Knee Jerk Reactions - 2013 Offseason

Reaction score
1. Fire McCarthy - his awful playcalling is awful.
2. Fire Ted Thompson - he's done nothing to address the oline/defense.
3. Fire Capers - his playmakers can't stay healthy and he's just poopey
4. Get rid of Rodgers and all the players - they're not as good as San Fran and don't put up a billion points every game - Gerrh!
5. Get rid of the whiny fans that want everyone fired after our injured team loses to one of the most loaded teams in the last decade....

any of these options ... idk, knee jerk.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Fire McCarthy - his awful playcalling is awful.
2. Fire Ted Thompson - he's done nothing to address the oline/defense.
3. Fire Capers - his playmakers can't stay healthy and he's just poopey
4. Get rid of Rodgers and all the players - they're not as good as San Fran and don't put up a billion points every game - Gerrh!
5. Get rid of the whiny fans that want everyone fired after our injured team loses to one of the most loaded teams in the last decade....

any of these options ... idk, knee jerk.

News flash buddy. This team has been injured before and our claim to fame was our depth. No one is asking for anyone's head, but Capers. We are constantly unprepared and get the crap beat out of us even with our starters. Have you ever stopped to think why we are consistently the most injured team in football. No that's not Caper's fault, but we need to work on that. We are not a physical defense and we get man handled every year on D. It's time for a change.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
News flash buddy. This team has been injured before and our claim to fame was our depth. No one is asking for anyone's head, but Capers. We are constantly unprepared and get the crap beat out of us even with our starters. Have you ever stopped to think why we are consistently the most injured team in football. No that's not Caper's fault, but we need to work on that. We are not a physical defense and we get man handled every year on D. It's time for a change.
That sounds more like a personal issue for the players

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/186699051.html

Packers backfield definitely in motion

By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

That probably best characterizes the Green Bay Packers running back positions.
Cedric Benson hopes to be back 100% from foot surgery next year, but isn’t certain he will be. Alex Green hopes to be completely healthy and be the starter, but he’ll have competition. James Starks hopes to avoid injury and but isn’t sure where he stands. DuJuan Harris gave hope there would be a running game in Green Bay, but it’s unclear whether a 5-7, 203-pound guy can be the long-term answer. Ryan Grant is hopeful he’ll hook on somewhere next year, but isn’t sure if it will be here.
As many guys as the Packers have at the position, there’s no guarantee that general manager Ted Thompson won’t go out and draft a back in the upper rounds.
“I’m still going to prepare (to play),” Benson said. “I know there’s no certainty. I’m on a one-year deal, but I’m going to prepare and be in shape like I did the last off-season. I don’t know if they’re waiting on something, I can’t really say.
“But I know for certain my first priority is my foot. And once that’s done I’ll be right back into my training.”
Green said he planned on taking a little time off to allow his surgically repaired knee to rest, but said he expected big things next year. He said the year spent rehabbing took it’s tool on his knee and he was not the same player at the end of the season.
But he said he’s looking forward to being on even ground with the rest of the backs next year since he won’t have to do rehab just to get on the field.
“I’m excited,” Green said. “It’s going to be fun. Now I know how to train for it, I know the plays, there are no excuses. I feel like it’s going to be a good upcoming year.”
Starks said he hoped to alter his running style some to avoid injury. He has one year left on his contract and is scheduled to make about $1.3 million. Whether the Packers want to pay that is a concern for him.
As for Grant, he said it was worth coming back late in the year. He only wished this season would have ended with a Super Bowl ring given he was on injured reserve during the 2010 Super Bowl season.
But he said he has no intention of retiring right now.
“I’m not there yet,” said the 30-year-old Grant. “We’ll see. It’s always worth it (coming back). It was frustrating, too. But that’s how this sport is. This job is not the average job when you think about what we put into it. Whenever you put that much into it, it’s not about the outcome. It’s about the journey.
“Train ride, not the station.”

