Joe Barry OUT AS DC

OP
OP
games

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe just rename it to 'Fire the DC' because I'm sure after the next hiring or by week 1 there will be calls to fire them.
I only laugh because there's so much truth to it!

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If I didn't stick this one, I'd be merging several more throughout the day. Maybe time to stick the search for a DC thread too.

OP
OP
games

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Schneidman and Tom Silverstein, Packers beat reporters, both state they confirmed Pelissero's original reporting.

ALSO BREAKING: Adam Schefter reports Barry MAY BE RETAINED in a different capacity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
games

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have made it official that JB will not return as DC.

HOWEVER, it is possible he may be retained in another capacity.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Packer fan, I am glad they are moving on from Barry. I don't think he's a very good DC, didn't like the hire from the get-go and it was definitely time to move on.

As a human being, I'm glad Barry at least finished relatively strong and can go out with some pride. Having their playoff hopes squashed by Carolina late in that game would have been a humiliating way to go out and I would have hated to see that for him.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have made it official that JB will not return as DC.

HOWEVER, it is possible he may be retained in another capacity.
Hey, if he wants to stick around as the mail room supervisor, I'm good with that... I think.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Barry seems like a decent enough guy, but he's one of those old style of coaches that tries to fit players into his scheme. Even if you think that you've drafted "your type of guys," a great coach learns what he has and devises schemes to highlight and utilize his players' skills. Barry struggled to do that. Square peg / Round hole.

I hear that Ed Donnatell is available! :D

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, let's hope that the next DC has a better resume than what Joe Barry brought to the table. While I'm not sad to see him go, the defensive woes are not all his fault. I think Gute deserves some blame from drafting too many project players in the first round. Too much emphasis on the development side of the draft and development equation. The only Gute defensive pick in the first three rounds to make a pro bowl or All Pro was Jaire. That's not a good record. I hope the next DC can get all those first round picks to play up to their draft status. It's a tall order. Good luck to whomever gets hired.