The Difference Is Palpable - Two Very Different Leaders...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was week 1...the Bears vs Packers was on the TV, our son was napping and my wife was over on the couch reading - I thought. She's got a thing for MLF so it's not surprising for her to pay some attention to the game but not a ton. Forget which specific play it was but Love and his target were clearly not on the same page and after the incomplete Love tapped his chest as if to say "on me". My wife said a short but poignant statement - "Well that's refreshing." I smiled and said yea, but it is early in the year and we are winning...let's see how he handles adversity and see what happens.

Week 2, a game where a LOT went wrong, a lot went right...but we ultimately came up short. Yet again...the wife who only half pays attention mentioned again how Love is a "nicer person" as she puts it.

Yesterday...week 3...man were there some ugly plays. One that sticks out in my head the most was the fourth down play that Love and Taylor thought two completely different things on that pass to the flat for an easy first down. In such a crucial moment, when the play is needed the most...I figured this is when we see Love snap some....but he didn't. Even though it was clearly Taylor that messed up, MLF's face staring at Taylor said it as the offense retreated to the sideline. Love didn't scream and yell and chew Taylor out...he did eventually connect with Taylor on the sideline as any good teammates will but Love had moved on.

I don't know where we wind up this year in the win and loss columns...with all these injuries and how young we are I'm shocked we are at 2-1 and should be 3-0 if I'm honest. Honestly, this season may end up with playoff aspirations but for me 2023 is all about seeing what we have, what major pieces does Gute have to build off of or not - biggest of which are QB and WR/TE groups. But there is an interesting thing which quietly is coming to the forefront of the conversation as well to me and that is just how different of a leader from behind center Love is vs Rodgers. Quiet, calm demeanor under pressure is something they both have...but at least in a short few games which have tested Love in various ways, he has illustrated that he is in no way the same guy as Rodgers when things fail. He isn't the scream and yell and demean a teammate who failed....

Now the why for sure is not something I'll pretend to know. BUT, having watched Love in college, liked the guy from a very young age, read up on his family history....bottom line is I think it just isn't the type of leader he likes to follow nor be as well. He sees immense value in his fellow man, and on the gridiron I think that is just intensified. If you're going to win the battle that is an NFL game, your fellow brothers in arms are needed not pushed away by discouragement. I think Love realizes this......now to be sure he isn't a Jay Cutler type either who is just going to pout and go sit and say nothing to a teammate (just as bad). Time and time again he's been seen talking with his teammates even if briefly after a miscommunications and I think he's even owned some mistakes of others because of his position on the team (taking on the burden of his role) in order for it to be put behind quicker.

It will be interesting to watch the evolution of Love and his leadership style...as he proves more and more hopefully that he is "that guy" does he feel it is more his role to be that 'coach' and 'chew' a guy out...or is this truly his leadership role style. I know the motive is the exact same for both leadership styles but having played tons of sports in my life I have always appreciated when the best player or the "leader by position" type guy had the mentality of I'm a guy at war with you guys, and I need you with me more than I need to let you know you're wrong. Good leaders are relentless with their expectations (no less than the Aaron Rodgers style) but are equally constant with their support in the moments of war.

I know Love is not likely to be as great of a pure QB as Rodgers, but I'm very curious to see if, even if just for a while, he gets more out of this group of young weapons and team in Green Bay in part due to what type of leader he is. There are multitude of different leadership styles, and most can be successful if the team buys into the leader and the leader earns their respect.

It is this different feeling at 1265 Lombardi Avenue that is possibly the #1 thing I've taken away from this very young season and new era....and I for one am all in on that feeling.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It was week 1...the Bears vs Packers was on the TV, our son was napping and my wife was over on the couch reading - I thought. She's got a thing for MLF so it's not surprising for her to pay some attention to the game but not a ton. Forget which specific play it was but Love and his target were clearly not on the same page and after the incomplete Love tapped his chest as if to say "on me". My wife said a short but poignant statement - "Well that's refreshing." I smiled and said yea, but it is early in the year and we are winning...let's see how he handles adversity and see what happens.

Week 2, a game where a LOT went wrong, a lot went right...but we ultimately came up short. Yet again...the wife who only half pays attention mentioned again how Love is a "nicer person" as she puts it.

Yesterday...week 3...man were there some ugly plays. One that sticks out in my head the most was the fourth down play that Love and Taylor thought two completely different things on that pass to the flat for an easy first down. In such a crucial moment, when the play is needed the most...I figured this is when we see Love snap some....but he didn't. Even though it was clearly Taylor that messed up, MLF's face staring at Taylor said it as the offense retreated to the sideline. Love didn't scream and yell and chew Taylor out...he did eventually connect with Taylor on the sideline as any good teammates will but Love had moved on.

I don't know where we wind up this year in the win and loss columns...with all these injuries and how young we are I'm shocked we are at 2-1 and should be 3-0 if I'm honest. Honestly, this season may end up with playoff aspirations but for me 2023 is all about seeing what we have, what major pieces does Gute have to build off of or not - biggest of which are QB and WR/TE groups. But there is an interesting thing which quietly is coming to the forefront of the conversation as well to me and that is just how different of a leader from behind center Love is vs Rodgers. Quiet, calm demeanor under pressure is something they both have...but at least in a short few games which have tested Love in various ways, he has illustrated that he is in no way the same guy as Rodgers when things fail. He isn't the scream and yell and demean a teammate who failed....

Now the why for sure is not something I'll pretend to know. BUT, having watched Love in college, liked the guy from a very young age, read up on his family history....bottom line is I think it just isn't the type of leader he likes to follow nor be as well. He sees immense value in his fellow man, and on the gridiron I think that is just intensified. If you're going to win the battle that is an NFL game, your fellow brothers in arms are needed not pushed away by discouragement. I think Love realizes this......now to be sure he isn't a Jay Cutler type either who is just going to pout and go sit and say nothing to a teammate (just as bad). Time and time again he's been seen talking with his teammates even if briefly after a miscommunications and I think he's even owned some mistakes of others because of his position on the team (taking on the burden of his role) in order for it to be put behind quicker.

It will be interesting to watch the evolution of Love and his leadership style...as he proves more and more hopefully that he is "that guy" does he feel it is more his role to be that 'coach' and 'chew' a guy out...or is this truly his leadership role style. I know the motive is the exact same for both leadership styles but having played tons of sports in my life I have always appreciated when the best player or the "leader by position" type guy had the mentality of I'm a guy at war with you guys, and I need you with me more than I need to let you know you're wrong. Good leaders are relentless with their expectations (no less than the Aaron Rodgers style) but are equally constant with their support in the moments of war.

I know Love very well won't be as great of a pure QB as Rodgers, but I'm very curious to see if even if just for a while he gets more out of this group of young weapons and team in Green Bay in part due to what type of leader he is. There are multitude of different leadership styles, and most can be successful for the leader if the team buys into the leader and the leader earns their respect.

There is a different feeling at 1265 Lombardi Avenue is possibly the #1 thing I've taken away from this very young season and new era....and I for one am all in on that feeling.
Great post! This season so far is so much more fun to watch for me. We we're getting so old, stale and difficult to watch. I love the new look and attitude this team has. I'm hoping the defense is all in on it. I'm admittedly a little concerned about a couple of those guys.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been impressed with Love for a lot of things, but most especially for his poise and leadership. Sorry NFL, but the Packers are going to have themselves yet another elite quarterback.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget which specific play it was but Love and his target were clearly not on the same page and after the incomplete Love tapped his chest as if to say "on me". My wife said a short but poignant statement - "Well that's refreshing."
One never knows when someone else will offer up insight that seems so small yet so important. Your wife deserves a beer!

For as much as I loved Rodgers and still do, his leadership style was one of many concerns that I shared with Gute and others. At the end of Favre's career in Green Bay, he felt too old and estranged from the rest of the team (remember his own locker room). Rodgers estranged himself from some of those younger guys by becoming a bit of a dictator. Who knows what Jordan will become if he gets to play that long for the Packers, but right now, as we watch these games, well isn't he refreshing....

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Biased view. People are recalling the recent ego driven old man Rodgers and forgetting the pre Super Bowl Rodgers (and Favre) who played with the same excitement and vigor with the player support that the current QB does. If JL10 is fortunate enough to have a long successful career, we'll see if he has the same 'tude 10 seasons from now when maybe 1 other player from this current team is still here.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biased view. People are recalling the recent ego driven old man Rodgers and forgetting the pre Super Bowl Rodgers (and Favre) who played with the same excitement and vigor with the player support that the current QB does. If JL10 is fortunate enough to have a long successful career, we'll see if he has the same 'tude 10 seasons from now when maybe 1 other player from this current team is still here.

Absolutely not - it is why in my write up I said, now the question is as I said:

"It will be interesting to watch the evolution of Love and his leadership style...as he proves more and more hopefully that he is "that guy" does he feel it is more his role to be that 'coach' and 'chew' a guy out...or is this truly his leadership role style."

formerlybis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how this might have gone if there would have been a star veteran WR on the team. As it is, the whole WR/TE crew is unestablished, and I would think therefore pretty inclined to be motivated followers of the guy who feeds them. No divas.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one area where Love is an upgrade from Rodgers may well be leadership. I don't really care at all who is the nicer guy, it's all about wins and losses. It's early, but so far I have no reason to be displeased.

ClutchLove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you nailed it here.

But remember Greg Jennings comment, "when Aaron became the man, he WAS "the man""

So we just have to wait and see

The big difference though is that Aaron played with guys like DD and Jennings - who were ALREADY pretty good players

Love is playing with Doubs and a TON of rookies.... so.... lol

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how this might have gone if there would have been a star veteran WR on the team. As it is, the whole WR/TE crew is unestablished, and I would think therefore pretty inclined to be motivated followers of the guy who feeds them. No divas.

I was thinking about the youth of our team the other day. Almost all of his receivers whether WR or TE have been with the team for less time than Love has, except for Deguara who was drafted the same year. I don't think this was by chance. I think it was intentionally planned out this way so that Love would have no one to answer to on offense and ensuring that HE would be the true leader from day one.

Reaction score
Things will obviously change over time as we all do. However, we can enjoy the fresh new start. The fun part is It’s not just QB that we are young at. We are young at wide receiver and TE. Not to mention, we’re about to be relatively young on offensive Line once Bak exits the stage. We are possibly 1 more dynamic WR and 1-2 more upgrades on OL from greatness. Obviously these young players need another year or two together to gain experience. We gave the most important component at minimum.
A really good QB

I suspect we aren’t far now away from coming to a full realization of how great a value a #26 overall draft pick Love was. If he keeps playing like this and eventually slightly better? We will all understand why Gutenkunst had a boyish grin on his face moving up to get Jordan.

Brett and Aaron were completely different players, but both had success. Jordan is actually looking like a mixture of both those guys, but with a more humble demeanor. God loves humble and I think deep down we all respect humility. There’s nothing more dangerous than a quiet strength.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But remember Greg Jennings comment, "when Aaron became the man, he WAS "the man""
What? I thought all Jennings did was spread jealous hate about Rodgers, according to some.

The other thing that may be better about Love is he is more willing to throw to any receiver than Rodgers was.

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually think it’s very cool, how the whole team is rallying behind Love, D and O. Seems like everyone cheers for him and wants to help him out. Says all you need to know about his leadership!

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll catch a lot of crap for saying it and obviously I don’t care. I pegged Rodgers as an egotistical **** from thr beginning. The last 3 or 4 years were sickening as it became all about “why are the Green Bay Packers ******** poor me/Aaron Rodgers”. Obviously a great regular season QB tho imo overated as far as his standing amongst the greats. It’s fun to be a Packer fan again!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year most Packers fans were in the dumps. The season wasn't going well and we could feel that it was the end for Rodgers. At the Packers/Vikings game at Lambeau, everybody was still having fun. I wasn't watching the games in the 70s but I was in the 80s and we still had fun, even though the team generally lost. I definitely agree that it became a hell of a lot more fun once Bert came around.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
It has been a while on this forum for me, but I came here to say this. I loved Aaron Rodgers the football player. Watching him throw the football is memorizing. When things are good, they are great. While Jordan Love is still growing in terms of accuracy and controlling the game (i.e. using the wrong signal to go for it on 4th and 1 against the Falcons), something I see in Love, that has been confirmed by many of the players in the locker room is that he forgives himself and stays "cool as a cucumber." That is something we did not see with Rodgers. He would force things to players he trusted and ignore the ones that are open as they had dropped a pass earlier in the game. I really like what I am seeing from our young QB and am excited to watch a different style of Packers football.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know Love is not likely to be as great of a pure QB as Rodgers, but I'm very curious to see if, even if just for a while, he gets more out of this group of young weapons and team in Green Bay in part due to what type of leader he is. There are multitude of different leadership styles, and most can be successful if the team buys into the leader and the leader earns their respect.

It is this different feeling at 1265 Lombardi Avenue that is possibly the #1 thing I've taken away from this very young season and new era....and I for one am all in on that feeling.
Only one comment because I really agree with you. But my recollection was that Rodgers started out fairly humble and then started believing that he could do no wrong.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only one comment because I really agree with you. But my recollection was that Rodgers started out fairly humble and then started believing that he could do no wrong.

Yup which is why I eluded to we have to wait and see...I'd say it really was only in the last five to six years I truly started not enjoying anything outside his qb play (which was crazy good). It really heated up to the point I just was over liking him outside of serving as my team's QB in the last four or so.

Members online

Latest posts