2020 Football for Bucky

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I love the schedule. Hate that this happened to be the only year in my life that we were going to play Notre Dame. I love the schedule with only conference games though. Wish it was like that every year.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I love the schedule. Hate that this happened to be the only year in my life that we were going to play Notre Dame. I love the schedule with only conference games though. Wish it was like that every year.

No need to worry, The Big10 is postponing the 2020 season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not surprising. I believe it’s only a matter of time before the same happens with the NFL.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It’s not surprising. I believe it’s only a matter of time before the same happens with the NFL.

Agree and the writing has been on the wall for quite some time. It will be hard for the NFL to justify proceeding forward when the NCCA declares that they aren't. They might use the argument that professionals will be easier to test, track and keep somewhat isolated, than College athletes, which is true. However, I just have my doubts that they can expect to keep it under control. MLB is struggling to keep the season going. The Cardinals team being the latest to have it hit a bunch of players and coaches (17). Also, news of a Cleveland pitcher breaking COVID protocols isn't a good sign either.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think MLB and NBA is doing pretty good with it. I expect the NFL to start and play the season out with some bumps in the road along the way.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MLB and NBA is doing pretty good with it. I expect the NFL to start and play the season out with some bumps in the road along the way.
The NFL can't be played in a bubble, and MLB is spread out over a field with a lot of running room in between. you could practice with a baseball team on basically nothing but individual drills and still have a pretty good product on the field.

Football is not the same animal I do not foresee any sort of legitimate season being played.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One thing about College teams postponing the 2020 season, Universities are setting themselves up for the potential of making a lot more money than they would have.

Take the Big10 for example. They were planning on having a shortened season with only conference games being played and very few or no fans. IF they are able to play the entire 2020 schedule in the Spring of 2021, with fans in attendance, a big difference in how much revenue will be generated per game.

I am chuckling at how the UW is pleading with fans to donate the money that they would have spent on season tickets to the University. Siting that the University is loosing a ton of money due to COVID. Yeah? Well I love my Badgers, but I don't see the University of Wisconsin being a priority for my donations, much more worthy and needy causes out there. To me this would be like Aaron Rodgers asking for handouts if he doesn't get paid this season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL can't be played in a bubble, and MLB is spread out over a field with a lot of running room in between. you could practice with a baseball team on basically nothing but individual drills and still have a pretty good product on the field.

Football is not the same animal I do not foresee any sort of legitimate season being played.
I agree. There won’t be time to prepare, which means the product is going to be weak. And out of all the major sports, football involves the most contact. I just don’t see anyway to play a season, or to put out a product worthy of watching.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree. There won’t be time to prepare, which means the product is going to be weak. And out of all the major sports, football involves the most contact. I just don’t see anyway to play a season, or to put out a product worthy of watching.

Funny thing, the NFL has had THE most time to prepare as well as probably the deepest pockets to spend on getting prepared. I give them a big fat fail on not having all sorts of Plan A-D, depending on the state of things.

I really think the NCAA and the NFL were way to overly optimistic on things being improved by the start of their perspective seasons. Because of that, both seemed to be really slow to except the fact that nothing about the virus has really changed much in the last 5 or so months. Heck, both leagues were still talking about having a limited amount of fans at games and I still haven't heard if the NFL has even nixed that idea.

IMO, both the NBA and NHL have had the smartest approach with putting their teams in the bubbles. Obviously, they were halfway into their seasons before the stoppage, but they still have been very smart in the way they have gone about trying to finish those seasons.

Now maybe we aren't hearing every thing and the NFL is being tight lipped, not wanting to lose fans, but they seem to be moving at the pace of turtles, ones with their heads buried in the sand. Stuck in their way of thinking that they can successfully have a 4-5 month full season, outside of a bubble.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing, the NFL has had THE most time to prepare as well as probably the deepest pockets to spend on getting prepared. I give them a big fat fail on not having all sorts of Plan A-D, depending on the state of things.

I really think the NCAA and the NFL were way to overly optimistic on things being improved by the start of their perspective seasons. Because of that, both seemed to be really slow to except the fact that nothing about the virus has really changed much in the last 5 or so months. Heck, both leagues were still talking about having a limited amount of fans at games and I still haven't heard if the NFL has even nixed that idea.

IMO, both the NBA and NHL have had the smartest approach with putting their teams in the bubbles. Obviously, they were halfway into their seasons before the stoppage, but they still have been very smart in the way they have gone about trying to finish those seasons.

