2024 Draft-- Media Stuff

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Truthfully not opposed to any of these, but I still believe Mims and Guyton are not Packers....but I'd LOVE it if we bucked the trends and did nab one. I think Mims will be long gone though, Guyton may be there.

Truthfully the Raider trade (likely up for Penix) would be awesome as Gute could trade back into the late first if he wanted and net picks back though still.

I tend to agree with you-- I will believe it when I see it with any of these jumbo-sized OL. Latham would be sick. I'm totally down with Mims. I'm OK with Guyton, though there's noise out there that maybe his attitude/persona could be an issue.

I'm similar with DeJean. I don't think he's a corner for GB, but if they want him as a SAF/Slot, that's just fine by me. But I'll believe it when I see it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you-- I will believe it when I see it with any of these jumbo-sized OL. Latham would be sick. I'm totally down with Mims. I'm OK with Guyton, though there's noise out there that maybe his attitude/persona could be an issue.

I'm similar with DeJean. I don't think he's a corner for GB, but if they want him as a SAF/Slot, that's just fine by me. But I'll believe it when I see it.

I have a bet with a friend that Latham comes off the board first of the Tackles.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see us taking Mims in the first, and I think Gute brought him here fora Top 30 just as a smokescreen. Which he admitted earlier this week he sometimes uses Top 30 visits for. If someone else takes Mims because they think we're looking at him, DeJean maybe drops down one more spot.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see us taking Mims in the first, and I think Gute brought him here fora Top 30 just as a smokescreen. Which he admitted earlier this week he sometimes uses Top 30 visits for. If someone else takes Mims because they think we're looking at him, DeJean maybe drops down one more spot.

I think he and Guyton were brought in just to see close up if bucking our normal trends and tendencies which have worked VERY well in GB should be ignored for either of them. Gute is not the type to waste visits - just not even close to the style of guy he seems to be.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he and Guyton were brought in just to see close up if bucking our normal trends and tendencies which have worked VERY well in GB should be ignored for either of them. Gute is not the type to waste visits - just not even close to the style of guy he seems to be.
That's a possibiliy, too. But then (to make it even more complicated) Gute was asked a couple of times in the last week or so whether Green Bay would consider breaking with their long-standing pattern for drafting OL, and he said that Ted Thompson developed a model for picking OL that has served thne team very well for almost 20 years and theyhave never seen a compelling reason to depart from that.

Unless, of course, that was smoke.... :confused:

A man can drive himself bonkers in a very short time trying to decipher Gute's tea leaves.

And for that matter, his remarks about the Top 30 visits can just as easily been deception, as well.

The guy probably belongs in the CIA.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a possibiliy, too. But then (to make it even more complicated) Gute was asked a couple of times in the last week or so whether Green Bay would consider breaking with their long-standing pattern for drafting OL, and he said that Ted Thompson developed a model for picking OL that has served thne team very well for almost 20 years and theyhave never seen a compelling reason to depart from that.

A man can drive himself bonkers in a very short time trying to decipher Gute's tea leaves.

And for that matter, his remarks about the Top 30 visits can just as easily been deception, as well.

I see that as confirmation. If I have a prospect that doesn't fit our norms either here or there, but just freaking pops, I'm going to get them in house for a visit...if I'm going to break off course of a trend which has worked well I better be real sure.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ is going to be overdrafted for who he is, but the progress in his technique and vision over the last year, project that gamble could pay off in a massive way. I predict he is a Viking, Saint or Raider by the end of the night.
I picked him for the Vikings and they will stay pat after not having enough to trade up to draft Maye.
And speaking of which, did you see how small he looked (Maye) standing next to Cam Newton?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may well be right, yet he only used 28 of his 30 this year. So aparently he felt he had at least a couple to spare.

But of course, actually brining players in for a visit is probably about more than just using a slot. There's the time and resources spent on hosting the kid.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may well be right, yet he only used 28 of his 30 this year. So aparently he felt he had at least a couple to spare.

But of course, actually brining players in for a visit is probably about more than just using a slot. There's the time and resources spent on hosting the kid.

No they use them all, not all make public statements or releases. The contact I have has never confirmed we did less than 30 visits.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For most of you the draft starts tonight with the Packers 1st pick. I will have some interest earlier than that. JJ McCarthy played at Nazareth Academy his first 3 years in H.S. His senior year Illinois Covid rules had a shortened season and no playoffs so he went to Florida and played at IMG. I ran the clock and scoreboard for every home game he played those 1st 3 years. Best seat in the house, up in the press box at the 50 yard line. I personally interacted with him only once and came away thinking he was a levelheaded, down to earth young man. When the football players who wrestled for me talked about him there was no -he was a prima donna or he thinks he's too good for us. On the contrary I heard - good friend, team player, hard worker. I will enjoy watching this fine young man hear his name called tonight!
Its cool to have some sort of connection with a player. Kinda sucks that he went to the vikings then.

Closest I ever came to knowing a professional athlete was when a friend of my brother was drafted by the Dodgers back in the late 70s. He played in the minors for a few years until injury and desert fever ended his playing career. He was still coaching in the majors as recently as 5 years ago if I recall correctly.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Closest I ever came to knowing a professional athlete
My story is I hung with around with a few jocks in college. Played pick-up basketball games with and against guys who played for their Central American national and Olympic squads. IIRC one dude even got drafted to the NBA. Only teams where I was one of the shortest players on the court. Not too shabby for one of the guys in the band.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our school also has Julian Love in the NFL. I was on the freshman staff his freshman year. We thought it would help get more freshman out for wrestling. He was another great, humble, hardworking kid. Currently Gabe Kaminsky is a 4 star recruit. He finished 2nd in the State at 220 both his freshman and sophomore years. Both were 1 pt. losses. He did not wrestle last year. We are hoping he comes back out this year and gets that State Title at HWT. Obviously, I know him the best after coaching him for 2 years in wrestling. Talented kid who works hard and that the other guys look up to in both football and wrestling.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Dantes identification of these O-lineman tendencies are for real. He must be channeling his inner Ted Thompson. Listen to the man.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did. After reading that I took Mims and Guyton out and added Morgan (rd. 2) in the Amish contest. Did you listen to him Pike?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kept with Guyton and wasn't bumping him from the list because of height. I'm not sure height is a direct factor - corellation is not causation. That is, the taller you are the more difficult it is to change direction. Momentum, mass, leverage, and such. I think the packers value lineman with fast 3 cones. It is easier for a shorter player to run a faster 3 cone. Therefore the Packers tended to draft OTs that were 6'5" and not 6'9".

The difference with Guyton is that he still had a 3-cone at 7.5 sec which is better than 83% of other OTs. Elite! And he did that at 6'7.6". Therefore I thought he could be a Packer target. Looks like I was wrong.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference with Guyton is that he still had a 3-cone at 7.5 sec which is better than 83% of other OTs. Elite! And he did that at 6'7.6". Therefore I thought he could be a Packer target. Looks like I was wrong.
Maybe, but you never know. Could be that if Morgan went #23 or 24, Guyton was our choice. For all we know, it was a fairly close call.

Members online

Latest posts