X Factors?

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is now the eve of the game, and I personally have exhausted nearly all talking points. So, as a final thought here, who do you all think NEEDS to play well, like best game of the season well, for us to be victorious? Avoiding usual suspects. I'll name three:

Randall
Rollins (If active)
Michael

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Rodgers and our defensive front seven.

Think back to the last game in Green Bay. Aaron quite honestly failed big time in the Red Zone. Tosses an INT and fumbles. Can't win with 4 turnovers against Dallas. Now Dallas could beat Green Bay back then with Prescott fumbling twice because our offense couldn't capitalize.

Similarly, our D-line was gashed for almost 200 rushing yards. The 150+ yards Elliot gained set up shorter touchdown passes for Prescott. Why they threw at all was my question ... Elliot averaged like 5.8 yards per carry. Now stats don't bear out how poorly the Pack played that day. The Pack defense allowed the Cowboys a HUGE touchdown right before half as I recall ... and we all know what a back-breaker that is for a team's morale because the Pack are usually the team doing it to others. Receivers dropping passes in addition to everything else -- our corners dropping like flies ... it just was NOT a good day on nearly every front.

If this Packers team comes out focused (read: with their collective heads NOT up their ***e$) -- because they sure in the hell weren't last time around -- this is going to be a game where Packers fans could be smiling GREAT BIG BROAD smiles come Sunday night. Last time around, you might recall that Lambeau fans were criticized nationally for "boo'ing" ... I hate boo'ing ... but if ever it was justified, that was the game.

Now the X-factor to my argument is whether or not the Dallas defense had anything to do with the Pack looking like crap last time. I'm saying that outside of the usual defensive resistance, the Cowboys D wasn't that impressive and I've seen nothing since then to think otherwise. The key to the game is the Pack not having their heads up their ***e$.

Lots of talk about the Cowboys needing to keep Aaron Rodgers off the field with sustained drives ... blah blah blah... yeah, that's true. It's true every week. Here's to hoping the Cowboys are reading their own press clippings and all that stuff during their 3-week bye. Because I think that the Pack win this game...again...if not handicapped by head-up-*** syndrome. ...and I don't say that to downplay the Cowboys. Hell of a team. Very talented. They embarrassed the Pack last time and don't think for one minute that I'm not thinking that fact is another "X-factor" in the Pack winning this one.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree that Matthews and Peppers need to disrupt the Cowboy offense.

I've been expecting a breakout game from Montgomery all season. It would be great to see him get it tomorrow on the national stage.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers has to be the guy we've seen recently. If we get the Rodgers we got in the first meeting, game over.

Now that I've stated the obvious, the two biggest x-factors offensively will be Cook and Montgomery. Cook to provide that reliable target between the numbers to keep the defense spread out for Rodgers to go to work against that secondary. Montgomery I think will be huge in this game. Lining up in the backfield, motioning out to the slot, catching balls either there or out of the backfield, picking up blitzes, etc.

Defensively, the front 7 as a whole will need to have a great game. On at least half the drives, force the game into 3rd and 7 or longer by containing Zeke and selling out to stop Zeke on the early downs, and put Dak in obvious passing down situations. This is where Peppers and Matthews will need to put forth a special effort to lay some wood on Dak and get him rattled.

This is going to be some kind of football game. Dallas will no doubt move the ball. But if we can hold Dallas to field goals in the redzone, like they did with us in the first meeting, we're in great shape.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy hell, I did not think I was going to have to read Tolstoy to get through this thread but to answer the op, the TEAM will have to play well.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Holy hell, I did not think I was going to have to read Tolstoy to get through this thread but to answer the op, the TEAM will have to play well.

I think the OP intended to find out if there are x factors OTHER than the "usual suspects" i.e. Rodgers, Matthews, etc.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Re-read the title of this thread, and the post made by the OP, and you will realize that the "team" is not what the OP was looking for, nor is what he was intending by starting this thread.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Tolstoy was highly over-rated and has NOTHING on me. Mine is a real freegin' page turner I tell ya.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, all of the above posts sum it up. Every player and coach needs to be at the top of their game. I agree with all of them, there's no room for error. Go Pack!!

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since multiple people have mentioned it, let me explain myself. This is football, not basketball, tennis, wrestling, gymnastics, swimming, track and field, judo or on and on and on. Football is the ultimate TEAM sport, there is absolutely, unequivocally, beyond a shadow of a doubt no individual X factor in winning football games, period end of story. No single player ever takes over a football game and wins it all on his own, period end of story. Arod and the entire offense was phenomenal in the 2009 game against the cardinals, we lost. The defense was phenomenal for 55 minutes against the Seahawks 2 years ago, we lost.

So in closing, the X factor in winning this game is whether or not the team comes together as a solid unit and has a great game. Period end of story, if you think otherwise, you are flat out wrong. Period end of story.

And yes, I am being a condescending *****. Period end of story. :p

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Since multiple people have mentioned it, let me explain myself. This is football, not basketball, tennis, wrestling, gymnastics, swimming, track and field, judo or on and on and on. Football is the ultimate TEAM sport, there is absolutely, unequivocally, beyond a shadow of a doubt no individual X factor in winning football games, period end of story. No single player ever takes over a football game and wins it all on his own, period end of story. Arod and the entire offense was phenomenal in the 2009 game against the cardinals, we lost. The defense was phenomenal for 55 minutes against the Seahawks 2 years ago, we lost.

