It’s now OFFICIAL!!! Rodgers has been traded to the Jets.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He understood. He was a Packer at the time when Rodgers had a plethora which including Driver, Jennings, Finley, Nelson, and Cobb along with Starks, Grant, and Kuhn. So he knew you cannot keep all those players. It becomes a numbers game.
Yeah I never heard or read about JJ being upset that he was cut, or that he was cut for another guy - although that had to be the case. JJ was and is a classy guy and a real Packer.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeah I never heard or read about JJ being upset that he was cut, or that he was cut for another guy - although that had to be the case. JJ was and is a classy guy and a real Packer.
He was never cut, he just wasn't resigned in 2016 after he was brought back in 2015. The Giants cut him on final cut-downs, Jordy was out for the year, so the Packers decided to bring JJ back. Could he still play? Yup, he did pretty well for the Packers in his final season, but he also was playing with a QB that knew him very well too.

Reaction score
I LOVED James Jones, but I get why TT didn't resign him in 2016 and it was NOT because of Jeff Janus. It was because they had Jordy, Adams and Cobb already. Turns out those 3 had decent seasons too. They also had 3 very young WR's in 2nd year WR (at the time) Ty Montgomery, Geronimo Allison and Trevor Davis.

Would I have loved JJ for another year in 2016? Sure, but it wasn't completely wrong to not resign him. Yes, Ty, Geronimo and Trevor turned out to be dogs, but it wasn't Janis that kept him out of Green Bay.
I saw that interview also, Jones said something to the effect of Ted told him that he’d be stealing snaps from “the young guys”. That insider experience gave me great clarity on what I’ve always suspected. The Packers under TT were very much draft n develop and they weren’t keeping any older veterans like James because they’d overlap his projects.
James Jones is a class act. I love that guy, he’s intelligent and a consummate professional. I respect him like I do Leroy, he’s also a good dude.

Has anyone noticed!
GB 2-1 tied for 1st
Jets 1-2 last place! :tup:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was never cut, he just wasn't resigned in 2016 after he was brought back in 2015. The Giants cut him on final cut-downs, Jordy was out for the year, so the Packers decided to bring JJ back. Could he still play? Yup, he did pretty well for the Packers in his final season, but he also was playing with a QB that knew him very well too.
Thanks for the clarification Poker. Now I do remember. His contract had expired. And I think he was at the end anyway. Finally, he has done pretty well for himself post-NFL.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bit off-topic so I apologize in advance, but I have to wonder what Davante Adams is thinking right now...Part of his rationale for leaving the Pack was that Rodgers was getting old, and he wanted to play with a younger, talented QB.

Now's he is playing with 31-years-old Jimmy Garoppolo, who has an average NFL arm, instead of 24-year-old Jordan Love, who is still learning but appears to have a pretty good NFL arm.

One is ascending, one is descending.

Just a thought.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bit off-topic so I apologize in advance, but I have to wonder what Davante Adams is thinking right now...Part of his rationale for leaving the Pack was that Rodgers was getting old, and he wanted to play with a younger, talented QB.

Now's he is playing with 31-years-old Jimmy Garoppolo, who has an average NFL arm, instead of 24-year-old Jordan Love, who is still learning but appears to have a pretty good NFL arm.

One is ascending, one is descending.

Just a thought.
I didn't hear that one of the reasons Adams left was that he felt Rodgers was getting too old for him. I believe Adams went west because he was tired of living in GB and that the move to Vegas got him closer to home.

I'm not sure I believe that either. I think Adams was frustrated for some reason with GB's front office and wanted to get out.

Maybe someone else knows more, but I don't think his move had anything to do with Rodgers. If anything, he would have been reluctant to leave GB where he played with a HOF QB.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't hear that one of the reasons Adams left was that he felt Rodgers was getting too old for him. I believe Adams went west because he was tired of living in GB and that the move to Vegas got him closer to home.

I'm not sure I believe that either. I think Adams was frustrated for some reason with GB's front office and wanted to get out.

Maybe someone else knows more, but I don't think his move had anything to do with Rodgers. If anything, he would have been reluctant to leave GB where he played with a HOF QB.

That was part of it, as I understand:

Adams also cited Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers' looming retirement as a reason for his Green Bay departure. The 38-year-old Rodgers had his own issues with the franchise before eventually signing a new contract in the offseason.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams wanted out of GB, he got paid, he still is a great WR, end of story.
Adams claims that he wanted to be near his home turf where he had family and friends. In this day and age players make so much that sacrificing personal life for several years should not be a big deal. Rodgers home turf is by the other Bay but he grew to feel a part of the Tundra faithful. In the early years of the Lombardi era the Packers All-Pro TE was Ron Kramer. Ron's wife had been expecting and her family was in Michigan. She wanted to be there with the family. Ron asked Lombardi if a trade could be made. And Lombardi sent him to the Lions who had a clueless coach.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Adams claims that he wanted to be near his home turf where he had family and friends. In this day and age players make so much that sacrificing personal life for several years should not be a big deal. Rodgers home turf is by the other Bay but he grew to feel a part of the Tundra faithful. In the early years of the Lombardi era the Packers All-Pro TE was Ron Kramer. Ron's wife had been expecting and her family was in Michigan. She wanted to be there with the family. Ron asked Lombardi if a trade could be made. And Lombardi sent him to the Lions who had a clueless coach.
Everyone is different and what works for some, might not work for others. When you become one of the best at your position, you have a ton of leverage to get what you want. Is that good or bad? I guess it depends on who's perspective you are viewing it from? Aaron Jones seems to be accepting less money, to continue to play for the Packers. Why? Because it works for him.

