What "Gute" Type Early Picks Could We See...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So nearly every draft...Gute has done one thing arguably - draft a luxury type pick on the first two days or really early Day3 in the fourth. Now by what I mean luxury pick, just so you know where I'm coming from is a pick that roster construction and/or depth charts don't indicate a significant enough need to pick a prospect with need being even half of it, or even any of it.

Historically a few of these are:

Rashan Gary in 2019...we used the 12th overall pick on a guy that wasn't going to even see the field much likely. We had just signed two NFL proven edges in Preston Smith and Zadarius Smith...plus Kyler Fackrell had just had a double digit sack year in 2018.

Elgton Jenkins OC in 2019...we had Corey Linsley...our bookends were locked in...and Jenkins at Ole Miss had only played Tackle before switching to C for them for two years...a lesser degree luxury pick but one which could be argued for sure. He just happened to come in and say to Lane Taylor and Lucas Patrick...sorry but this guard spot is mine....don't forget we also brought Billy Turner in before this draft.

Jordan Love in 2020....massive luxury pick. You have a first ballot HOFer infront of him...likely not going to see the field for years....

AJ Dillon in 2020....We had Aaron Jones. We had Jamaal Williams...Tyler Ervin was signed in March before the draft (he actually played more snaps than Dillon in 2020 then) there was no need or even depth need at RB to go this early.

Josh Myers in 2021...We had Lucas Patrick - who even played like 80%+ of the center snaps in 2021 ready and set.

Zach Tom in 2022...I could make the case for Tom...but his is the biggest stretch...until the 2022 season Runyan and Newman both came in and out the gate looked the part as rookies...many expected one or both to take jumps. Our Tackle position was supposed to be solved with Bakh coming back and Yosh played solid in 2021. Not too mention we had in the third just drafted Rhyan.

Lukas Van Ness in 2023...We had Preston, Gary, Enagbare already in house....luxury to draft a high ceiling oober athletic edge.

Tucker Kraft in 2023...Yup I'll list it...but this could bump Tom as the biggest reach of the list. But we drafted a likely high snap guy in the second already, Deguara was still in house as was Davis...going to this position a second time so quickly again was a luxury type pick where the prospect and what your scouting staff saw outweighed the concept of need some if not a decent amount.

Put simply...when Gute and Co. draft what they feel is a high level prospect....it has played out arguably never bad, most of the time great...on the flipside a few times we've arguably done things based on need there are more misses (essentially all third rounders for a long time....but could argue Savage to a degree, Josh Jackson...)

The worst two to make the list is Dillon and Myers.....which all they did was give you multiple years of starts.....

But on this list you have our best edge player, our two best OL under contract that are healthy and a tight end tandem that is doing things NONE have done here and few in the league has.

So who might be the Packer types this draft that could just tempt Gute too much....for the sake of having fun I'll toss out some luxury picks on each day:

Day1
Jer'Zhan Newton or Byron Murphy iDL
...both of these two are interior down lineman wrecking machines that just ooze athletic profiles which are hard to describe until you watch the tape. While the 4-3 shift will rely less on bigger nose type plugs (Slaton may see fewer snaps this year than last) mobile and diverse bigguns along the interior will eat. Jer'Zhan IMO should be gone by the time we pick...and Murphy has all the signs of a high prospect but could be touch early to many. We have all pro Clark...and have Slaton, Wooden, Brooks and such but a few of those guys are likely to slide out to end roles more leaving a depth spot on the interior that such a pick this early would for sure be a luxury pick.

Darius Robinson Edge...I've touched on him enough and laid out the logic/argument.....

Jackson Powers-Johnson OC...drafting JPJ would honestly be ironic because Myers got drafted while Lucas Patrick was locked in as the starter....and JPJ would be getting drafted high while Myers is the locked in starter. Would Gute use not only a Day1 pick on a guy that sits a year and doesn't play his best position? OR given JPJ's background at guard just as recently as some in 2022 - would the plan be JPJ possibly RG till Myers proves worthy or not of a contract after 2024. Either way, a center is not a need we must fill right now....but JPJ is a freaking excellent center prospect.

Day2
Xavier Lagette WR
.....I hate even putting a wide receiver on this list, but because of our insane track record of second rounders and the topic of the thread being luxury picks Lagette and the next guy I feel are fitting to include. We have legit 5 guys I don't want to impeded their progression for one second....but if Lagette's name is called it would make sense. He's likely to explode on the RAS testing and despite him measuring shorter than his camp claimed - tape doesn't lie he is a jump ball mega giant. Offering a type of receiver that is like a mix of Doubs and Wicks stealing attributes of both but being neither.

Malachi Corley WR...you want a Jayden Reed type comp of a prospect I'd argue look no further than Corley from WKU. Smaller frame, well balanced lightning bolt in short yards make him a YAC beast. If you go four wide and have him and Reed both lined up in the slot GOOD LUCK defenders.

Blake Fisher RT....guys I'm telling you yes Guyton and Mims may be the tops at RT prospects...but it wouldn't shock me one bit if Fisher gets a starting nod this year he grades out as the best RT rookie in the NFL and may even long term be the best one in his class. The ONLY reason he played RT was a guy named Joe Alt...Fisher this year to me on film put together a more consistent year than even Alt did. Massive luxury if we pick because Tom has RT on lock...but imagine a world where you get a RT at or near the level of Tom, have the ability to slide Tom to RG....that's a massive line upgrade and a luxury to have done.

Gabriel Murphy ED/DE....one of the UCLA edge guys that unlike many of the others saw a lot of snaps with his hand in the dirt or inside the tackle. That attribute mixed with how incredibly successful he was at doing so would make him an awesome chess piece for Hefley as we switch bases....and quickly makes the Enagbare injury an after thought despite still having three clear guys ahead of him and maybe Brooks or Wooden too depending.

Fourth Round
Theo Johnson TE....We have Musgrave / Kraft / Simms...the need for an inline TE just simply isn't there - HBack/FB style absolutely...but targeting a TE that is an inline and split out option just is a luxury we don't need at all....so grabbing one early Day 3 would absolutely fit this bill. Theo is a guy that shined at Penn State in every alignment and comes in a better blocker than either Kraft or Musgrave did and arguably by a pretty decent margin. He quickly makes Ben Simms an afterthought.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So nearly every draft...Gute has done one thing arguably - draft a luxury type pick on the first two days or really early Day3 in the fourth. Now by what I mean luxury pick, just so you know where I'm coming from is a pick that roster construction and/or depth charts don't indicate a significant enough need to pick a prospect with need being even half of it, or even any of it.

Rashan Gary in 2019...we used the 12th overall pick on a guy that wasn't going to even see the field much likely. We had just signed two NFL proven edges in Preston Smith and Zadarius Smith...plus Kyler Fackrell had just had a double digit sack year in 2018.

Elgton Jenkins OC in 2019...we had Corey Linsley...our bookends were locked in...and Jenkins at Ole Miss had only played Tackle before switching to C for them for two years...a lesser degree luxury pick but one which could be argued for sure. He just happened to come in and say to Lane Taylor and Lucas Patrick...sorry but this guard spot is mine....don't forget we also brought Billy Turner in before this draft.

Jordan Love in 2020....massive luxury pick. You have a first ballot HOFer infront of him...likely not going to see the field for years....

AJ Dillon in 2020....We had Aaron Jones. We had Jamaal Williams...Tyler Ervin was signed in March before the draft (he actually played more snaps than Dillon in 2020 then) there was no need or even depth need at RB to go this early.

Josh Myers in 2021...We had Lucas Patrick - who even played like 80%+ of the center snaps in 2021 ready and set.

Zach Tom in 2022...I could make the case for Tom...but his is the biggest stretch...until the 2022 season Runyan and Newman both came in and out the gate looked the part as rookies...many expected one or both to take jumps. Our Tackle position was supposed to be solved with Bakh coming back and Yosh played solid in 2021. Not too mention we had in the third just drafted Rhyan.

Lukas Van Ness in 2023...We had Preston, Gary, Enagbare already in house....luxury to draft a high ceiling oober athletic edge.

Tucker Kraft in 2023...Yup I'll list it...but this could bump Tom as the biggest reach of the list. But we drafted a likely high snap guy in the second already, Deguara was still in house as was Davis...going to this position a second time so quickly again was a luxury type pick where the prospect and what your scouting staff saw outweighed the concept of need some if not a decent amount.

Put simply...when Gute and Co. draft what they feel is a high level prospect....it has played out arguably never bad, most of the time great...on the flipside a few times we've arguably done things based on need there are more misses (essentially all third rounders for a long time....but could argue Savage to a degree, Josh Jackson...)

The worst two to make the list is Dillon and Myers.....which all they did was give you multiple years of starts.....

But on this list you have our best edge player, our two best OL under contract that are healthy and a tight end tandem that is doing things NONE have done here and few in the league has.

So who might be the Packer types this draft that could just tempt Gute too much....for the sake of having fun I'll toss out some luxury picks on each day:

Day1
...both of these two are interior down lineman wrecking machines that just ooze athletic profiles which are hard to describe until you watch the tape. While the 4-3 shift will rely less on bigger nose type plugs (Slaton may see fewer snaps this year than last) mobile and diverse bigguns along the interior will eat. Jer'Zhan IMO should be gone by the time we pick...and Murphy has all the signs of a high prospect but could be touch early to many. We have all pro Clark...and have Slaton, Wooden, Brooks and such but a few of those guys are likely to slide out to end roles more leaving a depth spot on the interior that such a pick this early would for sure be a luxury pick.

Darius Robinson Edge...I've touched on him enough and laid out the logic/argument.....

Jackson Powers-Johnson OC...drafting JPJ would honestly be ironic because Myers got drafted while Lucas Patrick was locked in as the starter....and JPJ would be getting drafted high while Myers is the locked in starter. Would Gute use not only a Day1 pick on a guy that sits a year and doesn't play his best position? OR given JPJ's background at guard just as recently as some in 2022 - would the plan be JPJ possibly RG till Myers proves worthy or not of a contract after 2024. Either way, a center is not a need we must fill right now....but JPJ is a freaking excellent center prospect.

Day2
Xavier Lagette WR
.....I hate even putting a wide receiver on this list, but because of our insane track record of second rounders and the topic of the thread being luxury picks Lagette and the next guy I feel are fitting to include. We have legit 5 guys I don't want to impeded their progression for one second....but if Lagette's name is called it would make sense. He's likely to explode on the RAS testing and despite him measuring shorter than his camp claimed - tape doesn't lie he is a jump ball mega giant. Offering a type of receiver that is like a mix of Doubs and Wicks stealing attributes of both but being neither.

Malachi Corley WR...you want a Jayden Reed type comp of a prospect I'd argue look no further than Corley from WKU. Smaller frame, well balanced lightning bolt in short yards make him a YAC beast. If you go four wide and have him and Reed both lined up in the slot GOOD LUCK defenders.

Blake Fisher RT....guys I'm telling you yes Guyton and Mims may be the tops at RT prospects...but it wouldn't shock me one bit if Fisher gets a starting nod this year he grades out as the best RT rookie in the NFL and may even long term be the best one in his class. The ONLY reason he played RT was a guy named Joe Alt...Fisher this year to me on film put together a more consistent year than even Alt did. Massive luxury if we pick because Tom has RT on lock...but imagine a world where you get a RT at or near the level of Tom, have the ability to slide Tom to RG....that's a massive line upgrade and a luxury to have done.

Gabriel Murphy ED/DE....one of the UCLA edge guys that unlike many of the others saw a lot of snaps with his hand in the dirt or inside the tackle. That attribute mixed with how incredibly successful he was at doing so would make him an awesome chess piece for Hefley as we switch bases....and quickly makes the Enagbare injury an after thought despite still having three clear guys ahead of him and maybe Brooks or Wooden too depending.

Fourth Round
Theo Johnson TE....We have Musgrave / Kraft / Simms...the need for an inline TE just simply isn't there - HBack/FB style absolutely...but targeting a TE that is an inline and split out option just is a luxury we don't need at all....so grabbing one early Day 3 would absolutely fit this bill. Theo is a guy that shined at Penn State in every alignment and comes in a better blocker than either Kraft or Musgrave did and arguably by a pretty decent margin. He quickly makes Ben Simms an afterthought.

I don't think I really agree with a number of your names here.

The pass rushers definitely fit the criteria-- they didn't need an edge in either case, but they took one. Clearly Gute really values the position. You could say the same thing about QB-- taking a good one when they had the chance.

I wouldn't call the rest of them luxury picks.

Jenkins started almost the entire season as a rookie. They clearly really needed him.

When they took Dillon, both Jones and Williams were entering a contract year. It's pretty common for a GM to take a replacement a year early.

Similarly, Myers was drafted when Lucas Patrick was a year away from FA.

Tom was taken during a stretch of the draft where you're not really drafting for need anyways.

Kraft had a huge role available to him immediately. It's not like Deguara or Davis are the quality of players who will block talent.

So I would say that the Packers could end up taking a player they don't need immediately, but I don't think it's been as common as you're suggesting.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think I really agree with a number of your names here.

The pass rushers definitely fit the criteria-- they didn't need an edge in either case, but they took one. Clearly Gute really values the position. You could say the same thing about QB-- taking a good one when they had the chance.

I wouldn't call the rest of them luxury picks.

Jenkins started almost the entire season as a rookie. They clearly really needed him.

When they took Dillon, both Jones and Williams were entering a contract year. It's pretty common for a GM to take a replacement a year early.

Similarly, Myers was drafted when Lucas Patrick was a year away from FA.

Tom was taken during a stretch of the draft where you're not really drafting for need anyways.

Kraft had a huge role available to him immediately. It's not like Deguara or Davis are the quality of players who will block talent.

So I would say that the Packers could end up taking a player they don't need immediately, but I don't think it's been as common as you're suggesting.

Respectfully disagree, the luxury was almost every case there we had a positional room ready and full...with the exception I admitted in Kraft and Tom acknowledged. The others I just don't see it - Jenkins was a luxury as we assuredly had Lane Taylor here who had just started 16 /15 and 14 games in three consecutive seasons. Jenkins was just that freaking good.

I understand some of these were clearly needs on the horizon, but to a degree - albeit far less than Gary and LVN - luxury picks nonetheless.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree, the luxury was almost every case there we had a positional room ready and full...with the exception I admitted in Kraft and Tom acknowledged. The others I just don't see it - Jenkins was a luxury as we assuredly had Lane Taylor here who had just started 16 /15 and 14 games in three consecutive seasons. Jenkins was just that freaking good.

I understand some of these were clearly needs on the horizon, but to a degree - albeit far less than Gary and LVN - luxury picks nonetheless.

Drafting for a need a year ahead of time is way too common/normal to be considered a luxury. That's how I see it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting for a need a year ahead of time is way too common/normal to be considered a luxury. That's how I see it.

For sure understand that and why you're at where you are with essentially all but the two times we went edge.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For sure understand that and why you're at where you are with essentially all but the two times we went edge.

That’s true. It seems that Gute is willing to draft a surplus player if he values the position really high. We know that’s true at edge. But what are the other spots? Hard to say.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember correctly were we not clamoring for Creed Humphrey during the draft who got picked right after Meyers?
I can’t remember if Patrick signed during free agency before the draft. I am thinking that he did. I would ll look it up though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember correctly were we not clamoring for Creed Humphrey during the draft who got picked right after Meyers?
I can’t remember if Patrick signed during free agency before the draft. I am thinking that he did. I would ll look it up though.
Lucas signed a two year extension in December of 2019 which made him signed for 2020 and 2021

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do recall it this way. I recall thinking Humphry was the likely pick and the best option at center. Don't recall all the circumstances around the perceived need.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Day1

Day2
Xavier Lagette WR

Fourth Round
Any DL we take will be not needed. We are going from 3 to 2 required slots on iDL and 2 to 2 from OLB to DE.

I see Brooks as a DE now so we have Gary, Smith, LVN, and Brooks at DE.

Not sure what happens to enegbarre or Cox. Maybe we trade them but as i suspect they dont fit what the new DC is looking for. Smith really played well last season. I know we can't expect that forever, and we do like to get rid of a year earlier than later. Gary, LVN, and Brooks are young and can all rotate along the line with different packages.

We have Clark, Wyatt, Slaton, Wooden at IDL.

I somewhat expect a high iDL. Clark isn't getting any younger and we need to provide more rest. Newton may likely be the best available and would be a very interesting piece to develop.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Any DL we take will be not needed. We are going from 3 to 2 required slots on iDL and 2 to 2 from OLB to DE.

I see Brooks as a DE now so we have Gary, Smith, LVN, and Brooks at DE.

Not sure what happens to enegbarre or Cox. Maybe we trade them but as i suspect they dont fit what the new DC is looking for. Smith really played well last season. I know we can't expect that forever, and we do like to get rid of a year earlier than later. Gary, LVN, and Brooks are young and can all rotate along the line with different packages.

We have Clark, Wyatt, Slaton, Wooden at IDL.

I somewhat expect a high iDL. Clark isn't getting any younger and we need to provide more rest. Newton may likely be the best available and would be a very interesting piece to develop.

I personally think Brooks will primarily play 3T and rotate with Wyatt. He certainly could take some snaps on the edge in obvious run situations, but that's not where he's built to thrive. But I think you're right to expect iDL to be in consideration for a high draft pick.

It remains to be seen what they plan to do with Clark's contract, but as of now both he and Slaton are entering a contract year. That places 1T really high on the priority list unless they plan to take steps to keep the in-house options.

I think that will have them looking at some of the stouter DT types over 3T type guys like Newton-- Sweat (Texas), Jenkins (Michigan), Jackson (Texas AM) are the guys I would keep an eye on.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think Brooks will primarily play 3T and rotate with Wyatt. He certainly could take some snaps on the edge in obvious run situations, but that's not where he's built to thrive. But I think you're right to expect iDL to be in consideration for a high draft pick.

It remains to be seen what they plan to do with Clark's contract, but as of now both he and Slaton are entering a contract year. That places 1T really high on the priority list unless they plan to take steps to keep the in-house options.

I think that will have them looking at some of the stouter DT types over 3T type guys like Newton-- Sweat (Texas), Jenkins (Michigan), Jackson (Texas AM) are the guys I would keep an eye on.

One crazy interesting thing I remember from scouting Brooks as a prospect was how comfortable and often he was deployed outside the tackle standing and just outside down as an end.

In 2022

LOLB/ROLB snaps - 306
LEO/REO/LE/RE - 312
Inside further - 44

Wooden in 2022 for comparison:
LOLB/ROLB snaps - 7
LEO/REO/LE/RE - 146
Inside further - 435

It was one reason Brooks grading by many was so so diverse from early Day 2 to nearly a priority UDFA...folks struggled to project what he is or would be.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One crazy interesting thing I remember from scouting Brooks as a prospect was how comfortable and often he was deployed outside the tackle standing and just outside down as an end.

In 2022

LOLB/ROLB snaps - 306
LEO/REO/LE/RE - 312
Inside further - 44

Wooden in 2022 for comparison:
LOLB/ROLB snaps - 7
LEO/REO/LE/RE - 146
Inside further - 435

It was one reason Brooks grading by many was so so diverse from early Day 2 to nearly a priority UDFA...folks struggled to project what he is or would be.

