2024 Draft-- Media Stuff

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Saw that Jeremiah dropped his first mock and didn't know where to post about it so I figured I would make a thread.

He has the Packers taking OL Graham Barton (Duke) at Pick 25:

Barton meets the Packers’ criteria for offensive linemen in terms of intelligence and versatility. He could play all five spots up front.
I know nothing about basically everyone in this class at this point, but I like the idea behind the projection.

Also, Zierlein's hasn't officially dropped yet, but a lot of it is clearly housed on nfl.com already because he can click on the names in the mock and open the profiles. He gives Barton a 6.43 Grade, which would have been tied for his 19th highest grade in last year's class.

Here is LZ's overview:

Reviewing Barton’s tape is a pleasurable experience in offensive line evaluation, as his tenacity and know-how are on full display throughout. Though he played at a high level at left tackle, center will likely be his NFL home. Barton is an explosive drive blocker with the body control and leg drive to keep opponents centered and finish the job. His hands are sudden, accurate and strong in both phases, but a lack of length will create occasional challenges on the next level. His fluidity creates an advantage as a second-level climber, and he’s highly capable in the screen game. Barton’s technique, toughness and athleticism are exactly what teams will be looking for from an early starter with Pro Bowl potential.

Some other notes from the mock:

-Players commonly mocked to GB so far include Troy Fautanu, OL, UW (16th to the Seahawks) and Cooper Dejean, DB, IA (27th to the Cardinals).

-He mocks 4 QB's in the first round: Williams (1), Maye (2), Daniels (3), and Nix (4), but no Penix or McCarthy.

-He mocks 5 pass catchers before GB's selection: Harrison (4), Odunze (5), Nabers (6), Bowers (15), Thomas (21)-- the more the better given the Packers' strength at the positions.

-He mocks 5 DL/ED before GB's selection: Turner (8), Verse (9), Murphy (11), Latu (19), and Robinson (23)-- again, positions where the Packers don't have much room to add.

-On the less positive end of things, a whopping EIGHT OL are mocked off the board in the top 24: Alt (7), Fuaga (10), Fashanu (13), Fautanu (16), Latham (18), Mims (20), Guyton (22), and Morgan (24).

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So most of the top DBs would be available here. (Also the best kicker ;)) I think the feelings about the DB room will be dependent on how Stokes is doing and how active they are at safety in FA. Those two will move the priorities up or down.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Passed on Cooper DeJean and Kool-Aid to take Barton. These 3 would all be good picks, but I would go with Cooper. A position of need and may be rated higher than Barton. There should be very good OG available in the 2nd that will help our OL but impact DB might be tougher to find.

EDIT
Reread and saw he was projecting Barton at OC. I think that's an important position to upgrade so now I have to rethink this.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I strongly dislike passing on DeJean if it played out this way. I do love Barton from a versatile standpoint tho. He’s a higher level Tom if he is what many think he is.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw that Jeremiah dropped his first mock and didn't know where to post about it so I figured I would make a thread.

He has the Packers taking OL Graham Barton (Duke) at Pick 25:

Barton meets the Packers’ criteria for offensive linemen in terms of intelligence and versatility. He could play all five spots up front.
I know nothing about basically everyone in this class at this point, but I like the idea behind the projection.

Also, Zierlein's hasn't officially dropped yet, but a lot of it is clearly housed on nfl.com already because he can click on the names in the mock and open the profiles. He gives Barton a 6.43 Grade, which would have been tied for his 19th highest grade in last year's class.

Here is LZ's overview:

Reviewing Barton’s tape is a pleasurable experience in offensive line evaluation, as his tenacity and know-how are on full display throughout. Though he played at a high level at left tackle, center will likely be his NFL home. Barton is an explosive drive blocker with the body control and leg drive to keep opponents centered and finish the job. His hands are sudden, accurate and strong in both phases, but a lack of length will create occasional challenges on the next level. His fluidity creates an advantage as a second-level climber, and he’s highly capable in the screen game. Barton’s technique, toughness and athleticism are exactly what teams will be looking for from an early starter with Pro Bowl potential.

Some other notes from the mock:

-Players commonly mocked to GB so far include Troy Fautanu, OL, UW (16th to the Seahawks) and Cooper Dejean, DB, IA (27th to the Cardinals).

-He mocks 4 QB's in the first round: Williams (1), Maye (2), Daniels (3), and Nix (4), but no Penix or McCarthy.

-He mocks 5 pass catchers before GB's selection: Harrison (4), Odunze (5), Nabers (6), Bowers (15), Thomas (21)-- the more the better given the Packers' strength at the positions.

-He mocks 5 DL/ED before GB's selection: Turner (8), Verse (9), Murphy (11), Latu (19), and Robinson (23)-- again, positions where the Packers don't have much room to add.

-On the less positive end of things, a whopping EIGHT OL are mocked off the board in the top 24: Alt (7), Fuaga (10), Fashanu (13), Fautanu (16), Latham (18), Mims (20), Guyton (22), and Morgan (24).
Barton is a bulldozer. He's not the best pass blocker so he'll probably kick inside, but the kid can play. Him and Latham are the two lineman I love to watch run block. Big nasty guys. I'd be ok with this pick.

