Yosh Nijman - The Answer, The Question, The Dilemma

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully this helps clarify Yosh Nijman's status.

2019 - PS for 11 games, inactive for 3 and on IR for last 2 regular season games. 5 games =no accrued season.
2020 - Active for 16 games (+ post season) - 1 accrued year.
2021 - Active for 17 games (+ post season) - 2nd accrued year.

ERFA= Any player with less than 3 years of accrued and an expired contract. He signed ERFA contract (1 year deal for minimum salary) in 2021. Since he still doesn't have 3 years accrued he is, again, eligible for ERFA contract in 2022. In 2023 he'll be an RFA requiring a 2nd or 1st round tender.

My mistake was in thinking that a player could only by an ERFA for one year, but the verbiage is "less than 3 years accrued".

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully this helps clarify Yosh Nijman's status.

2019 - PS for 11 games, inactive for 3 and on IR for last 2 regular season games. 5 games =no accrued season.
2020 - Active for 16 games (+ post season) - 1 accrued year.
2021 - Active for 17 games (+ post season) - 2nd accrued year.

ERFA= Any player with less than 3 years of accrued and an expired contract. He signed ERFA contract (1 year deal for minimum salary) in 2021. Since he still doesn't have 3 years accrued he is, again, eligible for ERFA contract in 2022. In 2023 he'll be an RFA requiring a 2nd or 1st round tender.

My mistake was in thinking that a player could only by an ERFA for one year, but the verbiage is "less than 3 years accrued".

Either way it is good news it seems ERFA is the designation on him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
@Pkrjones and @captainWIMM

Appears according to multiple sources now they're claiming Yosh is an ERFA not the UFA we all pieced together - I assume this means that injury in 2019 is what made the difference. This is a small, but still prevalent savings possibly for Green Bay and its cap issues in 2022
In order to accrue a season, the player needs to be on the team's active/inactive list, injured reserve or reserve PUP for at least six regular-season games in a given season.

Yosh was not in 2019. He was on the PS most of that season and elevated for a game, but then got injured and placed on IR.

EDIT: This will teach me to update all the new posts, before typing. lol

D

Deleted member 6794

@Pkrjones and @captainWIMM

Appears according to multiple sources now they're claiming Yosh is an ERFA not the UFA we all pieced together - I assume this means that injury in 2019 is what made the difference. This is a small, but still prevalent savings possibly for Green Bay and its cap issues in 2022

That's good news as it all but guarantees Nijman will be back next season.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on where Jenkins & Bakhtiari are in their rehab this could be an interesting scenario. I would only entertain trading Yosh to Dallas (or NO?) if there was a 3rd round pick as compensation as Nijman is cheap in '22 & 2nd Rnd RFA in '23 is less than $4mil. https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...s-cowboys-tyron-smith-trade-block-option-2022

This would mean rookie backup OT's in Tom, Walker &/or C. Jones.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on where Jenkins & Bakhtiari are in their rehab this could be an interesting scenario. I would only entertain trading Yosh to Dallas (or NO?) if there was a 3rd round pick as compensation as Nijman is cheap in '22 & 2nd Rnd RFA in '23 is less than $4mil. https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...s-cowboys-tyron-smith-trade-block-option-2022

This would mean rookie backup OT's in Tom, Walker &/or C. Jones.
Why trade a capable OT who is cheap for a 3rd round pick? Especially when Bakh is injury prone.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why trade a capable OT who is cheap for a 3rd round pick? Especially when Bakh is injury prone.
This makes sense IF Bakhtiari and Jenkins are ready to go 9/11. Walker, Tom, Caleb Jones and Royce Newman are capable of being "ok" as backups at OT. Walker & Jones may be getting cut this week due to number of capable O-lineman ahead of them. Why not get a 2nd day pick if a desperate team needs Yosh?

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The oline to me is tenuous at best. Lots of questions injuries and unknowns. Jenkins is the player you have to have. Nijman Runyan Myers following him. I will again say I think Bakh may be done. Newman reminds me of TJ Lang - rough start but improving slowly. Tom et al new group may have a starter coming out of it. Was hoping they couldve hung on to Kelly but no dice. I would not be shocked if Bulaga's name comes up if the right side struggles the first half of the regular season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This makes sense IF Bakhtiari and Jenkins are ready to go 9/11. Walker, Tom, Caleb Jones and Royce Newman are capable of being "ok" as backups at OT. Walker & Jones may be getting cut this week due to number of capable O-lineman ahead of them. Why not get a 2nd day pick if a desperate team needs Yosh?
I thought he looked good playing L tackle and that would be a reason to keep him. I'll never understand them not playing him there in the playoffs.

Reaction score
I love Nij, but I am partial after having a family of Hokies (3 nieces and nephews graduate from there in the last 12 years)
He‘s an invaluable Swing Tackle on a team with major questions along the OL and in a push to Win now. So my initial answer is no.

That said, anything outside of #12 is negotiable at the right price. We’ve got nothing to lose to consider an offer. If we were entertaining a Day 2 selection I’d be open ears. Another option would be a player trade.

