2007 Salary Cap Money

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep reading in the forum about the salary cap money that is sill on the table. So I looked through the salary cap page and found these notable player's contracts are up after this season:

Corey Williams
Donald Lee
Tracy White
Rob Davis
Vernand Morency
Collin Cole
Atari Bigby
Ruvell Martin

Now out of this list I find Bigby and Lee as absolute must resigns. I think guys like White, Davis, Cole, and R. Martin should have a place on the team.

For the record, I don't think Corey Williams will be a Packer next year. I believe by today's standards in the NFL, he has earned himself a big payday by one of the other teams. DT is probably our deepest position, and we have a running back in San Diego to go buy.

Who do all of you think should get extensions before the end of the year?

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby, Lee, Cole. Everyone else is expendable since we are so deep at D-line and R. Martin will be no better and probably not much worse than K-Rob, Jennings and JJ. We dont need to pay through the nose to keep him but i like him and i hope we do.

I'd like to see more out of our RB's before giving up on them and giving Turner 45 million. I think our targets this offseason should be 1st, to sure up the offensive line. 2nd, get a situational linebacker who is excellent vs the passing game. 3rd, get more quality depth at cornerback. In my opinion, only after all of that is taken care of, should we start looking at upgrading running backs.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corey Williams = Franchise Tag

Here's the order by importance:

1 - Bigby: The first safety who's playing well.
2 - Cole: Keep the fat guys happy.
3 - Lee: On pace to break GB single-season TE reception record.
4 - Davis: He's never ****** up. Reward him with veteran's minimum.
5 - Martin: Clutch on 3rd Down when Favre has time.
6 - Morency: Just because nobody else will bother.
7 - White: Least important... we have Bishop, Hodge, and Hall for Special Teams.

Reaction score
Over at Packersnews, one of the paper's writers said there are concerns by upper management that Corey Williams has a bit of C. Hunt in him; when he gets his big pay day, he'll become a bit more lax in his effort in practices and games.

I'm surprised Corey Williams wasn't signed to an extension this off-season since I'd have thought he was a part of our 'core players'. The above reason may explain why he wasn't signed...

The Packers seem to be interested in using Corey Williams as an extra TE near the goal line. That shows his versatility, but I wonder if the Packers view such a move as a short term solution or something more long term like the role Kevin Barry played in the U-71 package / some other teams using their LB as an extra FB in goal line situations.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Over at Packersnews, one of the paper's writers said there are concerns by upper management that Corey Williams has a bit of C. Hunt in him; when he gets his big pay day, he'll become a bit more lax in his effort in practices and games.

Williams has shown none of Hunt in him thusfar. Hunt actually didn't show much more than potential prior to getting a big payday. After getting paid, it just made him even more lazy. I seriously doubt that we'll see the same from Williams.

We may have depth at DT, but Williams is our most versatile thusfar. He plays DE regularily along with also getting a couple of offensive goal-line plays. If we have to let go of our of DTs this offseason, I'd rather let Cole go, although I think Cole has done very well also.

That being said, Bigby is obviously our #1 priority to sign on that list. Followed by: Lee and Williams. Those are the top contributers who may be difficult. After that, look at White, Martin, Cole and Morency. Davis will accept the vet's minimum again if he doesn't retire.

GO PACK GO!!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope we can hang on to corey williams. i guess i'm not as up to date on the situation as you guys. so many people here talk about how corey williams won't be back next year, but this site is the only place where i've heard that. anyone have any evidence to support this claim?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Harrell is every bit as good as they think then they should let Williams go. I believe he's an RFA? I'm not 100% sure but if he is then we could probably get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him which would be ok with me.

Personally though I think Williams is a much better and a much more talented player than Cledius Hunt.

Aaronstory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be shocked if they Franchised Williams. They'll be running Pickett, Jolly, Harrell and Cole (who I'll bet they'll extend before the end of the season) at DT next year - no reason to pay-up for Williams who is solid, but not special.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be shocked if they Franchised Williams. They'll be running Pickett, Jolly, Harrell and Cole (who I'll bet they'll extend before the end of the season) at DT next year - no reason to pay-up for Williams who is solid, but not special.

