2010 Draft - Round 2, Pick 24, Overall Pick 56: Mike Neal

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with the "working for an NFL team" thing. They miss sometimes.

Don't know if this is the case though. It's a HUGE position of need, we must be able to bring better pressure from inside. With Harrell's back, Jolly's legal case, we're left with Jenkins, Pickett, Raji and Wynn. Not exactly rotation there. And if one goes down, we're screwed.

You can never have enough DLinemen...

I think it was a huge reach, though. Had him as a 3rd rounder...

But then again, Burnett was such a value... Had him as a 2nd...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Besides, let me ask this- If you could do so much better, why aren't you working with an NFL team? Why are you *****ing about a pick on a fan run forum rather than working on a front office somewhere?

Oh, that's right. You don't necessarily know what you're talking about.
You're right. Some of us don't like the pick, so clearly we don't know what we're talking about.

Some of us are going to like picks, some aren't. No need to go after the people that don't like the picks like that. They're just as entitled to their opinion as you are.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Brohm is gone, I was just explaining that it didn't matter if he was a good pick or not. And yes you're right, shine was a bit exaggerated, but Hawk does a good job in coverage, at least I feel he does.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with the "working for an NFL team" thing. They miss sometimes.

Don't know if this is the case though. It's a HUGE position of need, we must be able to bring better pressure from inside. With Harrell's back, Jolly's legal case, we're left with Jenkins, Pickett, Raji and Wynn. Not exactly rotation there. And if one goes down, we're screwed.

You can never have enough DLinemen...

I think it was a huge reach, though. Had him as a 3rd rounder...

But then again, Burnett was such a value... Had him as a 2nd...

I agree and TT said in his press conference that injuries are what led him to pick the way he did. Atari's ankle keeps giving away so he had no choice but to trade up for a safety. He also mentioned about keeping the D-line fresh during the course of the game which is why he took the best DT available which was Neal.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree totally! Remember that when they brought in Capers to run the Defense they stated that it was gonna be a process to get the type of players in that fit the 3-4 defense. He's perfect fit for a 3-4 end/tackle. The guy is strong as an ox and had to be double teamed in college. With a 510 lb Bench Press, 615 lb Squat & a 4.8 in the 40 yard dash which isn't bad either and he provides more youth along the line. I like what GB is doing getting Raji last year and Neal this year.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you trust TT? diamonds in the rough?.. aj hawk.. justin harrell.. brian brohm, jordy nelson to a lesser degree..granted he has def found some gems but he has had his fair share of busts or players who hadnt lived up to expectations.. lets just say i believe this pick will fall into that catergory.. ill be the first to admit im wrong if he becomes a probowler and a solid player of ours but i dont see it happening.. i hope im wrong but i dont have to same faith in tt as you may

You will be the first one to admit your wrong? Okay how about we start with this post from a year ago when talking about clay mathews...

are you guys joking... we gave up WAY TOO MUCH for him.. are you kidding me we give up three picks to draft a guy who was a backup de for all of his carrer besides the last 10 games of usc's season.... we just drafted a co special team player of the year in the first round... that was the worst pick we could have ever possibly made.. hes an undersized linebacker and an undersized de.. hes absolutely useless..id much rather have poppinga started at olb then him... i am completely dissapointed we drafted a back up/ speacial teams player in the first round...its embarassing

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will. He is durable which already gives him a leg up on Harrell, and he is crazy strong, demanding double teams. One less guy available to pick up Matthews when he blitzes.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to go after anyone in particular, just the constant Ted Thompson bashing kinda bugged me a bit. My point was, while I understand everyone has their opinions, these guys are professionals who have a lot more insight and resources than we, the casual fan. They have the ability to see things we can't possibly see from the outside, so I'm inclined to believe they know what they're doing.

Then again, there are those who think TT can never do anything right and will criticize the fact that he gets up in the morning, so...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will be the first one to admit your wrong? Okay how about we start with this post from a year ago when talking about clay mathews...

LOL! Sorry, but that's exactly what I'm talking about... Too funny!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mount Cody is sitting there. Brandon Spikes is sitting there. Thompson better know something we don't!
Cody is the fattest, slowest player in the world. We have Raji and Pickett, we don't need an largely overweight (370 lbs) NT...

And though I liked Spikes, he did run an astonishing 5.0 40 yard dash. Though 40 yard dash doesn't mean much, when you run it THAT slow, it does...

I do think we needed a DE, and will judge when he's on the field...

But Corey Wootton was a better pick IMHO...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Spanish Rose, saying about CM3: "that was the worst pick we could have ever possibly made..", sorry to say, but completely kills any argument you can make...

It's not that you were wrong about him. That's fine, I had my doubts. But when you label a guy that was a MONSTER in his rookie year "THE WORST PICK WE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY MADE", makes you look like you're autimatically dissing any pick Ted Thompson makes, before they even take the field.

Makes you look like, you know, a hater...

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Neal pick made me flip out for a short while because of course the sleeper I liked was Ben Tate and he went next then Hardesty. I just don't consider the DE position one of need. TT and others are making the comment that it would have been a stretch to go elsewhere... I disagree. Jerome Murphy from S.FLA was still available and I don't think it would have been too much of a strech. What about Whotton or Griffen? Not stretches. I really liked the Burnett pick though, so I think we will be ok.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would it kill TT to take the opinion of other scouts not working for him once in a while. I still think we could taken Burnett in the second and picked this Mike guy in the 3rd and had not lost the 4th round pick. But who knows.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relax people, the sky is not falling with this pick. God, some of you are rather melodramatic.

So far I've heard nothing but pretty positive things about this pick. No, it's not the **** choice, but with Jenkins and Jolly in contract years, plus Jolly's pending legal issues, this is a position we need to make sure we have squared away.

