Cut/Trade Candidates

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure that this happens to a lot of guys, and mostly in a positive way, once they get their game face on and block out everything else. In Burfict's case though, he had no guard rails, no ability to play within the rules of the game, and just plane decency/concern for others. I know it's football and it's a rough game, but a guy like Burfict could have seriously injured someone.
Aj Hawk on a Macafee show said he was one of the smartest teammates he ever played with...

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we don't do post-June1st cuts often....but to me DeVondre is about as likely as any candidate I can remember for one. I'd be peddling him to a team in the draft that is LB hungry and if no return is worth it, and we draft a guy or two we have quite a bit of belief in you cut him with the designation immediately following the draft.

We tend not to do it because our contract structures tend not to benefit from it. As you said, this could be the exception.

It looks to me like he hit the wall and is now going to be a journey man that's good for 8-10 games a season.

Reaction score
Wow! I am really surprised Devin White wasn't ever considered an excellent linebacker. He always seemed like an all pro against us.
Except for the time he got steamrolled by Dillon in the NFC Championship. It wasn’t his fault he came in behind another TB player and both got steamrolled together :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This has happened.

Being honest, I wouldn't despise it as he is 30, has played decent but not insanely well, but is a capable deep alignment safety still. I believe he is a better safety than Jonathan Owens I'll say that.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure that this happens to a lot of guys, and mostly in a positive way, once they get their game face on and block out everything else. In Burfict's case though, he had no guard rails, no ability to play within the rules of the game, and just plane decency/concern for others. I know it's football and it's a rough game, but a guy like Burfict could have seriously injured someone.

For a while, I was a little concerned that Quay had some of that DNA, too. Nowhere near to the degree that Burfict did, because Burfict was like a character from some horror movie, but Quay lost control a number of times that first year, and still somewhat his second. Gave away a number of first downs, and Matt was frustrated as hell with him for a while. Hopefully he's put that behind him now and outgrown it.

And Burfict did hand out some injuries. Blew up that Steeler RB's ACL, created a number of concussions with "defenseless player" and helmet-to-helmet hits... he just wreaked havoc. That guy is a batshit crazy sociopath.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a while, I was a little concerned that Quay had some of that DNA, too. Nowhere near to the degree that Burfict did, because Burfict was like a character from some horror movie, but Quay lost control a number of times that first year, and still somewhat his second. Gave away a number of first downs, and Matt was frustrated as hell with him for a while. Hopefully he's put that behind him now and outgrown it.

And Burfict did hand out some injuries. Blew up that Steeler RB's ACL, created a number of concussions with "defenseless player" and helmet-to-helmet hits... he just wreaked havoc. That guy is a batshit crazy sociopath.
tell us how u really feel...wowzza

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Make that psychopath. He sure seemed to enjoy hurting people.

I'm concerned about Walker's presence as well. He's not a dirty player by any means, but he seems a bit confused at times and has made head-scratching decisions. He has the physical gifts. I hope I'm wrong and that he's just not been coached well. He could be a poor man's Micah Parsons if coached and used properly. I think he could be a great cover LB as well to break up slants and other slot routes.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man...more I think on this more I'd be willing if I'm Gute to send our 41st and 88th for Holland...I'd toss in our 7th if they'd chip in Baker or Long...Baker would cost $10M unless we could get him to agree to an extension possibly altering the 2024 hit. Dolphins get something for a LB they likely were getting nothing, get massive draft equity compared to compensatory pick for Holland they (in this scenario) won't be able to sign long term.

As I recall the Packers were very interested in drafting Holland

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man...more I think on this more I'd be willing if I'm Gute to send our 41st and 88th for Holland...I'd toss in our 7th if they'd chip in Baker or Long...Baker would cost $10M unless we could get him to agree to an extension possibly altering the 2024 hit. Dolphins get something for a LB they likely were getting nothing, get massive draft equity compared to compensatory pick for Holland they (in this scenario) won't be able to sign long term.
How much time does Holland have on his current contract? This seems like a lot of draft capital to give up and I guess on principle I'm opposed to that.

I don't know enough about Holland either. The Packers will likely use their first round pick on a S anyway. I respect your opinion - is what you propose really worth it what are the potential downsides? Thanks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much time does Holland have on his current contract? This seems like a lot of draft capital to give up and I guess on principle I'm opposed to that.

I don't know enough about Holland either. The Packers will likely use their first round pick on a S anyway. I respect your opinion - is what you propose really worth it what are the potential downsides? Thanks.

He is into his final year, dude would arguably be our best safety to wear a jersey since Nick Collins IMO instantly

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is into his final year, dude would arguably be our best safety to wear a jersey since Nick Collins IMO instantly
Wow that good, eh? Well I trust your judgement and it might be worth the draft capital. I'm guessing they could get him with their first pick in the second round, especially given the Dolphins' cap situation. That would probably be the first offer and it can be negotiated if needed. But if he is as good as Nick Collins, and after so many years of frustration at filling the S position, who knows?

