Yosh Nijman - The Answer, The Question, The Dilemma

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nijman is an ERFA so only needs to be offered 1 yr minimum value contract for '22. GB keeps him for less than $1mil.

If they don’t place a second round tender on him I believe he one hundred percent will get an offer higher than that.

Reaction score
We struck gold with Yosh. Normally we get 1 unknown to step up in an area. This season we’ve had 3 step up Yosh, Campbell and Rasul.

Those guys have made it easy not to rush any players back. We were able to go the prudent path with both J’aire and David.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they don’t place a second round tender on him I believe he one hundred percent will get an offer higher than that.
Exclusive rights free agent (ERFA): Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract at the league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot negotiate with other teams.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exclusive rights free agent (ERFA): Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract at the league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot negotiate with other teams.

You are aware he isn’t going to be a ERFA right? He is set to be a RFA

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are aware he isn’t going to be a ERFA right? He is set to be a RFA
Overthecap has Nijman listed as an ERFA for '22. His '19 season ended on IR so I've read that after '21 he'll only have 2 years accrued. I think there are varying reports, not certain I or you are correct.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see that one gets a credited year for being on the 53 for at least three games. Without looking, but knowing he was on it November 26 and then went on IR December 21, he probably had enough to count 2019 as credited.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers signed Nijman to ERFA contract for '21 so for '22 he must be a RFA. I think Tiny (& others)is correct that it might take the 2nd or 1st Round tag to keep Nijman in GB for '22.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers signed Nijman to ERFA contract for '21 so for '22 he must be a RFA. I think Tiny (& others)is correct that it might take the 2nd or 1st Round tag to keep Nijman in GB for '22.

Dangit, in this case I truly wanted to be wrong.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To address the OP,

I believe you are right that he had some obvious strengths coming out of college:
incredible/elite RAS
Excellent size
D1 experience (VT)

But.... guys typically become UDFA for a reason. There must have been "some" things that other teams and coaches saw as weaknesses or "lack of polish" to see him as more of a developmental prospect.

I mean look at Allen Lazard as a great example. Some days he looks every bit a true number 2 WR, but he's still not fully developed. He's a great kid and does all the "dirty work" as everyone says (blocking, tough catches, etc) but no one will ever confuse his ceiling with say a Justin Jefferson, Jamarr Chase, etc.

So there is a REASON that some of these guys go UDFA

I feel that with Yosh, it's also a little bit of (and not to take away anything from him) a FANTASTIC OL coaching staff and learning behind Bahktiari and Elgtin Jenkins.

The Packers have long had a great OL coaching staff to develop players, the Corey Linsleys, JC Tretter, TJ Lang, Josh Sitton, Bahktiari (who was a 4th rounder btw), etc. So i think the Packrs OL coaching staff deserves a LOT of credit.

Learning behind Elgtin Jenkins and Bahktiari, combined with his raw tools likely helped him develop in the perfect environment for him to succeed. That's my take.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yosh has not caused problems. It seems he has played very well at L tackle. That does not automatically mean he will be good at R tackle. Just a factor that complicates our post season thinking.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yosh has not caused problems. It seems he has played very well at L tackle. That does not automatically mean he will be good at R tackle. Just a factor that complicates our post season thinking.

Assuming Turner is cut, there are actually two players I bet get work or a real chance at the RT position. Royce Newman and Yosh Nijman. Patrick could slide back to RG with a healthy Myers. I also will be more shocked if we don't add a starting Tackle from either side in college in this draft at some point. Even if that is a 5th rounder or so.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I feel that with Yosh, it's also a little bit of (and not to take away anything from him) a FANTASTIC OL coaching staff and learning behind Bahktiari and Elgtin Jenkins.
I agree that this has a lot to do with it. I would also give credit to the Scouts who are finding these guys and then Gute for pulling the trigger. If there was one position group coaching staff I would be worried about other teams trying to grab for promotions, it would be the guys coaching the OL.

I've said it before and I will say it again, there must be something in the air and water in Wisconsin because both the Badgers and the Packers seem to have a way with offensive lineman.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if the plan for 2022 is to gut the team by trading rodgers, letting adams walk, and cutting z and p smith, then i could see the packers possibly trading away bakh and keeping yosh at lt.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if the plan for 2022 is to gut the team by trading rodgers, letting adams walk, and cutting z and p smith, then i could see the packers possibly trading away bakh and keeping yosh at lt.

Bakh contract makes him essentially unmoveable unless retires.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bakh contract makes him essentially unmoveable unless retires.
A few posters laughed at me about being on the fence of giving Bahk all that money, but yeah, the Packers are stuck with him for at least 1 if not 2 more years. This isn't to say that Bahk won't return to his All Pro self, but the Packers are 13-3 without him, yet are still anchored to his giant salary.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few posters laughed at me about being on the fence of giving Bahk all that money, but yeah, the Packers are stuck with him for at least 1 if not 2 more years. This isn't to say that Bahk won't return to his All Pro self, but the Packers are 13-3 without him, yet are still anchored to his giant salary.

We can part ways after 2022 similar to Jones I think both will play out that way possibly.

D

Deleted member 6794

Assuming Turner is cut, there are actually two players I bet get work or a real chance at the RT position. Royce Newman and Yosh Nijman.

True, Newman might get a chance to compete for the starting right tackle spot as he played the position in his final season in college.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nijman is an ERFA so only needs to be offered 1 yr minimum value contract for '22. GB keeps him for less than $1mil.

@Pkrjones and @captainWIMM

Appears according to multiple sources now they're claiming Yosh is an ERFA not the UFA we all pieced together - I assume this means that injury in 2019 is what made the difference. This is a small, but still prevalent savings possibly for Green Bay and its cap issues in 2022

Members online

Latest posts