Merged: Nelson signed, was reportedly asking for $10M a year

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read Jordy's Cap # over the next 3 years totals just over $19M, whereas Mike Wallaces Cap # for 2014 is $17.25M.

Teddy freaking Thompson does it again

Green and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the contract it's nice to see they backloaded his contract. We COULD cut him if we need to in 2017 (again, just if we HAD to) taking relatively little for dead money, and without hindering our team. It's also nice to see it back-loaded because we should be able to sign Cobb pretty easily next year. There will be some cuts or people not re-signed, of course, but imo Cobb and Nelson paired with Rodgers are a must. Those 3 along with Lacy on his rookie deal make us deadly for the next 5 years.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that Cobb would get a bigger contract than Jordy.
Since we're quoting Rodney, here's his reasoning:
OK, so let’s assume the former Kentucky star has a healthy and productive campaign. What would it then take to get him signed? Simply put, A LOT. Not only is Cobb a terrific player, but he’s also very young. Other GMs would be drooling over the chance to add a 24-year-old game changer to their offense. That’s why I think Cobb will command more money than Nelson, who turned 29 in May.
(same link as above) I think Cobb was the youngest player in the league when he was drafted - he'll be 24 in August and going into his fourth NFL season. IMO a lot will depend upon if he can stay healthy all season - if he does I think he'll be very productive.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Now I’m wondering why they decided on the $2M figure. Before Jordy’s signing it was reported the Packers were about $13M under the cap (regarding the top 51). If the approximate $6M cap hit for this year is correct, they have about $7M left. If they plan on signing Cobb after this fiscal year, it doesn’t matter. But if they do want to sign him towards the end of the season, I wonder why they didn’t reduce Jordy’s salary more this season – he has already received his bonus of $11.5M, I think he’d have been OK with a $500K salary this season (or whatever the minimum is). I’m sure Ball and Thompson have gone over this thoroughly, I’m just curious why they didn’t save $1M - $1.5M on this year’s cap. If they do sign Cobb and the cap number is another $6M, would they be OK with "only" $1M or so left in the cap? It would be toward the end of the season so maybe they would.

Jordy's extension actually counts only an additional $1.55 million towards the cap in 2014 as the deal he signed in 2011 would have resulted in a $4.375 million cap hit for this season.

That leaves the Packers with approximately $12 million in cap room at the moment. But remember that the Packers will have to spend some that on replacements for guys being put on various injury lists during the season (that number could end up being several million), $840,000 on #52 and #53 on the active roster and another $800K on practice squad players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy's extension actually counts only an additional $1.55 million towards the cap in 2014 as the deal he signed in 2011 would have resulted in a $4.375 million cap hit for this season.

That leaves the Packers with approximately $12 million in cap room at the moment. But remember that the Packers will have to spend some that on replacements for guys being put on various injury lists during the season (that number could end up being several million), $840,000 on #52 and #53 on the active roster and another $800K on practice squad players.

Is there a limit on how much can be rolled over into next year?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

But they do have to spend X% amount of the salary cap over the next 3 years or something right?

They have to spend 89% of the salary cap in cash over a four year period (2013-16). The Packers spent $16o million last year and have commited $130 million in cash to the top 51 at the moment, so that won´t be a problem at all.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Jordy's extension actually counts only an additional $1.55 million towards the cap in 2014...
I should have thought of that and should have known Thompson and Ball would leave enough room to extend Cobb - even with the other expenses upcoming. I hope they get Cobb to agree to a "reasonable" 4 or 5 year extension.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I should have thought of that and should have known Thompson and Ball would leave enough room to extend Cobb - even with the other expenses upcoming. I hope they get Cobb to agree to a "reasonable" 4 or 5 year extension.

We all make mistakes, TJV. ;) With Nelson only counting $4.6 million towards the cap in 2015 I think the Packers have enough cap space available to extend Cobb as well. IMO it would make a lot of sense for them to do it before this season, maybe getting a bargain like they got with Nelson in 2011.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I just read Jordy's Cap # over the next 3 years totals just over $19M, whereas Mike Wallaces Cap # for 2014 is $17.25M.

Teddy freaking Thompson does it again
You didn't expect anything else, did you?

I find it interesting that Dallas just extended Smith for 8/110M. Also, they have 26m in dead money on the books for this year. It all makes me giggle.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The injuries seem to be a concern. We all know his potential to be a dynamic playmaker, so I'm sure he wants to be paid like Wes welker or harvin

Wes Welker got 2 years and $12M from Denver. If that is what Cobb will be looking for, sign me up. :)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a 4 or 5 year deal but regarding the option: I read that to mean the last year of the deal, whether it's a 4 or 5 year deal, since having an option for this year doesn't make sense.

From what I understand about options in the NFL they are pretty rare, with the exception of the automatic 5th year option for 1st round picks under the new CBA.

I can't think of a recent example where a team option was implemented into a free agent contract. I'm not sure there are any. I could be wrong about that, though.

Because NFL contracts are so fluid the teams can usually treat the late years as an option anyway. You could essentially look at it as the Packers have an option for $12.55M on Jordy for 2018, with a $2.3M buyout (if he were cut this would be the hit).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts