2019 Packer Roster / Practice Squad Changes

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So did anyone notable slip through the cracks between roster cut downs and our practice squad?

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I'm not aware of that reputation. And I would wonder what kind of coverage. A 6'1" 245 lb MIKE might have a knack for dropping in a shallow zone, but would still be a disaster if asked to handle man coverage responsibilities against tight ends.

That kind of smells like some PFF nonsense to me. They're often responsible for misleading reputations because their grades only cover what a guy was asked to do and can't account for what a guy didn't do because he wasn't asked because he can't do it.

Lastly-- if Marshall is a good cover linebacker, why are two teams with bad rosters (OAK and DEN) both paying him money to not play for them in 2019?
Marshall played with a bone bruise in a knee last year. One article has him saying he's down to 230 - 235 lbs. to better handle downfield coverages. That doesn't sound auspicious.

That is a valid point about PFF grades. Also, I have never seen any indication they adjust grades for level of competition.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lastly-- if Marshall is a good cover linebacker, why are two teams with bad rosters (OAK and DEN) both paying him money to not play for them in 2019?

Probably like so many other overpriced vets, they decided that he wasn't worth the money and/or they felt that they had a cheaper replacement, same thing we saw with a few Packers in the past. Marshall has also been battling a knee injury, so that might have played into it as well.

This offseason, Raiders coach Jon Gruden called Marshall “one of the best coverage linebackers in football.”

Now that doesn't mean that Gruden is right or he may have been trying to justify paying him the money they signed him for and then found out later how wrong he was. But Marshall did have a reputation, once upon a time as a guy who could cover.

Given that the Packers will be starting a 7th rd. rookie at the Will, who himself is more of a MIKE LB, I still think the position, as well as its depth needs to be upgraded.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/30/giants-could-have-interest-in-released-linebacker-brandon-marshall/

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Probably like so many other overpriced vets, they decided that he wasn't worth the money and/or they felt that they had a cheaper replacement, same thing we saw with a few Packers in the past. Marshall has also been battling a knee injury, so that might have played into it as well.

This offseason, Raiders coach Jon Gruden called Marshall “one of the best coverage linebackers in football.”

Now that doesn't mean that Gruden is right or he may have been trying to justify paying him the money they signed him for and then found out later how wrong he was. But Marshall did have a reputation, once upon a time as a guy who could cover.

Given that the Packers will be starting a 7th rd. rookie at the Will, who himself is more of a MIKE LB, I still think the position, as well as its depth needs to be upgraded.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/30/giants-could-have-interest-in-released-linebacker-brandon-marshall/

They won't though. This is what I'm trying to say. Look at the snap counts last year. Pettine is going to use a safety most of the time until Burks is ready. Summers might be out there for maybe 25% of snaps when they are in base or GL defense.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yup. a cap casualty.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So did anyone notable slip through the cracks between roster cut downs and our practice squad?

Yeah, to me, many surprises.

Yosh, Lazard, Carson, Sheldon, Wilkins, Ento.... I’m personally surprised each one of them made it.

Gotta say to everyone here, been a pleasure kicking all our ideas on this around w you last couple weeks. Made it Superfun! Thank you. I enjoyed the hell out of it, hope you did too. Cheers!

Bear week, Baby! Go Packers!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yosh, Lazard, Carson, Sheldon, Wilkins, Ento.... I’m personally surprised each one of them made it.
Let this be the reminder that "no way that guy gets to the practice squad" is said every season and in almost every case the player DOES make it to the practice squad. Every team has those guys. If you are exposing them to the waiver wire, that aren't ready yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Let this be the reminder that "no way that guy gets to the practice squad" is said every season and in almost every case the player DOES make it to the practice squad. Every team has those guys. If you are exposing them to the waiver wire, that aren't ready yet.

Yup and we probably kept 5 or so guys on the 53 that would have made it to the Packers Practice Squad safely as well. While I would never say "no way that guy gets to the PS", I for one thought Lazard would be a tough slide to the PS, but I think not playing in the final game might have helped there. Also, he might be one of the first guys we see leave the PS, whether that is to take a place on the Packer roster or another teams roster, who knows.

I have often wondered how teams scout other teams and to what extent during the preseason. There are 90+ guys for each team over the preseason period. Which sounds like a lot of guys, but college scouting has a lot of players to look at too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well I guess we now have a pretty good indication of what it would have cost to sign QB Brian Hoyer.

Former #Patriots backup QB Brian Hoyer is signing with the #Colts, source said. It’s a 3-year deal worth $12M.

I know there would have been a few Packer fans shaking their heads at paying a backup $4M/year, but I wonder how many of those same posters will be shaking their heads if AR goes down and Boyle can't get the job done.

Somewhat expensive insurance, but I believe a guy that would have provided the Packers with a decent shot at coming in and putting up some W's if called on. I don't have that confidence in Tim Boyle.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it is expensive insurance. It's like investing 20% of your income on a super car and then spending Cadillac money on a Ford Pinto for a back up to make sure you can get to work when you could get and AMC gremlin for AMC gremlin money to do the same thing. At that point you're just hoping the POS runs when you need it to and both are just as likely to run as die.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
it is expensive insurance. It's like investing 20% of your income on a super car and then spending Cadillac money on a Ford Pinto for a back up to make sure you can get to work when you could get and AMC gremlin for AMC gremlin money to do the same thing. At that point you're just hoping the POS runs when you need it to and both are just as likely to run as die.

