Unwavering...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am thinking $4.5 million. I also believe there was a bunch of salary cap room saved doing it this way.
In what way was salary cap room saved? The difference in salary? Not trying to be argumentative. And are you thinking a two year contract for Jones with not much downside to cut Jones if he would fall off a cliff?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I came up with the 4.5 by subtracting Dillons 2.5 from Jones 7 mill. I seem to remember multiple posts that included Jones as one of the guys who could get cut in cap savings scenario. I believe I also read that Dillon only counts 1.5 against the cap because of the type of contract they signed him to. Sorry that's the best I can do.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Gute made a mistake. Should have kept Jones both for the team and for the fans. But also have Jacobs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Gute made a mistake. Should have kept Jones both for the team and for the fans. But also have Jacobs.
While that sounds nice, the amount of money invested in 2 RB's wouldn't have been prudent.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this about Gute (I just found this thread), but besides the fact that he is unwavering with his tough decisions, he is doing it under a pretty big microscope. The Packers are a small town team, in a small City, that lives and breathes Packer Football. One could say that the State of WI. is the same way when it comes to the Packers. Throw in the media, that seem to love Packer stories due to their storied history and you have a lot of eyes on a small town team. None of that seems to matter to Gute, he is doing his job in the way that he sees as being best for the team and its future.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that sounds nice, the amount of money invested in 2 RB's wouldn't have been prudent.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this about Gute (I just found this thread), but besides the fact that he is unwavering with his tough decisions, he is doing it under a pretty big microscope. The Packers are a small town team, in a small City, that lives and breathes Packer Football. One could say that the State of WI. is the same way when it comes to the Packers. Throw in the media, that seem to love Packer stories due to their storied history and you have a lot of eyes on a small town team. None of that seems to matter to Gute, he is doing his job in the way that he sees as being best for the team and its future.
Yes, Gute is a stud and the best thing that has happened to GB since Vince Lombardi. Maybe. He really hit on the W/Os and TEs, Tom and Walker hopefully. He's missed a few also. And he does have to make tough decisions. For me, keeping Jones would not have closed down the bank and we would have really been set for problems during the year. Signing Dillon for next to nothing...we paid for the worth. How many other teams were jumping to get him? This next draft is going to be very important to his legacy imho. Not to mention this coming year. I hope we don't lose it because of a missed field goal :)

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm just now seeing this post, so bear with me...but a few weeks removed, and this was a neccesary move.

Jones is a Packers legend in my estimation, but the production and potential of Josh Jacobs is undeniable.

He really is an every down back, younger, bigger and stronger than Jones, with comparable pass catching abilities.

Sometimes, ripping the band-aid off is better than peeling slowly...

This was a neccessary move.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just now seeing this post, so bear with me...but a few weeks removed, and this was a neccesary move.

Jones is a Packers legend in my estimation, but the production and potential of Josh Jacobs is undeniable.

He really is an everdown back, younger, bigger and stronger than Jones, with comparable pass catching abilities.

Sometimes, ripping the band-aid off is better than peeling slowly...

This was a neccessary move.
I'm thinking of the stretch run this coming season. It would not have broken the bank to have them both and I believe he signed a one year contract. We may have been able to keep him on one year contracts for as long as he was playing good. Getting something for a player at the latter end of his career is smart (if you get something worth while that is) and for when you are able to trade him imo. We got nothing. And I still think it would have been a good idea to draft one. Although I think more highly of Wilson, if he can stay healthy, than others here who seem to be covering their ***** about him if he does turn out good. The rookie you probably put on the reserve list unless he is very good. Or injuries, and just let Dillon go.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking of the stretch run this coming season. It would not have broken the bank to have them both and I believe he signed a one year contract. We may have been able to keep him on one year contracts for as long as he was playing good. Getting something for a player at the latter end of his career is smart (if you get something worth while that is) and for when you are able to trade him imo. We got nothing. And I still think it would have been a good idea to draft one. Although I think more highly of Wilson, if he can stay healthy, than others here who seem to be covering their ***** about him if he does turn out good. The rookie you probably put on the reserve list unless he is very good. Or injuries, and just let Dillon go.

I was quite surprised they brought back Dillon, but RB depth should always go 4-5 deep.

I'm not as high on Wilson, as I see him as solid, but strictly for depth purposes.

After a 3 year sample size, Dillon is what he is...a fullback.

Dillon's contract is a tender via the team, and I don't foresee a future beyond this upcoming season.

Drafting another RB in the Day 2-3 range will cover injury and possible replacement of Jacobs if/when there is a noticeable decline.

The running game is vital for MLF's system, Love's development, and the improvement of Hafley's defense.

Ensuring there isn't a drastic drop-off in production is essential.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF and Gute this off season have hinted at what I wanted us to bring him back as and that is a Half Back capable guy that is moveable and knows the offense….he is going to be our Deguara role replacement IMO and an above average RB if and when needed.

Members online

Latest posts