Cut/Trade Candidates

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Now that the boring crap is over, it's time to turn our attention to the Packers' offseason and its various opportunities for improvement.

Free Agency will kick off in a few weeks. Several of the top players currently slated to hit the market will end up getting re-signed or tagged by their current clubs. But other players will get released and could be interesting options for GB. Others might be available via trade.

I've done my best to pull together some possible cuts and trades, focusing primarily on the Packers' key needs as I see them (RB, LB, CB, S). I'm sure I'm missing some good options, however.

Running Back:

-R. Mostert, Dolphins:
Mostert is about to turn 32 years old and has traditionally struggled to stay on the field. That said, he still has a lot of juice as a runner and the Dolphins might look to trade him for the cap savings because they are seriously up against it.

-N. Hines, Bills: Hines suffered a knee injury in a jetski incident in the off-season and missed all of 2023. The Bills are in serious cap trouble and could save 5M by releasing him. Hines is 27 and prior to missing this season, had become a really effective all-purpose back (rush, receiving, return).

Linebacker:

-J. Baker, Dolphins:
Baker has become a very viable linebacker for the Dolphins, however he is entering the last year of his contract and they can save ~10M against the cap by releasing him. He has background with Campanile, obviously.

-D. Long Jr, Dolphins: Same story as Baker, except that Long's low base salary (4.5M) makes him an attractive trade piece rather than a cut candidate.

-E. Kendricks, Chargers: Kendricks is nearly 32 yo, but he still showed some strong play in 2023; the cap-strapped Chargers would save 6.5M by releasing him.

-G. Pratt, Bengals: Pratt is 27 and a pretty solid linebacker on a decent contract, but the Bengals are going to need to keep their cap in order with Burrow's hits skyrocketing in 2025, Higgins coming due, and Chase not far behind. A trade wouldn't shock me.

Cornerback:

-R. Douglas, Bills:
The Bills are effectively 55M in the hole with regard to the 2024 cap and would save 9M free and clear if they release Rasul.

Safety:

-J. Holland, Dolphins:
Miami is effectively 59M in the hole with regard to the 2024 cap, which is why they keep coming up here. Holland would cost a lot of capital to acquire, but they may not see an extension for him in the cards.

-J. Simmons, Broncos: The Broncos also have cap problems and could save 14.5M by letting Simmons go.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the boring crap is over, it's time to turn our attention to the Packers' offseason and its various opportunities for improvement.

Free Agency will kick off in a few weeks. Several of the top players currently slated to hit the market will end up getting re-signed or tagged by their current clubs. But other players will get released and could be interesting options for GB. Others might be available via trade.

I've done my best to pull together some possible cuts and trades, focusing primarily on the Packers' key needs as I see them (RB, LB, CB, S). I'm sure I'm missing some good options, however.

Running Back:

-R. Mostert, Dolphins:
Mostert is about to turn 32 years old and has traditionally struggled to stay on the field. That said, he still has a lot of juice as a runner and the Dolphins might look to trade him for the cap savings because they are seriously up against it.

-N. Hines, Bills: Hines suffered a knee injury in a jetski incident in the off-season and missed all of 2023. The Bills are in serious cap trouble and could save 5M by releasing him. Hines is 27 and prior to missing this season, had become a really effective all-purpose back (rush, receiving, return).

Linebacker:

-J. Baker, Dolphins:
Baker has become a very viable linebacker for the Dolphins, however he is entering the last year of his contract and they can save ~10M against the cap by releasing him. He has background with Campanile, obviously.

-D. Long Jr, Dolphins: Same story as Baker, except that Long's low base salary (4.5M) makes him an attractive trade piece rather than a cut candidate.

-E. Kendricks, Chargers: Kendricks is nearly 32 yo, but he still showed some strong play in 2023; the cap-strapped Chargers would save 6.5M by releasing him.

-G. Pratt, Bengals: Pratt is 27 and a pretty solid linebacker on a decent contract, but the Bengals are going to need to keep their cap in order with Burrow's hits skyrocketing in 2025, Higgins coming due, and Chase not far behind. A trade wouldn't shock me.

Cornerback:

-R. Douglas, Bills:
The Bills are effectively 55M in the hole with regard to the 2024 cap and would save 9M free and clear if they release Rasul.

Safety:

-J. Holland, Dolphins:
Miami is effectively 59M in the hole with regard to the 2024 cap, which is why they keep coming up here. Holland would cost a lot of capital to acquire, but they may not see an extension for him in the cards.

-J. Simmons, Broncos: The Broncos also have cap problems and could save 14.5M by letting Simmons go.

Brother, the Baker one you read my stinking mind! Rumor is one of the many issues facing the Dolphins is how they're going to try and keep one of those two...I personally think they will have to let Baker walk and I'd embrace that one hundred percent...

So I tried doing a similar exercise and find a team that maybe I'd consider sending one of our extra 3rd or extra 2nd rounder for...

Holland was 100% on that list to consider. Dolphins are in desperate need of some cap resetting contracts and sometimes you make smart moves a year in advance that doesn't save you much now but a ton in the future...because truthfully if they don't see a route to sign Holland to a new contract you gotta get something now and a 2nd rounder is higher than any compensatory pick they'll get if he walks. For those maybe unfamiliar:

6'1' 210lbs
Drafted in 2021 in the second round out of Oregon. His RAS was 9.47u (his forty time and shuttle was unofficial).
Has started 41 of his possible 45 games he's been active since being drafted. Has 235 tackles, 4 FFs, 5 INTs and 4 sacks.
2021 he graded overall at 84.7 PFF, 2022 at 67.2 PFF and 2023 90.4 PFF. For the record folks Savage as good as he played this past year and his 2020 year, he has never broke 76 or higher.
Long story short he fits every bit of what GB likes and I think is capable of playing that high level safety play we need.

Question would be what would the Dolphins need for him...likelihood is any package would for sure start with one of our 2nd rounders. Would you need to send a 2nd and a 3rd for Holland and maybe a fifth back or such? If so is he worth that? Arguably yes...

Simmons - In all likelihood a step down for sure in ability, but he is for sure a starter in the NFL, has had 6 seasons out of his 8 over 70.0 graded and looking at his tackle efficiency and production in PBUs and INTs you'll notice quickly he is in there a ton. Majority of his snaps are in the FS spot but is very mobile all over guy with over 100 slot snaps every year but his rookie year, and over 200 Box snaps every year but rookie year. High RAS (9.24) guy in 2016 draft class was one of the best safeties (drafted in the 3rd). You don't trade for Simmons and is likely a cap cut coming for the Broncos as Dantes mentioned.

I'll toss one more out to add to discussion which is quite "odd" arguably...

Malik Hooker...this one is going to depend a TON on what staff thinks Malik could be in our system...but this 2017 First Round pick has never really latched on to that status and then tore his achilles in 2020. Dallas gave him a one year deal and he proved healthy and he then gave Cowboys a sweetheart deal on multiple year deal which runs 2022 through 2026 but is quite cap friendly. So the question here would be can you entice Jerry to trade Hooker for the draft capital and about a $4M cap savings....they are in the cap hole like Denver...but I don't know if the squeeze (draft capital) would be worth the juice (Hooker coming) that Jerry would demand. Oddly...his safety

Julian Love....Seahawks are not crazy hurting Cap wise, but Love could be a small cap casualty saving them around $5.7M...or could be a lower cost trade candidate that Seattle saves money and gets draft equity back while Green Bay gets a guy that proved he's possibly a long term solution with one year left (cost under $6M to us for 2024). Seattle already has Diggs and Adams with massive safety contracts...and honestly Diggs is possibly a cap cut saving them $11M which might mean they don't want to lose Love.

Diggs ^ Bonus mention...Diggs could be that lower level aged veteran who still was playing massive snap counts that Gute brings in if Seattle cuts him.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Brother, the Baker one you read my stinking mind! Rumor is one of the many issues facing the Dolphins is how they're going to try and keep one of those two...I personally think they will have to let Baker walk and I'd embrace that one hundred percent...

So I tried doing a similar exercise and find a team that maybe I'd consider sending one of our extra 3rd or extra 2nd rounder for...

Holland was 100% on that list to consider. Dolphins are in desperate need of some cap resetting contracts and sometimes you make smart moves a year in advance that doesn't save you much now but a ton in the future...because truthfully if they don't see a route to sign Holland to a new contract you gotta get something now and a 2nd rounder is higher than any compensatory pick they'll get if he walks. For those maybe unfamiliar:

6'1' 210lbs
Drafted in 2021 in the second round out of Oregon. His RAS was 9.47u (his forty time and shuttle was unofficial).
Has started 41 of his possible 45 games he's been active since being drafted. Has 235 tackles, 4 FFs, 5 INTs and 4 sacks.
2021 he graded overall at 84.7 PFF, 2022 at 67.2 PFF and 2023 90.4 PFF. For the record folks Savage as good as he played this past year and his 2020 year, he has never broke 76 or higher.
Long story short he fits every bit of what GB likes and I think is capable of playing that high level safety play we need.

Question would be what would the Dolphins need for him...likelihood is any package would for sure start with one of our 2nd rounders. Would you need to send a 2nd and a 3rd for Holland and maybe a fifth back or such? If so is he worth that? Arguably yes...

Simmons - In all likelihood a step down for sure in ability, but he is for sure a starter in the NFL, has had 6 seasons out of his 8 over 70.0 graded and looking at his tackle efficiency and production in PBUs and INTs you'll notice quickly he is in there a ton. Majority of his snaps are in the FS spot but is very mobile all over guy with over 100 slot snaps every year but his rookie year, and over 200 Box snaps every year but rookie year. High RAS (9.24) guy in 2016 draft class was one of the best safeties (drafted in the 3rd). You don't trade for Simmons and is likely a cap cut coming for the Broncos as Dantes mentioned.

Malik Hooker...this one is going to depend a TON on what staff thinks Malik could be in our system...but this 2017 First Round pick has never really latched on to that status and then tore his achilles in 2020. Dallas gave him a one year deal and he proved healthy and he then gave Cowboys a sweetheart deal on multiple year deal which runs 2022 through 2026 but is quite cap friendly. So the question here would be can you entice Jerry to trade Hooker for the draft capital and about a $4M cap savings....they are in the cap hole like Denver...but I don't know if the squeeze (draft capital) would be worth the juice (Hooker coming) that Jerry would demand. Oddly...his safety

Julian Love....Seahawks are not crazy hurting Cap wise, but Love could be a small cap casualty saving them around $5.7M...or could be a lower cost trade candidate that Seattle saves money and gets draft equity back while Green Bay gets a guy that proved he's possibly a long term solution with one year left (cost under $6M to us for 2024). Seattle already has Diggs and Adams with massive safety contracts...and honestly Diggs is possibly a cap cut saving them $11M which might mean they don't want to lose Love.

Diggs ^ Bonus mention...Diggs could be that lower level aged veteran who still was playing massive snap counts that Gute brings in if Seattle cuts him.

Holland would be a huge addition. He could alternate between safety and slot in big nickel.

I think you're right that the Dolphins are more likely to get rid of Baker than Long, which is a bummer because I think Long would fit what the Packers need better.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holland would be a huge addition. He could alternate between safety and slot in big nickel.

I think you're right that the Dolphins are more likely to get rid of Baker than Long, which is a bummer because I think Long would fit what the Packers need better.

Man...more I think on this more I'd be willing if I'm Gute to send our 41st and 88th for Holland...I'd toss in our 7th if they'd chip in Baker or Long...Baker would cost $10M unless we could get him to agree to an extension possibly altering the 2024 hit. Dolphins get something for a LB they likely were getting nothing, get massive draft equity compared to compensatory pick for Holland they (in this scenario) won't be able to sign long term.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

6'1' 210lbs

Ty do you know if Devin White from the Bucs is a FA? Always liked that guy. I'm guessing he's around 30 and won't come cheap.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty do you know if Devin White from the Bucs is a FA? Always liked that guy. I'm guessing he's around 30 and won't come cheap.

Both Devin White (30 yrs old) and Lavonte David (34 yrs old) are set to be FAs.

Both of those guys played a ton of snaps this past year....but truthfully David outplayed White in a big way to many people's opinion. Have a close Buccs friend who was really desiring they trade White if able early on and then after deadline he preferred they sit him....but then again he hated LSU and with that White :)

Devin White PFF graded out at only a 47.4 overall Defense...which shockingly is his best year yet.
LaVonte David graded out at 71.7 which since his rookie 2012 season was his 8th best (insanely good over his career)...you have to go back to 2016 before you find a worse season than this past season which is still far better than most.

I don't dislike the concept of a veteran type signing like David....it is a gamble though, the man is 34 years old and truthfully may still decide to retire. IF he doesn't I would bet he is chasing a chance at a SB...Chief type signing...not sure Packers would offer him the most attractive landing spot to a guy that has given TB all his years and doesn't really have anything left to prove.

Devin is Buccs worse version of AJ Hawk type draftee...5th overall pick and in many opinions has never really become what they hoped he would. Fresh start, fresh faces....new leaf breath new life into him? Quite possibly...the issue is I still think some team is going to be more than comfortable throwing the likes of $9-$11M a year at him despite IMO it being there. If David retires, TB could be the best case for Devin on a one year prove it deal...personally I'm passing the mixture of underwhelming play and attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy I really kinda like the idea of is Shaquille Leonard...the FA out of Philly by way of Indy.

HIGH HIGH snap count guy in Indy with tons of in the box middle play...that still at 28 likely has some juice left. A nerve injury stole his 2022 season from him...and he then saw his play lesson with Indy during the tricky and time consuming recovery of the back issue.

