Bates Gone

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mutual agreement or not, this is not good for a defense that was showing much improvement.
Young players cannot develope when they have to learn a new system year after year.
Veterans do not want to have to start over year after year, they are football players who want to have a shot at the superbowl, I am afraid this will be the final move that starts the mass exodus of free agents to other teams.
As always I hope I am completely wrong ,TT is doing nothing to keep valuable veteran players from going to what they deem as greener pastures.
Green Bay for the last 15 years has been a team players wanted to come and play for, I don't see that happening anymore.

This is another in many sad sad days as of lately.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, it's just been one heartbreak after another since TT has been around. I bet he'll trade the #5 pick for a 6th and 7th round pick and take 2 left tackles.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
Mutual agreement or not, this is not good for a defense that was showing much improvement.
Young players cannot develope when they have to learn a new system year after year.

I agree, but disagree.

Its sad for the defense, BUT...

the main thing Bates did was bring back basics and technique. It was more of a 'back to basics' year than learning a super duper complex system of defense. You would think that the basics and technique bates taught them would stick.

I think we are in a better situation here going from BATES ---> NEW GUY than we were when we went from DONATELL ----> SLOWIK

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom,

You just keep trying to downplay all of these offseason moves, it has become very apparent that TT has had this plan of putting his own men in and making this his team since day one, which I do believe is 1 year.

Congratulations TT, in one year you have taken a franchise with 1 losing season in the past 15,(that losing season being last year, your first), to a team looking at several years of learning and rebuilding, of course along with all this is the losing records that will come with it.

How much you want to bet our one big free agent aquisition for next year will be T.O. This would fit right in with everything else that is going on.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just angry, the Pack FINALY had a Great DC...someone who would have been a great coach, he developed a young D...then he gets skipped over for some OC in SF that had a horrible offense there. Look what he did with Alex Smith...1 FING TD all year. LOL WOW. McCarthy I hope is good, but Bates would have been a lot better. He went 3-4 with a horrific dolphins team....and even beat the Pats the SB Champs, in his first go around as a HC with no prepration for it.

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett to TO would be awesome. Brett might be the guy to control him, just like Jordan and Rodman.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
Trom,

You just keep trying to downplay all of these offseason moves, it has become very apparent that TT has had this plan of putting his own men in and making this his team since day one, which I do believe is 1 year.

no, thats speculation. did TT cause all the injuries this year too, so he could fire sherman and put his own guys in? ya know..dont answer that...cuz some people here would say he did.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
yeah, because even if bates stayed, he probably woulda been gone next year(to HC somewhere)..so it woulda been a 2 year stay. lets get someone in who will stay, work with what we have, let TT continue to clean up shermans GM mess, and get some quality players, and do their thing.

but good luck to bates, he seemed down, sounds like he has some HC jobs to look at though! McCarthy vs Bates in 2006! UHOH!

yea that's good thinking trom....let's hire a sh1tty defensive coordinator so nobody will want to hire him as a head coach. Try to stay away from the good ones!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No excuses!!!!!!!
The now mostly ex-coaches of the 2005 Packers could not use the injury bug as an excuse for a losing season, so don't try and give TT an easy out.
He was the man in charge of player personal last year, when the injuries started to happen he did very little to help the team out.
I don't want to hear about being salary cap strapped, or any other excuse.
There are none!!!!!

TT is the man in charge and from what I am reading, there are not many who like what is happening.

You can blindly follow TT down the road that he is taking but don't expect those of us that have watched The Packers go down that road before to happily follow along.

Not Hiring Bates as HC, then "mutually"agreeing that his time was up in Green Bay, is the absolute WORST move of many bad one TT has made since the 2005 season ended.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I think everything that can be said - has been said on this score....

So - the question becomes - "Who is out there, that would 'want' to come to Green Bay?"

Is there a short list of potential Defensive Coordinators?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates did a great job as D coordinator. He's a class act. I wish they wold have given him a shot at the job because I think he would have been good. But I think TT wanted to end all ties with Sherman ball and for that I don't blame him. I do think that Bates and McCarthy would have been a good match but if that's not what Bates wanted, then we move on. Truthfully it's probably going to be a good thing. The coaches have to buy into the McCarthy theory. We'll get a good defensive coordinator, I have no doubt.

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm pissed. Pissed at the Packers for not doing more, Pissed at McCarthy for not trying harder, and especially PISSED AT TT.

Look, TT could have done more to get Bates to come back. From accounts, he called Bates, but didn't inform him in person that he had lost out. I don't care who we get as a new DC, Bates proved he was the best man for the job.

Trom, you said the basics should stick. I doubt it. Lets face it, we don't exactly have the sharpest minds on D. Bates constantly enforced fundementals, so our plays employed them. Eventually, if such a practice is not preached, I believe our players will once again get away from it. A dark day in the history of the Packers.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, sorry, sorry, this is bad news, very bad ones !!!!

Best luck to you Jim Bates anywhere you land best luck to you !!!!

Now TT and MM have gotten things harder for them.....

Reaction score
Did I hear incorrectly, or did McCarthy say that he spent more time talking with other possible DC choices, than with Bates.

Can anyone who also listened to the conference confirm this, or if it was taken out of context? (Sorry, too lazy).

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPierce said:
This news seriously sucks. I'm trying to give TT a chance and he's blowing it big time.

Agreed...I too am losing my faith in TT...we hire an OC from a team just as bad as ours to replace a coach w/ a winning record, and in the process lose one of the better coaches GB has seen since the mid 90s

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to give TT and MM a chance, who knows what can happen, its sad that Bates decided to leave, guess they didnt even get the chance to talk money,,,he just wanted out...Bates is one class act and I to will wish him the best of luck moving on...

Now maybe if they cant get Brett Favre to come back maybe then I will change my mind...because if IMO they dont get Favre to come back I think they are making one very bad decision...but again Favre might retire cause HE WANTS TO...nothing to do with the Packers...we dont know everything that is being said behind closed doors...all I do know is if Brett dont come back I will be very sad..I think Green Bay will be very sad...so lets keep our fingers crossed and see what happens...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this the guy who

A) Turned Kampman into a record breaker?

or

B) Did nothing to improve KGB?

I love Kamp(hes on my myspace friend list, or at least some fat kid pretending to be him), his improvements were great, and for that, the DE coach should be applauded.

But KGB still blows at run defense. Hell, even his PASS defense isnt that great..not great enough to where he should be out there hurting the run defense. I dunno man...

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bates was crushed when he was told MM got the job. Hey, it is unfortunite we lost a damn good DC but, IMO, Jim is taking it personal- not getting the HC job.

Has he lined up any interviews yet?

Best wishes, Mr Bates. You did a fine job improving the Packers D!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he said hes gotten phonecalls, but hasnt done anything about it the last two days. it does kinda sound like hes taking it personal, which is a damn shame.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it sounds like some of you guys didn't get to hear the press conference...it was pretty clear Bates didn't want to stay. nobody "ran him out of GB". is this TT's fault? indirectly, yes...but only because he didn't hire Bates.

in a situation like this, looking for somebody to blame might require some reaching.

Latest posts