Packers vs Panthers Game Thread: Merry Christmas Edition

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably where we share the most frustration. You've got a system / scheme that is obviously horrible and doesn't work at all. Yet there are no adjustments at all ever. How does an NFL coordinator first off come up with such a bad scheme, but even worse stick with it week after week after week?
One hypothetical possibility is that it is the scheme that MLF prefers also.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One hypothetical possibility is that it is the scheme that MLF prefers also.
Adding my hypothetical to your hypothetical: While it might be MLF's preferred scheme, it may not be a scheme JB ran prior to joining the Packers. Hypothetically, of course...

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably where we share the most frustration. You've got a system / scheme that is obviously horrible and doesn't work at all. Yet there are no adjustments at all ever. How does an NFL coordinator first off come up with such a bad scheme, but even worse stick with it week after week after week?
The really bad thing is he actually used some press coverage early in the game but as soon as we gave up one catch he went right back to his ****** soft zone BS.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The really bad thing is he actually used some press coverage early in the game but as soon as we gave up one catch he went right back to his ****** soft zone BS.
Yeah, it started out good but then the switch like you said. I couldn't understand it or believe it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks! I believe things happen to people for a reason, whether it's to me or Joe Barry or whoever...

We agree on a lot. I think most of us, prior to the season, would have agreed 7 wins for the entire season was a plausible outcome. I hope (and think) Rasheed Walker will maintain his stable play at LT. Regarding Myers at C, it would have been real easy to move Zach Tom to C, where he played in college. But, they resisted doing it, Myers improved a bit, and center is stable and mediocre where before it was just not good.
In fairness, the OL and specifically Walker and Myers have played better lately than I gave them credit for. They entire OL gave Jones some nice gaps yesterday.

I’d still be ok with a great LT in round 1, but needs may have changed, making S or CB a better choice.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fairness, the OL and specifically Walker and Myers have played better lately than I gave them credit for. They entire OL gave Jones some nice gaps yesterday.

I’d still be ok with a great LT in round 1, but needs may have changed, making S or CB a better choice.
I liked the holes the O-line created for the run game, too. For whatever reason, PFF seemed to disagree from the position grades I saw on X.

I agree you have to take at least one higher-round center or LT. Myers is big enough to play guard and could make a nice utility O line backup. But, to your point, secondary needs reinforcements and we could use a LB or two.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones makes our run blocking look better. He is so quick getting to the line of scrimmage and with changing directions while in the heart of the play. And seemingly makes the right decision every time.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones makes our run blocking look better. He is so quick getting to the line of scrimmage and with changing directions while in the heart of the play. And seemingly makes the right decision every time.
Wasn't he clocked in the Bears game going 22 mph on the run he broke for a TD? (Might have been the one he aggravated his hamstring.) Pretty good for an old RB by NFL standards.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points and sorry about your job.

And yeah, there was an attempt to change things up. I’m not complaining about that and that itself could’ve caused some confusion.

I won’t apologize for Barry either and he’s gone. My concern is the lack of effort by the players. Can’t say I blame them, but you can’t tell they’re in a playoff race looking at the guys. They should have enough individual pride to play with some intensity and purpose. Just don’t see it.

But I didn’t see a 7-9 win season either. The offense has progressed very well indeed.

Still need a LT and ideally, a better C. Those can be fixed in the draft. The D needs secondary help, starting at S. What they really need is a leader. That will change too.
What is concerning is the apparent lack of effort by some of the guys on D (or the guys are not in a good position to make a play and they look uninterested). Players reflect their coaches and this passive attitude on defense is unacceptable in this league.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a lunatic? (what is the definition of insanity?) ;)

Reaction score
Sure, and I get that part of it. I don't get Wyatt making another boneheaded play after getting a public forgiveness hug earlier. It's just an example that things aren't sinking in with some of these guys.

To your point, it's ok to mess up and sincerely apologize, and to forgive. It gets harder when it keeps happening. But hey, Quay Walker hasn't been ejected so far this year, so guys can learn. Sometimes it takes a while.
It’s very possible Matt eventually realized it wasn’t so boneheaded. The referee blew the whistle while the ball squirted out and was still “live”. Both a Carolina player and Wyatt saw it and went after it. Wyatt also didn’t do anything egregious other than try to jump on a live ball. That’s how he’s always played and he’s been praised for it. He makes plays all over the field and is known for his hustle. He’s never been known to just want to “pile on”. He really never piled on anyone if you look at it closer. Referee lost sight of the ball and panicked. Literally

The mistake wasn’t Wyatt. The mistake was the Referee thinking a Panther had control of fumble and he didn’t from an assortment of replay angles he had never controlled that ball.

Great hustle downfield and shows his awareness and playing through the whistle. If somebody was on that ball, why did the Panther player suddenly jump on his knees 4-5 feet away from the initial fumble pile? Watch his Stokes changes direction #21 looking for the loose ball

If I was Matt I’d apologize too, it was total mistaken identity and a terrible flag thrown. It’s another referee mistake but understandable because he had a bad angle. He just started blowing his whistle prematurely. Literally stopped a live play by accident. Then doubled down on his own stupidity by throwing a meaningless flag and out of embarrassment didn’t pick it up.

I wonder if the Ref realized later were in camera and the fans have 3 camera angles and freeze and slow motion? See the caption? Even the announcers could see it
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s very possible Matt eventually realized it wasn’t so boneheaded. The referee blew the whistle while the ball squirted out and was still “live”. Both a Carolina player and Wyatt saw it and went after it. Wyatt also didn’t do anything egregious other than try to jump on a live ball. That’s how he’s always played and he’s been praised for it. He makes plays all over the field and is known for his hustle. He’s never been known to just want to “pile on”. He really never piled on anyone if you look at it closer. Referee lost sight of the ball and panicked. Literally

The mistake wasn’t Wyatt. The mistake was the Referee thinking a Panther had control of fumble and he didn’t from an assortment of replay angles he had never controlled that ball.

Great hustle downfield and shows his awareness and playing through the whistle. If somebody was on that ball, why did the Panther player suddenly jump on his knees 4-5 feet away from the initial fumble pile? Watch his Stokes changes direction #21 looking for the loose ball

If I was Matt I’d apologize too, it was total mistaken identity and a terrible flag thrown. It’s another referee mistake but understandable because he had a bad angle. He just started blowing his whistle prematurely. Literally stopped a live play by accident. Then doubled down on his own stupidity by throwing a meaningless flag and out of embarrassment didn’t pick it up.

I wonder if the Ref realized later were in camera and the fans have 3 camera angles and freeze and slow motion? See the caption? Even the announcers could see it
Bad call. When 2 of the lower ranks play sometimes they get the lesser crews.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Well, I guess you've made it pretty clear that you believe in drafting by position of perceived need. I don't think our GM necessarily agrees with you.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I said this in a previous post, but I'm really happy with Walker and his progress I hope he can continue it. Big Penn State fan and a fan of his when he played there. I remember when he completely dominated Hutchinson. The potential is there, hopefully the growth continues.

Members online

Latest posts