2019 Packer Roster / Practice Squad Changes

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is gonna get really interesting, regarding Tim Williams. He was projected one of the top boom or bust prospects in his class. If Pettine can get all the BOOM this kid can bring, we could have something very special here with this signing.

Just one job. "Go get 'em!" That is where Williams excels. Could be very, very interesting with all of the other Packers players opposing OLs will have to account for. Uncle Milty, coming through again. We'll see, but there is enormous potential here for Williams to be the player he wants to be in Mike Pettine's D.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have signed RB Tra Carson to the active roster. The team released DL Fadol Brown to make room for him.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I love that about Gutes & his staff. They seem completely tireless workers to improve our roster.
He continues to bring in a lot of former draftees who had something to recommend them coming out of college as well as former UDFAs for a look see. Some were busts at their prior stops, some stuck deep on the bench or as special teams players then released, some were injured and released. It's a lot of work pouring over the long shots.

But it has yielded some players the team is better off having than not. Campbell was pretty respectable last season at the hybrid ILB spot. Carson chipped in last night, and will probably continue to do so until Williams returns or the other Williams learns something about blocking and catching. Redmond's had a rough go at times but probably a better alternative than Jones had he kept his mouth shut.

It is a refreshing alternative to the Thompson approach where the Pro Personnel department was moribund, then a Texas 3-step: somebody is going to IR, somebody gets promoted from PS to the roster, then "oh, snap, we've got a PS spot to fill."

Last edited by a moderator:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Well there ya go. I followed Jackson during the Draft. Would be interesting to watch him in come of age on the Practice Squad.

Wasn't aware Ryan Grant was out of a job, but anyone not named Stephon Diggs I'm not really interested in.

I remember Vanderdoes but he never lost the weight he gained being out for the ACL injury. I thought he was originally a DE, and now he's a DT.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Well there ya go. I followed Jackson during the Draft. Would be interesting to watch him in come of age on the Practice Squad.

Wasn't aware Ryan Grant was out of a job, but anyone not named Stephon Diggs I'm not really interested in.

I remember Vanderdoes but he never lost the weight he gained being out for the ACL injury. I thought he was originally a DE, and now he's a DT.
Oakland released Grant after Week 3. Trevor Davis started in Week 4 with no catches, though he did have 2 carries with a long run. He started again in Week 5 with 4 catches for 42 yards.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packers must have really been looking for a TE, if you look at who they had come in today to workout. They ended up signing TE Ethan Wolf to the PS. Wolf (6-6, 252) played in three preseason games with the Jacksonville Jaguars this past summer. The Packers first signed Wolf to the practice squad last October.

Players in for a workout today:

TE Rico Gathers. TE Cole Wick. TE Ethan Wolf. DT Sylvster Williams. DT Mike Pennel. DT Adolphus Washington.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/08/packers-fill-practice-squad-by-signing-te-ethan-wolf/

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Looks like they are looking at big run blockers too.

Agreed and an interesting group of DL's, since all 3 are experienced Veterans. Often those "group workouts" seem to be a bunch of no names, with very little NFL experience. Guys signed to back-fill your depth now and potential future development guys. That group on Tuesday, seemed more like the kind of activity you see when a position needs to be filled soon. As a matter of fact, I don't think any of the 3 would be Practice Squad eligible. Washington might be?

The Packers already know a lot about Mike Pennel.

Sylvster Williams originally was a first round pick by Denver back in 2013 and is now 30. He was always known as a run stopper, but his game seems to have gone downhill.

Adolphus Washington might be the most intriguing guy to me out of the group. A 3rd Rd. pick out of Ohio State in 2016. He is only 24, had a pretty decent rookie season for Buffalo back in 2016 and an ok 2017, starting 21 games over that time frame. A series of minor injuries and stops at Dallas, Cincinnati and Miami has left him unemployed.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I don't think any of the 3 would be Practice Squad eligible. Washington might be?