While I get what you are saying, I think Hoyer would have been a big short term upgrade over Boyle, but I am open to Boyle proving me wrong. But way more open to us never knowing, since this means Rodgers stays healthy.

I don't consider $4M on a solid backup NFL QB wasted money if the need is there.

Really it comes down to a few questions:
  1. Will Aaron Rodgers stay healthy?
  2. Will it matter who the backup is if he doesn't?
  3. How much money are you willing to spend on the QB position?
  4. How much money are you wanting to pack away for upcoming contracts?
I think point #2, combined with #4 has Gute and the Packers going all in once again with Rodgers. I mean what else are we suppose to conclude? After Rodgers you have 2 QB's that haven't taken a snap in a regular season game and only one of them has even dressed for a game, just one game at that.

If I thought the Packers were knocking on the door to a sure Super Bowl Berth, I would be more ticked off at this approach. However, I have to think that any success we have this season, will once again only be had while #12 is still playing. So yes, spending $4M strictly on an insurance policy that probably wouldn't be enough to get you to the SB if it gets cashed in, might have been the wrong move.

But if the Packers get on a roll and look like they are heading for the SB, I think a lot of us are going to be holding our collective breaths that we never see Boyle play, because that just might end a playoff run if it happens.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably is better than Boyle. All in with Rodgers was sealed when they went all in with a contract. I don't care how many snaps someone has in the NFL, the ones recycled as backups are for a reason, known commodities that can't hack it with regular play and unknown who maybe can't hack it, maybe can, maybe will be great.

I do know that regardless if Boyle, Hoyer, Hundley etc, the bulk of if we win or lose will be the strength of the team around him. ST will play a role, defense has to take pressure off the offense, give them good field position, keep scores low etc. If we don't have that, I don't care who are back up is because it largely won't matter. If we don't have an oline to keep them clean, doesn't matter. If we can't run the ball to take pressure off, it won't matter.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I tend to agree with you on "the rest of the team has to step up around Rodgers", we have seen that Rodgers can really step up what the Packers do. So a backup QB really isn't about, can they do all of what Rodgers can do? Because they can't and if they are asked to play more than a few games due to a major injury to #12, no matter who it is, season is probably over, unless that defense and the offense has REALLY improved. But if you are just looking for a QB that can "hold serve" for a quarter, a half or even a game, I have a lot more faith in a guy like Hoyer than I would in Boyle.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't just a 1 year $4M contract. Was $9M Guaranteed. Not sure I'd want to hook Hoyer into a multi year contract given some of their signing priorities coming up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wasn't just a 1 year $4M contract. Was $9M Guaranteed. Not sure I'd want to hook Hoyer into a multi year contract given some of their signing priorities coming up.

Yup, insurance on such an important position isn't cheap. So really just a matter of how strong a team feels on the decision to go with a #2 QB with no experience on the cheap or a game ready backup QB for the price of a mid tier starter. Basically, paying him somewhere around Billy Turner money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
an experienced backup on this borderline team would be a total waste of cap dollars. it's rodgers or a high draft position at this stage.

I think that is correct, if Rodgers would miss significant time. However, what if he only misses a half, a game, goes out of a playoff game in the 4th Q with the game tied?

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jesus H. You think I don’t know that? I said I was “personally surprised.”

I still question how secure 3 of them are there.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is correct, if Rodgers would miss significant time. However, what if he only misses a half, a game, goes out of a playoff game in the 4th Q with the game tied?

You know, sometimes you make your own luck too. Look at Brady coming in for Bledsoe...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You know, sometimes you make your own luck too. Look at Brady coming in for Bledsoe...

favre for majik.

Hundley for Rodgers....Kizer for Rodgers....TJ Rubley for Favre...

Sure, anything can happen, but if you want to rely on the luck of having an UDFA second year QB out of an FCS school, coming in and playing well, I will take the other side of that bet anytime and day.

EDIT: This isn't saying that I don't think Tim Boyle could eventually develop into an NFL QB, but at this time, I just don't see him being ready. The Packers obviously disagree or have a ton of faith in Rodgers staying healthy.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley for Rodgers....Kizer for Rodgers....TJ Rubley for Favre...

Sure, anything can happen, but if you want to rely on the luck of having an UDFA second year QB coming in and playing well, I will take the other side of that bet anytime and day.
you forgot flynn for rodgers. flynn parlayed that into $20m+ lol

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
you forgot flynn for rodgers. flynn parlayed that into $20m+ lol

Yup and Flynn is still laughing all the way to the bank. His is quite the amazing story really. Leads LSU to a National Championship, gets drafted in the 7th round, doesn't really sniff the field until his 4th year and an injury to Rodgers brings him in against the Pats and he lights up Detroit in the final game of the season (while the Packers were resting starters even) and parlays that into a HUGE contract. I have heard that game be termed "Matt Flynn's $14.5M game".

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Demovsky reports that James Crawford is being released to make room for B.J. Goodson acquired in trade.