The team is pretty solid already, but certainly not at S. And I think the new DC uses a single high safety a lot. So hey, why not? Thanks for the info. Certainly something to follow next month when FA starts.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I find it difficult to wrap my head around this business of Gutekunst being willing to send 2 draft picks off for a player.
Possibly if his board didn't look good and traded out of the first round to get back at least one of those lost picks?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This has happened.

Being honest, I wouldn't despise it as he is 30, has played decent but not insanely well, but is a capable deep alignment safety still. I believe he is a better safety than Jonathan Owens I'll say that.
I would definitely take Jackson over Owens but only if it was for similar money AND Jackson is a good on the field/locker room kind of guy. The last thing a young team needs is veteran cancer. On the other hand, if he is a leader and motivator, he might be just what the Packers need in the secondary. I also wouldn't sign him and mark off the position as being taken care of. Gute should still go ahead and address the position early in the draft, as well as mid-draft.

Also, I would weigh Jacksons value and cost against retaining Savage. With Savage, the Packers know pretty much what they are getting.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it difficult to wrap my head around this business of Gutekunst being willing to send 2 draft picks off for a player.
Possibly if his board didn't look good and traded out of the first round to get back at least one of those lost picks?
Same reaction. It comes down to value. I don't think a guy with a year left on his contract is worth two second round picks. Then again, I don't know the player and maybe that is what he's worth. In addition to the draft and FA, Ty raises the interesting possibility of a trade(s) to improve the team.

I think LB is an area of need. Campbell will not be back, leaving Walker and McDuffie. So an infusion of talent at that position is warranted. FA should provide an immediate upgrade versus the draft. Well that's the theory. Gluten'strack record in FA has been pretty good.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same reaction. It comes down to value. I don't think a guy with a year left on his contract is worth two second round picks. Then again, I don't know the player and maybe that is what he's worth. In addition to the draft and FA, Ty raises the interesting possibility of a trade(s) to improve the team.

Same here. Not a big fan of giving up that much draft capital to then have to pay him a ton of money. Might as well keep the picks and try for Winfield if going to spend.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same here. Not a big fan of giving up that much draft capital to then have to pay him a ton of money. Might as well keep the picks and try for Winfield if going to spend.
Almost by definition, FAs are overpaid. It's a question of by how much, how good are they, and how long will they still be playing.

Gluten has a pretty good track record now of finding guys in FA. I much prefer a FA who has at least another two contracts left. Otherwise GMs are mostly paying for past performance.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just playing in the league 65-85 years too late.
LOL. My dear old Dad, RIP, played HS football in the 30s. Their helmets consisted of thick leather, and nothing else. No face guards, mouth guards, gloves, sideline heaters. They did wear pads. Fortunately, he came out of it with all of his teeth intact. He lived to 77 in spite of a two pack a day Pall Mall Reds straight habit - from age 14.

But yeah, football was way different 65-85 years ago.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmost by definition, FAs are overpaid. It's a question of by how much, how good are they, and how long will they still be playing.

That's fine, don't care on monetary cost if their plans consist of going into the FA pool for a safety, I'm just not a big fan on spending draft capital prior. I don't go to a restaurant to spend $200 on a dinner and have them take my watch for the right to spend money 1st.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you find the free agent that you want and you pay him; then you have your options on who to take in the draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's fine, don't care on monetary cost if their plans consist of going into the FA pool for a safety, I'm just not a big fan on spending draft capital prior. I don't go to a restaurant to spend $200 on a dinner and have them take my watch for the right to spend money 1st.
There's no reason to trade for a FA. Well I can't think of any. But yeah trading draft capital to get a guy with one year left on his deal doesn't make sense to me, unless they can work out an extension before pulling the trigger.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you find the free agent that you want and you pay him; then you have your options on who to take in the draft.
Exactly. And given the trouble Gluten has had with drafting safeties, it may be better if there is a solid FA available, and still early in his career.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a draft chart value of a low 1st-rounder, too. Seems pretty steep.

Again you are calling the Dolphins and discussing Holland given their cap situation and a lot of future contracts they’re gonna have to start doing and others extending or cutting.

If they don’t think Holland is gonna be in long term, you can get them way more than they’d get in compensatory and get it to them now rather than two drafts away.

I think one thing Gute has proven is he will do things necessary to make team better…in past that was big spending on Turner, Amos and the Smiths…then was financing the future to keep guys Rodgers wanted here…he will follow his draft board for the future even if not the best for the now.

Swinging big on a trade like Holland would be just another example of this in a way he hasn’t really. There isn’t a safety in this draft (even a DeJean to safety) that is what Holland is.

Latest posts