2024 Badger Football

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I'm always reminded of Michael Jordan did not play organized basketball until junior year of high school. or so the legend states.
This is myth. He was a three sport athlete and all star. He got cut from his varsity basketball team due to being to short. He played on JV. He was always in the program.

The one I always point to is Antonio Gates. He was a basketball all star and played at Kent State. He was part of a team that got to the Elite Eight. It was quite the run. He never played football in college and then became a hall of fame TE. Really just came down to him being a great athlete. Point is, I'm not sure how much specializing in sports helps. I guess it all works out in the end.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So much for the unicorn land belief of the STUDENT athlete. Go someplace that lets me play ball even if I don't get the best education for my future.
Let's be honest though, for many of the players, football IS their education and desired career path. Yes, there are a few that are also elite students and maybe for those guys, a diploma from the UW means more than one from Car Wash Tech. However, if I am a guy who is struggling in school and not seeing much playing time on the field, I'm transferring to a team that I will at least get one last crack at proving my skills on the field.

I said it in a previous post, but until Universities stop trying to fool themselves, as well as everyone else, they are going to continue to label these guys "Student Athletes". When in reality many of them are "Athletes, that must be students to play".

Would the NCAA except a New College called "University of Athletics, where grades don't matter, but your performance on the field/court does." Imagine if that actually took off and all the elite athletes that didn't want to bother with school flocked to it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Point is, I'm not sure how much specializing in sports helps. I guess it all works out in the end.
It only works out for a small number though, at least on a professional level. However, as I eluded to above, Sports is the reason that many guys continue on to college. If their weren't college athletics or they weren't good enough to advance to that next level, their sports careers end and they move on to Plan B.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest though, for many of the players, football IS their education and desired career path. Yes, there are a few that are also elite students and maybe for those guys, a diploma from the UW means more than one from Car Wash Tech. However, if I am a guy who is struggling in school and not seeing much playing time on the field, I'm transferring to a team that I will at least get one last crack at proving my skills on the field.

I said it in a previous post, but until Universities stop trying to fool themselves, as well as everyone else, they are going to continue to label these guys "Student Athletes". When in reality many of them are "Athletes, that must be students to play".

Would the NCAA except a New College called "University of Athletics, where grades don't matter, but your performance on the field/court does." Imagine if that actually took off and all the elite athletes that didn't want to bother with school flocked to it.
Actually, there are a lot of schools that tailor unbelievably simple courses of studies for student athletes to keep them eligible. We aren't far removed from when an astronomy class, and several sports related courses that are meaningless, were part of their offerings.

I look at some of these kids and realize they really are getting a top level education, and some of them aren't being taught enough to tie their shoes. If you look around, and see how many are actually using their education as a career, it's gruesome. There are those out there who are lucky to get jobs as janitors.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually, there are a lot of schools that tailor unbelievably simple courses of studies for student athletes to keep them eligible. We aren't far removed from when an astronomy class, and several sports related courses that are meaningless, were part of their offerings.

I look at some of these kids and realize they really are getting a top level education, and some of them aren't being taught enough to tie their shoes. If you look around, and see how many are actually using their education as a career, it's gruesome. There are those out there who are lucky to get jobs as janitors.

Agree with all this. Which is why I say that even the Universities like UW Madison that claim they strive for education excellence should just drop the BS appearances and not lump those wanting a "sports education" with an "academic education". Acceptance into and staying in the College should not be based only on "GPA" in what I would term "Academic High".

Those people wanting to come to a University to better their chances of landing a paying (professional) job in Sports should be treated as such. They may not have gotten C's and above in Reading, writing and arithmetic, but I bet they ran circles around everyone else in gym class. Give that person a shot at furthering themselves in a college program in athletics. For classes, teach them about things pertinent to being an athlete; such as nutrition, money management, anatomy, training, etc.

How many more years are these colleges going to keep pretending that they can fit square pegs in round holes? Even after they are in those holes, they continue to hide the fact that they really don't fit, but are needed for the success of the University?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with all this. Which is why I say that even the Universities like UW Madison that claim they strive for education excellence should just drop the BS appearances and not lump those wanting a "sports education" with an "academic education". Acceptance into and staying in the College should not be based only on "GPA" in what I would term "Academic High".

