Packers vs Panthers Game Thread: Merry Christmas Edition

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's so bad that he's consistently making them look bad, or how about having a mini revolution? How about they screw it I'm going to play the game the way it should be played.

Because they are professionals and if they are released/free agents, its not a good look to go.. "Eh, I didn't agree with coach so I did what I wanted to save my career" when looking for your next team.

As for saying something to MLF, maybe they have.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are these guys pros or on their first year in Pop Warner? You can't tackle, get off blocks, or get your *** physically kicked over and over again aint on the coaches
If they couldn't do those things they wouldn't be in the NFL at all. Here's the thing. The NFL is NOT Pop Warner. Learning does NOT stop when you finish your college career. The NFL is a very different game and position coaches are put in place to TEACH. I figured you would know this.

Reaction score
I’m just exhausted from complaining about our Defense. I’m 90% sure Matt was already moving on from Barry. I think he just didn't have any better answers for 3 games. Also I understand being respectful, but this “end of season” D regression is getting egregious.
1,200+ yards given up across the last 3 games. At some point anything is better than 400 yards per game. We should’ve lost this game if not for Love/Jones imo.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Are these guys pros or on their first year in Pop Warner? You can't tackle, get off blocks, or get your *** physically kicked over and over again aint on the coaches
It could be cant stand the coach so effort is half @ssed?

Not saying that is true, but it could be for a few players

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He calls the same crap every week and other teams know exactly what he's going to do. He loathes M2M coverage even though that's what we should be doing more of.
This is probably where we share the most frustration. You've got a system / scheme that is obviously horrible and doesn't work at all. Yet there are no adjustments at all ever. How does an NFL coordinator first off come up with such a bad scheme, but even worse stick with it week after week after week?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could be cant stand the coach so effort is half @ssed?

Not saying that is true, but it could be for a few players
If you're talking about JB, you're right. They have no leader on D. They don't communicate and no one holds them accountable. Results are predictable. MLF isn't that far behind, but as OC, he's doing well. As HC? Not so much.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably where we share the most frustration. You've got a system / scheme that is obviously horrible and doesn't work at all. Yet there are no adjustments at all ever. How does an NFL coordinator first off come up with such a bad scheme, but even worse stick with it week after week after week?
And why was he allowed to stick with it week after week? It seemed like MLF forced some changes yesterday, but that was too little too late, and probably just caused conversion. These guys haven't been playing man coverage all year.

Barry certainly needs to go (he needed to go last Monday), and MLF will be next up on the hot seat. He's a glorified OC with little to no control over D and STs. That's not good enough.

Best example - MLF chewing out Wyatt earlier in the game for some mistake, then they hug. And then in Q4, Wyatt needlessly and literally piles on for a 15 yard penalty. No leadership, no discipline.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And why was he allowed to stick with it week after week? It seemed like MLF forced some changes yesterday, but that was too little too late, and probably just caused conversion. These guys haven't been playing man coverage all year.

Barry certainly needs to go (he needed to go last Monday), and MLF will be next up on the hot seat. He's a glorified OC with little to no control over D and STs. That's not good enough.

Best example - MLF chewing out Wyatt earlier in the game for some mistake, then they hug. And then in Q4, Wyatt needlessly and literally piles on for a 15 yard penalty. No leadership, no discipline.
Have you ever yelled at someone and then said sorry? Or hugged or shook hands?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another cheerleader coach for MLF...agreed he should and will be next. Alexander needs to learn how to tackle also. LOL. I am really liking the potential on offense. Switch to a 4-3 and find a new staff to guide it. Everyone suggesting that the players have quit on the coach that plays zone constantly - stop making sense!!!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you ever yelled at someone and then said sorry? Or hugged or shook hands?
Sure, and I get that part of it. I don't get Wyatt making another boneheaded play after getting a public forgiveness hug earlier. It's just an example that things aren't sinking in with some of these guys.

To your point, it's ok to mess up and sincerely apologize, and to forgive. It gets harder when it keeps happening. But hey, Quay Walker hasn't been ejected so far this year, so guys can learn. Sometimes it takes a while.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another cheerleader coach for MLF...agreed he should and will be next. Alexander needs to learn how to tackle also. LOL. I am really liking the potential on offense. Switch to a 4-3 and find a new staff to guide it.
The offense has truly surprised me, in a good way. After a rocky start, Love is playing consistently good football and making much better decisions, and throws. The young receivers, injuries included, are amazing. The OL has played better than I expected and only needs serious help at LT and C (OK, and always depth.....).

But the O is fun to watch. Ironic in a year when the D was expected to carry the load. So fix the DC problem, let that DC bring in some new coaches where needed and install some discipline.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, and I get that part of it. I don't get Wyatt making another boneheaded play after getting a public forgiveness hug earlier. It's just an example that things aren't sinking in with some of these guys.

To your point, it's ok to mess up and sincerely apologize, and to forgive. It gets harder when it keeps happening. But hey, Quay Walker hasn't been ejected so far this year, so guys can learn. Sometimes it takes a while.
I don't think it was a bad play. He was diving in to get a fumble

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, JB's gameplan for Panthers ended up playing man coverage on 2/3 of snaps and zone on 1/3. Direct opposite of his normal scheme which is 2/3 zone, 1/3 man. Just as (in)effective as prior game schemes, but the attempt to "change it up" was there. It just didn't work out.

Second, did anyone notice a new individual on Packers sideline this week? Bright yellow hoodie, holding up numbered signs to the defense? (I saw a sign with "11" on it.)

I am not a JB apologist. He needs to go. But I lost my job a few months ago, and I refuse to call for "firing" anyone right now. But, the sad truth is there were attempts to change things for the better, but met with the same poor result. Just glad the offense and Jordan Love are good enough to pick up the slack.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, JB's gameplan for Panthers ended up playing man coverage on 2/3 of snaps and zone on 1/3. Direct opposite of his normal scheme which is 2/3 zone, 1/3 man. Just as (in)effective as prior game schemes, but the attempt to "change it up" was there. It just didn't work out.

Second, did anyone notice a new individual on Packers sideline this week? Bright yellow hoodie, holding up numbered signs to the defense? (I saw a sign with "11" on it.)

I am not a JB apologist. He needs to go. But I lost my job a few months ago, and I refuse to call for "firing" anyone right now. But, the sad truth is there were attempts to change things for the better, but met with the same poor result. Just glad the offense and Jordan Love are good enough to pick up the slack.
Good points and sorry about your job.

And yeah, there was an attempt to change things up. I’m not complaining about that and that itself could’ve caused some confusion.

I won’t apologize for Barry either and he’s gone. My concern is the lack of effort by the players. Can’t say I blame them, but you can’t tell they’re in a playoff race looking at the guys. They should have enough individual pride to play with some intensity and purpose. Just don’t see it.

But I didn’t see a 7-9 win season either. The offense has progressed very well indeed.

Still need a LT and ideally, a better C. Those can be fixed in the draft. The D needs secondary help, starting at S. What they really need is a leader. That will change too.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points and sorry about your job.

And yeah, there was an attempt to change things up. I’m not complaining about that and that itself could’ve caused some confusion.

I won’t apologize for Barry either and he’s gone. My concern is the lack of effort by the players. Can’t say I blame them, but you can’t tell they’re in a playoff race looking at the guys. They should have enough individual pride to play with some intensity and purpose. Just don’t see it.

But I didn’t see a 7-9 win season either. The offense has progressed very well indeed.

Still need a LT and ideally, a better C. Those can be fixed in the draft. The D needs secondary help, starting at S. What they really need is a leader. That will change too.
Thanks! I believe things happen to people for a reason, whether it's to me or Joe Barry or whoever...

We agree on a lot. I think most of us, prior to the season, would have agreed 7 wins for the entire season was a plausible outcome. I hope (and think) Rasheed Walker will maintain his stable play at LT. Regarding Myers at C, it would have been real easy to move Zach Tom to C, where he played in college. But, they resisted doing it, Myers improved a bit, and center is stable and mediocre where before it was just not good.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts