2024 Badger Football

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It is a busy time for Badger Football. Getting ready for a Bowl Game with #13 LSU and watching players leave the program throught the Transfer Portal, as they gain new players from that same Portal.

Yesterday, the Badgers may have found their new QB for 2024 in former Miami quarterback Tyler Van ****.

Other significant portal pickups are:

DL Joey Slackman

WR Jaden Richardson

OLB Leon Lowery

WR Tyrell Henry

CB Syeed Gibbs

DT Anthony Johnson

CB T.J. Crandall

OLB John Pius

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He who must not be named . . .

I'm going to significantly pump the brakes on any excitement over any portal moves this year and see what happens until after Spring practices.
I think we will have more significant gains than losses in the transfer portal. Also, the guys that are leaving, are guys that Chryst and his staff recruited. I get the feeling that some of these guys never bought into Fickell, nor did Fickell buy into them. The purge continues, but I am still thinking that in the long run, the program is better off with moving on from Chryst and forward with Fickell.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the Fickle Finger Award. I remember it well. It served it's purpose quite well.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For the younglings around here that missed this era

(I forgot how desirable Goldie was)
My Dad loved this show and when VCR's came out, it was one of the first set of tapes that he bought and watched a lot. I don't remember it much, but appears that the FFFF Award was basically a Middle Finger?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never missed the show. Loved it! I've watched reruns, and it doesn't register the same now, as it did then. Times change.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I never missed the show. Loved it! I've watched reruns, and it doesn't register the same now, as it did then. Times change.
Political jokes and current topics humor doesn't age well. Names mean nothing as I spend more time trying to recall who and why they were mentioned than appreciating the jab.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Political jokes and current topics humor doesn't age well. Names mean nothing as I spend more time trying to recall who and why they were mentioned than appreciating the jab.
I know the feeling. But, isn't it great that we've lived through all those eras? We've seen a heckuva lot of history.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The humor toward politics even at that time when Vietnam was prevalent was funny in a dignified way. Today it is insulting and degrading and hardly funny at all. One fellow who exploited the politics of 1968 was Pat Paulsen. If you ever get to see his clips he was truly entertaining in a good way.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think we will have more significant gains than losses in the transfer portal. Also, the guys that are leaving, are guys that Chryst and his staff recruited. I get the feeling that some of these guys never bought into Fickell, nor did Fickell buy into them. The purge continues, but I am still thinking that in the long run, the program is better off with moving on from Chryst and forward with Fickell.
The play on Fickell's name and this award is priceless. I too watched every week as a boy .. Sock it to me...

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
So, National Signing Day has come and gone and the Badgers sit at #22. Not horrible IMO.

The did not land any 5 star guys. It would be nice if they landed one in the near future. Nine 4 star guys is more than I remember in the past. Could be wrong, but some of them were big time signings. I got myself overhyped last year and feel that coming on again. It will take a couple years to see how this plays out. Two of the big defensive signings are Ernest Willor and Xavier Lucas. If these guys are not day one starters they will at the very least contribute in their freshman years. Nine 4 stars doesn't seem like a lot, but they are highly rated players that I don't think we land in the past. Looking forward to seeing them play out.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, National Signing Day has come and gone and the Badgers sit at #22. Not horrible IMO.

The did not land any 5 star guys. It would be nice if they landed one in the near future. Nine 4 star guys is more than I remember in the past. Could be wrong, but some of them were big time signings. I got myself overhyped last year and feel that coming on again. It will take a couple years to see how this plays out. Two of the big defensive signings are Ernest Willor and Xavier Lucas. If these guys are not day one starters they will at the very least contribute in their freshman years. Nine 4 stars doesn't seem like a lot, but they are highly rated players that I don't think we land in the past. Looking forward to seeing them play out.
Signing Day is going to have a big impact on the team. The young players they have coming to Wisconsin are going to make a big splash, some as early as year one. The fact that so many of them are graduating HS now, and enrolling for the spring semester puts them on campus, and on the field for spring practice, which could make all the difference in the world when it comes to them finding field time when the season starts. Even their conditioning will be highly improved, by working through the next 8 months to prepare their bodies.

If you look at the players they're bringing in, via the portal, and as freshman, you can see a blend of experience, combined with fresh young talent, as yet, untapped. The offensive line is getting some highly rated help, the TE room is vastly improved over last year, the QB competition is going to be awesome, and on the defensive line, we're going to have some high rev motors running and a couple of real anchors for the middle. All, early in their college careers. It's great when players get to play together, and build as a team.

Look at the help for the DBs. Experience coming in, and some size in coverage personnel. Also, some speed among them. People who can run with the speedy WRs on teams like Ohio State and USC. The linebacker corps is going to be awesome. Something that's always been a joy to watch in Madison. It's going to be really solid, and we got the pick of the litter out of Hawaii to add to it.

Let's hope Wohler comes back. He could be the field general on defense, and make the Badgers special on that side of the ball. I hope someone with deep pockets comes up with enough NIL money to make it happen. I think he'd like to play in Madison, but let's face it, he's at a point in his career where money is going to be something he needs, going forward. Please! Don't call him a mercenary because of it. It's what's being given to the top players in college ball. Playing for "the principle" of staying with a team is not a realistic option. Money talks.