Those people wanting to come to a University to better their chances of landing a paying (professional) job in Sports should be treated as such. They may not have gotten C's and above in Reading, writing and arithmetic, but I bet they ran circles around everyone else in gym class. Give that person a shot at furthering themselves in a college program in athletics. For classes, teach them about things pertinent to being an athlete; such as nutrition, money management, anatomy, training, etc.

How many more years are these colleges going to keep pretending that they can fit square pegs in round holes? Even after they are in those holes, they continue to hide the fact that they really don't fit, but are needed for the success of the University?
Something that's always intrigued me is the idea that there could be a second avenue to making it to the NFL that's unexplored. Yes, there is sandlot football, and semi-pro football, as well as the XFL, etc, but that's not what I mean. I'm thinking in terms of minor league football, that would allow young people coming out of high school, who aren't interested in, or capable of making it in college, to pursue opportunities in the sport.

Let's face it, the NBA has the G-League, and baseball has their minor leagues. So does hockey. Even professional soccer has lower levels, where young players hone their skills, and can move up to the big time in their chosen sport.

Football needs this. They need to fund a 32 team slate of teams, just like the NFL. They should play their games in respectable sized stadiums, and the players on any given team are actually signed to the minor league contracts, by their respective teams. Expensive? Yes. But, as time went on, they could start to show profit, and probably even end up having TV contracts that would be substantial. A simple solution as to how to handle it would be to schedule all their games on a day that wouldn't interfere with college or pro football. I think Monday nights would be perfect. Just eliminate the NFL Monday Night game.

Sixteen games on Monday night, and TV for all of them, quite a bit like we see for the NFL. Make the games available in the same markets as each team who owns the minor league team has. Let people see some of the players that just might become future stars on their respective NFL teams.

I'd say this league should only be available for kids coming out of high school, and for 4 years after that, with a maximum players age possible.... something like 24.

Of course this play would weaken the college programs considerably if kids could drafted out of HS, or when they turn 18, in a draft about the same as the NFL draft is today, and base it on the team's previous year's records. Year one, use the parent team's record to determine slots.

It would put a whole new twist on some of these issues. Kids could try out as free agents for teams if not picked, or dropped. They could also make some money out of it. This could change the whole landscape of the journey in pro football. A lot of talent that just can't get into college would have a shot at the gold ring.

Just a thought that wandered around in my head at times.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Something that's always intrigued me is the idea that there could be a second avenue to making it to the NFL that's unexplored. Yes, there is sandlot football, and semi-pro football, as well as the XFL, etc, but that's not what I mean. I'm thinking in terms of minor league football, that would allow young people coming out of high school, who aren't interested in, or capable of making it in college, to pursue opportunities in the sport.

Let's face it, the NBA has the G-League, and baseball has their minor leagues. So does hockey. Even professional soccer has lower levels, where young players hone their skills, and can move up to the big time in their chosen sport.

Football needs this. They need to fund a 32 team slate of teams, just like the NFL. They should play their games in respectable sized stadiums, and the players on any given team are actually signed to the minor league contracts, by their respective teams. Expensive? Yes. But, as time went on, they could start to show profit, and probably even end up having TV contracts that would be substantial. A simple solution as to how to handle it would be to schedule all their games on a day that wouldn't interfere with college or pro football. I think Monday nights would be perfect. Just eliminate the NFL Monday Night game.

Sixteen games on Monday night, and TV for all of them, quite a bit like we see for the NFL. Make the games available in the same markets as each team who owns the minor league team has. Let people see some of the players that just might become future stars on their respective NFL teams.

I'd say this league should only be available for kids coming out of high school, and for 4 years after that, with a maximum players age possible.... something like 24.

Of course this play would weaken the college programs considerably if kids could drafted out of HS, or when they turn 18, in a draft about the same as the NFL draft is today, and base it on the team's previous year's records. Year one, use the parent team's record to determine slots.

It would put a whole new twist on some of these issues. Kids could try out as free agents for teams if not picked, or dropped. They could also make some money out of it. This could change the whole landscape of the journey in pro football. A lot of talent that just can't get into college would have a shot at the gold ring.

Just a thought that wandered around in my head at times.
XFL, world league, USFL all were attempts at pro development leagues. Stands aren't very full. Who won the spring league title? How many teams were there?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
XFL, world league, USFL all were attempts at pro development leagues. Stands aren't very full. Who won the spring league title? How many teams were there?
That's the problem. It doesn't represent the teams. It would have to be a minor league system. Each NFL team would have it's own development team. It's expensive, but the results would be amazing.