So in closing, the X factor in winning this game is whether or not the team comes together as a solid unit and has a great game. Period end of story, if you think otherwise, you are flat out wrong. Period end of story.

And yes, I am being a condescending *****. Period end of story. :p
Take Gronk off of the Patriots. That doesn't make a difference? Jordy being out of the game doesn't make a difference? If Clay, Randall, and HHCD all go down in he first quarter, that won't make a difference? I understand the point you are making about it's a team game, but to act as if individual performances or contributions from certain players don't matter than you most certainly haven't been watching the NFL for the past several decades.

I'm sure if Rodgers lays an egg in this game you will be the first one to throw him off of a bridge and say it's his fault, but according to your logic it won't matter because it is a team game and no individual player is going to make the difference.

Come on.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take Gronk off of the Patriots. That doesn't make a difference?
Patriots record without Brady AND Gronk on the field this year? 3-1.

If Clay, Randall, and HHCD all go down in he first quarter, that won't make a difference?
The question was not if we lose three defensive starters can we win the game.

I understand the point you are making about it's a team game, but to act as if individual performances or contributions from certain players don't matter than you most certainly haven't been watching the NFL for the past several decades.

If you think great individual performances occur inside a vacuum, you have never watched or understood the game of football. A qb does not have a great game without the online blocking, receivers getting open and catching the ball. I could point out examples for every player on the field but it would take too long. For the record I understand the point you are making as well, I simply disagree that one or two players having a great game happens solely based on themselves and has nothing to do with their teammates.

For evidence of this look at the studs and duds threads after a win, there are one or two duds while nearly every player on the team is listed as a stud. What does it look like after a loss? One or two studs who had individually great stats while the rest of the team is listed as duds.

Look individual stats can look really impressive but they do not happen without nearly all of your teammates doing their job.

I'm sure if Rodgers lays an egg in this game you will be the first one to throw him off of a bridge and say it's his fault, but according to your logic it won't matter because it is a team game and no individual player is going to make the difference.

Come on.

That would never happen unless Aaron Rodgers does a Favre impression of the Rams game and throws 6 inexplicable interceptions.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Patriots record without Brady AND Gronk on the field this year? 3-1.
What about when Brady doesn't have him in the playoffs?

The question was not if we lose three defensive starters can we win the game.
Well you didn't answer the question anyway. :laugh:

If you think great individual performances occur inside a vacuum, you have never watched or understood the game of football. A qb does not have a great game without the online blocking, receivers getting open and catching the ball. I could point out examples for every player on the field but it would take too long. For the record I understand the point you are making as well, I simply disagree that one or two players having a great game happens solely based on themselves and has nothing to do with their teammates.

For evidence of this look at the studs and duds threads after a win, there are one or two duds while nearly every player on the team is listed as a stud. What does it look like after a loss? One or two studs who had individually great stats while the rest of the team is listed as duds.

Look individual stats can look really impressive but they do not happen without nearly all of your teammates doing their job.
I'm not disputing anything you're saying, you're just looking at it from a different perspective. I understand that football is a team game and that it requires the team to do their respective jobs for individuals to stand out. But still and all, the individual player can't get beat on a 70 yard TD, can't miss an open field tackle, can't miss a read in the 4th quarter, etc. All NFL players are not created equal. Individual talent shows up every single week in the NFL, and it will take special efforts from key guys in this game to get the win.

That would never happen unless Aaron Rodgers does a Favre impression of the Rams game and throws 6 inexplicable interceptions.
Okay. We'll see what the narrative is after the game if we lose.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about when Brady doesn't have him in the playoffs?

So what you are saying is Brady can't have an individual great performance to win a playoff game without the help of a TEAMmate? Interesting supposition on your part, I wonder why I never thought of that...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think when we are talking about x-factors, it's not necessarily who will control a game but who will tip the scales. I'm thinking like Desmond Howard in the Super Bowl.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is much of an "X" factor in this game. It's about winning in the trenches. If the Packers can't run and the Cowboys roll up big yards with Elliot it won't come down to much else than that.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
So what you are saying is Brady can't have an individual great performance to win a playoff game without the help of a TEAMmate? Interesting supposition on your part, I wonder why I never thought of that...
You're arguing just for the sake of arguing now.

I never said it didn't take a team to win a game, I even said as much in my previous post. Either you're ignoring that or didn't comprehend what I was saying.

My point has been made, as has yours. Agree to disagree.

OP
OP
Arod2gjdd

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously the TEAM will have to come out razor-focused and inspired as a collective, but there is no denying that this team (like all the others) consists of individual human players. The thread was intended to ask who would, and COULD, need to "step up" and stand out from their play the entire season as an individual in a collective scheme. It was intended to be fun haha

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ryan, Martinez and Thomas

I think collectively those 3 guys are going to be the X factors for the defense. Don't get out of your lane or tangled up with an O-lineman, tackle well and don't lose coverage on Elliott or the TE's.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan, Martinez and Thomas

I think collectively those 3 guys are going to be the X factors for the defense. Don't get out of your lane or tangled up with an O-lineman, tackle well and don't lose coverage on Elliott or the TE's.

If it comes down to them, we're in trouble.

Staff online

Latest posts