A Case for Chop Robinson

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now to be fair, the most realistic trade chart to value is the Rich Hill one, because he's constantly reviewing actual trades and updating. Now of course you have QB driven trades which in all reality is a world all alone. But Rich's have always seemed to be fair closer to reality than many.
Thanks; yeah... that's the reason I like it so much (for those who don't know, the Drafttek chart I linked is the Rich Hill chart). The values are recalculated when major transactions are completed (sometimes every few days), and (unlike the algorithms used in the Jimmy Johnson chart) it's designed to factor in the internal scoring systems used by individual teams, to the extent that it's able to. So in a sense, it's adaptive not only to changing real-time circumstances, but also to variables like the way individual teams themselves utilize the chart.

So really, the Rich Hill model itself already factors in Green Bay's internal valuation model. Sticking to your own way is all well and good, but when making a deal with another team, you still have to take into consideration their way of calculating vaklue, which the Rich Hill chart is designed to do (to a limited extent).

I just thought of something.... if the chart factors in the patterns of individual teams and combines them to make a general model, I wonder if it can be refined on a case by case basis - for example, if Green Bay is thinking of a trade with Seattle, could the algorithms be tweaked to consider that Team A calculates values a certain way, whereas Team B weights values a different way, so what is the most likely way the two teams would find common ground?

Probably way too complicated.

I wonder what Vince Lombardi would have thought about all this crap...

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like we are getting away with our interior line problems. If we hold on to the pick; someone should be there and then maybe the linebacker next. Then the RB or corner and another lineman. If someone else drops to us...ok. But it seems like we will get some quality players if we hold pat. Just my opinion.
You're correct. They will get quality players with those first five picks. I'm not sure I'd go iOL at #25, but it depends on who is available. The greater need, IMO, is CB, and from what it looks like, they'd need to move up. They could still add some corner help/depth in FA. But there are some v good CBs available, and it's certainly an area of need.

The Packers have an historically bad track record at selecting DBs. Doesn't mean they shouldn't do it.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks; yeah... that's the reason I like it so much (for those who don't know, the Drafttek chart I linked is the Rich Hill chart). The values are recalculated when major transactions are completed (sometimes every few days), and (unlike the algorithms used in the Jimmy Johnson chart) it's designed to factor in the internal scoring systems used by individual teams, to the extent that it's able to. So in a sense, it's adaptive not only to changing real-time circumstances, but also to variables like the way individual teams themselves utilize the chart.

So really, the Rich Hill model itself already factors in Green Bay's internal valuation model. Sticking to your own way is all well and good, but when making a deal with another team, you still have to take into consideration their way of calculating vaklue, which the Rich Hill chart is designed to do (to a limited extent).

I just thought of something.... if the chart factors in the patterns of individual teams and combines them to make a general model, I wonder if it can be refined on a case by case basis - for example, if Green Bay is thinking of a trade with Seattle, could the algorithms be tweaked to consider that Team A calculates values a certain way, whereas Team B weights values a different way, so what is the most likely way the two teams would find common ground?

Probably way too complicated.

I wonder what Vince Lombardi would have thought about all this crap...
I like Hill's chart. Imo, far superior to Johnson's pile of hot garbage. Btw, I'm not president of Johnson's fan club.