Merged: Nelson signed, was reportedly asking for $10M a year

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

HaHa'sRightGlove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not entirely sure of the salary of other WR's of his ability, but to keep the best you have to pay them something that reflects that, so if he wants $10m, give him $10m I say.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2014 numbers for annual average salary among WRs. I'd say $10M annual average for Jordy is completely reasonable.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... so if he wants $10m, give him $10m I say.
If you mean that literally, I disagree. Of course I want the Packers to sign Jordy, but not at any price; and I hope and believe the Packers wouldn't agree to the first demand of Jordy's agent (if he has one). I'm sure Russ Ball's negotiating skills are far better than that.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roddy White getting 3 year deal for 30 million is certainly going to help his case. It seems a fair deal to be honest, he's the go to guy, has the numbers to prove it and is due his big contract. To have his production over the last few years for the money he was getting was a bargain, now its time for him to be rewarded for that.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally depends on how much garauntee money were talking about. I think $8 mil is more realistic. A) some of those guys above are way over paid ( and TT does not like to overpay) B) Jordy is benefitting hugely from playing with Rodgers and Green Bay C) depends on how TT feels about who he has in the wings D) will there be another team out there that thinks they can get $10m a year value out if Jordy? E) look at what happened when Jennings left GB

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm torn...Jordy Nelson is my favorite packer but 8 mil is more reasonable. Cobb is going to want just as much especially if he has a big yr and he is more of a weapon IMO.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
We absolutely should not be paying Jordy that much. I love Jordy, and he is one of my favorite Packers, but he's not worth that much money. The WR's on the chart posted play for teams that do not have a QB the caliber of Rodgers throwing to them. I wonder how many TD's James Jones will have this next season. My opinion is Jordy's stats would not be nearly as high on another team, and that most wide receivers the Packers have will be replacable. Boykin is definitely capable and wasn't on the radar two years ago. Wide receiver for the Packers is truly a next man up mentality because of how good Rodgers is. I'd rather spend 10 million on a shutdown corner or a beast of a middle linebacker.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2014 numbers for annual average salary among WRs. I'd say $10M annual average for Jordy is completely reasonable.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Silly Boz. You only compare white WRs with other white WRs.

That being said, sorry Jordy. We have too much talent in the hopper to invest that much. You are certainly worth it, but the Packers are better served investing elsewhere.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without attacking anyone specifically, let me offer this observation: if your perspective on the subject of Jordy Nelson's contract begins with the premise that he's been a bargain to the Packers under his current deal and that he's earned a bump in salary, then you don't get it. Paying for past performance is a good way to fall out of contention in the future.

The issue should be looked at exclusively in terms of the value Nelson will produce over the course of the new contract and I tend to be skeptical of giving top ten WR money to a thirty year old receiver. I hope we can work something out with Nelson, though...

Last edited:

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Without attacking anyone specifically, let me offer this observation: if your perspective on the subject of Jordy Nelson's contract begins with the observation that he's been a bargain to the Packers under his current deal or that he's earned a bump due to his past performance, then you don't get it. Paying for past performance is a good way to fall out of contention in the future.

The issue should be looked at exclusively in terms of the value Nelson will produce over the course of the new contract and I tend to be skeptical of giving top ten WR money to a thirty year old receiver...

Couldn't agree more. We have the best QB in the league. Average receivers will suffice. Again, I'd rather spend that on a lockdown corner or a beastly MLB.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dudes got the stickiest fingers of any receiver so I don't mind the number. That said Rodgers could make a guy on crutches look like a great receiver so i could understand if they let him walk.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those that think 10 is too much, what do you feel is fair? Me personally I would like to see somewhere in the neighborhood of 8.5 to 9 flat over 3 years (this is what I would give Cobb as well). I feel this would be a bit of a team friendly deal as 10 is what I bet both would get on the open market.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those that think 10 is too much, what do you feel is fair? Me personally I would like to see somewhere in the neighborhood of 8.5 to 9 flat over 3 years (this is what I would give Cobb as well). I feel this would be a bit of a team friendly deal as 10 is what I bet both would get on the open market.
I think 10 is fair - but I think we should pay him about 8. And I think if he is smart, he takes the 8M instead of the 12M the Vikes would give him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m a little surprised there’s as many posters cautioning about overpaying Jordy as there are – not that that’s a bad thing. I really don’t know what the proper number is for Jordy. I certainly agree he shouldn’t be paid for past performance but that’s not a big deal IMO because he’s really f’ing good now and has real value: As I’ve posted before I don’t remember a WR with the body control to exercise the ballerina-like-tapping-toes-just-in-bounds catches like Jordy. My main point above was to just refute the ‘pay the man’ or worse, ‘pay the man whatever he asks for’ ideas.

I don’t think the Packers have any intention of letting him walk and I think it makes all kinds of sense to sign him to a deal that keeps him in Green Bay for another 3-4 seasons for reasonable money. I’ll be interested in the reaction once the terms of the deal are announced.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m a little surprised there’s as many posters cautioning about overpaying Jordy as there are – not that that’s a bad thing. I really don’t know what the proper number is for Jordy. I certainly agree he shouldn’t be paid for past performance but that’s not a big deal IMO because he’s really f’ing good now and has real value: As I’ve posted before I don’t remember a WR with the body control to exercise the ballerina-like-tapping-toes-just-in-bounds catches like Jordy. My main point above was to just refute the ‘pay the man’ or worse, ‘pay the man whatever he asks for’ ideas.

I don’t think the Packers have any intention of letting him walk and I think it makes all kinds of sense to sign him to a deal that keeps him in Green Bay for another 3-4 seasons for reasonable money. I’ll be interested in the reaction once the terms of the deal are announced.
You know, he did get better IMHO last season. I don't recall ever saying that about a WR who was nearing 30 years old before. What if he takes another step this season?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You know, he did get better IMHO last season. I don't recall ever saying that about a WR who was nearing 30 years old before. What if he takes another step this season?

I think you gotta take that risk with all the receivers the Packers have. Of course we want him to get better but just about every WR that has been thrown into this system has produced. Plus, TT knows how to get receivers. I think 7 to 7.5 mill tops is where you leave it with Jordy. Like you shared he is almost 30. If Jordy doesn't take that he runs the risk of injury or maybe even other guys stepping up. Don't get me wrong I like Jordy but Cobb is younger and IMO would be harder to replace.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts