Would you lose your mind?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheeseheadtv has an article up where they discuss the pack might be in play for a 1st round center. Am I the only one who would be annoyed by that, if it happened?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheeseheadtv is flat out wrong then. There are no centers in this draft worthy of a 1st round selection, and unless your owner/gm/godcomplex/coach/captainoftheship is Jerry Jones, there are few years at all when a center is going to really be worth a 1st round pick.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This looks like this level of analysis:

1. Packers lost their starting center
2. Packers need a center
3. Packers may draft a center in the 1st.

There is logic there, its extraordinary (gets lots of clicks) and if in case it works out that way (very doubtful) you can do some chest thumping that you had it right; and if you are wrong: 'They targeted xxxxx in the first, and if (insert name of the actual pick here) was gone, xxxxx would have been the pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cheeseheadtv has an article up where they discuss the pack might be in play for a 1st round center. Am I the only one who would be annoyed by that, if it happened?

There´s no center worth of being drafted in the first round. I would be fine with the Packers drafting one in the later rounds to compete with Tretter.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no center worth of being drafted in the first round. I would be fine with the Packers drafting one in the later rounds to compete with Tretter.

Im right there with you in using the mid rounds for depth/possible starter, but apparently several teams are eying up
Colorado State C Weston Richburg early as the 1st round according to the cheeseheadtv report

D

Deleted member 6794

Im right there with you in using the mid rounds for depth/possible starter, but apparently several teams are eying up
Colorado State C Weston Richburg early as the 1st round according to the cheeseheadtv report

I´m fine with some other team taking Richburg in the first round, especially if the one drafts in front of the Packers and increases our chances that Mosley and Clinton-Dix are there at #21, but I don´t want the Packers to be that team.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy would have to be one hell of a center to be drafted in the first round. Centers typically don't get drafted in the first round and I really can't see Thompson drafting a first round center. It seems the Packers don't value center too highly since this year's starter will be the fourth guy in four years.

I don't see the Packers doing this.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Only because there isn't a C worthy of a 1st round pick. Carriveau is an idiot who should be ignored whenever he talks anything remotely draft related. His logic is that Dallas reached for Frederick, therefore we'll reach. Because Jerry Jones has been such a peerless example of excellent drafting whenever Jimmie Johnson and Bill Polian weren't picking for him. :rolleyes:

PackfanFB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m fine with some other team taking Richburg in the first round, especially if the one drafts in front of the Packers and increases our chances that Mosley and Clinton-Dix are there at #21, but I don´t want the Packers to be that team.

This. Here's to hoping that a team takes a C ahead of us, along with all the QBs possible. More players to drop to us.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s hard for me to imagine Thompson & staff rating a center highly enough to take him in the first round. On a recent Sidelines show, Jason Wilde said the Packers are extremely high on Tretter. He said someone on the staff said they really like his strength and intelligence. McCarthy has mentioned Barclay, Lang, and even Sitton as potential OCs, but I’ll bet Tretter is option #1 by a large margin.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that this was TT leaking his "thought" to the media so that a center-hungry team trades up for our pick. So much of the "news" about the draft right now is gamesmanship and subterfuge amongst the teams. It's like the fans are muskies biting on worms. That bait isn't meant for us

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if he passes on a center who ends up the next Matt Birk and picks a player who isn't as good at a different position, we'd be saying in a few years he shouldn't have passed.

He's got to pick the best player available or trade down for more value.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if TT drafted a guy who played center in college in any round. He drafts college left tackles and plays them elsewhere. I doubt they'd have let EDS go if they didn't think that Tretter was 100% up to it. Or maybe Lane Taylor is looking really good. Or maybe Barclay. Center is an easy place to plug in a guy. No need to draft one in the first, almost ever. Frank Winters was a 10th round pick. Scott Wells was a 7th.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. The idea of pissing away value by reaching for a center that would probably be available later in the draft would annoy the **** out of me.

It's one thing to have a prospect high on your board and another thing altogether to disregard how that prospect is rated by others (i.e., market value). See my criticism of the Trettor selection last year. We reached a bit for him in the middle rounds last year. Why the hell would we reach for another center in the first round this year?

Last edited:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Well, if he passes on a center who ends up the next Matt Birk and picks a player who isn't as good at a different position, we'd be saying in a few years he shouldn't have passed.

He's got to pick the best player available or trade down for more value.
I'd be surprised if TT drafted a guy who played center in college in any round. He drafts college left tackles and plays them elsewhere. I doubt they'd have let EDS go if they didn't think that Tretter was 100% up to it. Or maybe Lane Taylor is looking really good. Or maybe Barclay. Center is an easy place to plug in a guy. No need to draft one in the first, almost ever. Frank Winters was a 10th round pick. Scott Wells was a 7th.
Matt Birk played Tackle in college. Ted has drafted a non-Tackle Center before, so I'd assume there's no objection from him to do so. Tretter has some real elite measurables and went to an ivy league school, compare the kid to Maurkice Pouncey on paper and let the jaw drop.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Birk played Tackle in college. Ted has drafted a non-Tackle Center before, so I'd assume there's no objection from him to do so. Tretter has some real elite measurables and went to an ivy league school, compare the kid to Maurkice Pouncey on paper and let the jaw drop.

Didn't know Birk was a tackle coming out. I agree that taking a tackle and converting him is the way to go if they are looking for another center. The tackles are the best athletes.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't think Clinton Dix gonna be very good. Mosley cool but I wouldn't be happy if we took Dix at 21 and I damn sure wouldn't be happy if we took a center. We need an impact player at 21 whether it be Ebron or Beckham on offense or Mosley or Shazier on defense.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Didn't know Birk was a tackle coming out. I agree that taking a tackle and converting him is the way to go if they are looking for another center. The tackles are the best athletes.
Actually this year there are more Guards with <4.7 cones and <7.7 shuttles and <100 broads. At least guys I have projected to Guard on my board. It's been a long offseason with a lot of tape...

D

Deleted member 6794

Yet the best centers playing in the NFL are former college centers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but apparently several teams are eying up
*****!!!
So CheeseheadTV has some computer hacker, secret agent, who's gotten access to "several teams" secretive boards?

I'm sure Ted Thompson and Reggie McKenzie and John Schneider have posted their plans and rankings on a cloud.

Members online

Latest posts