He proved this past year there is still a NFL player in there, and a lot of whether you sign Leonard is how hard has he continued to hit recovery this offseason and how does he feel? Truly feel. When he is playing at his best he was arguably a top10 maybe top6 ILB in the league. Philly has the space to sign him if that is a priority and since they gave him the chance this past year, they may have the inside betting track though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll put forth one more name, and one not many are likely familiar with that is also a FA...Anthony Walker Jr.

If you don't watch NFL film or pay attention to Browns football the name of this ILB that has really came into his own in Cleveland might be foreign to you.

In his three seasons since coming to CLV he has amassed 170 tackles in 27 starts of 28 games active. His 2022 season was stolen from him due to a quadricep injury....and he was the team's Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee (PACKER TYPE PERSON).

This past year when fully healed he started 12 games and then had a knee issue end his season before their playoff run. Wasn't a major knee operation, but he did have one. He's 28, high level play when he's been in with some injury issues. I could see Browns despite him being a captain letting him go...but they are really thin at his position so chances are they resign him...but if they don't I think there is a lot to like there and would be that perfect bargain veteran type signing possibly.

Browns running mate to Walker in Sione Takitaki is another FA from CLV I could see as a bargain level guy...that has shown promise. 4th rounder in 2019 he is older but still sub 30 at 29. Played 56.9% of their snaps this past year and started 6 games. Dude was possibly one of that defense's best down the stretch. If the Browns happen to let him walk, he won't break the bank, but is a guy that has shown now he has potential starting chops.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Devin White is 25 and he sucks. He has no instincts in the running game or in coverage. If you give him a target and tell him to go hit it fast, he can, which is why he’s been an effective blitzer. But if he has to read the action, key, and hit the right gap or zone, it’s a mess.

The Bucs benched him by the way. He had attitude problems and reportedly quit on his teammates.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devin White is 25 and he sucks. He has no instincts in the running game or in coverage. If you give him a target and tell him to go hit it fast, he can, which is why he’s been an effective blitzer. But if he has to read the action, key, and hit the right gap or zone, it’s a mess.

The Bucs benched him by the way. He had attitude problems and reportedly quit on his teammates.

I mean, other than that, would he be a fit for the Packers?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Devin White (30 yrs old) and Lavonte David (34 yrs old) are set to be FAs.

Both of those guys played a ton of snaps this past year....but truthfully David outplayed White in a big way to many people's opinion. Have a close Buccs friend who was really desiring they trade White if able early on and then after deadline he preferred they sit him....but then again he hated LSU and with that White :)

Devin White PFF graded out at only a 47.4 overall Defense...which shockingly is his best year yet.
LaVonte David graded out at 71.7 which since his rookie 2012 season was his 8th best (insanely good over his career)...you have to go back to 2016 before you find a worse season than this past season which is still far better than most.

I don't dislike the concept of a veteran type signing like David....it is a gamble though, the man is 34 years old and truthfully may still decide to retire. IF he doesn't I would bet he is chasing a chance at a SB...Chief type signing...not sure Packers would offer him the most attractive landing spot to a guy that has given TB all his years and doesn't really have anything left to prove.

Devin is Buccs worse version of AJ Hawk type draftee...5th overall pick and in many opinions has never really become what they hoped he would. Fresh start, fresh faces....new leaf breath new life into him? Quite possibly...the issue is I still think some team is going to be more than comfortable throwing the likes of $9-$11M a year at him despite IMO it being there. If David retires, TB could be the best case for Devin on a one year prove it deal...personally I'm passing the mixture of underwhelming play and attitude leaves a lot to be desired.
Thanks for the info. I was totally wrong about the guy. And I just don't think the Packers are gonna be interested in a 34 year old player.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks Dantes. He's gotta be older than 25 though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Date of birthFebruary 17, 1998
Thanks. Damn he must have come in to the NFL around 20. I thought he was well into his second contract. Anyway, thanks for the correction.

I finally looked him up on Wiki. Dude has a nasty past. When he was in HS he was arrested with another guy for having sex with a 14 y/o girl. Interesting LSU still accepted him. Of course they did.

Anyway, yeah take a pass on Devin.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we don't do post-June1st cuts often....but to me DeVondre is about as likely as any candidate I can remember for one. I'd be peddling him to a team in the draft that is LB hungry and if no return is worth it, and we draft a guy or two we have quite a bit of belief in you cut him with the designation immediately following the draft.

I'd be open with him, nagging injuries...aging whatever it was - chalk it to an off year if you want...either way I'd let him know we just don't believe the return your providing right now is anywhere near the pay we have to put forth for you. If you want to stay let's talk about reworking contract, otherwise this is what we feel is best.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks. Damn he must have come in to the NFL around 20. I thought he was well into his second contract. Anyway, thanks for the correction.

What I fail to understand is why in the heck did TB pick up his fifth year option like they did. ZERO play on the field showcased that was right call...like Dantes said, he is NOT a high IQ read and diagnose plays......his best time is when you literally provide him with one thought and say go. He's a dog attacking a squirrel in that situation.....a dog oblivious of the chain link fence the squirrel just ran through and that he's about to smash into but....damn can he chase that squirrel with the best of them. LOL

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I fail to understand is why in the heck did TB pick up his fifth year option like they did. ZERO play on the field showcased that was right call...like Dantes said, he is NOT a high IQ read and diagnose plays......his best time is when you literally provide him with one thought and say go. He's a dog attacking a squirrel in that situation.....a dog oblivious of the chain link fence the squirrel just ran through and that he's about to smash into but....damn can he chase that squirrel with the best of them. LOL
That's a very interesting analogy Ty. Seems like the guy is all power with no ability to make decisions. These guys are dangerous - in life and on a football field.

I'm thinking of that Bengal LB, I think his last name was Burfict. An incredible force with absolutely no ability to think. I recall he got two consecutive PF penalties in a playoff game, taking the team out of FG range and ensuring a loss. (That was way before the Burrow/Chase days.)

But that guy was like a rabid dog with no concern for the other player. Wonder what happened to him. Seriously, even dangerous animals have more discretion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a very interesting analogy Ty. Seems like the guy is all power with no ability to make decisions. These guys are dangerous - in life and on a football field.

I'm thinking of that Bengal LB, I think his last name was Burfict. An incredible force with absolutely no ability to think. I recall he got two consecutive PF penalties in a playoff game, taking the team out of FG range and ensuring a loss. (That was way before the Burrow/Chase days.)

But that guy was like a rabid dog with no concern for the other player. Wonder what happened to him. Seriously, even dangerous animals have more discretion.

Devin is a much nicer dog than Burfict was however....I reserve Burfict comps for the actual criminals on the field IMO. Burfict had like a broken fuse between the lines.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow! I am really surprised Devin White wasn't ever considered an excellent linebacker. He always seemed like an all pro against us.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow! I am really surprised Devin White wasn't ever considered an excellent linebacker. He always seemed like an all pro against us.

It's because he makes one or two splash big plays given his style each game...most folks don't remember the 30 snaps where you're in the wrong spot or didn't do your assignment right if you make one or two big splashes.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's because he makes one or two splash big plays given his style each game...most folks don't remember the 30 snaps where you're in the wrong spot or didn't do your assignment right if you make one or two big splashes.
The way we played offensive against them; it didn't seem like he created a lot of problems. At least against us. But he did make some splash plays.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devin is a much nicer dog than Burfict was however....I reserve Burfict comps for the actual criminals on the field IMO. Burfict had like a broken fuse between the lines.
Yeah that's how I remember Burfict as well. He was mean and stupid, a very dangerous combination in a guy that powerful. I think for his first penalty it was clear he was aiming, and hit, the player in the head - and he had a running start. He should have been ejected, he would have been in today's NFL. Just a nasty, nasty guy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that's how I remember Burfict as well. He was mean and stupid, a very dangerous combination in a guy that powerful. I think for his first penalty it was clear he was aiming, and hit, the player in the head - and he had a running start. He should have been ejected, he would have been in today's NFL. Just a nasty, nasty guy.

I've heard some of his teammates talk about him before, some in interviews and one I met in person and he was even more candid. Crazy thing is all of them spoke to how freaking football intelligent the guy was...but something else got flipped when that dude stepped on a field. The one guy told me, it was like all of a sudden at some point in warm ups Burfict would almost become a completely different person than the one in the locker room or such.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard some of his teammates talk about him before, some in interviews and one I met in person and he was even more candid. Crazy thing is all of them spoke to how freaking football intelligent the guy was...but something else got flipped when that dude stepped on a field. The one guy told me, it was like all of a sudden at some point in warm ups Burfict would almost become a completely different person than the one in the locker room or such.
Yeah I'm sure that this happens to a lot of guys, and mostly in a positive way, once they get their game face on and block out everything else. In Burfict's case though, he had no guard rails, no ability to play within the rules of the game, and just plane decency/concern for others. I know it's football and it's a rough game, but a guy like Burfict could have seriously injured someone.

Members online

Latest posts