Besides, let me ask this- If you could do so much better, why aren't you working with an NFL team? Why are you *****ing about a pick on a fan run forum rather than working on a front office somewhere?

Oh, that's right. You don't necessarily know what you're talking about.
and they necessarily do? so every GM in the world has gotten everyone of their picks correct? damn i must be watching a different NFL than you.. what if i do become a GM in the league? what would you say to me then?.. just because they get paid to do things like that doesnt mean their "opinions"of a certain players are wrong..i dislike ignorant people like you.. how some of you are blinded by TT that you belive everything he does is right.. i dont get how some of you dont see how this pick was absolutely horrible baffles me..yea maybe we need a little depth but thats what the later rounds are for.. your first two rounds need to be solid starters .. this would have been like taking tebow in the second because we dont have a 3rd string qb.. come on people open your eyes

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, hang on a sec.

A.J Hawk: Yeah he isn't the super bad *** he was made out to be but he is a starter on any NFL roster, plays hard, and shines in coverage.

Jordy Nelson: I'm having a hard time finding anything bad to say about him. He's not Sterling Sharpe but no one claimed he would be. He is talented and has a lot of heart. He produces on offense and is good after the catch.

Brian Brohm: Who cares? Yeah its an issue if A-Rod goes down, but he took a serious whipping the first half of last season and still played well. With the two vets back and a year removed from their injuries plus the addition of Bulaga this is really a non-issue.

Justin Harrell: This is the only real complete bust in my mind. It isn't that he doesn't have skill, we really haven't had the opportunity to see it. He is just hurt all the time, which is bad, but its not like he is a 'bad' player.

TT also gave us Aaron Rodgers, Nick Collins, Raji, Matthews, Jennings, etc. I think we're over critical of his choices even though I would say his track record in the draft is pretty good.
aj hawk-wiffs on tackles constantly and shines in coverage?wrong hawk
jordy nelson- yes hes ok.. never said he was bad.. didnt need him in the second round though is what im saying.. we would be much better off right now had we drafted another position
Brian brohm..another second round selection... dont know if you know this but he is no longer on the roster
justin harrell- need i say more

like i said he has def found some good players but you need a better track record in the first and second rounds than what he does.. he def recovered last year but managed to **** it up this year

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do know Brian Brohm is not a Packer anymore right?

And Im as big a Packer fan as the next guy but Hawk doesnt exactly shine in coverage....

Originally Posted by Spanish Rose
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

you trust TT? diamonds in the rough?.. aj hawk.. justin harrell.. brian brohm, jordy nelson to a lesser degree..granted he has def found some gems but he has had his fair share of busts or players who hadnt lived up to expectations.. lets just say i believe this pick will fall into that catergory.. ill be the first to admit im wrong if he becomes a probowler and a solid player of ours but i dont see it happening.. i hope im wrong but i dont have to same faith in tt as you may

And as far as trusting TT, you show me 1 team where every single draft pick went on to be a star or starter.... you cant. I dont understand how you can be upset with TT about some duds he drafted when there are 31 other teams that do the same thing. Its normal. I dont get your post at all... It was very ignorant for you to say.
check out the seahawks draft then come talk to me.. sorry but i dont care about the 31 other teams out there i care about ours... but just to answer your question the gm's who hit most of their picks are the ones who win superbowls.. we havent been to one in how long?.. what are we in ****ing building stage still? we do not need to be looking for depth in the second round

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Spanish Rose, saying about CM3: "that was the worst pick we could have ever possibly made..", sorry to say, but completely kills any argument you can make...

It's not that you were wrong about him. That's fine, I had my doubts. But when you label a guy that was a MONSTER in his rookie year "THE WORST PICK WE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY MADE", makes you look like you're autimatically dissing any pick Ted Thompson makes, before they even take the field.

Makes you look like, you know, a hater...
what exactly am i hating on? so because TT picked harrell and he was, wel,l a bust.. does he kill any argument he makes for a player now?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and i completely admit im wrong.. your point is?

The point is you lose credibility when you overreact, which you did with this pick. Unless you have some crystal ball showing the future, YOU have no idea how a pick will turn out. Maybe you ought to consider taking a step back before reacting?

These guys will make mistakes, same as you. The one thing these guys have over you and anyone else not in a war room is access to resources. They have tape, workouts, pro-days, scouting reports and all kinds of contacts they use when evaluating talent. These are things we don't have access to. As such, I'm inclined to believe their decisions are going to be a bit more of an educated guess than ours.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is you lose credibility when you overreact, which you did with this pick. Unless you have some crystal ball showing the future, YOU have no idea how a pick will turn out. Maybe you ought to consider taking a step back before reacting?

These guys will make mistakes, same as you. The one thing these guys have over you and anyone else not in a war room is access to resources. They have tape, workouts, pro-days, scouting reports and all kinds of contacts they use when evaluating talent. These are things we don't have access to. As such, I'm inclined to believe their decisions are going to be a bit more of an educated guess than ours.
will you send me a cookie if im right? if we can steal a good ILB and draft a good CB then ill be happy

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This pick is at best average. We DO need some depth at DE, which I think Neal will be able to give us some production at; therefore, I'm not totally upset with this pick, but we could have easily drafted a better talent. Very glad about the Burnett pick though, I think he's going to be great.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
we didnt pick tate cause we cant afford to spend 7 million dollars on a slot receiver. This guy is real strong against the run, my thoughts are that this pick means that Johnny Jolly is GONE. Since we picked up CJ.wilson in the 7th, these two will be fighting for the RE spot, since Raji, and Jenkins pretty much have their spots locked up.

In my opinion, one fo these guys, or even both of them neal&wilson, would be our eventual DE's with jenkins getting older and jolly drinking too much.

Members online

Latest posts