Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Another possibility is that they wanted to see what teams lost yesterday so they could talk to their candidates .

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if ML is going to interview anyone from the Ravens coaching staff since they have been eliminated.

Reaction score
Re: Leonhard - Not sure if it holds true in the NFL but in business if you interview and then turn down a promotion - you often don’t get asked again.
That’s similarly happened to me in the dating world also. :whistling:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if ML is going to interview anyone from the Ravens coaching staff since they have been eliminated.
Orr! I love his tenacity...seven years experience but not sure he's ready for head DC....but still...

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Facing a third-and-9 with 2:19 remaining in the fourth quarter up seven points, the Chiefs had the opportunity to ice the game with a first down. The Ravens had a chance to stop them and get the ball back and possibly tie the game. On that play, Mahomes found Marquez Valdes-Scantling for a 32-yard gain.

This play was a microcosm of a historic defense (#1 for 2023) with multiple All-Pros (4), allowing a castoff WR (MVS) with brick for hands sealing their fate from reaching the Super Bowl at home as the #1 seed in the AFC.

2024 NFL playoffs: Chiefs' Marquez Valdes-Scantling seals win vs. Ravens in AFC title game with clutch catch

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The guy with brick for hands is faster than 99% of the DB's in the league. He was open. The pass was on target.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Ravens defense held the Chiefs to three points in the second half what a disastrous defensive performance lol

EDIT: I was wrong they actually shut them out in the second half!

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think any coach who has ever been part of any meaningful loss anywhere should be eliminated from consideration …obviously not “gamers” and upon further reflection if they had any part in a meaningless loss - they obviously lack focus and intensity - so basically we need an experienced coach who has never been part of a meaningful (or meaningless) loss - he has to have “chops” but not be somebody who might someday be considered for a HC position. Have I got this all correct?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chiefs pulled in their horns on offense in the second half. They left it up to their defense, knowing that the only way to Ravens got back in it was with them turning over the ball.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers requested permission to speak to Denard Wilson. He's a DB coach (I think I see a theme here) and 41 yo. The ravens had the best pass defense in the AFC but not the best talent. Strong possibility here. Experience in 3-4 and the 4-3.

Last edited:

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers requested permission to speak to Denard Wilson. He's a DB coach (I think I see a theme here) and 41 yo. The ravens had the best pass defense in the NFL but not the best talent. Strong possibility here.

You could quibble with Parker's age or perceived lack of experience. Not so with Wilson. Very steady progression through the NFL coaching ranks. Wilson's also being courted by three other teams.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers requested permission to speak to Denard Wilson. He's a DB coach (I think I see a theme here) and 41 yo. The ravens had the best pass defense in the AFC but not the best talent. Strong possibility here. Experience in 3-4 and the 4-3.
Now THIS is the kind of resume I can get on board with. I like this one.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dennard Wilson is a good candidate with a lot of experience.

My only concern with the hire is really not about him, but about what the Packers might ask of him. If they should ask him to come install Mike MacDonald's defense in Green Bay, I think that would be a mistake-- the same one they made with Joe Barry. Barry was a Monte Kiffin, tampa 2 guy who had a smattering of experience with other DC's and one season coaching with Brandon Staley. They asked him to come run that defense with the Packers. That was foolish.

Similarly, Wilson has one year of experience with MacDonald, but worked under other guys previously in different systems. So if you want him, great. But don't ask him to be an expert/architect in a system that he doesn't have a ton of background in.

The bulk of Wilson's background came under Gregg Williams (2012-2016, 2019-2020), Todd Bowles (2017-2018), and Jonathan Gannon (2021-2022). It was only in 2023 that he was with the Ravens and working under MacDonald. I'm sure he could/would incorporate some of what the Ravens did last season, but it isn't his native language, so to speak.

One interesting thing about his background-- he's spent the bulk of his career with high blitz % guys in Williams and Bowles, but the last three seasons he has been in low blitz % defenses. But even in those three years, there has been variety. Gannon doesn't send a lot of extra pressure and typically just lets his DL rush. MacDonald doesn't tend to send a lot of 5+ man blitzes, but he does disguise a lot and mix up who is rushing (off-ball linebackers, safeties, etc.).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to like Wilson and and Orr from that Ravens staff...Wilson more so, and I'd probably shockingly like Parker before Orr.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Orr (or Chris Hewitt) would make much more sense than Wilson if the Packers want to see the Ravens' defensive style employed fully in Green Bay. He's even younger than Parker, but his background is basically 100% Baltimore. He had one season in Jacksonville, but even that was under Joe Cullen, who was a Ravens guy.

The thing about the Ravens defense is that its strength is its ability to be highly multiple. They have personnel that are viable both rushing and dropping into coverage. The only defenders on the team who can't really drop into coverage and who played more than half the snaps were Pierce (DT), Madubuike (DT), and Clowney (ED). Otherwise, they rely heavily on linebackers (Smith, Queen, Van Noy) and safeties (Hamilton, Stephens, Stone, Williams), and most of those guys spend time both rushing and dropping.

I think it's a great approach to defense, but I also think it would require the biggest overhaul to the defense. The Packers only have one guy, who, in my opinion has at least the potential to both rush and drop successfully-- Quay Walker. Other than that, I think their players along the LOS are rush-only guys and their guys behind the LOS are coverage-only guys. That's not a deal-breaker, but it does need to be considered. The counter to that qualm is simply that they need to add a lot at safety and linebacker regardless.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's my baseless speculation on all the smoke around Christian Parker:

Prior to championship Sunday, he was their leading candidate. They decided that they would offer him the job if the Ravens were in the SB rather than wait two more weeks so that they didn't end up without a dance partner. When Baltimore lost, they proceeded with the interview process and have yet to make a final decision.

That's probably wrong, but that's my stab at the situation.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my baseless speculation on all the smoke around Christian Parker:

Prior to championship Sunday, he was their leading candidate. They decided that they would offer him the job if the Ravens were in the SB rather than wait two more weeks so that they didn't end up without a dance partner. When Baltimore lost, they proceeded with the interview process and have yet to make a final decision.

That's probably wrong, but that's my stab at the situation.

This is how I am feeling it very well might be too.

FYI, someone close told me don't be shocked to see Jim Leonhard involved in staff possible. Not DC but staff....that'd make me ecstatic.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Bills just promoted Bobby Babich to DC, so you can scratch him off the list.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has Evero been named a HC yet? Also, probably wrong but they might be holding out until all of the HC jobs are filled and add him to the interview list.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Has Evero been named a HC yet? Also, probably wrong but they might be holding out until all of the HC jobs are filled and add him to the interview list.

No, but the Panthers are blocking any requests to interview him for DC jobs. So he isn't a candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts