February Mock...Flipping The Script "Kinda"

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well well well....only two more predictive mocks from me before the draft are left. Incase it's your first time with me, I do mocks a bit different....it's not just me doing a mock, but I try especially as we get closer to April predict what Gute may actually do. Here's February...

1.25 - The part that sucks is likelihood of a QB still be here that someone might want to come up and grab I think will be low...most of that shuffling is done by 15, 20 at the worst I think this draft given prospects and teams looking one would assume. So a strong trade back due to QB prospect is low....the only other option could be if a WR someone has high on their board manages to slide back and through. I strongly think Gute would trade back if right offer but let's say no suitors.

Gute looks at his board and he has a guy according to the War Room's board checks tons of boxes...a very much physical freak for his positional placement, HIGH RAS, elite level competition, not a crazy older prospect and in a position defenses can never have enough of......he calls in the name and Goodell walks to the mic...

".....Darius Robinson, Missouri." I can see the heads exploding now...keyboards melting....screams recording and played back on youtube and tik tok...Gute again "flips the script" and picks a guy according to his board and script not ours. Yes Safety is of immense need, yes OL stud would be monumental....shoot a LB to finally be a clear stud at that position all are possible...but an edge?!?!?!

Built in the mold of a Karl Brooks and somewhat lesser Van Ness - Robinson is that BIGGER bodied athletic beast along the edge that can reduce inside. The man's measurables outside of weight (only 20 pounds light) are honestly everything you look for in a elite movement level tackle prospect for your OL. 6'5' 286lbs (slender frame could hold more even if needed or asked) with arms stretching 34.75 inches and a wingspan at 84.5.

That wingspan and arm length made essentially everyone not named Patrick Paul at the senior bowl look small. Kid is a freak and his experience with alignment diversity along the outside and inside is that diverse offering and body size that Hefley will need should we see more 4-3 front types. Enagbare is right on the edge body size make up for this new role style possibly, throw in his injury and outside need is there but Gute throws everybody into a whirlwhind with a Gary and LVN type drafting.

2.41 - Kamren Kinchens Miami - S. Due to being a safety in a class with no CLEAR head and shoulders Kyle Hamilton type, it is hard to predict who the first true safety (DeJean could be the best safety drafted...) off the board and when. The perfect world scenario is Gute doesn't push or force the Kinchens pick at 25, and instead is rewarded with him still there at 41. The other option would be if Nubin is on the board. Both have the ability IMO to be that one high type guy, Kinchens is pronounced Nick Collins in my house and yes I understand that level of expectations. I've broken Kinchens elsewhere and will just paste:

- Closing Ability - The first thing that pops to me is this mans downhill or jump ball closing explosion seems quicker than at any other time he closes on the field. It's almost like his body can produce a higher gear when he sees a ballcarrier break through the line or the ball is in the air more so than even if a receiver slips behind a corner and he has over the top help and has to close. Kinchens plays the ball, and does so with an anger almost that I always saw in Nick - until the ball is possessed by the offense, Kinchens 100% feels that ball is his.

-Body for hitting - While he is highly athletic and has excellent speed and acceleration (not elite but very good) none of that comes at a cost of body structure or hitting ability. He unlike say Bullock out of USC is not a pencil thin pool noodle trying to shoulder or ankle tackle everything (I'm exxagerating folks but Bullock is much more slender). At 5'11' 205lbs (Miami site claims 6 foot)

- Fluidity and Flexibility throughout movements - While his long speed isn't quite elite, meaning unlike say stokes who could make up for misstep or delayed reactions with his speed, Kinchens makes up for in his anticipation but also his body control. His hips are fluid and this allows hip to keep exceptional leverage typically when in coverage....his backpedal is IMO the best out of the safeties on this list and it is all of this that gives me that true center field of the future vibe from him.

- Ball hawking can cost him - His aggression and belief he can get the ball costs him at times and his growth in the knowledge and in game ability to know when to go for it and when to go for the receiver instead or just not overcommit will be the biggest hurdle IMO of him being just a starter vs potentially an all pro type safety in a few years.

If you want to see him in at his best IMO check out the film from this years' Texas A&M game...all phases he showed out. Both this year and last year Clemson games he was awesome, and last year's film that got me pumped for him even last year was Georgia Tech and the before mentioned Clemson game. That GTech game of 2022 Kamren scored guys a 96.8 overall PFF grade...but a 77.6 in Run defense, 73.6 Tackling grade and a 96.2 Coverage grade...just ludacris good day. He took over 400 snaps (57.2%) at FS vs 174 box and 117 slot in 2022 and this past year saw him again majority at FS with 379 (59.4%) FS vs 110 box and 113 slot.

2.57 Junior Colson Michigan Linebacker - I just cannot get over how much I like Junior as a prospect...and in a LB cluster of guys like Cooper/Trotter/Wilson Junior is the guy I keep going back feeling like there is still so much untapped there for him ceiling wise. He isn't the best rusher when sent on a blitz, but this man is a tackling beast - who isn't a one trick pony, match him up in coverage and he can hold his own and do it quite well. Even more impressive is how amazing he is once he gets his hands on you - he tackles you. There are many guys Michigan can thank for their dominance of late, but Junior's name better be among them when you speak on it.

Campbell is aging out...Quay needs someone to come in and either wake him up or let him be our second best LB not our best. Either way, Junior checks a TON of boxes for Gute, arguably I bet every box he cares about (age, high level college play, RAS...all of it).

3.88 Christian Jones, Texas OT - lot of guys I like...but here I could see Gute grab a guy that may be unknown to some. Relatively quiet college career when Texas had him at LT, then in 2022 they moved him to RT and something clicked. From 2022 and through this year - PFF claims Jones only gave up 4 sacks in that time and as we all know Texas has faced both those year some elite rushers in matchups. He checks the boxes GB seems to like coming in at 6'5' 318lbs / 34 7/8 arms and 83 7/8 wingspan he has better length than Tom did coming out. Jones has the athleticism and the tenacity I bet to play all but center spots along our front so picking him would be essentially IMO mean between him, walker and Tom the LT, RG and RT would shake out to the best grouping. A guy to many that has been "rising" but he's never been less or more, and those that have watched tape knew they saw a top 100 or so level guy.

3.91 Max Melton, Rutgers CB - I had this to say dating clear back to September and while Rutgers just was down all year, he showed out at the Senior Bowl and showed a lot of what I saw then:

Max Melton CB Rutgers 6'0' 190lbs
Melton, yes he is the brother of Bo, is for me that guy I feel many are overlooking and yet is a very solid all around CB that I see transitioning to the next level very well. His hips, long speed and short range quickness jump off the film - his tape against Ohio State was something I've not seen much of. A gleaming Day 2 CB prospect that depending on Stokes health, Rasul future and/or if Valentine is the real deal may be a sneaky need this team could be facing. Over the last two seasons this young man put together 58 tackles / 5 INTs / 15 PDs / 2 FRs and even one TD. Started this year off against Northwestern with a pick and a PD already... Look out for Melton, if his testing goes well and he produces as I predict he will - he will get some Day 1 consideration by some scouts I bet.

He is traditionally a sticky outside corner, however did fair well in limited slot snaps this year in 2023. I'll say the one thing I love about Melton is he is fearless...he will turn himself into a missile in run support and he will likely sacrifice his own health before letting a play go by him.

4.125 - Javon Foster, Missouri OT - I won't bore you with a ton more...look I love this guy and have since last year. Slightly older prospect but tremendous experience in the SEC with immense success to boot. Size and length and play illustrates he can play anywhere but center for us and honestly I wouldn't be shocked if he is a lot like Tom for us. With Runyan likely gone, Nijman too and Newman proving just not progressing at all...taking a second diverse tackle prospect before the fourth is done is quite Gute-esq in nature.

5.177c - Keith Randolph Jr, Illinois iDL - If you've watched film Randolph is a guy that Illinois predominately used in B Gap or Over Tackle but tossed in some outside Tackle even. That ability to slide around is by far one of his most attractive traits, but to see him in Mobile be one of the most consistent bigguns in 1v1 reps with the OL changed my view some on him and showed me there absolutely is that 2022 level guy in him still. 2022 this cat produced 30 or so pressures depending on data source...and that plummeted to around a dozen in 2023. But I feel like part of that was how they used him and I question if there wasn't somekind of injury. However, whatever it was he showed up in Mobile and balled out. He's a hard one to predict, I could see him there in the sixth or gone in the late fourth...so picking him here is not crazy and too much to pass for a team again trying to give Hefley everything he needs with an offense that isn't crazy in need.

6.203 - Isaac Guerendo, Louisville RB - Here's one I'll let out of the bag I have held close to my chest. I have shared how much I liked Braelen Allen from Wisconsin...but to be fair as I dug into his film, as much as I love the kid I don't see a diverse gamechange potential. I see a guy that plods for yards almost and has a TON of usage on his wheels. Enter the other back from "wisconsin". The Wisconsin transfer, just simply had no avenue to playing time behind Allen so went to serve as the change of pace back with Jawhar Johnson and nearly put up more yards than Johnson. He is a BIG back, but has juice in his legs... 6'1' 225lbs. I love the patience he shows, but also if he sees the chance for yards collapsing he lowers his shoulders and plows.....with immense body control to roll and spin even out of contact at times like the old thundering Lacy (albeit not as bowling ball esq). The bonus with Isaac is low use on the tires despite having been a 6th year Covid guy...in his years at Wisconsin he totaled only 99 rushing attempts and this last year rushed for 810 yards on 132 attempts good for 6.1 YPC...PLUS he produced 10.6 yards per catch on 22 for 234 yards. 11 touchdowns as well. Take - Guerendo not Allen I think will be the "Wisconsin" running back with a longer NFL career. *Also I think we bring Dillon back on a small contract...