Now maybe we aren't hearing every thing and the NFL is being tight lipped, not wanting to lose fans, but they seem to be moving at the pace of turtles, ones with their heads buried in the sand. Stuck in their way of thinking that they can successfully have a 4-5 month full season, outside of a bubble.
Good point about having multiple months to prepare, and still no real plan other than no pre-season games and no fans at the first two games.

I expected more from the NFL. Then again most of America is way behind the rest of the world in responding to Covid-19. It’s like everyone stuck their heads in the sand and assumed Covid would disappear over the summer. Nope. It got worse.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After watching what is going on at the UW Campus, major COVID outbreak, I am glad that the Big10 had the balls to shut the season down.

For those conferences that still plan on playing, what happens in the next week or 2 is going to be very interesting to watch. Some of the major divisions still think they can play football, while cancelling all other fall sports. Go figure, why is it safe to play football but not Cross Country? After the dust is settled, I won't be surprised if people say "Well there is our proof, that the Big10 is known for its academics and tough standards of eligibility. Even the people running the SEC and ACC are not that smart and will let anyone play."

So far:

Within days of campus reopening, the University of Alabama reported enough positive cases to field five football teams. The University of South Carolina later reported one of the highest number of college cases on record. Auburn, Tennessee and Vanderbilt all canceled practices. Ole Miss, which did not cancel practice, experienced an outbreak within the athletic community. LSU quarantined at least one-quarter of its roster. 3 of the 4 college campuses with the most cases in the country as of Sept. 2 were in the SEC — the University of Alabama, the University of South Carolina and Auburn University. The fourth was the University of North Carolina, in the ACC.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agreed. Baseball is not a contact sport, very unlike football. All it will take is one or two positive tests to put an entire unit in quarantine. Some will say that's what backups are for, but for me, that doesn't really apply here. The quality of the season will suffer. I give it a month.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching what is going on at the UW Campus, major COVID outbreak, I am glad that the Big10 had the balls to shut the season down.

For those conferences that still plan on playing, what happens in the next week or 2 is going to be very interesting to watch. Some of the major divisions still think they can play football, while cancelling all other fall sports. Go figure, why is it safe to play football but not Cross Country? After the dust is settled, I won't be surprised if people say "Well there is our proof, that the Big10 is known for its academics and tough standards of eligibility. Even the people running the SEC and ACC are not that smart and will let anyone play."

So far:

Within days of campus reopening, the University of Alabama reported enough positive cases to field five football teams. The University of South Carolina later reported one of the highest number of college cases on record. Auburn, Tennessee and Vanderbilt all canceled practices. Ole Miss, which did not cancel practice, experienced an outbreak within the athletic community. LSU quarantined at least one-quarter of its roster. 3 of the 4 college campuses with the most cases in the country as of Sept. 2 were in the SEC — the University of Alabama, the University of South Carolina and Auburn University. The fourth was the University of North Carolina, in the ACC.
It's hypocritical, as you point out, to allow football but cancel cross country. It should be the other way around. But football pays for all the other sports, so as usual, it sorta comes down to greed. The NFL is no different.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's hypocritical, as you point out, to allow football but cancel cross country. It should be the other way around. But football pays for all the other sports, so as usual, it sorta comes down to greed. The NFL is no different.

Most definitely its about the money for those conferences still planning on playing and double that greed for those planning on having fans in attendance as well. To me it is not just a big financial risk for a University, but a PR one too. I am sure lawyers and Risk managers have studied it up and down in every which way and came to the conclusion that the rewards exceed the risks. However, if something really bad happens, its going to be quite easy for the court of public opinion to point out what other schools across the country did, as well as what that particular school did with their Cross Country program. That is a black eye that could be more damaging then losing $$ on lawsuits.

While I am surprised that the NFL is moving forward, I understand their decisions to do so much more than I do the college programs. I would liken it to trying to open a large professional business with adults (NFL) VS. Opening a Daycare with children (NCAA). The players in the NFL probably have a better chance of keeping themselves more isolated from catching COVID from outside sources via their living situations, financial means and hopefully their maturity. Whereas the college players? Try keeping them isolated from other 18-22 year old students before and after practices.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most definitely its about the money for those conferences still planning on playing and double that greed for those planning on having fans in attendance as well. To me it is not just a big financial risk for a University, but a PR one too. I am sure lawyers and Risk managers have studied it up and down in every which way and came to the conclusion that the rewards exceed the risks. However, if something really bad happens, its going to be quite easy for the court of public opinion to point out what other schools across the country did, as well as what that particular school did with their Cross Country program. That is a black eye that could be more damaging then losing $$ on lawsuits.

