Adam Schefter reports Bubba is in danger of being cut...

Reaction score
Adam Schefter reported on NFL Total Access last night that TE Bubba Franks was in real danger of being cut.

NOW THIS IS A RUMOUR, but truth be told I can't remember Schefter being totally off on stuff that he reports.

My question isn't about the TE position, because there is already a thread on that. I'm wondering if it makes sense to cut Bubba.

He's the most experienced guy at TE, has some use as a blocking TE (evident last year), and most importantly his salary isn't limiting us in any way.

Yes Bubba's performance has decreased to below terrible. But the thing is, he can stil be of use to this team if our O-line should falter early on (they should improve, but that isn't a guarantee). The Packers are currently 15 million under the cap, so it isn't like they can't afford to keep Bubba around.

Now there is a downside, Bubba isn't going to be all that happy about being the 3rd/4th TE if it comes to that, and that Bubba would take up valuable roster space. But for the first 3 weeks, K-Rob is suspended and we'll eventually need to make space for him. I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to keep Bubba around for a bit, so in case our o-line has some early struggles, we have Bubba to come in and try to sure up our pass protection.

I'd say it'd be better to keep Bubba for about 4-5 weeks, and when the o-line proves they are capable of blocking adequately without extra help being needed, we can release Bubba to make room for K-Rob (or bring in a rookie to look at, and eventually cut him when K-Rob is ready to come back).

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Of course one huge downside might be the message you send to players: we'll keep you if you are paid a lot, even if you stink it up.

But perhaps the Packers could downplay that message, and go with the angle that they are keeping Bubba as a safety blanket in case the worst case scenario comes to light...

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think bubba was the reason we did not win 2 games

but cuting bubba might **** favre off again

he is feeling like all the guys he can relate to r beening cut in order to make ayounger team

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how you can keep giving Ferguson another chance while giving Bubba no chances.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Bubba is in danger. I figured that out all by myself.
But once again it's just a guy making predictions. I don't think he has any inside info.
And I think if Fergie doesn't step up quick come mini camp, his time here will end too.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how you can keep giving Ferguson another chance while giving Bubba no chances.
Fergie has been hurt......while Bubba just stunk up the place.
That being said, i LIKE Bubba, and HOPE he puts it all back together. I don't WANT him cut.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
neither produced
But the situations are different. Injured versus a guy that WAS on the field and didn't produce. I honestly believe that had Fergie been on the field and didn't produce, he would be in the same situation Bubba is now.
Like i said.....i think Fergie's free ride ends NOW. If he doesn't show up 100%, he will be gone.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bertram said:
Fergie has been hurt......while Bubba just stunk up the place.
That being said, i LIKE Bubba, and HOPE he puts it all back together. I don't WANT him cut.

I think Bubba had a wrist injury along with a knee issue as well

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the staff has clearly challanged Bubba to step up his game by putting him down the depth chart. It's now up to Bubba to do what he has to do to get back where he was.

Obviously Bubba hasn't been challenging HIMSELF like he needed to the last couple of years so the coaches did it for him. It's a game where you take advantage of every opportunity. Yes, Bubba was asked to do some different things last year.

That's no excuse for dropping the ball that much when your number is called. There were times when he was down right pitiful.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure Brett is going to miss a TE that can't catch.

Both Bubba and Ferguson need to be cut. We have seen the ceiling for both players. This is a good as they are going to get and it's not good enough. Those reps need to go to the younger players.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
that cant catch they have caught more than you you can only catch a COLD

What's your point? The worst player in the NFL could play better than any of us, but we're comparing their performances against their peers, and both players are subpar, which warrants criticism.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Fergy and/or Bubba gets cut, it's good news for our team because it means that we're improving at two positions where improvement was needed. We must keep in mind that the TEAM is more important than ANY of its parts. We need improvement because all teams are trying to improve.

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bubba will remain this year but, I think this will be his last as a packer. He may have drop a lot of passes last year but, this year I think he knows is his last chance to show not only Green Bay but other teams that he still is an option for the passing game.

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:
neither produced
But the situations are different. Injured versus a guy that WAS on the field and didn't produce. I honestly believe that had Fergie been on the field and didn't produce, he would be in the same situation Bubba is now.
Like i said.....i think Fergie's free ride ends NOW. If he doesn't show up 100%, he will be gone.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bubba Franks was drafted by Then Packer General Manager Ron Wolf in first round of 2000 draft which was last draft he participated in before his retired at end of 2000 season. Franks has 29 touchdown passes and has been to three pro bowls in the seven year with the Packers.

Who the "heck" is Art Schefter and what is total NFL access. Art would only have read the sport page of January 5, 2007, Green Bay Press-Gazette and read an article by Dylan B Tomlinson, Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers, entitled "Franks will get chace to rebound"

This article quoted both Packer tight ends coach Bob McAddo and Packer head coach Mike McCarthy comments about Babba Franks being in Packers plans for ' 07 season.

Packer TE coach TE Coach said he expects Franks to be a part of the packers' offense next ('07) season . " As we continue to grow as an offense, he'll get more opportunities." McAdoo said. "(We'll) put the ball in his hands. When he gets those opportunities, he needs to make sure he makes those plays--take care of the football and make the most of them."

McCarthy said he met with Franks before the team left for the off season and said he looks for Franks to rebound in 2007. "So I look for Bubba, just in the conversation I had with him, to come back here, go through the off season program." McCarthy said.

He's not getting any younger. He needs to attack it and get ready to play, and hopefully, we'll move more towards a number of basic pass concepts that the tight end is more of a primary option in the passing game, so oppotunities will increase for that group. Also, he Franks) needs to get back to fundamentals and get his confidence back"

Bubba Franks will get his chance to to prove himself again to be a productive tight End in '07, If he does not, it may be his last chance to do so.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Bubba is 29 years old. If he doesn't rebound quick, i think he might end up unemployed. I think Fergie is only 26. I think this MIGHT be another reason why Fergie has a bit longer leash. He hasn't played as much, and shouldn't even be as old as his real age, as he hasn't had the wear and tear on him. But i think he has to show in the camps this year, or he will be pushed out by the younger guys.
My hope is that BOTH of them take their opportunity here and become great at their positions.