Your fav Packer team

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was your favorite packer team?

I really really liked 07. It also broke my heart.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really liked the 2003 team with Ahman Green's 1800+ rushing yards. They'd bring out an extra lineman on 3rd and 4. Everybody knew they would run and to which side, but they'd pick up the first anyway.

They also had Favre's MNF football game after his father passing away, Green's 98 yard TD run and McCown knocking out the Vikings, and Al Harris's pick six to win the Wild Card. Of course, that season ended in very disappointing fashion, but I loved it while it was happening.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Tough choice here. I'll only rank teams from the time since I became a fan (1995-).

5. 1997 - We all know how this one ended, but let's not forget that this team destroyed Dallas and won in Minnesota. Then they destroyed San Francisco on the road in the NFC Championship Game. A few plays here and there in the Super Bowl, and they repeat.
4. 2010 - Well, obvious, because they won it all. But what makes this one stand out, even during the 8-6 start, is that it was an outstanding defense, which really stands out in recent Packer history.
3. 2011 - This one is soured of course by the fact that there were no playoff victories. But during that regular season, I was busy looking up Super Bowl tickets, because I thought a repeat was inevitable.
2. 2007 - I thought this team was destined to win it all. That Favre would go out with a Super Bowl win in a storybook ending. And when Tynes somehow missed the game-winner to send the game to OT, it looked like the dream would come true. Unfortunately, we all know what happened after that.
1. 1996 - I know it's kind of obvious, but this was one of the greatest teams in NFL history. #1 offense, #1 defense, best returner in the the league. The Packers didn't just win games that year, they blew out opponents.

Now, if you're asking me what my favorite seasons were, certainly 1995, 2003 and 1999 (!) are up there. That's because those teams weren't as much good as they were lucky - but boy, were they fun to watch. 1999, I could go on for days about how much fun that season was. But that's for a different post.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
The 1996 Team. Broke the long SB drought. Long before Favre become a washed up has been.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1966. The world's first Super Bowl Champion. A 12-2 record. Defeated Dallas in New Year's Day NFL Championship thriller. Bart Starr league MVP as well as MVP of Super Bowl for the first of his two times. Vince Lombardi,coach, and 10 of his 11 players to make the pro football HOF at their peak. Arguably the best team of all time.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't pick just one.
All of Lombardi's teams.
There will never again be another juggernaut in Green Bay like the Packers teams of the 60's.
Every year I felt like they could go undefeated. Those were exciting times.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't pick just one.
All of Lombardi's teams.
There will never again be another juggernaut in Green Bay like the Packers teams of the 60's.

I hold a similar sentiment. The '62 team was more dominating, the '65 & '67 teams had more drama and played through adversity to the title. The '61 club had more magical innocence. But I think '66 was the epitome year of that dynasty.

They were closer to going undefeated even than the '62 team. One loss in '66 was by 1 point and the other by just 3. The league was stronger in '66 than in those earlier years. Dallas in '66 was a more formidable title game opponent than their earlier ones in New York and Cleveland and they had to play that Championship Game on the road.

The '66 team had some members on the defense that weren't on the early championship teams. Ron Kostelnik and Lionel Aldridge on the line, Dave Robinson and LeRoy Caffey at outside linebacker, Bob Jeter and Tom Brown in the secondary. The earlier defenses were very good but those guys added a dimension to playmaking that wasn't on the earlier units. As memory serves, they not only yielded the fewest points in '66 but set the club record for defensive touchdowns scored as well.

D

Dan115

They really are.
Kind of brings a tear to my eye.
All of us kids in the neighborhood just lived and died with the Green Bay Packers.

Now I'm starting to feel like my dad, living in the past.
Must be that Lombardi show I watched on Christmas day.
Can you remember your first Packer game? Mine was 15 Oct 1961 vs browns.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you remember your first Packer game? Mine was 15 Oct 1961 vs browns.
I don't remember my first Packers game on TV.
I do remember my 1st Packers game live in Green Bay in 1956 against the hated Bears at City Stadium.
That was the beginning of my Packers fandom.
The Packers lost but Billy Howton became my 1st favorite Packers player.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one that started it all.
Record was 10-1.
A sign for great things to come in the future.

D

Dan115

I don't remember my first Packers game on TV.
I do remember my 1st Packers game live in Green Bay in 1956 against the hated Bears at City Stadium.
That was the beginning of my Packers fandom.
The Packers lost but Billy Howton became my 1st favorite Packers player.

You remember the lean years.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really liked the 2003 team with Ahman Green's 1800+ rushing yards. They'd bring out an extra lineman on 3rd and 4. Everybody knew they would run and to which side, but they'd pick up the first anyway.

They also had Favre's MNF football game after his father passing away, Green's 98 yard TD run and McCown knocking out the Vikings, and Al Harris's pick six to win the Wild Card.

Of course, that season ended in very disappointing fashion, but I loved it while it was happening.
THAT season, that team, we had DESTINY on our side...... it was magical.
That running game was sensational.
Ahman was All-Pro, but Najeh Davenport and Tony Fisher averaged more per carry than Ahman did.... that's how great the running game was.

We got healthy and heated up late in the season to get a chance to get in. But we needed this miracle just to get into the playoffs:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That got is in. Home game vs McCarthy, Hasselbeck and the Seahawks. Also, another almost-miracle needed to get past that game:

The Eagles were next and they had a terrible run defense. We carved them up like a machine, had that game won and were headed to the NFC Championship game vs the Jake Delhomme Panthers..... but the worst moment of my fandom life, Freddie Mitchell, ruined it all. Too painful to watch still for some.

Nick Barnett. Rookie. Nice coverage. He tried to keep the TE from catching a 5 yard pass. Instead of dropping back and taking away this throw...
Then Bert Farve threw it all away in overtime even with that great running game, just chucked up a first-play hail mary Int.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You remember the lean years.
Oh yes I do.
I sat through alot of those "lean years" games in Lambeau and in Milwaukee with my buddies.
Our faith never wavered. Win or lose we loved our Packers and had alot of fun following them.
I have had the fortune of seeing my wife and kids turn into avid Packers fans and have been able to bring them to games including playoffs.
Win or lose, the Green Bay Packers have provided us with alot of great family entertainment over the years.

D

Dan115

Oh yes I do.
I sat through alot of those "lean years" games in Lambeau and in Milwaukee with my buddies.
Our faith never wavered. Win or lose we loved our Packers and had alot of fun following them.
I have had the fortune of seeing my wife and kids turn into avid Packers fans and have been able to bring them to games including playoffs.
Win or lose, the Green Bay Packers have provided us with alot of great family entertainment over the years.
I named my son Bart Taylor. Born in 78. I first went to watch training camp in JULY 64

Reaction score
I can't pick just one.
All of Lombardi's teams.

No under-performing teams during that decade, yooperpackfan! And you're right, it is difficult to single just one team out. Disciplined hard-nosed mean nasty tough-minded talented players who just flat out would not accept the thought of losing a game. Great teams!

I hold a similar sentiment. The '62 team was more dominating, the '65 & '67 teams had more drama and played through adversity to the title. The '61 club had more magical innocence. But I think '66 was the epitome year of that dynasty.

They were closer to going undefeated even than the '62 team. One loss in '66 was by 1 point and the other by just 3. The league was stronger in '66 than in those earlier years. Dallas in '66 was a more formidable title game opponent than their earlier ones in New York and Cleveland and they had to play that Championship Game on the road.

The '66 team had some members on the defense that weren't on the early championship teams. Ron Kostelnik and Lionel Aldridge on the line, Dave Robinson and LeRoy Caffey at outside linebacker, Bob Jeter and Tom Brown in the secondary. The earlier defenses were very good but those guys added a dimension to playmaking that wasn't on the earlier units. As memory serves, they not only yielded the fewest points in '66 but set the club record for defensive touchdowns scored as well.

1966. The world's first Super Bowl Champion. A 12-2 record. Defeated Dallas in New Year's Day NFL Championship thriller. Bart Starr league MVP as well as MVP of Super Bowl for the first of his two times. Vince Lombardi,coach, and 10 of his 11 players to make the pro football HOF at their peak. Arguably the best team of all time.

Packerlifer, no doubt that '62 team was a force to be reckoned with! Can't ever forget just how good those pre-Super Bowl teams were during the 60's. They laid the foundation.

Hard decision, but if I have to narrow it down to just one team, I think I would have to agree that the '66 team would be my choice. It was also my favorite and most enjoyable season to date! The "Ice Bowl" victory and the first team to be crowned Super Bowl champions. Great memories!

Members online

Latest posts