6.217c - Andrew Raym, Oklahoma OC - Josh Myers hasn't lit the world unfire....but he hasn't been terrible either. After the 2024 season Green Bay will be facing yet again the quandry of what to do with a center and their expiring rookie contract. Do we do to Myers like we did Linsley and say see ya, thanks but no thanks for the future? I think that chance is high and while a late Day3 pick shouldn't be relied on for the replacement you also don't dislike the idea of taking a cheap swing at something potentially. Senior Bowl prospect who had some of his best reps vs T'Vondre Sweat, not something that should go unnoticed, had glimpses in Mobile as to why many feel the best of Raym's game is well ahead of him. His hands are so quick they can make up for his footwork sometimes not being quick enough off the snap...if his technique can build some without any pressure his rookie year - there might be something there. High level competition type guy who will get his chance in the NFL...why not make it be in GB, hopefully in 2025.

7.246 - Hayden Hatten, Idaho WR - Day3 and Gute takes a late round flyer on a guy that knows one thing - production. 2022 Hatten put up 1,209 yards / 16 TDs on 83 receptions. In 2023 he put up 1,231 yards / 9 TDs on 93 receptions. He averaged over 14 yards per catch in his college career and shined at the Hula bowl this year doing what he just does - put up points. He's got size 6'2' 205lbs and from what interviews I could find and intel I could gather (have a friend whose son plays FCS football and has faced Idaho) he is a guy that is very willing to run block too though. In a position group that doesn't need anything arguably....if nothing worse he is your PS replacement of Toure or DuBose.

7.256c - Marshel Martin, Sacramento State FB/TE/H-Back - I've mentioned him in passing before but this is a small school crush Deguara replacement if Ben Sinnot isn't able to be drafted. Marshel showed in 2022 when Sac State threw the ball more that he can be a versatile weapon out of the backfield, split out or inline... putting up 879 yards receiving on 65 receptions kicking in 12 TDs. I mean folks this young man in his freshman campaign put up 550 yards / 39 receptions / 7 TDs. His senior year his stat lines dropped but the team had a lot more spread it scheme and no one on the roster had more than 693 yards...so Marshel's 315 yards (8.8 average) was still very strong for a guy that was sent out in routes far less. A competent, compact physic blocker - who has amassed nearly 2,400 receiving yards and 27 TDs has every bit of a chance to be that small school replacement for Deguara departing.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's my issue with the concept of the 1st round pick:

The Packers are likely to have Gary, Smith, and Van Ness playing edge in this new defense. None of those guys are small; in fact, their body types are better suited to 43DE than 34OLB.

They also have guys who were iDL for Barry who could very likely be that jumbo 2nd in a 4-3 base-- Brooks and Wooden.

They also have Enagbare coming back from injury at some point.

So the Packers would be using their most valuable piece of draft capital to add to the most crowded area of the defense. Meanwhile, even post FA, they are likely to have very serious roster holes at linebacker, cornerback, and safety.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my issue with the concept of the 1st round pick:

The Packers are likely to have Gary, Smith, and Van Ness playing edge in this new defense. None of those guys are small; in fact, their body types are better suited to 43DE than 34OLB.

They also have guys who were iDL for Barry who could very likely be that jumbo 2nd in a 4-3 base-- Brooks and Wooden.

They also have Enagbare coming back from injury at some point.

So the Packers would be using their most valuable piece of draft capital to add to the most crowded area of the defense. Meanwhile, even post FA, they are likely to have very serious roster holes at linebacker, cornerback, and safety.

Just my 2 cents.

Believe me, this was purely a prediction of what Gute does and he ignores need more than I swear he pays attention to it...Gary pick, Love Pick and honestly even LVN pick all defend that logic.

Personally speaking I'm fine with him writing a safety name down Day1 to ensure they get their guy - despite decent chance they drop to day 2 given position value. I think the best value pick Day 1 mixed with need would be a CB or S with an OT with iOL capabilities.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Believe me, this was purely a prediction of what Gute does and he ignores need more than I swear he pays attention to it...Gary pick, Love Pick and honestly even LVN pick all defend that logic.

Personally speaking I'm fine with him writing a safety name down Day1 to ensure they get their guy - despite decent chance they drop to day 2 given position value. I think the best value pick Day 1 mixed with need would be a CB or S with an OT with iOL capabilities.

This would be even more extreme to me than the Gary and LVN selections.

Gary was slotted to be the 3rd guy right away and they knew they planned to reduce Z inside and use three guys.

LVN was also slotted to be the 3rd guy right away and they knew that Preston is nearing the end.

This would like him being the 4th guy, at best, with two of the players ahead of him being under contract for the next four seasons.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would be even more extreme to me than the Gary and LVN selections.

Gary was slotted to be the 3rd guy right away and they knew they planned to reduce Z inside and use three guys.