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1: Draft 2 OL in at worst the first 5 rounds (1 in first 3 rounds)
2: Splash in Free Agency on the defensive side of the ball at either a LB or DL position
3: Do not be afraid to draft best available player TT (it has worked and shouldn't be abandoned)

*4: Capers retires, we thank him but move forward to better things.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a lot of DCs know the 3-4 so it is a small market. BUT I think we have way too much young talent on defense to be playing like that. I like Capers but we can't play like this anymore.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT needs to cut some players and let others walk in free agency to free up cap space. My list would include losing all of the following: Greg Jennings, Jeff Saturday, Jermichael Finley, Donald Driver, Ryan Grant, James Starks, AJ Hawk, Erik Walden, and Charles Woodson. Many of these guys have high salaries that will choke our cap next season. Walden, Grant, and Starks just aren't worth it anymore. Finley only turned it on at season's end, when reports leaked that Green Bay wasn't going to bring him back. He'll revert to the same old Finley in 2013, which is an average tight end. We've got talent waiting at that position and could better use our cap space on defense.

I would let Cedric Benson compete for the running back spot with Green and Harris next season, but no guarantees. He cost next to nothing in 2012 and still showed that he can gain yards. Crosby certainly needs wide-open competition in camp for the FG duties. I'm not in favor of using a draft pick here though.

Certainly TT will look at D-line and O-line in the draft, but should scour the open markets for talent. I top safety would be a great FA aquisition assuming that Woodson is gone. We will also need to either draft or acquire another MLB.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like a Harris and Benson combo next year. I think they complement each other well -- Harris as the speed guy, Benson as the power guy.

It gets a little murkier after that. Starks has shown talent but demonstrates a great deal of trouble staying healthy. Green has had every opportunity to win the starting job this year but doesn't look like anything more than the newest version of Brandon Jackson.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People...enough with the Hawk talk, clean cutting him is just dumb. Yes he's expensive, so I would be behind a trade (no takers I'm sure) or attempting to re-structure his contract. HOwever, he definitely is a tackler just can't blitz or cover guys hardly at all. I was hoping this would be Bishop's proving year and make letting Hawk go easier, with Bishop's injury I think he secured Hawk's future atleast next season with us.

I am a fan of keeping Woodson but man his contract is massive, restructure would be nice, but even if not I say keep.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
TT needs to cut some players and let others walk in free agency to free up cap space. My list would include losing all of the following: Greg Jennings, Jeff Saturday, Jermichael Finley, Donald Driver, Ryan Grant, James Starks, AJ Hawk, Erik Walden, and Charles Woodson. Many of these guys have high salaries that will choke our cap next season. Walden, Grant, and Starks just aren't worth it anymore. Finley only turned it on at season's end, when reports leaked that Green Bay wasn't going to bring him back. He'll revert to the same old Finley in 2013, which is an average tight end. We've got talent waiting at that position and could better use our cap space on defense.

I would let Cedric Benson compete for the running back spot with Green and Harris next season, but no guarantees. He cost next to nothing in 2012 and still showed that he can gain yards. Crosby certainly needs wide-open competition in camp for the FG duties. I'm not in favor of using a draft pick here though.

Certainly TT will look at D-line and O-line in the draft, but should scour the open markets for talent. I top safety would be a great FA aquisition assuming that Woodson is gone. We will also need to either draft or acquire another MLB.
Seriously. Contract Year.
The only OL I expect TT to draft is C/G, and unless we drop EDS (which I don't see happening) only a backup.
DL we just spent a bunch of picks on, but we have 3 guys in contract years, so I expect we may get another NT or runstuffing DE. FS would be wise since the only 2 guys who can play it are in contract years in 2013, and one of them is actually a SS. ILB our starters are set, it'd basically be depth.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
UFA I might see us picking up:
QB
David Garrard
RB
Stephen Jackson, Shonn Greene, Peyton Hillis
TE
Brandon Myers, Jared Cook, Anthony Fasano
OL
Sam Baker, Mike Pollak
DL
Randy Starks, Mike DeVito, Terrance Knighton, Ricky Jean-Francois, Kedric Golston
OLB
Manny Lawson, Anthony Spencer
ILB
Lary Grant, Tim Dobbins, Brandon Siler
S
Patrick Chung

Dream A Dream: Kruger, Ellerbee, Alan Branch.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love that list and see great possibilities for sure in it like you do. I especially like the Garrad pick up if cheap as a great back up, Shonn Greene intrigues me for the right price, Fasano I like but only if Finley is gone and his price isn't as high as I believe it may be, I like the Golston idea on DL and Manny Lawson or Siler would be my choices out of the LBs.