Heatwave

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date
Reaction score
How is everybody coping with the heatwave in the U.S. at the moment ? Keep safe
We’re doing fine. There was a storm that cane through last month that knocked power out for like 250,000 people, but it barely missed us by like 20 miles. Those poor folks were without any power for up to 10 days with high 90’s temps.
I had a brand new HVAC unit installed last week. My compressor crapped out and instead of patching an older system I just went ahead and replaced the whole deal. I’m glad I did because the new one will freeze you out of the house when set at 71 degrees and I converted to natural gas which is cheaper. The Lord had me replace that with absolute perfect timing I couldn’t have planned it better.

It was 92 in N Texas yesterday so pretty mild but 100-103 for the next 5 days and then a cooler front comes through. Thanks for asking Buggs we might want to check on @Voyageur tho he’s like 6 hours South of me.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup! We're in the Austin area. It was about 95. Today it's 96. At our home, in the RGV, it's it's in the low 100s every day.

Reaction score
Yup! We're in the Austin area. It was about 95. Today it's 96. At our home, in the RGV, it's it's in the low 100s every day.
Oh ok. 4 hours away. I thought you were South of San Antone. It’s still darn hot !

When I first moved to TX I dated this girl that lived in Round Rock. She played football and she was the nicest looking girl every bit of 5’10”. She took me to Austin to Zilker park? and went swimming. Plus the Lake Austin nightlife and other hot spots. It was really fun but then I went and married a Rockwall gal. Something about Rocks I like :tup:

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh ok. 4 hours away. I thought you were South of San Antone. It’s still darn hot !

When I first moved to TX I dated this girl that lived in Round Rock. She played football and she was the nicest looking girl every bit of 5’10”. She took me to Austin to Zilker park? and went swimming. Plus the Lake Austin nightlife and other hot spots. It was really fun but then I went and married a Rockwall gal. Something about Rocks I like :tup:
We go back and forth between Weslaco, at the border, and Cedar Park. We came up to CP around the 15th of June, and will be heading back down to Weslaco around the middle of September. Then, back up here, to CP about the middle of November, and stay through the Holidays. Then we head South, in early January, and enjoy the warmth of the valley during the colder months.

Reaction score
We go back and forth between Weslaco, at the border, and Cedar Park. We came up to CP around the 15th of June, and will be heading back down to Weslaco around the middle of September. Then, back up here, to CP about the middle of November, and stay through the Holidays. Then we head South, in early January, and enjoy the warmth of the valley during the colder months.
Oh ok. My partner at work goes to South Padres on vacation about every other year I’ve never been (yet) but it sounds nice down there.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh ok. My partner at work goes to South Padres on vacation about every other year I’ve never been (yet) but it sounds nice down there.
Amazing area in the winter time. We live in a 55+ park, and the majority of the people are "Winter Texans," which is like a Florida Snowbird. We have constant entertainment, and activities, and really kept busy. It's a golf cart community, and we're out and about all the time, with something to do. In fact, we started as Winter Texans, and decided to call this our permanent home down here after both our Sons moved to the Austin area.

We love it.

Reaction score
Highs in the mid 70's today for Green Bay. Low to mid 80's for the rest of the week.
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/...9a83389d4fe6c1c1c22eea66e74400e2f01768de5ac8d

I work in a refrigerated facility. Lined pants, ski outfits & caps, electric vests are the norm. Production area is kept in the 40's.
Cool. Literally.
I’ll be up there soon. It’s unfortunate but my Aunts n Uncles are dropping like flies. My Uncle (95) in Madison just passed away last week. My Aunt in LaCrosse (92) just went in hospice. My Uncle in Winona (74) passed last year. I have a big family ((22) Aunts and Uncles combined)) is now 17 and dropping) and it seems like almost every year now I’m getting bad reports of health decline.
Time for a WI comeback tour very soon, my Cousin from Mansfield, TX she’s taking her shift this month visiting her Mom n Dad. I’m probably due to tag team in August.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
119 forecast

since 1st summer here I’ll say this

My wife and I are fine at 100. It isn’t that bad. No humidity at all.

when it gets to 105, it starts to be hot. I will take this over -20 and 24 inches of snow

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Once the pendulum swings back and we get some rain I'll be a happy guy. So dry where I'm at. The Northern parts of Wisconsin seem to be getting all the water.

My wife insists on mowing the straw that USED to be my front lawn.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once the pendulum swings back and we get some rain I'll be a happy guy. So dry where I'm at. The Northern parts of Wisconsin seem to be getting all the water.

My wife insists on mowing the straw that USED to be my front lawn.
about 2/3 of our lot is lower or shaded to a degree. Cutting has been slower, but still green and looks good all things considered. I have a little over half acre area that higher and full sun and is pretty cooked in spots especially where it reflects off the house and glass.

They broke our well when connecting to city sewer and it had to be capped. I still wonder if that was intentional or not. But no way i'm irrigating this much in this weather regardless and even less of an option paying public utility prices vs some electricity for the pump.

Last year I was cutting every 5 days thru June. This year I'm not sure if I cut more than 5 times in May/June/and so far July. I enjoy cutting, so this kind of sucks.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
about 2/3 of our lot is lower or shaded to a degree. Cutting has been slower, but still green and looks good all things considered. I have a little over half acre area that higher and full sun and is pretty cooked in spots especially where it reflects off the house and glass.

They broke our well when connecting to city sewer and it had to be capped. I still wonder if that was intentional or not. But no way i'm irrigating this much in this weather regardless and even less of an option paying public utility prices vs some electricity for the pump.

Last year I was cutting every 5 days thru June. This year I'm not sure if I cut more than 5 times in May/June/and so far July. I enjoy cutting, so this kind of sucks.
Early this spring, I was mowing every 3 days. I get home tonight and Momma mowed again - so bad for a lawn - I emptied the bagger and it was DUST .. grass dust.

Like you, I'm not watering the lawn. Watering the potted flowers, and there's a ton of them, is bad enough.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our gardener is only mowing our lawn about once very three to four weeks, unless we get at least two decent rains. The last thing I want is burnt grass.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Our gardener is only mowing our lawn about once very three to four weeks, unless we get at least two decent rains. The last thing I want is burnt grass.
I hear you, but it's too late for me. As I said, Momma would mow a parking lot if she thought it looked scraggly and I refused to cut it. Swear to gawd herself, that I'm going to have to pull out the spark plug. (If I did, she'd probably be pulling on the recoil for hours hell-bent on mowing that lawn, and she's not even a stubborn farm girl, go figure, but obsessed nonetheless... "Good for you, Hon." ;):unsure:

The sole consolation is that when it's like this, the only green in my front lawn is stuff that isn't supposed to be there - easier to identify and spray - odd....I'm talking about spraying and an ad for Roundup pops up to the right - what a co-winky-d1nk, eh? I have to say one thing, the flowers in the back garden (the planted stuff are perennials) and even the potted stuff, has taken off this year.

There IS a ray of hope for rain. Every year, once the EAA air show starts filling up, we get a couple of good ones - just to welcome all those fine folk to Wisconsin. It is just inevitable the campers are going to be swimming a couple of times.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does seem that way with the EAA LOL

My wife doesn't mow, and won't mow so I don't have to worry about that. And I cut long in the summer 4-4.5" anyway this time of year to help keep it green. But this year a lot of it browned out. Seems to be coming back recently, but mid 90's for next week? Ouch. Grass isn't going to like that. I won't either. Just in time to move though the good news I guess, we're not selling this house so we can take our time.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
odd....I'm talking about spraying and an ad for Roundup pops up to the right
You get ads? update your browser extensions. I get them only at work because I'm not in control there.

ETA: I recently changed internet providers. My old one used to locate me on the other side of the state for places that wanted locations such as local big box or restaurant. So I'd get some Minnesota ads. My new one for a short bit had me by Milwaukee but now these past two months I've "moved" to southern lower Michigan. My "local" Home Depot was in northern Ohio until I changed it to God's country.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Speaking of heatwave. I just read an article about the heat this year.

Death Valley (Mohave desert, California) reached 128 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s 2 degrees shy of the Record hottest recorded raw temperature on Earth (130 deg)

Phoenix, Arizona just had 19 days of 110+ degrees which broke their records.

China set their All-Time high at 126 Degrees.

Most impressive of all was the Persian Gulf. The article didn’t specify but I’m assuming it was on 7-18-23 there was a recorded heat index of 152 degrees there. It formerly peaked at 136 degrees, so that’s their record.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of heatwave. I just read an article about the heat this year.

Death Valley (Mohave desert, California) reached 128 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s 2 degrees shy of the Record hottest recorded raw temperature on Earth (130 deg)

Phoenix, Arizona just had 19 days of 110+ degrees which broke their records.

China set their All-Time high at 126 Degrees.

Most impressive of all was the Persian Gulf. The article didn’t specify but I’m assuming it was on 7-18-23 there was a recorded heat index of 152 degrees there. It formerly peaked at 136 degrees, so that’s their record.
I'm in Phoenix it will be at least 10 more days over 110

Members online

Latest posts