Williams has made more plays than any of those guys. He's been starting for the last couple years and hasn't disappointed in his role.

If they don't franchise him, then what do they do? Let him go and get nothing for him? I doubt that will happen. If he's an RFA, then fine. But if he's not, then we'd be stolen from.

Reaction score
Yeah franchise is a bit extreme measure in this case.

Williams is good no doubt, and this year he is showing more consistency than last. But I don't think the consistency he has shown is enough to warrant him getting the average of the 5 highest paid DTs.

Corey Williams is in his fourth year, so does anyone know if he'd be a RFA?

Aaronstory

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Williams is good no doubt, and this year he is showing more consistency than last. But I don't think the consistency he has shown is enough to warrant him getting the average of the 5 highest paid DTs.

He'll be a UFA in March. (Link)

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Williams is an UFA. To keep Corey, we'd have to pay him MORE that our starters at DT. Not too smart, IMO, as discontent there would be a cancer. He'll get more money elsewhere than he could get from us. So much depends on Harrell. If he ever developes, we don't need Williams. But if he doesn't...........

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He'll be a UFA in March. (Link)

Thanks for the link. Yeah this really is going to be a tough decision for the Packers. I'm guessing they let him go to free up more playing time for Harrell.

Aaronstory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
what's the possibility of extending Williams' contract during this season?

There were talks during training camp, but I'd be shocked if they got him extended now. Look at the stupid money players were getting last FA period. Unless Thompson blows him away with an offer, which he won't, Williams will test the market.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
might as well franchise him. what the average salary of the top 5 DTs? around $6 million?

i think the pack can make a serious super bowl push next year (maybe this year). if favre comes back and we still have a ton of cap space i don't see a problem with paying $6 million to keep our best playmaking DT for a year tohelp this team make a superbowl push. if we have $14 million in cap space again why not?

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep reading in the forum about the salary cap money that is sill on the table. So I looked through the salary cap page and found these notable player's contracts are up after this season:

Corey Williams
Donald Lee
Tracy White
Rob Davis
Vernand Morency
Collin Cole
Atari Bigby
Ruvell Martin

Bigby could get a similar deal as Cullen Jenkins got at the end of last year.

If he keeps it up, I definitely see Lee wanting as much money as Bubba Franks is getting.

Morency needs to prove something, but my come cheap.

Martin, Cole, and Davis should be cheap and given shots in camp.

White will play his heart out for the veteran minimum.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
might as well franchise him. what the average salary of the top 5 DTs? around $6 million?

i think the pack can make a serious super bowl push next year (maybe this year). if favre comes back and we still have a ton of cap space i don't see a problem with paying $6 million to keep our best playmaking DT for a year tohelp this team make a superbowl push. if we have $14 million in cap space again why not?

Wrong, Cap space > Superbowls

Aaronstory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:

Corey Williams
Donald Lee
Tracy White
Rob Davis
Vernand Morency
Collin Cole
Atari Bigby
Ruvell Martin

Bigby could get a similar deal as Cullen Jenkins got at the end of last year.

If he keeps it up, I definitely see Lee wanting as much money as Bubba Franks is getting.

Morency needs to prove something, but my come cheap.

Martin, Cole, and Davis should be cheap and given shots in camp.

White will play his heart out for the veteran minimum.

Agree on all points.

I'll bet they lock up Bigby sometime this year.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

Wrong, Cap space > Superbowls

care to elaborate?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
none of those guys should get an extenshion

These guys?
Corey Williams
Donald Lee
Tracy White
Rob Davis
Vernand Morency
Collin Cole
Atari Bigby
Ruvell Martin

You believe that we should let them all go?
Lee, who's on pace for a record receiving year for GB TEs?
Williams, who's one of the best DL on the team and the most versatile?
Bigby, who's been a major part of solidfying our secondary?
Davis, who's been a solid reliable LS forever?
White, who's been our best ST player, with out ST playing very well?

Why do you believe that none of these guys deserve a contract??

Members online

Latest posts