I think we need them in the 53 to backup/rotate Burks.

Agreed that Washington is still an interesting prospect. Pennel is a safe bet too. One of these two should make it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and an interesting group of DL's, since all 3 are experienced Veterans. Often those "group workouts" seem to be a bunch of no names, with very little NFL experience. Guys signed to back-fill your depth now and potential future development guys. That group on Tuesday, seemed more like the kind of activity you see when a position needs to be filled soon. As a matter of fact, I don't think any of the 3 would be Practice Squad eligible. Washington might be?

The Packers already know a lot about Mike Pennel.

Sylvster Williams originally was a first round pick by Denver back in 2013 and is now 30. He was always known as a run stopper, but his game seems to have gone downhill.

Adolphus Washington might be the most intriguing guy to me out of the group. A 3rd Rd. pick out of Ohio State in 2016. He is only 24, had a pretty decent rookie season for Buffalo back in 2016 and an ok 2017, starting 21 games over that time frame. A series of minor injuries and stops at Dallas, Cincinnati and Miami has left him unemployed.
Pennel - would instantly become the biggest DL by 20 lbs. and fortify the middle on run downs. Just turned 28 and is 6'-4", 330lbs.

Williams - not far behind Pennel at 6'-2", 328 lbs. and a run-stuffer. Will turn 31 next month.

Washington - 6'-4", 295-300lbs ~ similar to current guys Adams, Lowry & Keke. May offer more pass rush but not as stout against the run as others.

Not sure there's a roster spot or snaps available for any of them unless there's an injury/roster move we aren't aware of, yet?

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pkrjones, I'm wondering if they sign Pennel, as he was THE top rated run stuffer from 2018 amongst the 3 players, and I'm HOPING LIKE HELL they sign Deone Buccanon. Those two additions could go a LONG way towards fixing any problems we might have in run D. Wonder too if they keep Fitzpatrick around? He's not done much when given his opportunities.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pkrjones, I'm wondering if they sign Pennel, as he was THE top rated run stuffer from 2018 amongst the 3 players, and I'm HOPING LIKE HELL they sign Deone Buccanon. Those two additions could go a LONG way towards fixing any problems we might have in run D. Wonder too if they keep Fitzpatrick around? He's not done much when given his opportunities.
Agree on Bucannon, in a heartbeat! 27 yrs. old, perfect fit as hybrid ILB/S for Pettine IMHO. Only had a base salary of $1Mil so not looking to break anybody's bank - pro-rated would be $656k for rest of the year.

Pennel would help IF there's an injury along the DL that hasn't been reported, yet. Not enough snaps to go around if all are healthy.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree on Bucannon, in a heartbeat! 27 yrs. old, perfect fit as hybrid ILB/S for Pettine IMHO. Only had a base salary of $1Mil so not looking to break anybody's bank - pro-rated would be $656k for rest of the year.

Pennel would help IF there's an injury along the DL that hasn't been reported, yet. Not enough snaps to go around if all are healthy.
Just guessing they are not happy with interior DL depth, and I said Fitzpatrick but meant Tyler Lancaster... brain fart. He has looked more like a weak link. Pennel, to me, would seem a good upgrade there.

The more I dug up on Buccanon, the more I saw he was seriously mishandled in 2017 after his ankle surgery. Overused and wore into the turf, out of position in new scheme which was not a fit at all. He might offer something big in this D. Buccanon was the model for what Josh Jones was supposed to be. Pettine might be able to put Buccanon to his best use since 2016 from a scheme/position standpoint.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers signed Ryan Grant

Packers released Tra Carson

Packers designate Jace Sternberger and Ibrahim Campbell to return from IR.

Packers signed Damarea Crockett and Tremon Smith to Practice Squad.

Packers cut Ethan Wolf from Practice Squad.

Packers' odds to land AJ Green = +1000

Last edited:

Latest posts