take a backup Qb...un-flipping believable!!

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are shifting to a run first offense. Therefore our draft board looks different than most teams. This looks like a good pick for ML's offense good blocker great hands

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its like nobody in the organization is acknowledging their weaknesses from last season or am I missing something and all the solutions are on the current roster?

We are thinking alike. This is the kind of draft you make if you've just won the Super Bowl. Gute & Co. seem to believe this is a Super Bowl caliber roster going into the draft.
We'll see.

As for Josiah Deguara, my favorite projection is CBS Sports' list and I see they have him going in the 300s. We'll see.

For the record, that same projection has Jordan Love rated as the 19th best player overall.
We'll see.

Yes, I am aware that the CBS Sports list is not the only one, it usually comes out early, and I view it as informative but, not gospel.
We'll see.

[Irish tea has a wonderful calming effect]

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me illustrate a point.

Here are my expert TE rankings:

1. Josiah Deguara, Cincinnati, 1st round

2. Everyone else, Wherever, Whenever who cares

According to my rankings, the Packers got a major steal at #94! This guy was supposed to go way earlier! Score!
Second coming of Gronk

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It’s more clear than ever what the ultimate vision for this offense is by Gute and MLF.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well as a "Self-proclaimed draft expert" (or fool) to me he's a bust by draft position. For a 3rd Rounder, I'm expecting some decent production out the gate; and if he's mostly riding the bench well into the season, it's a wasted pick. He could stick around for a couple years as a utility player before going to New England and getting a big payday, but you don't draft utility players in the 3rd Round.

And maybe that's what he will be and the pick will suck. I'm not here to tell you to love the pick. Frankly, I do not love the pick. I'm just pointing out the absurdity of saying than an NFL team, with its own board, evaluations, and... yaknow, full on scouting and personnel departs, "reached" because of what something in the media says.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are shifting to a run first offense. Therefore our draft board looks different than most teams. This looks like a good pick for ML's offense good blocker great hands
Why would we be doing that if we have a prolific passer as a QB and the entire league is a pass happy track meet
It makes ZERO sense to pay AR the most of anyone in the league to just hand off the ball.
Also our line is not set up personal wise to consistently run the ball snd the tight ends are a way too small..... bad plan

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way they're drafting not sure why Martinez wasn't resigned with a 100 million dollar deal.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I remembered:

Jeremiah ranked Deguara #119 overall. I saw that a couple days ago and it caught my eye because I hadn't see him projected that high anywhere else.

Do with that what you will.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
And maybe that's what he will be and the pick will suck. I'm not here to tell you to love the pick. Frankly, I do not love the pick. I'm just pointing out the absurdity of saying than an NFL team, with its own board, evaluations, and... yaknow, full on scouting and personnel departs, "reached" because of what something in the media says.

Totally agree. Watching the draft on TV, I didn't hear any of the analysts say anything negative about Dillon or Deguara, much less say they were over drafted. Both were productive during their college careers, and hopefully that continues with the Packers. Who's to say Dillon is a backup, especially in Green Bay where it is running back by committee. I can see Jones getting the bulk of the carries, but I see Dillon getting at least 10 touches per game. He will most likely be utilized in short yardage situations starting out, but the guy ran for 1600 yards last year and weighs 245-250. LaFleur was in Tennessee when they drafted Henry...this is his Henry. Deguara projects as an H-Back, and in the pre-draft process, I heard or read numerous times they were spending a lot of time with the H-Back position. Not all TE's fit in that spot, but Deguara does, not to mention over the last 2 years, he had 77 rec, 972 yds, and 12 TD's, plus they said he just seems to always get open. Is there a chance none of these guys work out, sure, but jfc, give these guys a chance to prove themselves before giving up on them before a snap has even been made.

This is the new Packers, the change is starting, with running the focus and TE's a focal point of the offense. We have drafted 2 TE's, in back to back years, both in the 3rd rd. It is hard to get used to after 30 years of slinging it all over the field with Brett and Aaron. This is the what the philosophy is of Coach LaFleur, and if anyone thought for a minute he was going to change is being proven wrong. Last year was his first season and couldn't totally makeover the offensive roster.