LVN was also slotted to be the 3rd guy right away and they knew that Preston is nearing the end.

This would like him being the 4th guy, at best, with two of the players ahead of him being under contract for the next four seasons.

Gary was not the third, Fackrell had just had an amazing year and Gary saw fourth rotation snaps.

But that doesn’t change overall thoughts, I don’t fully disagree and believe I’d also saw most extreme version of it only behind Love to some.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Gary was not the third, Fackrell had just had an amazing year and Gary saw fourth rotation snaps.

But that doesn’t change overall thoughts, I don’t fully disagree and believe I’d also saw most extreme version of it only behind Love to some.

Ah I forgot about Fackrell still being here in 2019.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. That first pick sure would not hurt but there should be a very good Off tackle or CB there. There also seems to be a couple of interior O linemen worthy of going at that spot also. I'd be very tempted to take one of those. Going in one of those 3 ways shouldn't affect the rest of your mock though. at least not for me.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. That first pick sure would not hurt but there should be a very good Off tackle or CB there. There also seems to be a couple of interior O linemen worthy of going at that spot also. I'd be very tempted to take one of those. Going in one of those 3 ways shouldn't affect the rest of your mock though. at least not for me.

Only one iOL has a Day1 grade for me and has for a while that is JPJ from Oregon...truthfully other than that Cooper Beebe is closest.

BUT you have plenty of OT prospects that likely suffer from too short of arms that are guards like Jordan Morgan, Graham Barton (I believe is going to measure short), Fautanu and others that are likely Day1 guard considerations.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If there is one thing that the draft guarantees is that Gute will pick someone in the 1st that was on very few mock boards or was a surprise position. There will be a guy there that when their pick comes up, we will all be like "Well... going to be X person" and it won't be. So, your pick definitely fills that bucket of surprise.

For some reason, I just think WR might be that shocker position if a guy falls. Yes they are rolling with Doubs, Reed, Watson, Wicks and Melton, but if they want 6, have concerns on Watson's availability and maybe not 100% convinced on Melton, could they expend draft capital way earlier than anyone expects?

Granted, part of me wants this because I know the drama/irony that would rain down on social media with people thinking or wanting defense and then this would be the year they go WR.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is one thing that the draft guarantees is that Gute will pick someone in the 1st that was on very few mock boards or was a surprise position. There will be a guy there that when their pick comes up, we will all be like "Well... going to be X person" and it won't be. So, your pick definitely fills that bucket of surprise.

For some reason, I just think WR might be that shocker position if a guy falls. Yes they are rolling with Doubs, Reed, Watson, Wicks and Melton, but if they want 6, have concerns on Watson's availability and maybe not 100% convinced on Melton, could they expend draft capital way earlier than anyone expects?

Granted, part of me wants this because I know the drama/irony that would rain down on social media with people thinking or wanting defense and then this would be the year they go WR.

They have six...funny how fast folks are putting Melton above Heath.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have six...funny how fast folks are putting Melton above Heath.

You Captain Wimm'd me. :). Change to 'If they aren't convinced on Health'. My overall point (like yours) was that Gute does weird things in the draft. WR is one of those consistent 'write it off, they shouldn't or aren't doing that' then draft night he does it and everyone is left scratching their head as to why.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You Captain Wimm'd me. :). Change to 'If they aren't convinced on Health'. My overall point (like yours) was that Gute does weird things in the draft. WR is one of those consistent 'write it off, they shouldn't or aren't doing that' then draft night he does it and everyone is left scratching their head as to why.

Oh I for sure could see a world where Gute has a say top 10 prospect fall to us, and he pick them. I think that could be ANY position not QB

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I for sure could see a world where Gute has a say top 10 prospect fall to us, and he pick them. I think that could be ANY position not QB
I think it would be foolish for a GM to pass on a player he had rated in the top 10 or maybe even top 15 who somehow dropped to him at 25.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be foolish for a GM to pass on a player he had rated in the top 10 or maybe even top 15 who somehow dropped to him at 25.

Mostly agree…if it is a QB this year and Gute picks them I say 100% foolish

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that dissimilar to how we fell into Love. Word is, Gute had started working tne phones to move up and snag either Justin Jefferson or (as a Plan B) Brandon Ayuk, and when Ayuk got scooped up by San Francisco's totally unexpected trade up with Minnesota, his staff quickly pointed out that the #26 spot was still an excellent value for Jordan Love (according to their board).

He evidently started dialing those phones to secure a star wide receiver for his aging superstar quarterback, but when that was totally burned down in a matter of minutes by the unpredictable actions of 2 other teams, there was still an opprtunity to add significant value to his organization.

But, yeah.... hopefully that process doesn't tempt him toward another quarterback this April....

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well well well....only two more predictive mocks from me before the draft are left. Incase it's your first time with me, I do mocks a bit different....it's not just me doing a mock, but I try especially as we get closer to April predict what Gute may actually do. Here's February...

