2019 Packer Roster / Practice Squad Changes

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely don't want Redmond on the field as an in the box safety. Amos, sure. If Amos comes down however, I'd be curious to see who mans the safety spot up top. I'd be curious to see if they give Jackson or Tramon a chance back there, but I'd prefer Jackson if he's healthy to see if that might be a more permanent spot for him. Savage's versatility at the safety spot makes this not as bad of a situation as it could be.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Braden could be part of that depth without Taylor. Jenkins should be replacing by the Eagles game I'd say. If the offense is stalling because Taylor is allowing too much pressures possibly mid-game in Denver.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 year starter at Michigan, 2x All Big Ten selection(as a RT)....those are good bones for an OG. That means he also faced off against Gary, Winovich, Bush, etc and the rest of the Michigan D in practice many times. I can't believe the Jets stashed him away for that long...but he likely needed time to make the transition to OG.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Braden could be part of that depth without Taylor. Jenkins should be replacing by the Eagles game I'd say. If the offense is stalling because Taylor is allowing too much pressures possibly mid-game in Denver.

I would be shocked to see Taylor released, wouldn't save the Packers any money now. His dead cap is $3.75M and a salary of $2.6 M, which is now guaranteed.

Reaction score
I honestly never thought Taylor would still be starting once we drafted Elgton #44 overall. It appears now that we went with the “known quantity” experience wise to open the season at LG. In my mind, Taylor has 1-2 more games to prove himself as “starter” worthy before he slides down the depth chart.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I honestly never thought Taylor would still be starting once we drafted Elgton #44 overall. It appears now that we went with the “known quantity” experience wise to open the season at LG. In my mind, Taylor has 1-2 more games to prove himself as “starter” worthy before he slides down the depth chart.

There is that and something people forget and that is the players contract. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to cut a player, due to the fact that the money you "save" by doing so, often isn't enough to warrant it, since employing someone that is equal to or better than that player is often going to cost you a lot more. Seems like there are always a few players every year (Matthews, Perry, Graham, etc.) that we have this conversation about. Guarantees and caps can make cutting a player a losing proposition.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be shocked to see Taylor released, wouldn't save the Packers any money now. His dead cap is $3.75M and a salary of $2.6 M, which is now guaranteed.

He's not getting cut because of a PS addition.

I'm not suggesting Taylor is getting cut. I'm suggesting he's getting traded. Braden could just be stashed on the practice squad for a couple weeks while Gute shops around for suitors. Once the deal happens, Braden is promoted and then he adds yet another player who he's had his eye on around the league. Let's see what happens in 2-3 weeks.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting Taylor is getting cut. I'm suggesting he's getting traded. Braden could just be stashed on the practice squad for a couple weeks while Gute shops around for suitors. Once the deal happens, Braden is promoted and then he adds yet another player who he's had his eye on around the league. Let's see what happens in 2-3 weeks.

I guess a conditional 7th rounder would be better than nothing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wouldn't be looking at a move this insignificant to be forecasting anything regarding the top of the roster. Teams churn their PS throughout the year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting Taylor is getting cut. I'm suggesting he's getting traded.
Good luck trading him and his contract away. If other teams are in agreement with some of the posters here and Taylor is as bad as many want us to believe, nobody is going to pickup that contract. They will just wait for the Packers to cut him, save a draft pick and sign him for close to Vet. Min.

I'm not saying Taylor has played well, but I don't think other teams will think he has either.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was one who theorized that Taylor might be cut in the offseason. I think that time has past. And while I would be more than fine with Jenkins taking over that spot, Turner has not played particularly well. I don't think GB is in position to cut him Taylor.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was one who theorized that Taylor might be cut in the offseason. I think that time has past. And while I would be more than fine with Jenkins taking over that spot, Turner has not played particularly well. I don't think GB is in position to cut him Taylor.

This was something I wanted to ask...

Turner is kind of a stereotypical journeyman NFL player. I haven't focused on him, but I've heard grumblings that he also isn't playing that well. Should Jenkins replace him?

