Bates Gone

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. the only thing TT is guilty of is not hiring bates, but there are 31 other GMs at this point who have done the same thing.

Reaction score
You know I agree Arrow and Trom, but the fact is TT dropped the ball. He could have met face to face and told Bates he didn't get the job. Instead he only called him. McCarthy also said he spent more time on talking with possible DC replacements, rather than Bates (if i can recall correctly). Bates should have given in a role that basically where MM is our HC, but Bates had complete control of our D. McCarthy could've said I will take your advice, and how you want things to be done. MM could've given full authority to Bates on the Defesive side of the ball, said you are responsible for the players, who gets cut and who stays. Bates has certainly proven capable of being able to handle such a role.

MM could've chossen to only focused on O. He is not a Defensive guru, and won't be the greatest of the choices to improve our D as HC. That is where MM and TT dropped the ball. I believe they didn't do their best in trying to keep Bates. They could've tried to repair the damaged (not burnt) bridge, but didn't.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
but the fact is TT dropped the ball. He could have met face to face and told Bates he didn't get the job. Instead he only called him.

....he only called him? Face to face meetings are overrated, especially when one of the guys(bates)is in the hunt for some HC action. A phone call is FASTER, and it gave Bates a head start on talking to teams about being HC. But yeah, he shoulda scheduled a meeting a day or two later, and waste Bates valuable time, or he could call him since he had his decision made, and help bates out, so he could let Bates go get his payday from somewhere else.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
You know I agree Arrow and Trom, but the fact is TT dropped the ball. He could have met face to face and told Bates he didn't get the job. Instead he only called him. McCarthy also said he spent more time on talking with possible DC replacements, rather than Bates (if i can recall correctly). Bates should have given in a role that basically where MM is our HC, but Bates had complete control of our D. McCarthy could've said I will take your advice, and how you want things to be done. MM could've given full authority to Bates on the Defesive side of the ball, said you are responsible for the players, who gets cut and who stays. Bates has certainly proven capable of being able to handle such a role.

MM could've chossen to only focused on O. He is not a Defensive guru, and won't be the greatest of the choices to improve our D as HC. That is where MM and TT dropped the ball. I believe they didn't do their best in trying to keep Bates. They could've tried to repair the damaged (not burnt) bridge, but didn't.

i just think you might be underestimating how upset Bates was with TT decision. i think he felt slighted, and deservedly so...i'm not sure there was a lot they could've done to repair that...of course thats just my interpretation.

Reaction score
You know, the real story will eventually come out. I will say I did jump to conclusions, but because I am just fustrated at our loss. People like Bates don't come around very often. But regardless, MM and TT need to rebound quickly and get some other good DC in there.

Yeah the conference just seemed to me Bate was dissapointed he didn't get it. He was somber, and lacked enthusiasm. It was unfortunate it did not work out. God what I wouldn't give to have Bates continue on as DC.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
yeah, its one of those things where your girlfriend dumps you but wants to remain friends, and it would hurt too much to be around her.

not...not...that i know what thats about. im a playa!

but seriously, jim was respectful, classy....and he had nothing but good things to say about TT and MM so..I hope the "TT and MM secretly fired bates" stuff doesnt surface.

the hunt begins
Wait a minute. You were the same guy who thought that I was insane for saying that they should have given the HC job to Bates. You said that having him as the DC was "money".
I say that he ends up as a HC coach some place before the start of the next season. (Buffalo?)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
tromadz said:
yeah, its one of those things where your girlfriend dumps you but wants to remain friends, and it would hurt too much to be around her.

but seriously, jim was respectful, classy....and he had nothing but good things to say about TT and MM so..I hope the "TT and MM secretly fired bates" stuff doesnt surface.

the hunt begins
Wait a minute. You were the same guy who thought that I was insane for saying that they should have given the HC job to Bates. You said that having him as the DC was "money".
I say that he ends up as a HC coach some place before the start of the next season. (Buffalo?)

As I've said multiple times, as a DC the man is gold, but as a HC, nobody (yet) seems to want to hire him. Not last year, not this year(in GB)...yet anyway. They (probably, unless YOU work in the NFL) know something we dont.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Philtration said:
tromadz said:

the hunt begins

As I've said multiple times, as a DC the man is gold, but as a HC, nobody (yet) seems to want to hire him. Not last year, not this year(in GB)...yet anyway. They (probably, unless YOU work in the NFL) know something we dont.