I’ll take 4th Rounder TE, Jake Ferguson on a 4 year Rookie deal,
or Michigan Stand-out DB, Jourdan Lewis (providing he checks out)
otherwise I’m good

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Nijman is the only backup who has proven to be capable of holding his own at left tackle. I definitely don't want the Packers to trade him with both Bakhtiari and Jenkins coming off major injuries.

I would not be shocked if Bulaga's name comes up if the right side struggles the first half of the regular season.

Bulaga's name has already been brought up. The Packers should pass on him as it seems he can't stay healthy anymore.

That said, anything outside of #12 is negotiable at the right price. We’ve got nothing to lose to consider an offer. If we were entertaining a Day 2 selection I’d be open ears. Another option would be a player trade.

The Packers significantly benefit by holding on to Nijman instead of getting a draft pick for next year.

Reaction score
The Packers significantly benefit by holding on to Nijman instead of getting a draft pick for next year.
I like Nijman. But For me, if Bak and Jenkins look good to go. And if someone offered a 2nd Round pick? Especially a team I don’t think will make the playoffs (top 50 overall type draft area). I’m taking that offer.

Now I might ask for more. Say they send us their 2023, 2nd rounder plus we switch our 2023 5th rounder for their 2023 4th rounder also. Just to test their level of desperation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I like Nijman. But For me, if Bak and Jenkins look good to go. And if someone offered a 2nd Round pick? Especially a team I don’t think will make the playoffs (top 50 overall type draft area). I’m taking that offer.

Now I might ask for more. Say they send us their 2023, 2nd rounder plus we switch our 2023 5th rounder for their 2023 4th rounder also. Just to test their level of desperation.

With both Bakhtiari and Jenkins coming off major injuries I wouldn't feel comfortable to trade away the team's best backup at left tackle.

In addition it's completely unrealistic that another team would be ready to give up a second rounder to acquire Nijman.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of note...Yosh in week 1, was one of the shining bright spots and easily the best OL member of the day. He allowed just one pressure the entire day, and no actual sack. Hunter and Smith did damage all day, but all but one pressure happened against the inside or right side of the line.

Yosh keeps this up, we are truly looking at the future LT possibly or minimum RT in GB in a post Bakh era which is something I have a bad feeling about is closer to existing than anyone would like to admit.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, an UFA next year, so probably not affordable.

Yes and No, he will not be a household name to all the league, however - don't be shocked if the team knows Bakh is likely done to see us work out an affordable escalating two or three year deal on Yosh....especially if it seems Jenkins is going to be too salty to buy to stay. We cannot afford IMO to lose Jenkins and Yosh while also essentially losing or having a shell of Bakh.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yosh has made very good progress. Terrific athleticism for a man his size. In my opinion, still a lot of upside left.

Reaction score
I agree Yosh is a diamond in the
rough.

I will offer though that he missed a key block that likely cost us 7 points. As you’ll see here… There are 4 down DL and Z at LOS

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Somehow Nij takes and inside angle to help his LG, who appears to double the interior DL. Now what I don’t know is why he didn’t recognize #55 who had been disruptive all day and has an easy straight line to the RB and Z is the 5th Defender closest to the play
If his initial assignment was to Inside, I’m guessing the appropriate thing to do was make a quick exchange with the LG and he didn’t recognize it. An experience LT like Bak does not let Z get a free run at the play in a 5 on 5 play. He should’ve signaled the Guard to take his guy there as someone on MN got doubled and someone got left alone. He’s the Edge and he let it get exploited.

I’m being tough on him, just like we said Watson should’ve caught that ball, this is his job here.
This 1 play could’ve cost us the game as we turned the ball over, so it’s as good as a fumble at the 1 yard line. Vikings ball.

Last edited:
Reaction score
All that said I Love Nij and he’ll only get better and he’s already good. I’m quite sure he’s kicking himself just like Watson is after seeing the film and I’m 99% that doesn’t happen again

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know who had who in blocking assignments. Sometimes they leave that back guy open or have the TE push him into the pile.

D

Deleted member 6794

Of course, an UFA next year, so probably not affordable.

If Bakhtiari and Jenkins return to full strength this season I don't believe Nijman will play enough to price himself out of Green Bay.

Yes and No, he will not be a household name to all the league, however - don't be shocked if the team knows Bakh is likely done to see us work out an affordable escalating two or three year deal on Yosh....especially if it seems Jenkins is going to be too salty to buy to stay. We cannot afford IMO to lose Jenkins and Yosh while also essentially losing or having a shell of Bakh.

While the Packers might be hesitant to sign another offensive lineman to a rich contract after what happened with Bakhtiari I definitely don't want them to move on from Jenkins next offseason.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bakhtiari and Jenkins return to full strength this season I don't believe Nijman will play enough to price himself out of Green Bay.

While the Packers might be hesitant to sign another offensive lineman to a rich contract after what happened with Bakhtiari I definitely don't want them to move on from Jenkins next offseason.

I'm right there with you Capt - 100% - and Bakh and Jenkins back helps our OL future I think longterm because as you eluded to lot less tape for Yosh to put up.

Members online

Latest posts