Really think we need a thumper at ILB somehow, but I don't know much about the ILB class as of right now. Clearly we need safety help too and I like this class.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barton is a bulldozer. He's not the best pass blocker so he'll probably kick inside, but the kid can play. Him and Latham are the two lineman I love to watch run block. Big nasty guys. I'd be ok with this pick.

Really think we need a thumper at ILB somehow, but I don't know much about the ILB class as of right now. Clearly we need safety help too and I like this class.
Outside of injury Barton to many scouts is even a center more than a guard. He is very much a Packer type pick though as we often will build our interior with college tackles.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Your correct, need help at every level of D..Campbell needs to be replaced, safety also needs a guy WILLING to tackle and we need a pass rusher. On Offense IOL and RB. I think we may have to live with starting tackles for another year. So first 3 picks go best front 7 guy (pass rush or ILB) Safety..and IOL Then RB and maybe tackle late. Side note seemed like Love play really drop when Tom went out.

Reaction score
If I’m Gutey I’m trying to peel a good player off another Roster. A Xavier McKinney type player on a 4X$50mil area deal. Then I’d go out and draft a later Day2 Safety in the mold of Miami’s James Williams…
Someone who brings a more violent feel to the position. The only way I’m keeping Savage is if he takes a paycut on a lower risk signing with an earlier contract out. He’s not physical enough for me and for what he made on his 5th year I’d take my chances elsewhere.

Last edited:

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just did a mock this morning. I wanted to, but couldn’t pass up on Coleman in the second.

Attachments

• IMG_5750.jpeg
    IMG_5750.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Just did a mock this morning. I wanted to, but couldn’t pass up on Coleman in the second.
I similarly have had a hard time passing up on certain players. Such as if JerZhan Newton is sniffing our selection. We’d have to find roster room at the bottom of DL position.

Another selection is be all over is Malachi Corley. He’s very stout after getting the ball in his hands. I think he might play a smidge heavier than his listed 210lb. Also Austin Reed missed him on a bunch of ankle throws etc. If Corley had an upgrade at QB he’d be a formidable receiver a smidge below Deebo

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can easily pass Coleman, I don't see elite separation or route running, just a physical specimen...not too mention our WR room is loaded.

Beebe as I've said numerous times, if he is drafted in the third I will go on record saying he would be the steal of the draft.

Reaction score
I can easily pass Coleman, I don't see elite separation or route running, just a physical specimen...not too mention our WR room is loaded.

Beebe as I've said numerous times, if he is drafted in the third I will go on record saying he would be the steal of the draft.
Beebe would have to spit on a judges table and record a 2.63 RAS to get to our #88 area selection.
Now I suppose he could skip the spitting part and we could similarly double move backwards from #58 back to #65 and he’s there (technically a 3rd Rounder) but it’ll still take an inadvertent spitting on someone and the Combine announcers replaying it on camera slow mo :eek:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I similarly have had a hard time passing up on certain players. Such as if JerZhan Newton is sniffing our selection. We’d have to find roster room at the bottom of DL position.

Another selection is be all over is Malachi Corley. He’s very stout after getting the ball in his hands. I think he might play a smidge heavier than his listed 210lb. Also Austin Reed missed him on a bunch of ankle throws etc. If Corley had an upgrade at QB he’d be a formidable receiver a smidge below Deebo
If Newton is available at 25, I'd take him and make room for him. If he is available and we dont choose him, I've totally misread this situation.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I've heard this so many times that I'm almost rooting for the Vikings to pick him and then see him flame out for double the fun! Lol

Reaction score
If Newton is available at 25, I'd take him and make room for him. If he is available and we dont choose him, I've totally misread this situation.
Oh we’d have to make room for him. Even his Jersey can’t contain him properly!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard this so many times that I'm almost rooting for the Vikings to pick him and then see him flame out for double the fun! Lol

LOL so long as he doesn't flame out as a Packer I'll gladly take that crow and put sauce on it! :)

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I think the offensive line needs an enforcer... someone nasty who can drive people.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Daniel Jeremiah's First Top 50 List: https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

If you don't already know, Jeremiah always says that his mock draft is based on what he hears and his rankings are based on what he sees.

Interesting notes:

Positional Breakdown: The way he sees it, the top of this draft is really strong at WR, CB, and OL. I think the latter two suit the Packers needs pretty well.

-QB: 5
-RB: 0
-TE: 2
-WR: 11
-OT: 8
-iOL: 3
-DL: 4
-ED: 6
-LB: 3
-CB: 7
-SAF: 0

Surprises: The only names that stand out to me in this regard are both corners: Cooper DeJean @ 29 and Nate Wiggins @ 30. I think the main reason that this is surprising is that PFF loves both players and they tend to dictate a lot of the early discourse around the draft (especially since their mock simulator became so popular).