And this is what you just said about this same topic in another thread…

“Bates is gone. It is sad. I am sad. he will probably HC somewhere now, I will be shocked if he doesn't. He did a lot of good things in ONE year.â€

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he isnt a HC now is he? Will he be one? from fans\media, the answer is obviously yes. but from the actions of NFL teams, no. the king of flipflopping calling me one..im honored.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Bates said he felt the the new Head coach Mike McCarthy deserved the right to hire his own trusted man as DC. Bates said a assistant coach alway thinks of what trusted people he wants as Assistant coaches of his staff when he reaches time when he becomes new HC ..Jim Bates says, he is giving Mike McCarthy that opportunity to chose the DC McCarthy wants. The offer for Bates to return as Packer DC was on the table according to Bates , he said declined it. Jim Bates say it is what best for him and best for new Packer head coach Mike McCarthy. Bates said that this is same answer he gave the Dolphins when they offered him the opportunity to remain as DC with the Dolphins before he accepted a position with the Packers.. His anwer to both the Packer & Dolphins - thanks but no thanks!! I heard his news conferences. He is class man and will be snap up by another NFL team, hopefully as head coach , if not in some capacity. he said he will not make a hasty decision. Jim Bates will be paid by the Packers for the one year remaining on his contract. of coarse, a new HC coming into any NFL franchise , usually "cleans house" & hires his own trusted people for his staff. This should surprise no Packer fan that this has happen during this packer head Coaching change. it has happen many times in history of the Packers. McCarthy is 14th Packer Head coach in the franchise history. and their usually was little carry over of Assistant coaches to new coaches staff. But there were some" exception to the rule". Lets move on to the new era, posting "blame game" messages concerning this topic doesn't change any thing.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's an article on JSonline about the list of DC candidates -- Winston Moss is in the lead - and I agree, would probably be the best fit in this new line-up of the Coaching Staff. Otherwise, AG was right, Bob Sanders should get the promotion = but, I don't see Moss turning this opportunity down, either -- the remark is ----

""Moss probably is going to be a head coach eventually," said an assistant coach who has worked with him. "He's very, very intelligent. He's a tough guy. He coaches his guys really hard but has a good relationship with them. He's got a great smile and he's a fun guy to be around. I think he's ready to be a coordinator."

Here's the link ----

Candidates for Bates replacement are ....

**EDIT**

Look at it this way --- We have a relatively young team and now we have a pretty young coaching staff - the blending will happen faster than usual, in my honoured opinion -- could be a good thing, - why not give it a chance...??

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Is this the guy who

A) Turned Kampman into a record breaker?

or

B) Did nothing to improve KGB?

I love Kamp(hes on my myspace friend list, or at least some fat kid pretending to be him), his improvements were great, and for that, the DE coach should be applauded.

But KGB still blows at run defense. Hell, even his PASS defense isnt that great..not great enough to where he should be out there hurting the run defense. I dunno man...

First time poster, long time stalker!!!

Agree with the above statement except for the fact that Kamp really is average at best himself. Love him but he should not be starting in the NFL at DE.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman is definately a starter. With hard work and dedication he turned himself from a quality back up guy to a bonified DE in the NFL.

He is one of this years FA's that I am going to keep a real close eye on. Hopefully The Packere realize what they have in Kampman, a player who will go the extra mile and do the extra work it takes to succeed.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hate to see bates leave,but can anyone tell me why they are looking at all the coaches the saints have isnt it ironic that their looking at people sherman would be looking at if he were to get hired down there?then you have to wonder that team didnt do all that great why would you take alot of those people,and i dont like the fact he is good friends with alot of who he is looking at,did they not critizie sherman for that.so i dont no what to think for this season and how it will turn out i guess we'll know soon enough.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently, when Sherman chose his friends to work with, it was "cronyism". Now that MM is doing it, it is called "choosing coaches he is comfortable with".

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, DePack......cronyism is STICKING with your pals when they have PROVEN themsevles UNWORTHY of their posts......or hiring your pals WITHOUT other INTERVIEWS being afforded other CANDIDATES!

Something Sherman did with regularity. Of course ANYBODY is going to hire those they have professional/personal relationships with all other things (qualifications) being equal.

If the distinction is lost to you...well, sorry!

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates, a great coach, who'll be sorely missed, is showing he's only human. Two years in a row... who can blame him. As much as I hate to see him go it's probably best under these circumstances. Yes, it hurts to say that. The fact that we have a youthful air to our coaching staff could go either way...a possible learning curve. Hopefully the young staff will be good teachers and be able to communicate.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Kamp and think he is agreat guy but I think our talent level has dropped so much that he looks good to us because we no one else to look at. I don't think he would sniff the field on alot of other teams. Would he have played when we had Reggie, Jones, Gilbert.....

That is my big problem with MS getting fired. He sucked as GM and was way to loyal to his asst's but he was above average and did a great job year in year out. Better to be in the playoffs instead of just watching!

Everyone says he wasted talent. I say we haven't been talent at the right times. We need a real #1 receiver. Yes Walker is a real #1 but with him hurt you saw what we have. Driver is a stud but not at rue #1. He is a #1.5. That is just one example because I am too lazy and too slow of a typer. But hopefully I made a point. Even though I will probably get blasted.

Was it time for a change like this? I say we didn't need a over-haul we needed a tune-up. Over-hauls can be costly and time consuming and that scares me!

Latest posts