Merged: Nelson signed, was reportedly asking for $10M a year

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard packers and cobbs agent both are wait and see for the season. Both have good reason to.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I heard packers and cobbs agent both are wait and see for the season. Both have good reason to.

Well, with Cobb missing most of last season the Packers could get a similar bargain as they did when they signed Nelson during the 2011 season.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good news. The numbers sound reasonable.

If anyone can provide links unpacking the structure of the contract a bit better, I would love to see them.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I wouldn't wait to sign Cobb until end of season. He will command way to much money and we will probably not be able to keep him. I think they can get a better value deal if they sign him now as I expect Cobb to have a big season this year. When plays break down it's Randall Cobb that usually breaks routes off and Rodgers finds.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, with Cobb missing most of last season the Packers could get a similar bargain as they did when they signed Nelson during the 2011 season.
The injuries seem to be a concern. We all know his potential to be a dynamic playmaker, so I'm sure he wants to be paid like Wes welker or harvin

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The injuries seem to be a concern. We all know his potential to be a dynamic playmaker, so I'm sure he wants to be paid like Wes welker or harvin

If he's looking for that kind of money I expect he will be disappointed by the Packers offer.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Just to clear up some apparent confusion:
Jordy Nelson was born May 31, 1985. That means he just turned 29 years old. On May 31, 2015 he will turn 30 years old. On May 31, 2016 he will turn 31 years old. Etcetera.
But, I was wondering when he will turn 32...?

:tdown:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not if Cobb's not interested. I suspect Cobb doesn't really care if he stays in GB or not. If it was important, he'd be trying to get a deal done sooner rather than later. For the Packers, there are a lot of unknowns and moving pieces here. How are the 3 rookie WR's progressing? Is the TE situation looking good? Are Boykin and Rodgers meshing well? Are the RB's viable receiving threats? Can Cobb stay healthy under a heavy workload?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A proven, solid #1 WR in the NFL is worth $9+Mil/year... and someone will pay Nelson if TT doesn't want to. There are potential WR replacements in camp

I'm "OK" with a 4 yr/$38Mil with $14Mil guaranteed ~ that would put him #9 on the highest-paid-WR list and above Greg Jennings. Nelson (IMHO) is better than a few guys that are higher on that list (Bowe & Wallace) but they're over-paid.
You sure nailed that one! Good call.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Not if Cobb's not interested. I suspect Cobb doesn't really care if he stays in GB or not. If it was important, he'd be trying to get a deal done sooner rather than later.
Or there could be another reason Cobb isn't trying to get a deal done sooner rather than later:
I don’t believe I’ve done enough,” Cobb said after Sunday's practice. “And I think that’s on me. I can’t really take last year. I missed 10 weeks. I got injured in a way where there was nothing I could do about it. I think my job is to come out here every day, do what I’m supposed to, work hard and hopefully my time will come. I feel I have a lot to prove. I know the type of player I’m capable of being. And it’s just going out and showing it on a day-to-day basis.”
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/268799221.html

Of course he knows it's a business and if he can stay healthy he also knows he's in for a huge payday. But the question of whether or not he can hold up under a heavy workload is an important one. Dunne's blog entry linked raises the possibility of the Packers tagging him. That may sound ridiculous now but may not after the season. It also raises the possibility of a deal getting done in November or December - if they don't want to get it done sooner, I like that option better.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Dunne's blog entry linked raises the possibility of the Packers tagging him. That may sound ridiculous now but may not after the season. It also raises the possibility of a deal getting done in November or December - if they don't want to get it done sooner, I like that option better.

The franchise tag for receivers was at $12.3 million this year, not going to happen with Cobb in 2015.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was driving around Green Bay today on the way to fill up on the way out of town and got stopped by Lambeau where the players ride through. Fans lined up in the parking lot erupt, and here's Jordy flyin' through the intersection on a 10 speed. Cool experience.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or there could be another reason Cobb isn't trying to get a deal done sooner rather than later: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/268799221.html

Of course he knows it's a business and if he can stay healthy he also knows he's in for a huge payday. But the question of whether or not he can hold up under a heavy workload is an important one. Dunne's blog entry linked raises the possibility of the Packers tagging him. That may sound ridiculous now but may not after the season. It also raises the possibility of a deal getting done in November or December - if they don't want to get it done sooner, I like that option better.

To me it seems that his statements were directed at Jordy being the priority as opposed to himself. Hopefully he'd be willing to take a pay cut to continue playing with a top flight quarterback.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Here are some details about the contract Nelson signed on Saturday. His base salary will drop to $2 million for this season and once again for 2015 to $1.3 million. He will earn $5.5 million in 2016, $8.25 million in 2017 and $9.25 million in 2018.

On the other side his salary cap number will increase to $5.925 million for this season, not sure about workout and roster bonuses over the next few seasons, but if the $11.5 million signing bonus is accurate it will be prorated over the length of the contract ($2.3 million annually).