While I am surprised that the NFL is moving forward, I understand their decisions to do so much more than I do the college programs. I would liken it to trying to open a large professional business with adults (NFL) VS. Opening a Daycare with children (NCAA). The players in the NFL probably have a better chance of keeping themselves more isolated from catching COVID from outside sources via their living situations, financial means and hopefully their maturity. Whereas the college players? Try keeping them isolated from other 18-22 year old students before and after practices.
Good point on the differences between NFL players and NCAA players. I think that for NCAA teams that play, it's gonna end up being a full-employment act for lawyers. Much as I love Badger football, they made the right call to cancel.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just read this and shook my head, sounds much like the political divide that has been way too far out in front of the virus itself....

"The public health crisis also hasn’t stopped dozens of teams from laughing in the face of transparency. ESPN’s Paula Lavigne and Mark Schlabach recently polled every Power Five conference member about COVID-19 test results for student-athletes; nearly half declined to disclose them. The largest contingent hailed from the SEC, with 10 of the 14 member schools choosing not to reveal the number of positive results. Almost one-third of Power Five responders wouldn’t so much as lay out what the COVID-19 protocols were.

Those protocols aren’t only a problem in the Power Five. Players and staff at Colorado State, a Mountain West Conference member, say they had been told not to report symptoms of the virus, while the coach at Liberty praised a lack of positive tests on his team before revealing that students hadn’t been tested for two weeks. Is it surprising that nearly three-fourths of Idaho’s football team didn’t feel comfortable playing this season?"

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read this and shook my head, sounds much like the political divide that has been way too far out in front of the virus itself....

"The public health crisis also hasn’t stopped dozens of teams from laughing in the face of transparency. ESPN’s Paula Lavigne and Mark Schlabach recently polled every Power Five conference member about COVID-19 test results for student-athletes; nearly half declined to disclose them. The largest contingent hailed from the SEC, with 10 of the 14 member schools choosing not to reveal the number of positive results. Almost one-third of Power Five responders wouldn’t so much as lay out what the COVID-19 protocols were.

Those protocols aren’t only a problem in the Power Five. Players and staff at Colorado State, a Mountain West Conference member, say they had been told not to report symptoms of the virus, while the coach at Liberty praised a lack of positive tests on his team before revealing that students hadn’t been tested for two weeks. Is it surprising that nearly three-fourths of Idaho’s football team didn’t feel comfortable playing this season?"
Not surprising at all.

Here's the bigger question for me, Poker. How did this pandemic get so politicized, right down to lies by sports directors/coaches as you pointed out. Are there that many people who don't realize how serious this is? Apparently other countries got the memo, but not the US. We have 4% of the world's population, and 22% of the Covid cases.

Even American Exceptionalism stops with a bug we can't even see, but can kill us. Again, I don't understand why adults who should know better are playing hide and seek with facts. It's disgusting.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not surprising at all.

Here's the bigger question for me, Poker. How did this pandemic get so politicized, right down to lies by sports directors/coaches as you pointed out. Are there that many people who don't realize how serious this is? Apparently other countries got the memo, but not the US. We have 4% of the world's population, and 22% of the Covid cases.

Even American Exceptionalism stops with a bug we can't even see, but can kill us. Again, I don't understand why adults who should know better are playing hide and seek with facts. It's disgusting.

It all has to do with a River in Eastern Africa, I believe its called...."Da Nile" :cool:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did it get so political? how's this, I say I won't wear a mask.

What feelings do you get, what do you automatically assume about me?

Then ask yourself how this became political. See if you get it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
FYI
Wisconsin officials won't name schools that have COVID-19 outbreaks, or say how big they are
something about student privacy and potential stigma. But also:
This is similar to how the state treats other facility-wide investigations, which it tracks by category, like outbreaks in group housing, health care settings and other workplaces.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
FYI something about student privacy and potential stigma. But also:

I think that you are you talking about K-12? I saw that announcement a few weeks ago. Don't agree with it, since I think data is important.

UW Madison went public yesterday about their COVID breakout on campus, as well as their plans.

My post was about the college football aspect of COVID and how some of those college teams that are still having a season are being tight lipped on testing, number of positive cases, protocols, etc.

The "political part" of it that I was referring to.....

while the coach at Liberty praised a lack of positive tests on his team before revealing that students hadn’t been tested for two weeks.

Sounds like a certain president that I have heard of.

Members online

Latest posts