Creating Draft Legacy Picks

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Was thinking about this scenario. Want your opinion without calling me an imbecile.

What if Gutekunst shopped some of his bottom of the roster guys post-draft and again during preseason for 2025 draft picks and with compensatory picks ended up with 11-12 picks again. Plus, decided to trade his 6th round pick this year for a 5th in 25. Now he has created 1 legacy pick that could be shopped for a 4th rounder in 26. Plus he could possibly trade a 2025 sixth and seventh rounder for a 2026 fifth and 2027 sixth. And continue each draft by now trading back a year with these 3 legacy picks, each year moving up 1 round until by 2028 he would have an extra second, third and fourth round pick without any perceived damage to the roster health.

What say you?

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Too early to tell. Right now losses have a slim lead over gains on the scoreboard.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Want your opinion without calling me an imbecile
Calling you an imbecile is just a perk. ;)

The Bears are in that position now with the 1st pick. They may get lucky again trading it to a team that doesn't do well next season. They could easily get back a top 10 this year plus 1st rounds next season or two plus some extra day 2/3 picks. Don't understand why they don't trade down with one of their top 10s a few spots at a time until they end up with half a dozen extra day 2 picks and take an entire OL. Especially if they think Justin is the guy.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling you an imbecile is just a perk. ;)

The Bears are in that position now with the 1st pick. They may get lucky again trading it to a team that doesn't do well next season. They could easily get back a top 10 this year plus 1st rounds next season or two plus some extra day 2/3 picks. Don't understand why they don't trade down with one of their top 10s a few spots at a time until they end up with half a dozen extra day 2 picks and take an entire OL. Especially if they think Justin is the guy.
I don't think they think Justin is their guy.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to tell. Right now losses have a slim lead over gains on the scoreboard.
I have not seen the numbers but I would be surprised if Owens will qualify for a comp pick. So it is a wash as of now. IMO Nijman is the only possibility left.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading for Allen would lend support to this.

If they were going to keep Fields I think its likely they would have tried to nab either Harrison, Odunze or Nabers.

They will take Williams at #1 and that would probably put them out of the running for either of the top three at #9. They needed another WR and they went out and got one.

I think they only have 4 picks now that they gave up one for Allen. I could easily see a trade down from #9. They could get a bunch back if they traded the #1 though.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that deep down, they think Fields is just the guy they're stuck with. And they have no idea how to resolve that problem.

The guy's been just a curse for Chicago for years, and a blessing for Green Bay. Every single year, he seems to find a new way to hold the franchise back and sabotage their best opportunities for moving forward.

God, what a dysfunctional mess that team is.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If they were going to keep Fields I think its likely they would have tried to nab either Harrison, Odunze or Nabers.
But what are their options for Fields? Where is the market for him? And what would they possibly get for him? I don't see the value as trade bait.

I think they only have 4 picks now that they gave up one for Allen. I could easily see a trade down from #9. They could get a bunch back if they traded the #1 though.
Yes, 4 picks. 2 1sts, a mid-3rd, and a late 4th. About 20% of what they need tp rebuild that team.

Whatever QB they may draft in the 1st is going to get Andrew Lucked by that mediocre O line.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But what are their options for Fields? Where is the market for him? And what would they possibly get for him? I don't see the value as trade bait.

Yes, 4 picks. 2 1sts, a mid-3rd, and a late 4th. About 20% of what they need tp rebuild that team.

Whatever QB they may draft in the 1st is going to get Andrew Lucked by that mediocre O line.
Oh, I agree. With all the QB movement so far it seems like the market has gone real dry. The question is how bad do they want to trade him and how low are they willing to go. Personally, If I were making the decisions, I'd keep Fields. Trade the #1 pick, still try to draft a top 3 WR but if not the draft is deep and load up elsewhere. Like you said with 4 picks, and if we assume one will be a QB, that doesn't leave much ammo for rebuilding. They have 8 picks in 2025. Trading the #1 might get them a couple more in addition to a several more high ones this year.

I think Poles has done a fairly good job so far in bolstering a team that needs a lot of help. They got Allen, Swift, and Byard. locked up Johnson and signed some OL depth. That might not sound like a lot for a team that had what? 80 million in cap space but everyone knows they are not going to rebuild in one year.

overall I'd say he has done a better job so far this offseason than the vikings or Lions. Unfortunately for him none of it will matter if he messes up the QB situation.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

They will take Williams at #1 and that would probably put them out of the running for either of the top three at #9. They needed another WR and they went out and got one.

Three WR's taken in the top 10 picks? The league has gone completely mad if that happens. Dumbest thing I ever heard.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three WR's taken in the top 10 picks? The league has gone completely mad if that happens. Dumbest thing I ever heard.
. Eric Edholm has them 2,3,4 on his big board. Sporting news has them in the top 8. PFF has them top 8. Ive seen several mocks that have them going before 9. It does seem that one of them shoul drop to the Bears at 9 given the sheer number of positions but the lack of quality at the other positions sure doesn't hurt when you have 3 top of the line WRs

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pittsburgh just traded Pickett. Do they trade pick #51 for Field to compete with Wilson or do they draft a QB at #20? Or none of the above?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pittsburgh just traded Pickett. Do they trade pick #51 for Field to compete with Wilson or do they draft a QB at #20? Or none of the above?
Haven't a clue what they will do but I think it would be a good idea, assuming one they like is there, to draft a QB to wait and watch.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that deep down, they think Fields is just the guy they're stuck with. And they have no idea how to resolve that problem.

The guy's been just a curse for Chicago for years, and a blessing for Green Bay. Every single year, he seems to find a new way to hold the franchise back and sabotage their best opportunities for moving forward.

God, what a dysfunctional mess that team is.
it's great, ain't it?!?!

Members online

Latest posts