Looking at the QB competition, it's going to be something out of this world. I have a hunch we might even see one or two guys who are in the QB room pulling up stakes and leaving, after spring ball. There are going to be 3 or 4 guys who really stand out, and one or two might not like the idea of being that far down on the list. We need to remember, we're bringing in a kid who knows the system, and has already had two amazing years of playing the position, and we're bringing in another Texas boy (Look at who's in the QB room, it's nearly all Texans), Mettauer, who I've watched play, and this kid is going to be an amazing find with the right coaching. It will probably take a red shirt year, and a second year, getting ready for battle, but as a RS sophomore he might be lights out best in the Big 10.

Anyhow, it's going to be an interesting year. We could end up with at least 9 wins, and possibly 11, if you count a bowl game.

When you look at this past year, and think that the Badgers didn't do so well, you need to consider that they did play well enough over the course of the year to earn a spot in a New Years 6 bowl game, and that shows fans believe in them already, and so did the people picking the bowl spots. They're going against a pretty darned good LSU team, and even though they are underdogs, don't count them out. They might surprise a lot of people.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good observations and summaries boys!

I've been a bit surprised at how many talented players are leaving the team via the portal. However, as I read the details about each guy, it makes more sense as to why they are leaving. An underlying theme with many of them, is that they saw a reduced amount of playing time under the new coaching staff. Whether it was a change in the schemes being run or just players behind them jumping them on the depth chart, these are guys that saw a limited future at Wisconsin.

As much as I don't really like the portal, maybe this year it is a godsend for the Badgers. They may be purging all the players from the old program, that just didn't do well under Fickell and the new coaching staff. As long as the Badgers do well through recruiting and their own transfer portal signings, they should be fine. Their up and down season might delay a bigger step forward, but I think once Fickell has the players that fit his systems and guys that he handpicked, this program will excel.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good observations and summaries boys!

I've been a bit surprised at how many talented players are leaving the team via the portal. However, as I read the details about each guy, it makes more sense as to why they are leaving. An underlying theme with many of them, is that they saw a reduced amount of playing time under the new coaching staff. Whether it was a change in the schemes being run or just players behind them jumping them on the depth chart, these are guys that saw a limited future at Wisconsin.

As much as I don't really like the portal, maybe this year it is a godsend for the Badgers. They may be purging all the players from the old program, that just didn't do well under Fickell and the new coaching staff. As long as the Badgers do well through recruiting and their own transfer portal signings, they should be fine. Their up and down season might delay a bigger step forward, but I think once Fickell has the players that fit his systems and guys that he handpicked, this program will excel.

I think the players leaving knew their roles were not going to be as strong as they hoped. I believe the coaches gave them honest appraisals of where they stood. It's not demeaning to be honest with them. You have to give them the option of moving on, and doing what's best for them. The portal offers that opportunity.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the players leaving knew their roles were not going to be as strong as they hoped. I believe the coaches gave them honest appraisals of where they stood. It's not demeaning to be honest with them. You have to give them the option of moving on, and doing what's best for them. The portal offers that opportunity.
So much for the unicorn land belief of the STUDENT athlete. Go someplace that lets me play ball even if I don't get the best education for my future.

Krabs

Reaction score
Yep, we lost some guys, but I don't think it hurts. I did like DKay for example, but we have more talent coming in and on the team. We will still have Pauling, Bryson Green, CJ Williams, and Tyrell Henry is transferring in from MI St. For every DKay and Bell leaving there is better and more talented players coming in.

Had to edit for the WR transfer to FL.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much for the unicorn land belief of the STUDENT athlete. Go someplace that lets me play ball even if I don't get the best education for my future.
Too many believe that football is their only path to success in life. It can be hard to see the forest through the trees at a young age. Even the best mentors are challenged to convince these athletes what is most important.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Too many believe that football is their only path to success in life. It can be hard to see the forest through the trees at a young age. Even the best mentors are challenged to convince these athletes what is most important.
I'm actually more concerned with the HS/AAU star athlete that blows a joint robbing them of their prowess and ability before they even get the free ride to college.

Krabs

Reaction score
I'm actually more concerned with the HS/AAU star athlete that blows a joint robbing them of their prowess and ability before they even get the free ride to college.
Yeah, not to get onto too much of a tangent, but I agree. These kids are pushed so hard these days it is crazy. If you're a really good athlete you are almost forced to specialize in a sport. If you are good at basketball it is played almost year round. AAU, summer league and then high school ball. I'm not sure how these kids do it and how their bodies keep up with it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, not to get onto too much of a tangent, but I agree. These kids are pushed so hard these days it is crazy. If you're a really good athlete you are almost forced to specialize in a sport. If you are good at basketball it is played almost year round. AAU, summer league and then high school ball. I'm not sure how these kids do it and how their bodies keep up with it.
I'm always reminded of Michael Jordan did not play organized basketball until junior year of high school. or so the legend states.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm always reminded of Michael Jordan did not play organized basketball until junior year of high school. or so the legend states.
Walter Payton didn't even go out for football until he was a junior. He did track, and his Brother was the football player. He didn't want to compete against him.

Members online

Latest posts