Roughly 50% of the players in the G-League make it into the NBA. The players on each team are actually under contract to the NBA team they represent. The attendance? Not too good, but some teams actually average over 4,000 per game. It actually has been shown to be higher in locations where they've made it a point to televise games. Even if it's only televising road games for free, and having the home games behind a fairly priced paid service would really help fill seats.

I don't believe the figure of 50% is attainable for minor league football, but I do think it could go as high as 20 to 25%, but that's just a guess, based on the level of talent that's out there. To make it work, the minor league team would use the same offense and defense, along with nomenclature, as their sponsor. That way, every player on that team would essentially be a "two-way player," just like the present day practice squad. You could establish a similar way of handling call ups, with some changes.

I honestly think it would work. The profit levels for NFL teams, and the salaries for players, wouldn't really take much of a hit. The only reason they aren't doing something like that now is that they've allowed themselves to feed off the college ranks, because it's "free."

To make it work right, you'd have to strongly consider that your minor league team should be located in a city in your present footprint of fans. As an example, the Packers would probably choose Milwaukee, or Madison, but they could pick out another city where they think attendance and side income would be better. Chicago, as an example, could choose Rockford, Springfield, or even a suburb of Chicago. As an example, the Chicago Blackhawks minor league team is in Rockford, and they are a huge success because people see players who can and will be on the ice for the 'Hawks in the future. It's the link that makes it most interesting.

The NFL talks about reaching out to foreign markets to make more money. Yet, they don't even reach out in the US, to bring their game to more people. It's also a way of hooking more fans into support of the parent team. It happened in Rockford. The interest in hockey was so low before the Ice Hogs that it was just a short article in the papers. Now it's big time headlines, and dominates the sports on radio and TV, because there's that link to the Blackhawks.

I'm just throwing out ideas here. Not saying it's going to happen. The fact is, NFL teams don't want to part with a nickel for anything.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So...... a very fitting and appropriate end to the 2023 season for Fickell and Mordecai. What a colossal meltdown. Thank God this crappy season has finally ended. Easily my least favorite in at least 15 years.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So...... a very fitting and appropriate end to the 2023 season for Fickell and Mordecai. What a colossal meltdown. Thank God this crappy season has finally ended. Easily my least favorite in at least 15 years.
It had its moments. At least they did not get skunked like Iowa did today.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I thought the Badgers did quite well. Some people have said that we couldn't beat LSU when they had a scrub QB in the lineup. That's not true. It is true he was the 2nd string QB, but remember, the LSU QB, ahead of him, was Jaden Daniels who won this year's Heisman Trophy. Nussmeier is probably going to be the LSU starting QB next year, and the following year. He's a good QB. He should be, because he gets more coaching than most at the position. He's been getting it all his life from his Dad, who played QB in the NFL for about 5 or 6 years, and is the QB coach for the Chargers, and has held coaching jobs at several stops, in college as well. He knows the job.

Don't be surprised if Nussmeier's name doesn't come up next year as a candidate for being the top QB in the SEC. He's a good one. What we saw yesterday was an example.

As to weakness, remember the Badgers were without several players on defense, who had opted out for the NFL draft, and decided to use the portal. That certainly didn't hurt matters.

I figured from the get-go that the Badgers would win 8 games. They pretty darned close. I'm more than satisfied with where the offense is heading, and I can see their recruitment to help the defense is on it's way for next year. They're going to be tough to beat this new year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, I thought the Badgers did quite well. Some people have said that we couldn't beat LSU when they had a scrub QB in the lineup. That's not true. It is true he was the 2nd string QB, but remember, the LSU QB, ahead of him, was Jaden Daniels who won this year's Heisman Trophy. Nussmeier is probably going to be the LSU starting QB next year, and the following year. He's a good QB. He should be, because he gets more coaching than most at the position. He's been getting it all his life from his Dad, who played QB in the NFL for about 5 or 6 years, and is the QB coach for the Chargers, and has held coaching jobs at several stops, in college as well. He knows the job.

Don't be surprised if Nussmeier's name doesn't come up next year as a candidate for being the top QB in the SEC. He's a good one. What we saw yesterday was an example.