1.25 - The part that sucks is likelihood of a QB still be here that someone might want to come up and grab I think will be low...most of that shuffling is done by 15, 20 at the worst I think this draft given prospects and teams looking one would assume. So a strong trade back due to QB prospect is low....the only other option could be if a WR someone has high on their board manages to slide back and through. I strongly think Gute would trade back if right offer but let's say no suitors.

Gute looks at his board and he has a guy according to the War Room's board checks tons of boxes...a very much physical freak for his positional placement, HIGH RAS, elite level competition, not a crazy older prospect and in a position defenses can never have enough of......he calls in the name and Goodell walks to the mic...

".....Darius Robinson, Missouri." I can see the heads exploding now...keyboards melting....screams recording and played back on youtube and tik tok...Gute again "flips the script" and picks a guy according to his board and script not ours. Yes Safety is of immense need, yes OL stud would be monumental....shoot a LB to finally be a clear stud at that position all are possible...but an edge?!?!?!

Built in the mold of a Karl Brooks and somewhat lesser Van Ness - Robinson is that BIGGER bodied athletic beast along the edge that can reduce inside. The man's measurables outside of weight (only 20 pounds light) are honestly everything you look for in a elite movement level tackle prospect for your OL. 6'5' 286lbs (slender frame could hold more even if needed or asked) with arms stretching 34.75 inches and a wingspan at 84.5.

That wingspan and arm length made essentially everyone not named Patrick Paul at the senior bowl look small. Kid is a freak and his experience with alignment diversity along the outside and inside is that diverse offering and body size that Hefley will need should we see more 4-3 front types. Enagbare is right on the edge body size make up for this new role style possibly, throw in his injury and outside need is there but Gute throws everybody into a whirlwhind with a Gary and LVN type drafting.

2.41 - Kamren Kinchens Miami - S. Due to being a safety in a class with no CLEAR head and shoulders Kyle Hamilton type, it is hard to predict who the first true safety (DeJean could be the best safety drafted...) off the board and when. The perfect world scenario is Gute doesn't push or force the Kinchens pick at 25, and instead is rewarded with him still there at 41. The other option would be if Nubin is on the board. Both have the ability IMO to be that one high type guy, Kinchens is pronounced Nick Collins in my house and yes I understand that level of expectations. I've broken Kinchens elsewhere and will just paste:

- Closing Ability - The first thing that pops to me is this mans downhill or jump ball closing explosion seems quicker than at any other time he closes on the field. It's almost like his body can produce a higher gear when he sees a ballcarrier break through the line or the ball is in the air more so than even if a receiver slips behind a corner and he has over the top help and has to close. Kinchens plays the ball, and does so with an anger almost that I always saw in Nick - until the ball is possessed by the offense, Kinchens 100% feels that ball is his.

-Body for hitting - While he is highly athletic and has excellent speed and acceleration (not elite but very good) none of that comes at a cost of body structure or hitting ability. He unlike say Bullock out of USC is not a pencil thin pool noodle trying to shoulder or ankle tackle everything (I'm exxagerating folks but Bullock is much more slender). At 5'11' 205lbs (Miami site claims 6 foot)

- Fluidity and Flexibility throughout movements - While his long speed isn't quite elite, meaning unlike say stokes who could make up for misstep or delayed reactions with his speed, Kinchens makes up for in his anticipation but also his body control. His hips are fluid and this allows hip to keep exceptional leverage typically when in coverage....his backpedal is IMO the best out of the safeties on this list and it is all of this that gives me that true center field of the future vibe from him.

- Ball hawking can cost him - His aggression and belief he can get the ball costs him at times and his growth in the knowledge and in game ability to know when to go for it and when to go for the receiver instead or just not overcommit will be the biggest hurdle IMO of him being just a starter vs potentially an all pro type safety in a few years.

If you want to see him in at his best IMO check out the film from this years' Texas A&M game...all phases he showed out. Both this year and last year Clemson games he was awesome, and last year's film that got me pumped for him even last year was Georgia Tech and the before mentioned Clemson game. That GTech game of 2022 Kamren scored guys a 96.8 overall PFF grade...but a 77.6 in Run defense, 73.6 Tackling grade and a 96.2 Coverage grade...just ludacris good day. He took over 400 snaps (57.2%) at FS vs 174 box and 117 slot in 2022 and this past year saw him again majority at FS with 379 (59.4%) FS vs 110 box and 113 slot.

2.57 Junior Colson Michigan Linebacker - I just cannot get over how much I like Junior as a prospect...and in a LB cluster of guys like Cooper/Trotter/Wilson Junior is the guy I keep going back feeling like there is still so much untapped there for him ceiling wise. He isn't the best rusher when sent on a blitz, but this man is a tackling beast - who isn't a one trick pony, match him up in coverage and he can hold his own and do it quite well. Even more impressive is how amazing he is once he gets his hands on you - he tackles you. There are many guys Michigan can thank for their dominance of late, but Junior's name better be among them when you speak on it.