I've been frustrated to a point also, everyone is. We all figured we would have drafted a WR. I think the frustrating part is with the deepest WR draft ever, and WR being a need, we haven't taken anyone yet, and there have been 17 WR's drafted through 3 rds. Furthermore, we don't pick again until the end of the 5th rd., barring a trade up. I actually hope we don't trade up, as we only have 6 picks left, and would like to see WR, OT, IOL, DT, CB, and LB hopefully addressed.

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So i keep hearing Green Bay is transitioning to a run heavy offense. Why then did we need a project QB in the first round and waste a 4rd to trade up? Running the ball more would only extend Rodgers career (barring injury). I think most people are confused about Gutes draft board and cant see how these pics could have been the best available players at that pic. By the way i dont hate the picks, just not sure we should be in rebuild mode after making it to the NFC champ game.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
So i keep hearing Green Bay is transitioning to a run heavy offense. Why then did we need a project QB in the first round and waste a 4rd to trade up? Running the ball more would only extend Rodgers career (barring injury). I think most people are confused about Gutes draft board and cant see how these pics could have been the best available players at that pic. By the way i dont hate the picks, just not sure we should be in rebuild mode after making it to the NFC champ game.
It's not really rebuild mode, it's more drafting guys that fit what LaFleur wants to do offensively, moving forward. Rodgers can be successful with the personnel he is drafting, and so can Love if Aaron gets injured, or decides to retire.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That right there. That's what makes no sense to me. If the teams had him graded in that range, there was no leap. Doesn't make it a good or bad pick, but when you talk about leaps, reaches, and slides, you're assuming that NFL teams and the media are working off the same boards.

This isn't Kiper in the 1980s. The scouting media is now comprised of and reliant upon actual scouts.

And most of the panned "reach" picks of the past years - Randall, Khyri Thornton, Richard Rodgers, Justin Harrell - have vindicated those appraisals. Likewise, the more highly projected prospects that we passed on - like Eric Kendricks and Aaron Lynch - have certainly panned out much more consistently than our projects.

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not really rebuild mode, it's more drafting guys that fit what LaFleur wants to do offensively, moving forward. Rodgers can be successful with the personnel he is drafting, and so can Love if Aaron gets injured, or decides to retire.
Going from a pass first offense to a run first is an offensive rebuild. I agree Rodgers can win with a run first offense and so could Love or alot of other QBs. I still think Gute is drafting for needs and not best player available.

Reaction score
Just a note from Combine TE group:

40 yard dash he was .06 hundredth second from #2

Bench Press Josiah was #1

Vertical was #4

Broad Jump tied for #9

3-Cone #5

20 yard shuttle #6

Physically he’s an all around strong athlete. He’s listed between 6’2-3” at 240-244. So while he’s on the smaller size for the TE group as a whole, he’s one of the strongest TE’s in the group with 25 reps at 225lb, which shows he makes up for size in raw strength.

Packers got themselves 3 highly athletic players at QB, RB and TE.

Last edited:

JL56

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, lets see, we got a clip board holder on day one (for a first and a fourth round pick) and two special teams players today. Gutecantdraft shouldn't have tapped the kegerator. I used to laugh at some of the Bears draft boards, but they have nothing on the Packers now. Don't give me this "now we just have to wait and see" Pollyanna drivel. We lived through Thompsons bad imitation of Ron Wolf for whatever it was 15 years, now we have to watch Gutecantdraft do a bad imitation of Thompson doing a bad imitation. Last season we had an all world quarterback who had one legitimate receiver to throw to. This coming season we'll have an all world quarterback with one legitimate receiver to throw to. Gutecantdraft picks up a running back who is a specimen surely, but can only run in one direction, to replace the most dynamic running back we've had in years. Wow, you just can't make this stuff up.
Rodgers fell into our lap, and no, we couldn't pass him up, but he was a legit big league QB. He was by far the best QB in that draft class. We got really, really, lucky. If I were him, I'd have my agent put the word out. He's got 4-5 more good years left I believe, and if I were him, I'd want to spend it with a team who wants to win NOW.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont wanna harp on MLF scheme as his offensive idea could work. I liked what we were doing during the stretch of games when Adams was out.

Its just that why go run heavy while we got Rodgers still.