Yeah he did play outside a lot and it did work. But I think it carries more weight that he spent the bulk of his rookie season at 3T and thrived. I don’t want to mess that up!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he did play outside a lot and it did work. But I think it carries more weight that he spent the bulk of his rookie season at 3T and thrived. I don’t want to mess that up!

Absolutely. You see in a pundit redraft he went in round one?!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m gonna say this right now— Kris Jenkins Jr has Packer written all over him. Now that’s a pick that I could see Gute making that catches a lot of people off guard.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m gonna say this right now— Kris Jenkins Jr has Packer written all over him. Now that’s a pick that I could see Gute making that catches a lot of people off guard.

I've seen that name mentioned a few times lately. I'm curious to learn his RAS.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I didn’t. That’s crazy.

Also— am I to understand that you charted where those guys lined up in college?

Yeah, per PFF. I try to for edge types chart what type of edge they are so I just pulled up my spreadsheet quick.

I actually had Brooks off my ranking list because of his atypical massive body size but they asked him to play OLB so much. I wasn’t sure what to do with him.

I knew Wooden never was outside the tackle down or up.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He and Murphy are two PACKER TYPE dudes absolutely. I expect Murphy actually to maybe settle in at a higher RAS but Jenkins is gonna pop.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m guessing it will be 9.0+

From what I've seen, I'd be quite surprised if it isn't. The man appears to be a physical freak.

Plus, he sounds like a really terrific kid; a quality young man to add to the mix. And he could maybe get his uncle Cullen's old locker and number!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Another guy I suspect the Packers will have checking all their thresholds is Leonard Taylor

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I truly hope one of you experts are keeping a compiled list of these guys and a friend of mine is really wondering about 6-7 round targets of the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Put simply...when Gute and Co. draft what they feel is a high level prospect....it has played out arguably never bad, most of the time great

I would put it this way. Gute has been very proactive on drafting for the present and the future. If you look at players like Gary, Love and LVS, there may not have been an immediate need at their positions, but Gute drafted them anyway. Why? Gute saw value, at a very valuable/expensive position and invested in guys that may not immediately impact the team, but with development, could be a homerun. I actually think where Gute has made some mistakes is drafting high for immediate need. Nothing wrong with that, but if a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder never really contributes a lot, from start to finish of his contract, you've blown the pick. Just a quick scan of all his drafts and some quick math, he has missed on about 50% of his Rd. 1-3 picks. Not sure how that compares to other teams, but I'd like to see him improve, especially in the fricking 3rd round.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would put it this way. Gute has been very proactive on drafting for the present and the future. If you look at players like Gary, Love and LVS, there may not have been an immediate need at their positions, but Gute drafted them anyway. Why? Gute saw value, at a very valuable/expensive position and invested in guys that may not immediately impact the team, but with development, could be a homerun. I actually think where Gute has made some mistakes is drafting high for immediate need. Nothing wrong with that, but if a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder never really contributes a lot, from start to finish of his contract, you've blown the pick. Just a quick scan of all his drafts and some quick math, he has missed on about 50% of his Rd. 1-3 picks. Not sure how that compares to other teams, but I'd like to see him improve, especially in the fricking 3rd round.

I was speaking especially strong when he does this first couple rounds. The third round has been a curse until last year. However, when grading out a GMs drafting many will say you really look at Day1 and some of Day 2....it really does become a crap shoot.

Also, if someone says Savage was a miss, I would strongly argue that. A miss is a dude that doesn't even become a starter...Wyatt is flirting with the label IMO if he doesn't get going.

I've ran numbers of draftees still with contracts in the league before of Gute vs tons of other deemed successful franchises - the dude is way above the median and is one of the best at finding NFL guys.

Gute hasn't missed a day1 guy IMO yet...which is nuts....absolutely nuts.

Members online

Latest posts