I don't blame Davante for wanting to go somewhere else. He earned the right and had the Packers not complied, it would have been messy. Prior to the 2021 season, he and Rodgers posted about it being their last dance. I think both of them basically had 1 foot out the door that season. Not saying it effected their play, as much as it may have effected their mindset.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Perhaps he did but you have to wonder if he is entirely happy with that decision in hindsight. LV is a mess.
Would he love to be on a winning team? No doubt and he was making waves about things in the off season. That said, at the end of the day, he got a huge pay day, is close to his family and still playing like a top 5 WR in the NFL. I doubt he minds cashing the Raiders paychecks.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would he love to be on a winning team? No doubt and he was making waves about things in the off season. That said, at the end of the day, he got a huge pay day, is close to his family and still playing like a top 5 WR in the NFL. I doubt he minds cashing the Raiders paychecks.
I'm sure those checks are great but I would think after a while losing gets old.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps he did but you have to wonder if he is entirely happy with that decision in hindsight. LV is a mess.
Ah yes. Grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Wonder if he likes management over there better?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm sure those checks are great but I would think after a while losing gets old.
No doubt.

Davante played on some good teams in GB, as well as with one of the best QB's in the game. He has accomplished more than many and has more than enough money for 10 lifetimes as a result. I am guessing that being able to do more of this (pic below) trumps being on a winning team.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was part of it, as I understand:

Adams also cited Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers' looming retirement as a reason for his Green Bay departure. The 38-year-old Rodgers had his own issues with the franchise before eventually signing a new contract in the offseason.
Interesting. Thanks Curly. Seems like maybe Rodgers was serious about retiring, or at least serious enough to convince Adams.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt.

Davante played on some good teams in GB, as well as with one of the best QB's in the game. He has accomplished more than many and has more than enough money for 10 lifetimes as a result. I am guessing that being able to do more of this (pic below) trumps being on a winning team.

Yeah I think a big reason for his departure was to be closer to home. What we see in the picture is certainly worth more than all the SB wins in the world. Anyway, good for him. He was a quiet guy, an incredible WR, and a real Packer. I still miss him, but family comes first always.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of this. My only counter-point is that GB was also offering him a huge pay day, so IMO that part of it is not a factor.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt.

Even Randy Moss stated that he cherished the short time in NE where he made far less $$ than he did elsewhere.

Reaction score
As with most decisions, there were primary reasons and secondary reasons for Adams leaving. I think he had a little attitude about his things transpired with his buddy. #12 and #17 were in a semi-alliance and once Love was selected it was apparent Rodgers departure was imminent.
Obviously if Davante was leaving, Oakland was an obvious choice. M glad we didn’t spend $30mil annual ad Romeo Doubs ceiling might be close to Davante in a couple years and he’s $27mil less per season right now.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with most decisions, there were primary reasons and secondary reasons for Adams leaving. I think he had a little attitude about his things transpired with his buddy. #12 and #17 were in a semi-alliance and once Love was selected it was apparent Rodgers departure was imminent.
Obviously if Davante was leaving, Oakland was an obvious choice. M glad we didn’t spend $30mil annual ad Romeo Doubs ceiling might be close to Davante in a couple years and he’s $27mil less per season right now.
And since Oakland moved to Vegas Adams is not AS close to home as he would be in the Bay area. But he is nearer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with most of this. My only counter-point is that GB was also offering him a huge pay day, so IMO that part of it is not a factor.
Right, but that is part of my point. He was getting paid, no matter where he went. Thus, anyone saying that he only did it for the money, not correct.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams wanted to play on the same team as Carr. If anything is causing him to regret the move to LV, it’s that Carr is gone.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks Curly. Seems like maybe Rodgers was serious about retiring, or at least serious enough to convince Adams.

There were reports AR was leaning that way, prior to his "darkness retreat" I think the possibility of a trade and a new start energized him, something he needs now and then (as when GB fired Mike McCarthy).

While I'm sure being nearer to family was an important factor in Davante's decision to move on, I believe the uncertainty surrounding Rodgers was also a motivator. It's too bad for him that Carr forced his way out and left him with a declining talent in Jimmy G, but that's what happens sometimes...Greg Jennings wanted out of Green Bay too, would up playing with Christian Ponder. Eh.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were reports AR was leaning that way, prior to his "darkness retreat" I think the possibility of a trade and a new start energized him, something he needs now and then (as when GB fired Mike McCarthy).

While I'm sure being nearer to family was an important factor in Davante's decision to move on, I believe the uncertainty surrounding Rodgers was also a motivator. It's too bad for him that Carr forced his way out and left him with a declining talent in Jimmy G, but that's what happens sometimes...Greg Jennings wanted out of Green Bay too, would up playing with Christian Ponder. Eh.
Well Davante Adams has about 30 million reasons each year to be happy no matter where he plays. Even so, it's gotta be a slog to play on a team going nowhere. The season is very long, and that much longer when there is no playoff reward at the end. Oh well, he was clear about his decision.

Members online

Latest posts