Is Taylor's problem a deficiency at RG? Some kind of cascading failure?

In 2016, Sitton is cut, Taylor steps in and we don't have any real problems.

In 2017, Langs contract expires, Evans is brought in on a one year rental. Again no real problems.

In 2018, Bell and McCray both play poorly. Suddenly Taylor looks bad too. What happened?

What happened there?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Turner is kind of a stereotypical journeyman NFL player. I haven't focused on him, but I've heard grumblings that he also isn't playing that well. Should Jenkins replace him?

In 2017, Langs contract expires, Evans is brought in on a one year rental. Again no real problems.

In 2018, Bell and McCray both play poorly. Suddenly Taylor looks bad too. What happened?

What happened there?

After the investment in Turner, who is going to need to play consistently poorly for a long time to get replaced. That would, in essence be an admission of failure.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sunk cost.

If he's the worse player, replace him first.

I'm not saying that's wrong, but it's also not realistic. GM's aren't that quick to throw in the towel on big FA acquisitions. Fair or not, the leash is longer for Turner than for Taylor.

And to be clear-- I am not agreeing that Turner has been worse. I have not (and won't) go back and focus on the guard play to have a strong, personal opinion on it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

What happened there?

I'm no expert, but if you watch Taylor, he is his own problem right now. I wouldn't blame his deficiencies on other players. Whether he has digressed a lot or just faced tough defenders, I think we will find out as the season goes on. Who did he face in the last 2 games? Maybe much better players than he will have to most of the season? I haven't watched film on him during the Viking game, but I do know he was manhandled quite a few times in the Bear game by their strong front 7, as was Bahk on a few occasions.

The good news, the Packers have some depth on the OL and maybe if they keep rotating him and Jenkins, they will come out of it with a LG that is playing better than we have seen so far. I still think that considering the 2 front 7's the OL has faced, its too early to hit the panic button on Taylor and the rest of the Packer OL.

Getting rid of Taylor right now? Please no, we have seen in the past what ends up happening when injuries pile up and you are starting guys who began the year on the PS.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting rid of Taylor right now? Please no, we have seen in the past what ends up happening when injuries pile up and you are starting guys who began the year on the PS.

Absolutely agree on not getting rid of Taylor.

If he loses his spot and becomes the no. 6, that's fine. He's too valuable and versatile to just cut loose.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Taylor isn't getting moved because of a PS player.

This doesn't mean anything except that Braden is a player they like and want to check out more.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What happened there?

Exactly what would the RG be doing that makes the LG play poorly? I can see where there are situations (pulling) where that could happen, but it would be fairly obvious. They're far enough away where they aren't tripping on each other, etc.

I think most of the time the obvious answer is the correct answer. Taylor just isn't that good.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly what would the RG be doing that makes the LG play poorly? I can see where there are situations (pulling) where that could happen, but it would be fairly obvious. They're far enough away where they aren't tripping on each other, etc.

I think most of the time the obvious answer is the correct answer. Taylor just isn't that good.

Taylor could be not-that-good AND the problems could be the RG.

If the RG is the weakest link or weaker than the LG, the C will spend a disproportionate amount of time helping him out. Protections will shift to protect him or hide him. The team could elect to run away from the bad RG, forcing more runs to the LG side.

Again, none of that means that Taylor is good. Or that Turner IS the problem. It could have also be that Lang was good enough that it allowed our Centers to near exclusively coverup/protect Taylor at LG.

I'd say there is currently insufficient evidence to say why we're struggling at guard. It looks like both are doing poorly. Taylor has evidence of playing at least adequately in the past. So now I'm asking why?

Taylor was limited and the injuries are impacting more than anticipated? Possibly.

Cascading failures along the interior? Possibly.

Linsley isn't as good as we thought? Possibly, but I'd rate it pretty low on the likely scale.

Also possible that we played our two hardest games of the year and we don't face a DL that'll present that kind of challenge.

Members online

Latest posts