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Here are some details about the contract Nelson signed on Saturday. His base salary will drop to $2 million for this season and once again for 2015 to $1.3 million. He will earn $5.5 million in 2016, $8.25 million in 2017 and $9.25 million in 2018.

On the other side his salary cap number will increase to $5.925 million for this season, not sure about workout and roster bonuses over the next few seasons, but if the $11.5 million signing bonus is accurate it will be prorated over the length of the contract ($2.3 million annually).

Sounds cap friendly to me.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In a situation like Jordy’s does anyone know for sure whether the terms of his former deal (the one expiring at the end of this season) have to stay in place? If so, cap hit for this season would be the prorated cap and salary for 2014 from his former deal plus the prorated cap hit ($2.3M) from the new deal.

OR, can the team “tear up” his former deal regarding his salary for this season? If so they would have to include the remaining cap hit from the former deal, the prorated cap hit for the new deal and whatever salary they agree on for this year.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
In a situation like Jordy’s does anyone know for sure whether the terms of his former deal (the one expiring at the end of this season) have to stay in place? If so, cap hit for this season would be the prorated cap and salary for 2014 from his former deal plus the prorated cap hit ($2.3M) from the new deal.

OR, can the team “tear up” his former deal regarding his salary for this season? If so they would have to include the remaining cap hit from the former deal, the prorated cap hit for the new deal and whatever salary they agree on for this year.

I think this is the first time I have ever seen you ask something technical.... lol. You normally have that football encyclopedia forged in your skull. I would suspect that the deal starts from the date of the contract signing. So I think he would be getting his "new money" for 2014.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

In a case like Jordy's the base salary and the roster bonuses don't have to stay in place, only the prorated portion of the signing bonus of the former deal will count against the cap, no matter what.

Let's take a look at Nelson's cap hit for 2014. The base salary was reduced from $3.05 million to $2 million while his roster bonus was increased to $500,000. The prorated portion of the signing bonus of the deal he signed in 2011 ($875,000) will count against the cap in 2014 as well as the prorated portion of the signing bonus of the new deal ($2.3 million). In addition the workout bonus he already received ($250,000) will count against this year's cap, resulting in a total cap hit of $5.925 million.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
In a case like Jordy's the base salary and the roster bonuses don't have to stay in place, only the prorated portion of the signing bonus of the former deal will count against the cap, no matter what.

Let's take a look at Nelson's cap hit for 2014. The base salary was reduced from $3.05 million to $2 million while his roster bonus was increased to $500,000. The prorated portion of the signing bonus of the deal he signed in 2011 ($875,000) will count against the cap in 2014 as well as the prorated portion of the signing bonus of the new deal ($2.3 million). In addition the workout bonus he already received ($250,000) will count against this year's cap, resulting in a total cap hit of $5.925 million.

Nice. Well said.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks for the breakdown cptnWimm. In essence, it gets Nelson long term security, and more importantly gives mgmt some options to get out in 17 or 18 if they need to. Thompson's guys sure do know how to handle the cap. Always protect the future.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Michael Rodney who writes on his Packer Update site predicts the Packers will wait until late November/December to get a deal done with Cobb. He says the Packers want to see if he can stay healthy and Cobb wants to prove it. If Cobb does stay healthy, Rodney predicts he’ll get an offer higher than Jordy’s and offers a guess at the dollar and guarantee amounts. Here’s the link: http://packerupdate.net/?p=34349

One of the reasons I asked the question above was I thought they could revise Jordy’s 2014 salary but wasn’t sure. Now I’m wondering why they decided on the $2M figure. Before Jordy’s signing it was reported the Packers were about $13M under the cap (regarding the top 51). If the approximate $6M cap hit for this year is correct, they have about $7M left. If they plan on signing Cobb after this fiscal year, it doesn’t matter. But if they do want to sign him towards the end of the season, I wonder why they didn’t reduce Jordy’s salary more this season – he has already received his bonus of $11.5M, I think he’d have been OK with a $500K salary this season (or whatever the minimum is). I’m sure Ball and Thompson have gone over this thoroughly, I’m just curious why they didn’t save $1M - $1.5M on this year’s cap. If they do sign Cobb and the cap number is another $6M, would they be OK with "only" $1M or so left in the cap? It would be toward the end of the season so maybe they would.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that Cobb would get a bigger contract than Jordy (Packerupdate estimate was 4yr/$41Mil).

With the risk/concern about injury from both camps I would think it might be wiser to extend Cobb for another 2 (or 3) yrs. at around $7Mil/yr. (similar situation as the below-market 2nd contract Jordy signed). That would be a team-friendly contract, yet give Cobb enough financial security to continue playing the slot with abandon AND cash in when the cap balloons.

This should be a thread of its own, but 2015 key Free Agents are: Bulaga, Barclay, Taylor and Boykin on offense; Raji, T. Williams, House, Bush & Richardson on D. With Tramon's $10Mil off of the cap after this year there's enough to re-sign a couple of guys, but not everyone.

Members online

Latest posts