Training camp notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Quarless' good play so far, he looks poised to win the starting spot. This is a good opportunity to put Lyerla on the practice squad and see if he develops.

I heard Lyerla didnt even look like a practice squad candidate.

H

HardRightEdge

Barclay was carted off today with what appeared to be a knee injury. McCarthy is expecting an update this evening but he did not sound very optimistic, saying Barclay was caught in a "compromised position".

This would be the first significant injury of this camp since Barclay is likely the #1 backup at both G positions and likely RT as well at this juncture. Lane Taylor as the #1 G backup starting the season is not something I'd like to see.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Barclay was carted off today with what appeared to be a knee injury. McCarthy is expecting an update this evening but he did not sound very optimistic, saying Barclay was caught in a "compromised position".

This would be the first significant injury of this camp since Barclay is likely the #1 backup at both G positions and likely RT as well at this juncture. Lane Taylor as the #1 G backup starting the season is not something I'd like to see.
You don't think Taylor will be improved over last year? Maybe Bulaga gets some looks at G and Sherrod moves into RT?
Perhaps Linsely as backup G?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

You don't think Taylor will be improved over last year? Maybe Bulaga gets some looks at G and Sherrod moves into RT?

Bulaga will stay at RT and Sherrod the primary backup at LT. Barclay´s injury won´t affect the OL play as long as everybody stays healthy, if the Packers suffer an injury at any guard position or at RT we´ll be in trouble though.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga will stay at RT and Sherrod the primary backup at LT. Barclay´s injury won´t affect the OL play as long as everybody stays healthy, if the Packers suffer an injury at any guard position or at RT we´ll be in trouble though.
The Barclay injury GREATLY affects the game-day active 46, as Don could have filled-in at any of the interior spots or RT without the offense missing a beat. Unless there's another highly intelligent, highly flexible OL to fill that role a valuable game-day roster spot will need to go towards OL (rather than TE or LB which is highly desired for ST). Might be time to start cross-training Lane Taylor on the interior 3 spots and shifting Sherrod (if he's not going to beat out Bakhtiari) between LT and RT. No more "specializing" at one position for the probable 53 OL's.

No offense, but I chuckled when I read your line "as long as everybody stays healthy..." ~ that hasn't happened in 5+ years, why should ANYONE expect it now?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Barclay injury GREATLY affects the game-day active 46, as Don could have filled-in at any of the interior spots or RT without the offense missing a beat. Unless there's another highly intelligent, highly flexible OL to fill that role a valuable game-day roster spot will need to go towards OL (rather than TE or LB which is highly desired for ST). Might be time to start cross-training Lane Taylor on the interior 3 spots and shifting Sherrod (if he's not going to beat out Bakhtiari) between LT and RT. No more "specializing" at one position for the probable 53 OL's.

No offense, but I chuckled when I read your line "as long as everybody stays healthy..." ~ that hasn't happened in 5+ years, why should ANYONE expect it now?

I think we're now beyond the "everybody staying healthy" phase and the reality of the NFL has hit once again.

I agree that Barclay is a real loss. He was our #1 backup for OG and possibly for OC. Lang has been having back problems, and Sitton has missed some games over the last 2 years.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think the Packers will still carry only seven OL on the active game-day roster with Sherrod backing up both tackles and Taylor backing up both guards. An injury to Tretter probably would mean Lang moving over during the game.

Well, after Bulaga got hurt during Family Night last year the starting offensive linemen missed a combined two games.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think we're now beyond the "everybody staying healthy" phase and the reality of the NFL has hit once again.

I agree that Barclay is a real loss. He was our #1 backup for OG and possibly for OC. Lang has been having back problems, and Sitton has missed some games over the last 2 years.

Sitton hasn´t missed a game since 2011 and has started 78 of the last 80 games.

H

HardRightEdge

Taylor should be improved, but that might mean going from dreadful to just plain poor.

Bulaga playing guard results in two weakened positions.

I've not read anything about Linsley practicing anywhere but center and McCarthy mentioned in passing that all the guys can play multiple positions except "maybe the center for the first time"; he was presumably speaking of Linsley who has his hands full learning the center position as played in Green Bay notwithstanding Ohio State having used zone blocking schemes.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
For those posting how incredibly deep the Packers OL was a few days ago, how do you reconcile that with now being so concerned about the loss of one O lineman? Had a starter gone down and Barclay took his place the relative depth of the OL would be the same. With a healthy Barclay the Packers would have been better off overall on the OL, but that doesn’t mean they were deep. Sherrod’s progress obviously becomes much more important – if Taylor isn’t the answer perhaps Sherrod steps in as the backup at every spot except OC? Only half kidding – they really need Taylor – or someone else - to improve. If there’s a decent backup FA OL…

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
For those posting how incredibly deep the Packers OL was a few days ago, how do you reconcile that with now being so concerned about the loss of one O lineman? Had a starter gone down and Barclay took his place the relative depth of the OL would be the same. With a healthy Barclay the Packers would have been better off overall on the OL, but that doesn’t mean they were deep. Sherrod’s progress obviously becomes much more important – if Taylor isn’t the answer perhaps Sherrod steps in as the backup at every spot except OC? Only half kidding – they really need Taylor – or someone else - to improve. If there’s a decent backup FA OL…

???? I know richie incognito is still available lol

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Sherrod’s progress obviously becomes much more important – if Taylor isn’t the answer perhaps Sherrod steps in as the backup at every spot except OC? Only half kidding – they really need Taylor – or someone else - to improve. If there’s a decent backup FA OL…

Not surprisingly Thompson said during his press conference that the Packers won´t look for someone from outside the current roster to replace Barclay.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not surprisingly Thompson said during his press conference that the Packers won´t look for someone from outside the current roster to replace Barclay.
I guess that means that until proven otherwise mgmt and staff feels that someone in camp will emerge. There are still a number of teams that will be shedding higher salaries to get under the cap. There will be plenty of options as other teams pare their rosters.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Nelson has a hamstring injury, McCarthy said he's day-to-day, Adams has wrist injury.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Josh Boyd has a rib inuryand both Rajion Neal's and Joe Thomas' rib injuries aren't long term.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This nelson hamstring injury really has me worried, these never seem to work out in Green Bay (Hayward, Burnett, Nelson in 2012).

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
COLT LYERLA future with Packers in doubt

The rookie tight end sustained torn medial-collateral and posterior-collateral ligaments in his right knee in practice Aug. 2. He won't need surgery and has graduated to walking with one crutch instead of two, but he likely will be out for at least a few more weeks with only two weeks of camp remaining.

"It was pretty much what I was expecting," Lyerla said Tuesday. "I can't say a whole lot. I don't imagine being back for the end of training camp."

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...eeks/13972195/

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This nelson hamstring injury really has me worried, these never seem to work out in Green Bay (Hayward, Burnett, Nelson in 2012).

I've gotten the general impression McCarthy doesn't think much of preseason football. I bet he's practicing if this was during the regular season.