Campbell is aging out...Quay needs someone to come in and either wake him up or let him be our second best LB not our best. Either way, Junior checks a TON of boxes for Gute, arguably I bet every box he cares about (age, high level college play, RAS...all of it).

3.88 Christian Jones, Texas OT - lot of guys I like...but here I could see Gute grab a guy that may be unknown to some. Relatively quiet college career when Texas had him at LT, then in 2022 they moved him to RT and something clicked. From 2022 and through this year - PFF claims Jones only gave up 4 sacks in that time and as we all know Texas has faced both those year some elite rushers in matchups. He checks the boxes GB seems to like coming in at 6'5' 318lbs / 34 7/8 arms and 83 7/8 wingspan he has better length than Tom did coming out. Jones has the athleticism and the tenacity I bet to play all but center spots along our front so picking him would be essentially IMO mean between him, walker and Tom the LT, RG and RT would shake out to the best grouping. A guy to many that has been "rising" but he's never been less or more, and those that have watched tape knew they saw a top 100 or so level guy.

3.91 Max Melton, Rutgers CB - I had this to say dating clear back to September and while Rutgers just was down all year, he showed out at the Senior Bowl and showed a lot of what I saw then:

He is traditionally a sticky outside corner, however did fair well in limited slot snaps this year in 2023. I'll say the one thing I love about Melton is he is fearless...he will turn himself into a missile in run support and he will likely sacrifice his own health before letting a play go by him.

4.125 - Javon Foster, Missouri OT - I won't bore you with a ton more...look I love this guy and have since last year. Slightly older prospect but tremendous experience in the SEC with immense success to boot. Size and length and play illustrates he can play anywhere but center for us and honestly I wouldn't be shocked if he is a lot like Tom for us. With Runyan likely gone, Nijman too and Newman proving just not progressing at all...taking a second diverse tackle prospect before the fourth is done is quite Gute-esq in nature.

5.177c - Keith Randolph Jr, Illinois iDL - If you've watched film Randolph is a guy that Illinois predominately used in B Gap or Over Tackle but tossed in some outside Tackle even. That ability to slide around is by far one of his most attractive traits, but to see him in Mobile be one of the most consistent bigguns in 1v1 reps with the OL changed my view some on him and showed me there absolutely is that 2022 level guy in him still. 2022 this cat produced 30 or so pressures depending on data source...and that plummeted to around a dozen in 2023. But I feel like part of that was how they used him and I question if there wasn't somekind of injury. However, whatever it was he showed up in Mobile and balled out. He's a hard one to predict, I could see him there in the sixth or gone in the late fourth...so picking him here is not crazy and too much to pass for a team again trying to give Hefley everything he needs with an offense that isn't crazy in need.

6.203 - Isaac Guerendo, Louisville RB - Here's one I'll let out of the bag I have held close to my chest. I have shared how much I liked Braelen Allen from Wisconsin...but to be fair as I dug into his film, as much as I love the kid I don't see a diverse gamechange potential. I see a guy that plods for yards almost and has a TON of usage on his wheels. Enter the other back from "wisconsin". The Wisconsin transfer, just simply had no avenue to playing time behind Allen so went to serve as the change of pace back with Jawhar Johnson and nearly put up more yards than Johnson. He is a BIG back, but has juice in his legs... 6'1' 225lbs. I love the patience he shows, but also if he sees the chance for yards collapsing he lowers his shoulders and plows.....with immense body control to roll and spin even out of contact at times like the old thundering Lacy (albeit not as bowling ball esq). The bonus with Isaac is low use on the tires despite having been a 6th year Covid guy...in his years at Wisconsin he totaled only 99 rushing attempts and this last year rushed for 810 yards on 132 attempts good for 6.1 YPC...PLUS he produced 10.6 yards per catch on 22 for 234 yards. 11 touchdowns as well. Take - Guerendo not Allen I think will be the "Wisconsin" running back with a longer NFL career. *Also I think we bring Dillon back on a small contract...

6.217c - Andrew Raym, Oklahoma OC - Josh Myers hasn't lit the world unfire....but he hasn't been terrible either. After the 2024 season Green Bay will be facing yet again the quandry of what to do with a center and their expiring rookie contract. Do we do to Myers like we did Linsley and say see ya, thanks but no thanks for the future? I think that chance is high and while a late Day3 pick shouldn't be relied on for the replacement you also don't dislike the idea of taking a cheap swing at something potentially. Senior Bowl prospect who had some of his best reps vs T'Vondre Sweat, not something that should go unnoticed, had glimpses in Mobile as to why many feel the best of Raym's game is well ahead of him. His hands are so quick they can make up for his footwork sometimes not being quick enough off the snap...if his technique can build some without any pressure his rookie year - there might be something there. High level competition type guy who will get his chance in the NFL...why not make it be in GB, hopefully in 2025.

