You all blame Barry but refuse to blame MLf

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always preferred the 4-3. But you need different types of players up front. I remember Bum Phillips said you play a 3-4 if you have more better linebackers, and a 4-3 if you have more better lineman.

How long has Bum been out of the game? His son is 76 years old. They aren't all that different anymore and haven't been for a while. Yes, the occasional player is significantly better suited to one or the other, but it's not common.

In the modern NFL, almost all defenses are single gap defenses. You can usually tell if a defense is single-gapping based on where the defensive linemen align. Are they head-up on an offensive lineman? Probably two-gapping. Are they in a gap? Probably single-gapping.

Both defenses in the modern game need two linebackers to fill gaps and cover running backs and/or tight ends. Quay and Campbell are those two guys. You might want someone better than one or both of them, but their jobs and alignments are more or less identical in each scheme.

Both defenses need a beefy NT to ruin the center's day. Slaton or Clark work in either scheme.

Every defense wants edge defenders to rush the passer. Once scheme has them standing up, one scheme has them put their hands in the dirt.

4-3 or 3-4 can run the same coverages. Cover-2, Man-2, tampa-2, cover-1, cover-3, or quarters, you can run any of them regardless of what the front is doing.

What do perceive to be different between the two?

OP
OP
A

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give credit to MLF for making sure they didn't mess up the coin toss but then Jaire messes up the coin toss. How dumb are these players they don't know the NFL rules??

OP
OP
A

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubted him and have been a hater, but he had them ready! Next week will be a big test, he's 0-3 in the last three elimination games at home (vs. Bucs 2001 NFCC, vs. 49ers 2022 NFC Div, vs. Lions Week 18 wild card clincher 2023). Must win or I think it's fireable. But this week he had them as ready as ever

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Must win or I think it's fireable. But this week he had them as ready as ever
I honestly hope Barry is performing for his next job with the Chargers or Commanders. Last night the entire team rose to the challenge, but 1,2, or 3 good D performances shouldn't allow Barry another contract. A top 10 Offense with a bottom 3rd Defense gets GB nowhere, as we've seen over the last 30+ years.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly hope Barry is performing for his next job with the Chargers or Commanders. Last night the entire team rose to the challenge, but 1,2, or 3 good D performances shouldn't allow Barry another contract. A top 10 Offense with a bottom 3rd Defense gets GB nowhere, as we've seen over the last 30+ years.
I think the improved performance of our D had far more to do with Savage back on the field. He's the one who makes the on-the-fly adjustments to our coverage.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya’ll are hilarious. The same people who predicted 4 or 5 wins (or less) are now saying we have to fire all our coaches because we’re 8-8 and on the cusp of making the playoffs WITHOUT The Arrogant One. Win or lose next week this is a soft landing and the future is bright.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubted him and have been a hater, but he had them ready! Next week will be a big test, he's 0-3 in the last three elimination games at home (vs. Bucs 2001 NFCC, vs. 49ers 2022 NFC Div, vs. Lions Week 18 wild card clincher 2023). Must win or I think it's fireable. But this week he had them as ready as ever
Big difference getting ready for 2 QBs of low caliber than preparing for Fields or a Hurts.

OP
OP
A

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya’ll are hilarious. The same people who predicted 4 or 5 wins (or less) are now saying we have to fire all our coaches because we’re 8-8 and on the cusp of making the playoffs WITHOUT The Arrogant One. Win or lose next week this is a soft landing and the future is bright.
You don't think losing 4 straight elimination games at home would be fireable grounds????? Wow!

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa. This season is a completely and utterly different deal than anything in recent memory.

