2020 Football for Bucky

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing, the NFL has had THE most time to prepare as well as probably the deepest pockets to spend on getting prepared. I give them a big fat fail on not having all sorts of Plan A-D, depending on the state of things.

I really think the NCAA and the NFL were way to overly optimistic on things being improved by the start of their perspective seasons. Because of that, both seemed to be really slow to except the fact that nothing about the virus has really changed much in the last 5 or so months. Heck, both leagues were still talking about having a limited amount of fans at games and I still haven't heard if the NFL has even nixed that idea.

IMO, both the NBA and NHL have had the smartest approach with putting their teams in the bubbles. Obviously, they were halfway into their seasons before the stoppage, but they still have been very smart in the way they have gone about trying to finish those seasons.

Now maybe we aren't hearing every thing and the NFL is being tight lipped, not wanting to lose fans, but they seem to be moving at the pace of turtles, ones with their heads buried in the sand. Stuck in their way of thinking that they can successfully have a 4-5 month full season, outside of a bubble.
It all has to do with a River in Eastern Africa, I believe its called...."Da Nile" :cool:
Sums it up pretty well. Or an ostrich with its head in the sand.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The decision to wear a mask is a personal one. I follow the scientists who suggest wearing a mask. I'm not gonna yell at people who decide otherwise. I'll just avoid them. And the pandemic will continue to grow.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The decision to wear a mask is a personal one. I follow the scientists who suggest wearing a mask. I'm not gonna yell at people who decide otherwise. I'll just avoid them. And the pandemic will continue to grow.
this wasn't a debate on masks. You don't even have to answer me. It's not even me, anybody, you see them without a mask, what's your initial reaction? that was the point. You asked how it became political or why it is.

It was merely an example. one I thought was rather obvious. People are trained to react. Don't think you are? did you care about a mask last year? why not? infectious disease is not new to 2020 and neither are deaths. But here we are today and people react, usually very strongly. They know how smart this person is, they know their education level, they know what kind of mother/father/brother/sister etc they are. and they put them in a political category immediately. They've trained you in a few short months. anybody not is obviously and uneducated trump supporter right?

too bad some of you weren't at dinner with us a couple weeks ago. The credential list was rather extensive. a fairly well known ortho who has worked on people everyone is hoping to see on Sundays this year had some pretty interesting takes about this very issue. definitely not uneducated and you wouldn't have a clue what his political leanings were.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this wasn't a debate on masks. You don't even have to answer me. It's not even me, anybody, you see them without a mask, what's your initial reaction? that was the point. You asked how it became political or why it is.

It was merely an example. one I thought was rather obvious. People are trained to react. Don't think you are? did you care about a mask last year? why not? infectious disease is not new to 2020 and neither are deaths. But here we are today and people react, usually very strongly. They know how smart this person is, they know their education level, they know what kind of mother/father/brother/sister etc they are. and they put them in a political category immediately. They've trained you in a few short months. anybody not is obviously and uneducated trump supporter right?

too bad some of you weren't at dinner with us a couple weeks ago. The credential list was rather extensive. a fairly well known ortho who has worked on people everyone is hoping to see on Sundays this year had some pretty interesting takes about this very issue. definitely not uneducated and you wouldn't have a clue what his political leanings were.
I didn't mean to start or join a debate, just to state what I felt after reading a few back and forth posts. I wasn't even replying to you Mondio. And as for your educated friend, I simply don't care what his political leanings are. The only political leaning I care about is my own.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did it get so political? how's this, I say I won't wear a mask.

What feelings do you get, what do you automatically assume about me?

Then ask yourself how this became political. See if you get it.

It got political because it is an election year. EVERYTHING is political these days. :cautious:

I can understand why some folks hate these masks. I hate em even tho I will wear the darn thing. They make by glasses fog up like crazy and my nose itch. I can put up with wearing it in stores, etc., but I can't imagine wearing one all day long.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
2000+ new cases today. 17% of those tested. Wisconsin just keeps blowing up.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2000+ new cases today. 17% of those tested. Wisconsin just keeps blowing up.
almost every single one can be tagged to college aged students, 18-24 big surprise. They're all together and they're testing every single one of them. and really probably for the best, get to in school and keep them at school. they'll be thru it before you know it. they have about 1.5% chance of needing any medical attention at all and so far in this state that age group accounts for 0% off the intensive care patients and 0% of deaths. actually there have been 9 deaths in the 20-29 range, but that's a different age breakdown than the 18-24 they use to track new cases. Regardless, 9 deaths in almost 7 months in a state of almost 6 million? I think more people drowned in the Mississippi while I was in school at La Crosse.

25-34 had every so slight drop in average, rest have had every so slight rises in the past couple weeks.

Oh, and Bucky Football is back. well in October anyway.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
If they can stay away from the partying.

2000 ... That's a 2 followed by 3 zeroes man. Herd immunity seems to be our only hope.

...and only in the USA ...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can stay away from the partying.

2000 ... That's a 2 followed by 3 zeroes man. Herd immunity seems to be our only hope.

...and only in the USA ...
They can't they're young, just like we were. Throw kids in the middle of **** occupied france getting shot at and they still found ways to charm the ladies and find some vino. and I don't blame them.