7.246 - Hayden Hatten, Idaho WR - Day3 and Gute takes a late round flyer on a guy that knows one thing - production. 2022 Hatten put up 1,209 yards / 16 TDs on 83 receptions. In 2023 he put up 1,231 yards / 9 TDs on 93 receptions. He averaged over 14 yards per catch in his college career and shined at the Hula bowl this year doing what he just does - put up points. He's got size 6'2' 205lbs and from what interviews I could find and intel I could gather (have a friend whose son plays FCS football and has faced Idaho) he is a guy that is very willing to run block too though. In a position group that doesn't need anything arguably....if nothing worse he is your PS replacement of Toure or DuBose.

7.256c - Marshel Martin, Sacramento State FB/TE/H-Back - I've mentioned him in passing before but this is a small school crush Deguara replacement if Ben Sinnot isn't able to be drafted. Marshel showed in 2022 when Sac State threw the ball more that he can be a versatile weapon out of the backfield, split out or inline... putting up 879 yards receiving on 65 receptions kicking in 12 TDs. I mean folks this young man in his freshman campaign put up 550 yards / 39 receptions / 7 TDs. His senior year his stat lines dropped but the team had a lot more spread it scheme and no one on the roster had more than 693 yards...so Marshel's 315 yards (8.8 average) was still very strong for a guy that was sent out in routes far less. A competent, compact physic blocker - who has amassed nearly 2,400 receiving yards and 27 TDs has every bit of a chance to be that small school replacement for Deguara departing.

I love this mock draft! Picking defense for the top 3 picks though would make some people lose it.

I agree that edge rusher is still a need. Enagbare is hurt, Smith is over 30 and and the down side of his career, Nan Ness is a question mark and Gary can't seem to break out of the good category to make it to elite level.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brings up another question. Are there guys you just pretty much ignore in your draft prep because you either don't need them or there is virtually no chance in them being there when you pick. I mean is Gute and his staff doing much research on Marvin Harrison Jr. "Just in case" he falls? Or would that be a case of "who cares, if he falls to I'm taking him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're asking me specifically...yes and no. I really try to hit hard guys most would say are in their general top 100, but I for sure spend far less time digging deep into groups depending. I love wide receiver film study so WRs even if LOW on our need or desires I still look at them. But like this year QB is not one I studied crazy deep but enough to at least separate them in my mind if asked.

I don't think personally Gute has just one isolated board...he may have a board persay, but I would bet there are sub boads or columns based on position group and what scout in his team specializes in that position and their thoughts and such. Truthfully I don't think like pundits and those of us that have fun with do teams fully build a board with specific rankings I think grading is more their vein of thoughts.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're asking me specifically...yes and no. I really try to hit hard guys most would say are in their general top 100, but I for sure spend far less time digging deep into groups depending. I love wide receiver film study so WRs even if LOW on our need or desires I still look at them. But like this year QB is not one I studied crazy deep but enough to at least separate them in my mind if asked.

I don't think personally Gute has just one isolated board...he may have a board persay, but I would bet there are sub boads or columns based on position group and what scout in his team specializes in that position and their thoughts and such. Truthfully I don't think like pundits and those of us that have fun with do teams fully build a board with specific rankings I think grading is more their vein of thoughts.
I was speaking to everyone but I do appreciate your draft info. I agree with you. Its likely not a list from 1 to whatever but a list of tiers with individuals perhaps listed in order of preference in some way.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean is Gute and his staff doing much research on Marvin Harrison Jr. "Just in case" he falls? Or would that be a case of "who cares, if he falls to I'm taking him.
Not likely. The Packers knew very little about Rodgers whe he fell to them, until about the 15th pick. At that point, Reggie McKenzie looked at the remaining teams ahead of the Packers and realized that none of them needed QB - and unless someone traded up, he felt there was a very good chance that Rodgers would be there for us.

Then they started making some calls. All they knew about Rodgers was his combo information, and anecdotes from scouts who'd seen him play. I don't think we scouted Rodgers specifically his entire draft year, and nobody from Green Bay had even spoken to him prior to calling his name.

Same thing happened with Dan Marino in 83, "The Year of The Quarterback". He was the first overall pick in the USFL, and people expected him to go very high in the NFL, too - perhaps Top 5. However, Marino and his teammates had a well-earned reputation for hard partying, and somehow rumors got out that this meant he was a drug user. There was never, ever any evidence of that or even actual accusation; the man just had a little Paul Hornung in him. But on draft day, he slid all the way to 27 - the 6th quarterback picked. The poor guy was just devastated; people said he looked physically ill. The Jets had indicated that if he were still on the board at 24, they'd take him, but when they passed him up he finally shouted out loud, "who the hell is Ken O'Brien?"

Miami had not scouted him at all, and not a single person from the Dolphins had ever spoken to him. Shula just went with his gut and drafted him based on all the hype, and it wored out well for everyone.