As to weakness, remember the Badgers were without several players on defense, who had opted out for the NFL draft, and decided to use the portal. That certainly didn't hurt matters.

I figured from the get-go that the Badgers would win 8 games. They pretty darned close. I'm more than satisfied with where the offense is heading, and I can see their recruitment to help the defense is on it's way for next year. They're going to be tough to beat this new year.
I think I should jump aboard your happy train. It would improve my mental health. I'm currently thoroughly disgusted with what I saw this past season. On to basketball and hockey full bore now.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I should jump aboard your happy train. It would improve my mental health. I'm currently thoroughly disgusted with what I saw this past season. On to basketball and hockey full bore now.
I'm normally more of a pessimist than an optimist. This is different. The Badgers would have won that game yesterday if Braelon Allen had been out there. He has been the key to our offense for so long that you can't just lose him for a game and expect to do well when it happens.

Then there's the issue of us losing two or three of our top defensive linemen, our top interior linebacker, and one of our starting CBs to the portal and draft. We also lost at least one starter on the offensive line, and two of our best WRs as well.

That may not be a problem for the average SEC team, but for the Badgers,that's a team preparing for the future, it's a death blow on game day.

By the end of the game, the Badgers defense was wore down. They didn't have fresh bodies to throw out there. In fact, there were a couple of guys who got out on the field with the defensive line near the end, that rarely had any game time except in clean up for the entire year. We just didn't have the depth of experience that LSU had.

But, next year, it will be a different story. A little more growth, but still, at least 3 losses, maybe 4. When you look at the schedule you'll know why. But in 2025? They're going to be in the discussions about whether or not they have a chance to make the playoffs.

Krabs

Reaction score
I was disappointed in the outcome. I thought they were putting together the game winning drive, until the oline decided the game was over. I was happy with the performance overall. Defense is what is it. They will be better next season.

As for a semi pro league option for high school graduates, I think it could work if they make it local. This way people would know the players. So and so from Milwaukee or Madison had a great game. Might get a look at the combine. Might work.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm normally more of a pessimist than an optimist. This is different. The Badgers would have won that game yesterday if Braelon Allen had been out there. He has been the key to our offense for so long that you can't just lose him for a game and expect to do well when it happens.

Then there's the issue of us losing two or three of our top defensive linemen, our top interior linebacker, and one of our starting CBs to the portal and draft. We also lost at least one starter on the offensive line, and two of our best WRs as well.

That may not be a problem for the average SEC team, but for the Badgers,that's a team preparing for the future, it's a death blow on game day.

By the end of the game, the Badgers defense was wore down. They didn't have fresh bodies to throw out there. In fact, there were a couple of guys who got out on the field with the defensive line near the end, that rarely had any game time except in clean up for the entire year. We just didn't have the depth of experience that LSU had.

But, next year, it will be a different story. A little more growth, but still, at least 3 losses, maybe 4. When you look at the schedule you'll know why. But in 2025? They're going to be in the discussions about whether or not they have a chance to make the playoffs.
Spot on.

I think if nothing else, yesterdays game showed just how deep the Badgers are/were at a lot of positions and the process for improving the entire roster from top to bottom.

This isn't an NFL rebuild process for Fickell and his staff. Give it some time and I think once they are just trotting out "Fickell'ed players" onto the field every game, will we see what he can do as a HC and recruiter.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit it, I'm already excited about the potential for next year. I'm also looking forward to the Women's Volleyball program next season. With Sarah coming back it makes it something special. She is so much everything that you'd hope for in a leader. Even her smile is infectious out there. Just her being there has to be a draw for the Badgers.

I'm glad Taylor Landfair isn't going to be part of the Badgers volleyball family. I don't even know if the Badgers pursued her much when she entered the portal. We need players coming in who believe they want to be part of a team, not "make a team better by their presence." That's so self centered and egotistical.

Not once did I hear that coming out of Sarah, about coming back for one more year. Her statement was that she felt blessed, getting the opportunity to spend another year in the program, and be part of the Badger volleyball family.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm glad Taylor Landfair isn't going to be part of the Badgers volleyball family. I don't even know if the Badgers pursued her much when she entered the portal. We need players coming in who believe they want to be part of a team, not "make a team better by their presence." That's so self centered and egotistical.
I guess I was hoping that the Badgers would "Land" Taylor. While I agree with you that the portal has made it too easy for star players to chase star teams, she was with the Gophers for 4 years. The coach she originally signed under was gone and she wanted to play on a winning team, which she felt wasn't the Gophers.