Intriguing: Some guys that I have only a passing familiarity with but sound like they would fit GB's needs and draft range: Ennis Rakestraw Jr (CB), Zach Frazier (iOL), Junior Colson (LB).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniel Jeremiah's First Top 50 List: https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

If you don't already know, Jeremiah always says that his mock draft is based on what he hears and his rankings are based on what he sees.

Interesting notes:

Positional Breakdown: The way he sees it, the top of this draft is really strong at WR, CB, and OL. I think the latter two suit the Packers needs pretty well.

Surprises: The only names that stand out to me in this regard are both corners: Cooper DeJean @ 29 and Nate Wiggins @ 30. I think the main reason that this is surprising is that PFF loves both players and they tend to dictate a lot of the early discourse around the draft (especially since their mock simulator became so popular).

Intriguing: Some guys that I have only a passing familiarity with but sound like they would fit GB's needs and draft range: Ennis Rakestraw Jr (CB), Zach Frazier (iOL), Junior Colson (LB).

Wiggins surprises me the most, but Cooper makes sense. He is not an elite corner at the next level and I truly think many see elite safety.

Ennis is a beast! A lot of the Missouri prospects are awesome in their own right...I'd take Ennis's running mate Day2 Krys Abrams Draine

Junior Colson is under ranked across the board IMO along with Cooper Beebe...vastly too many are underrating them.

Reaction score

Interesting notes:

That happens to me also. The last few years I’ve used the interactive mocks pretty extensively. I’m purposely taking for gospel their consensus ranking (even though other variables that affect rankings are at play) that’s not what’s important today. The Combine alone can take a guy and leap frog him rounds etc. so it’s more to evaluate positional strengths at various draft areas and practice mentally competing

A couple of current notes, the positions of WR and CB are not only thick at the top, but they are deep throughout. Other positions such as RB are thin at the top in 2024.
iLB and DL is thick in that 3rd-4th Rounds. While we don’t necessarily NEED a DL, I have a suspicion a 3rd round grade that’s fits our team will be leaning back of Rd4 and quite possibly well into rd5

There’s a really nice grouping at LB between that #85 to #125 range, where we have 3 selections. I’m not afraid to go DL or LB, but there’s plenty to choose from in Rd 4 if we’re patient. Whenever I make the mistake of hitting either position too early…. Then I have to pass on a really good one in Rd4, which hurts. I’m obviously not going to take 2 DL etc. Basically my lesson has been, don’t overspend on those two positions or wait until we see the whites of their eyes on us (let them come to us or fall into our lap at value)

Last edited:
Reaction score
The other thing I was going to say is what’s great about thick at WR is other teams will have a WR frenzy. Meanwhile we’ll be plucking the positions of rarity. Kinda like when we don’t need a QB and years when we were picking 15 overall. You ideally want 14 QB’s to go before our pick (for dramatic purposes)

PS. I also counted consensus positions by round. QB was actually pretty thick throughout this year. My hope is opponent focus will lean towards QB and WR. Two of the positions I consider nearly zero need.
I have us needing
2 Safeties
2 OL
1-2 CB’s
1-2 RB’s
1 Edge

Not opposed to TE, DL, WR, QB or K if the perfect opportunity arises, such as a top 125 crossing Rd5-Rd7

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the few men I know that have been in scouting departments and one in a war room all say, combine RARELY moves a player for the scouts. Maybe ten spots or so or causes you to notice but these drastic two or three round swings just from combine, nope does not exist in their world.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other thing I was going to say is what’s great about thick at WR is other teams will have a WR frenzy. Meanwhile we’ll be plucking the positions of rarity. Kinda like when we don’t need a QB and years when we were picking 15 overall. You ideally want 14 QB’s to go before our pick (for dramatic purposes)

PS. I also counted consensus positions by round. QB was actually pretty thick throughout this year. My hope is opponent focus will lean towards QB and WR. Two of the positions I consider nearly zero need.
I have us needing
2 Safeties
2 OL
1-2 CB’s
1-2 RB’s
1 Edge

Not opposed to TE, DL, WR, QB or K if the perfect opportunity arises, such as a top 125 crossing Rd5-Rd7
I would definitely add ILB to that list of needs. IMO. My list in the draft is 1-S 1-OL 1-ILB 1-RB 1-CB 1-Edge 1-DL + 1-FA impact player.

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I strongly dislike passing on DeJean if it played out this way.
So in my scouting so far, I've concluded that Wiggins would be my top CB, you may not agree with that, but I'm curious (because I've seen both), if you have DeJean and Wiggins (or throw in Arnold/Kool-Aid) both available at 25, which do you take? Also, are you considering DeJean a CB or S, or nickel/hybrid where he does a bit of both.

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I just got done listening to Gute's media session. When he talked about the DB's specifically he mentioned they were going to bring some guys in (obviously) but that he's realized they also need to have some serious depth there for injuries thoughout the year. I'm going to interpret this as we may see as many as 4 DB's in the draft. I think we're going to get DB's early and often in this draft. I could see 3 in the top 5 picks and possibly one more in the 7th or something.

Members online

Latest posts