But getting back to your Harrison reference.... I doubt we've scouted him, but if we were badly in need of WR, we probably would have - even though we'd have known there was zero chance he'd slip to #25. Because if a "Marino" or a "Rodgers" had happened to him, and he slipped down to, say, 12 or 15.... we might have been interesting in making a trade. It's likely that a number of teams drafting in the middle of the round have probably put together a package on him, just in case.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not likely. The Packers knew very little about Rodgers whe he fell to them, until about the 15th pick. At that point, Reggie McKenzie looked at the remaining teams ahead of the Packers and realized that none of them needed QB - and unless someone traded up, he felt there was a very good chance that Rodgers would be there for us.

Then they started making some calls. All they knew about Rodgers was his combo information, and anecdotes from scouts who'd seen him play. I don't think we scouted Rodgers specifically his entire draft year, and nobody from Green Bay had even spoken to him prior to calling his name.

Same thing happened with Dan Marino in 83, "The Year of The Quarterback". He was the first overall pick in the USFL, and people expected him to go very high in the NFL, too - perhaps Top 5. However, Marino and his teammates had a well-earned reputation for hard partying, and somehow rumors got out that this meant he was a drug user. There was never, ever any evidence of that or even actual accusation; the man just had a little Paul Hornung in him. But on draft day, he slid all the way to 27 - the 6th quarterback picked. The poor guy was just devastated; people said he looked physically ill. The Jets had indicated that if he were still on the board at 24, they'd take him, but when they passed him up he finally shouted out loud, "who the hell is Ken O'Brien?"

Miami had not scouted him at all, and not a single person from the Dolphins had ever spoken to him. Shula just went with his gut and drafted him based on all the hype, and it wored out well for everyone.

But getting back to your Harrison reference.... I doubt we've scouted him, but if we were badly in need of WR, we probably would have - even though we'd have known there was zero chance he'd slip to #25. Because if a "Marino" or a "Rodgers" had happened to him, and he slipped down to, say, 12 or 15.... we might have been interesting in making a trade. It's likely that a number of teams drafting in the middle of the round have probably put together a package on him, just in case.

Hang on…you had to mistype that. You said they knew very little about Aaron until about the fifteenth pick? This simply is false.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Brings up another question. Are there guys you just pretty much ignore in your draft prep because you either don't need them or there is virtually no chance in them being there when you pick. I mean is Gute and his staff doing much research on Marvin Harrison Jr. "Just in case" he falls? Or would that be a case of "who cares, if he falls to I'm taking him.

I don’t think any team ignores any prospect that’s regarded as draftable.

Brandian Ross (Packers scout) was on with Kurt Benkert talking about their reports they did on QB’s that they knew they’d never be able to draft.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I love a lot of this. Believe it or not what I'm confused about is drafting a Linebacker if we're switching to a 4-3. Ideally Quay is #1 and Campbell is #2 on the depth chart with McDuffie #3.

Also Tyni, picking your brain here, if we run a standard 4-3 with 2 of the EDGE rushers being OLB then who do you see is the 'coverage' OLB, ya know the guys that goes with the back or TE?

If we're going to a 4-3 that we ran when Hawk and Barnett were here where all 3 LB are level 2 then I get Coulson or any other Linebacker, and maybe even a 2nd for depth.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love a lot of this. Believe it or not what I'm confused about is drafting a Linebacker if we're switching to a 4-3. Ideally Quay is #1 and Campbell is #2 on the depth chart with McDuffie #3.

Also Tyni, picking your brain here, if we run a standard 4-3 with 2 of the EDGE rushers being OLB then who do you see is the 'coverage' OLB, ya know the guys that goes with the back or TE?

If we're going to a 4-3 that we ran when Hawk and Barnett were here where all 3 LB are level 2 then I get Coulson or any other Linebacker, and maybe even a 2nd for depth.

DeVondre cannot do what he once did and honestly is aging out...Quay has failed to be everything his physical traits say he should and I personally believe he is not best suited to be the MLB in a 4-3. If DeVondre isn't gone before this year, this is most definitely his final year and resetting that room pays big dividends as I don't think Gute (I agree) and staff want McDuffie to be a high snapcount guy.

I believe Quay can for sure cover, IMO he's far better than Devondre in that respect.

Wraith09

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are probably going to have a need for more defensive backs because of free agency, but I think defense is an ineffective use of first round capital. They have four first round players in the front seven if you count Gary, Smith and Van Ness as linebackers. If they run a 4-3 front, those players are D-ends not linebackers. Alexander and Stokes are the first rounders in the secondary. That's a lot of bang on defense without a great return. I wish the Packers would publicly state why they don't draft offensive skill players in the first round. I think there will be receivers at the 25th pick and the Packers should draft one of them or draft an offensive lineman. Boosting the depth and youth in the offensive backfield will make the offense more powerful. I would also like to see the Packers draft two more young tight ends.

Latest posts