Defensive Coordinator Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bills just promoted Bobby Babich to DC, so you can scratch him off the list.
I think he was the #1 candidate on the Packers list. It might be possible that they were about to make an offer, so the Bills felt they had to cut it off before it happened. The guy has a lot of football savvy from what I heard.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think he was the #1 candidate on the Packers list. It might be possible that they were about to make an offer, so the Bills felt they had to cut it off before it happened. The guy has a lot of football savvy from what I heard.

Or he found out that he wouldn't get the job so he accepted the promotion in Buffalo.

Babich has a better path to becoming a head coach in GB under an offensive guy than he does with the Bills, where the defensive success is always going to be largely attributable to McDermott.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know nothing about any of the guys being interviewed so far. I just don't pay attention to guys that are position coaches to even pretend like I know who would be a good choice. I do like that they are focusing on new blood (other than Staley) rather than playing the old standards.

I gotta believe that if Evero comes available he would be #1 on MLF's list.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carolina has blocked Evero numerous times. He would be great..too bad we will not get to see him as our next d.c.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol. Giving up 330 yards and 17 points to a very good team is a complete meltdown???

Yes. Absolutely.

You wanna go with the statistical argument and form your narrative around that, be my guest, but the eyes don't lie.

This was a historically relevant defense with many things in their favor allowing scores on two clock draining drives on two opening possessions.

The Ravens couldn't get stops when they needed to, and they unraveled mentally and emotionally when the offensive side unraveled themselves.

Anyone watching the game could see the defense was overwhelmed and they were exposed.

Mahomes managed the game during the 2nd half, and the Ravens couldn't generate consistent pressure with a backup left guard, and two average tackles.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carolina has blocked Evero numerous times. He would be great..too bad we will not get to see him as our next d.c.

Which is why I stated If. My guess is that Carolina is holding onto him more to hopefully get some draft capital off of him hoping he is hired as a HC at some point. Normally I'd lean more towards thinking a team really likes a coach, but with the owner of Carolina, he seems like a piece of work so, I tend to stray for a more negative motive.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why I stated If. My guess is that Carolina is holding onto him more to hopefully get some draft capital off of him hoping he is hired as a HC at some point. Normally I'd lean more towards thinking a team really likes a coach, but with the owner of Carolina, he seems like a piece of work so, I tend to stray for a more negative motive.
Most teams won't let a guy take a lateral move unless they no longer want him around. Usually they'll sweeten the pot money-wise to keep them, but if you want them bad enough, you have to pony up something they're willing to take to accept the loss.

In this case, it's team's asking to talk to him, them saying no, and him just doing his job, waiting to see what happens. But, rest assured, there's more money for him or he's not going to renew his contract.

He makes good money. $3 mill on his contract for this upcoming year, then he's free to do whatever he wants.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. Absolutely.

You wanna go with the statistical argument and form your narrative around that, be my guest, but the eyes don't lie.

This was a historically relevant defense with many things in their favor allowing scores on two clock draining drives on two opening possessions.

The Ravens couldn't get stops when they needed to, and they unraveled mentally and emotionally when the offensive side unraveled themselves.

Anyone watching the game could see the defense was overwhelmed and they were exposed.

Mahomes managed the game during the 2nd half, and the Ravens couldn't generate consistent pressure with a backup left guard, and two average tackles.
Mahomes dinked and dunked them on the first half drives aided by a couple of good scrambles and a few key Baltimore penalties. Mahomes went left, right and up the middle on his short passes. I guess I didn't see anything that led me to believe that Baltimore's defense was egregiously bad. Reid and Mahomes took what they could get and Kelce made a couple great catches along the way.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care who Lafleur hires as long as the guy knows how to get his defense to finish games. This team lost 3 or 4 games that were winnable because of Barry's crap play calling at the end of games. This team could have easily won 12 or 13 games. I hope they get a guy that brings juice to that side.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't care who Lafleur hires as long as the guy knows how to get his defense to finish games. This team lost 3 or 4 games that were winnable because of Barry's crap play calling at the end of games. This team could have easily won 12 or 13 games. I hope they get a guy that brings juice to that side.

I just hope that he hires someone with a varied background who knows how to teach and adapt. I don’t want someone married to a system.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most teams won't let a guy take a lateral move unless they no longer want him around. Usually they'll sweeten the pot money-wise to keep them, but if you want them bad enough, you have to pony up something they're willing to take to accept the loss.

In this case, it's team's asking to talk to him, them saying no, and him just doing his job, waiting to see what happens. But, rest assured, there's more money for him or he's not going to renew his contract.
IMO, teams should not be allowed to block lateral moves by an OC or DC if they hire someone from the outside for HC.

The fact that Evero interviewed for the Panthers HC position but was turned down should be a consideration. And, as others said, it's a terrible look for Carolina.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, teams should not be allowed to block lateral moves by an OC or DC if they hire someone from the outside for HC.

The fact that Evero interviewed for the Panthers HC position but was turned down should be a consideration. And, as others said, it's a terrible look for Carolina.
Yeah but they are under contract

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle just hired Mike McDonald. Wilson and Orr could both be off the board.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm reminded of an old story, kind of religious based. There was a flood, and a guy had to move up to the second floor of his home because of high water. A boat came along and offered him a ride. He said; "No Thanks! The Lord will take care of me."

A few hours later, he had to abandon the second floor and was standing on the roof. A second boat came along, and said they could save him. Once again, he thanked them, but said the Lord would save him.

A couple of hours later, the waters had risen and he was about to be swept off the roof by the current. He looked to the Heavens and asked; "Dear Lord why don't you rescue me?" Out of the Heavens, a voice said; "You dumba**! I sent two boats and you wouldn't get on board.

Eventually you can't save yourself if the good options are already gone. Let's hope the Packers aren't "over-thinking" the choice of candidates, and end up getting scraps.

But, that's just an analogy, or is it?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eventually you can't save yourself if the good options are already gone. Let's hope the Packers aren't "over-thinking" the choice of candidates, and end up getting scraps.

But, that's just an analogy, or is it?

They really can't win. They hire too fast and people will claim they didn't look around. Hire too slow and people will say they are over thinking everything and slow to react.

It takes 2. Packers need to offer and person needs to accept. Maybe Babich was their guy, but he stayed with Buffalo. Maybe Orr/Wilson are their guy and maybe those 2 will stay in Baltimore as a DC or follow MacDonald. Evero high on their list but Carolina isn't allowing him to move. Possible the top 4-5 guys they want decided to personally go a different direction or aren't allowed. They might get their 6th preferred guy. Everything isn't always the Packers fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts