Merged: Nelson signed, was reportedly asking for $10M a year

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point wasn't that you should always keep veterans and not count on developing players, my point was that there doesn't seem to be a good reason to let Nelson walk. People are only looking at this in a vacuum. The inherent assumption in NOT signing Nelson is that you'll sign Cobb. Well, let's say Cobb gets $7m/yr. Ok, now Adams HAS to work out because Cobb is only a slot receiver (albeait a VERY good one). If you sign Nelson though, he's a very good outside receiver AND a very good slot receiver. With Nelson, you could let Adams play outside and move Nelson to the slot or, if Adams takes time to develop (likely), then Nelson stays outside and Boykin moves to the slot. In either scenario you're paying a receiver quite a bit more than they're currently making. However, in signing Nelson you're getting a more versatile receiver than Cobb (note that I said receiver, obviously Cobb is more versatile overall than Nelson).

There's always a good reason to let players walk: it's called the salary cap. I don't mean to be a ***** but I feel obligated to point out that it seems silly to tell others they're "looking at this in a vacuum" while ignoring the impact of an 8-10 million dollar contract on the team's flexibility going forward.

You make a great point about Nelson's versatility relative to Cobb, though. If we opt to pay Jordy like a top ten receiver, his value to the Packers is as a flanker that forces safety help over the top. I imagine we would be more cautious about lining him up in the slot, where he's at greater risk to get hammered.

FWIW, I don't have a strong opinion on resigning Nelson. But I'm on board with Green Bay's draft and develop model in conjunction with the front office's reluctance to sign aging players to large deals. The Packers will be cautious and I think Nelson understands that the Packers tend to be frugal. I hope they can reach an agreement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Ian Rapoport the deal is for four years and $39 million.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure I understand the details correctly but if this is an extension Nelson should be under contract for five more years, getting paid $42.5 million ($8.5M average) over the course of the deal.

That would be a nice deal for the Packers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As expected - at least as expected by some of us - Nelson has agreed to an extension according to Ian Rapoport. If the 4 years and $39M is correct, he got close to $10M.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

As expected - at least as expected by some of us - Nelson has agreed to an extension according to Ian Rapoport. If the 4 years and $39M is correct, he got close to $10M.

Not sure, but if Nelson signed an extension the total length of the contract should be five years and pay him $42.5 million ($8.5M average).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's always a good reason to let players walk: it's called the salary cap. I don't mean to be a ***** but I feel obligated to point out that it seems silly to tell others they're "looking at this in a vacuum" while ignoring the impact of an 8-10 million dollar contract on the team's flexibility going forward.

You make a great point about Nelson's versatility relative to Cobb, though. If we opt to pay Jordy like a top ten receiver, his value to the Packers is as a flanker that forces safety help over the top. I imagine we would be more cautious about lining him up in the slot, where he's at greater risk to get hammered.

FWIW, I don't have a strong opinion on resigning Nelson. But I'm on board with Green Bay's draft and develop model in conjunction with the front office's reluctance to sign aging players to large deals. The Packers will be cautious and I think Nelson understands that the Packers tend to be frugal. I hope they can reach an agreement.

I'm not ignoring the salary cap impact of signing Nelson. The Packers will at least sign Cobb or Nelson, so the real question is if Nelson is worth the extra 2-3 million per year more he would cost relative top Cobb. So it's not a question of 10 million, it's really a question of about three million.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a bad deal for Jordy, won't make him the richest man in the league but he's definitely set for life if he isn't a fool.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the details correctly but if this is an extension Nelson should be under contract for five more years, getting paid $42.5 million ($8.5M average) over the course of the deal.

That would be a nice deal for the Packers.
Very much so and I hope it is the way you have laid it out. Would be especially great if the team had an option for the last year. I suspect he'll be the team's number 3 receiver at best by that time. It's good they got this done early. Gives them much greater leverage now in dealing with Cobb.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Very much so and I hope it is the way you have laid it out. Would be especially great if the team had an option for the last year. I suspect he'll be the team's number 3 receiver at best by that time. It's good they got this done early. Gives them much greater leverage now in dealing with Cobb.

Well, the Packers can release him before the last year, depending on if the total deal is for four or five years it would result in a dead money cap hit of either $2.3M or $2.875M.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm not ignoring the salary cap impact of signing Nelson. The Packers will at least sign Cobb or Nelson, so the real question is if Nelson is worth the extra 2-3 million per year more he would cost relative top Cobb. So it's not a question of 10 million, it's really a question of about three million.

It's 8.5 million to 9.75 depending on how the deal is structured. What makes you think Cobb will get 2-3 million less then Nelson? Percy Harvin got 6 years 67 million last year and Cobb is way more durable then Harvin. If this deal makes it too difficult to sign Cobb I would be a little upset as the team is loaded with outside receivers. Cobb is really the only "pure slot receiver" on the roster other then Myles White who I don't think will even make the roster.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Very much so and I hope it is the way you have laid it out. Would be especially great if the team had an option for the last year. I suspect he'll be the team's number 3 receiver at best by that time.
It'll be interesting to see the details of the deal but the Packers don't need an option for the last season. As soon as a season's compensation equals (or is close) or is greater than the cap hit to release him it's an easy option for the team to release him. If Jordy stays healthy I'm not so sure he'll be the 3rd WR. In five years he'll be 33.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see the details of the deal but the Packers don't need an option for the last season. As soon as a season's compensation equals (or is close) or is greater than the cap hit to release him it's an easy option for the team to release him. If Jordy stays healthy I'm not so sure he'll be the 3rd WR. In five years he'll be 33.

I don't think they are implying an option, just that he still has a year left on his current deal at 3.5M so that will still be included and the 4 years tacked onto the end of that, essentially making it 5 year, 42.5M deal that he is under for right now after today.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think they are implying an option, just that he still has a year left on his current deal at 3.5M so that will still be included and the 4 years tacked onto the end of that, essentially making it 5 year, 42.5M deal that he is under for right now after today.
I don't know if it's a 4 or 5 year deal but regarding the option:
Would be especially great if the team had an option for the last year.
I read that to mean the last year of the deal, whether it's a 4 or 5 year deal, since having an option for this year doesn't make sense.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats to Jordy! The highest paid WWR in football!

*Caucasion reciever - as he is only compared to other melanin impaired WRs, I have come to the conclusion that WWR (white wide reciever) is a different than a WR.

Members online

Latest posts