It sounded like it was down to the Badgers and Huskers, not sure why she chose the Huskers, but they landed a big time talent for sure.

Curious as to what you saw different to come to your conclusion?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Landfair made a comment in a couple of her interviews where she said she felt that she could make the Huskers even better. That probably didn't go over too well with a lot of their players. Especially those that she'll be usurping game time from.

Had she said that she hoped to help make the team better, not "would make them better," it would have settled better. I like reading comments that people/players make, which can often be dissected to tell more about them. It's what I did so well in police work, and why I was fortunate enough to be able to solve more crimes, and quicker, than many of my peers.

I'd imagine it rankled a few feathers with some of them. After all, she has only one year left to play, and obviously intends putting someone on the bench to do it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After all, she has only one year left to play, and obviously intends putting someone on the bench to do it.
She has 2 years of eligibility left. I guess you could say she is putting someone on the bench, if she is better than that player. One could also say, she is opening up a spot on the Gophers starting lineup, so that kind of cancels things out IMO.

She is a very good OH, which the Badgers are thin at, so I still would have loved to have seen her at Wisconsin.

I get why you feel the way that you do about her "me" attitude, but sadly, I think that is the way a lot of "kids" in that generation think.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
She has 2 years of eligibility left. I guess you could say she is putting someone on the bench, if she is better than that player. One could also say, she is opening up a spot on the Gophers starting lineup, so that kind of cancels things out IMO.

She is a very good OH, which the Badgers are thin at, so I still would have loved to have seen her at Wisconsin.

I get why you feel the way that you do about her "me" attitude, but sadly, I think that is the way a lot of "kids" in that generation think.
Two years? I didn't know that. I compare this girl to seeing what Wohler had to say about staying with the Badgers another year. Not once did he say "I", it was all about the team/family. Wohler is what it's all about. When he goes pro next year, he's going to be another success, not unlike Ingold is. There's a kid who went to Wisconsin hoping to make something of it, and working as hard as he could, to get there. He appreciated it all. When he hit the NFL, he knew what it would take to make his mark, and now he is.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Really good get by Fickell! This guy is special and he's got 3 years of eligibility!

Welcome to Linebacker U Tackett!

What a great name too!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Krabs

Reaction score
Currently, the Badgers football team ranks 13th in the transfer portal landing 13 transfers. 6 of those transfers are LBs. I think they saw the need and went after it. They also landed a corner and a DL. Their overall recruiting rank is 26th. They landed some good DL and LB help with incoming freshman as well. This defense will be very different then last years. Should be interesting to see this team and how it develops the next couple of seasons. I know I am excited and going to go to a few games.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently, the Badgers football team ranks 13th in the transfer portal landing 13 transfers. 6 of those transfers are LBs. I think they saw the need and went after it. They also landed a corner and a DL. Their overall recruiting rank is 26th. They landed some good DL and LB help with incoming freshman as well. This defense will be very different then last years. Should be interesting to see this team and how it develops the next couple of seasons. I know I am excited and going to go to a few games.

To be honest, I think their evaluation is bogus. I think the Badgers have pulled together some amazing new talent that actually fits into the mold of what they need, to succeed on both sides of the ball.

To be honest, it had to be tough for the coaches to fit square pegs into round holes. The players they had were talented, but they didn't actually fit the roles that the defense was projecting. Now, that's not the case. They got those pegs rounded off, and it's going to work.

Notice? They have 6 linebackers coming in. The've added Leon Lowery Jr, John Pius, Jahsiah Galvan, Sebastian Cheeks, Jaheim Thomas, and Tackett Curtis through the portal. These guys would all have been starters next year. These 6 alone, are going to fill four needed spots very well. All of them are capable of making anywhere from 1st to 3rd team All Big 10. There's gonna be some hitting going on from this group.

I think the team is going to improve quite a bit. As far as those leaving, via the portal? The reason is pretty clear. They aren't going to see the field enough to make them a viable member of the team. They're going to play elsewhere. I don't blame them. If you want to play, go where you will get the chance. The talent level has improved that much for the Badgers already.

Members online

Latest posts