Firing MLF after all the good that's happened this year would be irresponsible.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't think losing 4 straight elimination games at home would be fireable grounds????? Wow!
Under MLF, the Packers have lost 3 straight elimination games at home, not 4. In 2019, the Packers got crushed in SF. Are you implying that the upcoming Bear game is a sure loss? Nevertheless, MLF doesn't instill much confidence and you can make the case that the Packers have a home field disadvantage in these elimination games. If the Packers lay an egg against the Bears, is it grounds for being fired for being a choker? With only one year left before he retires, I don't see MM firing MFL. I think MLF would need to commit a felony to get fired and he knows it. That said, the Packers can win despite MLF be having Love carry them with a great game or the Bears could just suck.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Under MLF, the Packers have lost 3 straight elimination games at home, not 4. In 2019, the Packers got crushed in SF. Are you implying that the upcoming Bear game is a sure loss? Nevertheless, MLF doesn't instill much confidence and you can make the case that the Packers have a home field disadvantage in these elimination games. If the Packers lay an egg against the Bears, is it grounds for being fired for being a choker? With only one year left before he retires, I don't see MM firing MFL. I think MLF would need to commit a felony to get fired and he knows it. That said, the Packers can win despite MLF be having Love carry them with a great game or the Bears could just suck.
Although McCarthy did seem to let victories slip through our fingers in elimination games he obviously did win some of them. And several came against the Bears. I hope that karma is still there. A coach can impact the mental toughness and the ability of his team to rise to the occasion. Lombardi did this just about every time in his tenure in Green Bay. I understand losing the NFC Championship in the 2019 season. The 49ers were clearly the better team. 20 and 21 were wins there for the taking. And MLF just was not able to do it.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting to the Super Bowl 4 times is a victory in itself. It proves your team is at the top, and your coaching is working. Winning the game is the cherry on top. But, the real victory is being good enough to reach that goal.

When it comes to the idea of changing to the 4-3 vs the 3-4, ya'll need to listen to mradtke66. He's spelled it out very well as to what today's defenses really are, and the simple modifications that need to be made, and how to add what you need through the draft.

As he said, we don't really use the 3-4 as it's designed that much. The nickel back is getting to be the norm in football, and Gary would be a solid DE. We do have personnel to fill all spots, and it could be the answer to improving the team without a major overhaul, which isn't really necessary. As far as what Barry has to offer, it isn't there, because he's added nothing to the defense that used to be a solid option until offensive coordinators spent years picking it apart, dissecting it, and finding ways to beat it. It's time for new blood, with new ideas. Bringing in retreads, like Phillips, is not going to change the dynamics. They need someone on that job who's a visionary, that knows how to utilize the talent at his disposal, in a way that's beneficial to the team. In some cases, that might mean turning square pegs into round pegs, through coaching, so they fit the needs of the team. It can be done. Ask **** LeBeau. He did it for years, as he was continuously tweaking his defenses in Pittsburgh to meet the needs, based on the players he had.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ideally, we win 64-63 and Barry gets fired but we still win.

MLF is not on any hot seat and even if he were to keep Barry, would not be fired. A fool for keeping him, but not unemployed. I love the way the offense is looking. And if Jones was healthy all year, this offense would have been top 3. With a bunch of rookies and a green QB. Imagine where they will be in a few years. Something very special I believe.

Barry has had too many head scratching moments to think he turned any corner. I think everyone sees it. I understand there are good reasons not firing your DC in the middle of the season, just ask nick Sirianni. But I can hear it in MLFs tone and see it in his mannerisms when answering questions about the defense. He is frustrated with Barry.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haters gonna hate.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bud Grant lost 4 SBs I believe in Minnesota but most any team in the league would have jumped to hire him back then.
Bud Grant's offenses were offensive. Most overrated coach since Marv Levy and Marty Schottenheimer. I'm sure glad as a Packers fan he was the Vikings HC where those pee wee league offenses scored 35 points in 4 Super Bowls. Anybody else and the Vikings might have a trophy.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've not heard any rumors but I think with the horrible play by the defense and the *****ing by some of the D players if they lose Sunday I think LaFleur is sent packing.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've not heard any rumors but I think with the horrible play by the defense and the *****ing by some of the D players if they lose Sunday I think LaFleur is sent packing.
And if Love throws an interception against the Bears, we should cut him, I suppose.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bud Grant's offenses were offensive. Most overrated coach since Marv Levy and Marty Schottenheimer. I'm sure glad as a Packers fan he was the Vikings HC where those pee wee league offenses scored 35 points in 4 Super Bowls. Anybody else and the Vikings might have a trophy.
Grant's defenses were super. Purple People Eaters! Joe Kapp was very average. But Tarkenton was great. If not he would not be in the HOF. But you do not get there 4 times in any age without a terrific coach.

Members online