The keep saying it's only the USA with lots of articles to shame us all into compliance. I stopped paying attention to them when the top 5 EU countries had more deaths by a few tens of thousands, that was at least a 2 followed by 5 zeros. I actually think it was roughly a 4 and 5 zeros but they were telling us how we were wrong and they were "right"

I've witnessed enough shenanigans professionally and personally in the the past 7 months to trust very little that is out there for public consumption.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They're all together and they're testing every single one of them.
Not every one but a random sample plus any that report sick or a contact trace per my university enrolled daughter.
and really probably for the best, get to in school and keep them at school. they'll be thru it before you know it.
I agree they are safer there than sending them home possibly infected. From what we know now and theorized even then, colleges should have opened back up after spring break last spring. We'd have avoided the summer crunch and the latest spike.
they still found ways to charm the ladies
HEY!! my baby girl is one of those ladies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I know, all our state schools are supposed to be testing every dorm student, every incoming freshman, which is mostly covered by dorm students, and random populations after that.

regardless, it shouldn’t come as any surprise they’re driving the numbers up and it really isn’t all that concerning

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Heck, UW-Oshkosh is testing their sewage ... Which would make my now retired brother very happy. He is a DNR certified waste water treatment facility turd herder.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Heck, UW-Oshkosh is testing their sewage ... Which would make my now retired brother very happy. He is a DNR certified waste water treatment facility turd herder.
I think sewage testing of apartment building was used in S.Korea. They knew where to concentrate resources early on.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OSU seems to have its hands full with Nebraska so far today so next week is going to be a lot tougher than going up against Illinios.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
OSU seems to have its hands full with Nebraska so far today so next week is going to be a lot tougher than going up against Illinios.

Buckeyes always seem to come out of the gate slow, but Nebraska does look improved. The final couple of minutes of the first half sure saw a couple of terrible calls go the Buckeyes way.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyes always seem to come out of the gate slow, but Nebraska does look improved. The final couple of minutes of the first half sure saw a couple of terrible calls go the Buckeyes way.
I respect your opinion Poker. Yet OSU beat Nebraska 52-17 and the Badgers clobbered Illinois 45-7. Something tells me OSU can handle Illinois.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I respect your opinion Poker. Yet OSU beat Nebraska 52-17 and the Badgers clobbered Illinois 45-7. Something tells me OSU can handle Illinois.

I think you misread the posts. Nobody was talking about OSU playing Illinois. It was posts about Nebraska. I said Nebraska looked improved (first half post) but pointed out that OSU usually comes out of the gate slow. I think the second half proved my point.

I think the Badgers will beat Nebraska, but I think they might put up a bigger fight than Illinois did against the Badgers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Nebraska’s offense will definitely be a tough test for our defense. They have almost everyone back on offense. I’m curious to see if the Wisconsin run-blocking improves any in game 2. Was very inconsistent against Illinois. They have some cleaning up to do.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’m curious to see if the Wisconsin run-blocking improves any in game 2. Was very inconsistent against Illinois. They have some cleaning up to do.

I think they will be fine. Jon Dietzen coming out of retirement helps and I think it's just a matter of a few games before they get their timing down as a unit and with Mertz behind center. Also, its a lot more difficult to start your season right out of the gate against a Big10 opponent VS a school like "The University of Southwestern Arkansas Cosmic Realms Institute".

I would be more concerned about the RB's themselves. I know some people want to point to backs like Taylor, Gordon, Clement, White, etc. as being just average backs made great by a top tier OL, but I think Nakia Watson is a definite downgrade from JT.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you misread the posts. Nobody was talking about OSU playing Illinois. It was posts about Nebraska. I said Nebraska looked improved (first half post) but pointed out that OSU usually comes out of the gate slow. I think the second half proved my point.

I think the Badgers will beat Nebraska, but I think they might put up a bigger fight than Illinois did against the Badgers.
"Nobody was talking about OSU playing Illinois. It was posts about Nebraska. I said Nebraska looked improved (first half post) but pointed out that OSU usually comes out of the gate slow."

Kinda sounds like a post about the Illinois and OSU game.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Terrific performance last night.Michigan is a hot mess right now no doubt but the Badgers executed very well given the odd circumstances they’ve been dealing with. The coaching staff is doing an absolutely phenomenal job.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrific performance last night.Michigan is a hot mess right now no doubt but the Badgers executed very well given the odd circumstances they’ve been dealing with. The coaching staff is doing an absolutely phenomenal job.
Agree. Hopefully Mertz will continue to improve and give UW a real QB for the first time since Wilson't days in Madison. Big test this weekend against Northwestern.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree. Hopefully Mertz will continue to improve and give UW a real QB for the first time since Wilson't days in Madison. Big test this weekend against Northwestern.
Yes it is. They almost always make both the Badgers coaches and players look bad down in Evanston.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it is. They almost always make both the Badgers coaches and players look bad down in Evanston.
Good point. I don't know what it is about NW, but they always seem to give Bucky fits, whether they're ranked or not.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Badgers are considered a BIG win for teams like Northwestern, so I am sure they are usually quite pumped up to play us. Given that the Badgers season is down to a total of 6 games, this one and the remaining 3 are HUGE for Bucky, so I hope Paul C. can get his boys motivated.