1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you lose your mind?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Apr 20, 2014.

1. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    That says it all. Thank God our GM was smarter than every other GM.

2. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Barclay RFA too.

3. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I may have overestimated the front office's foresight.

4. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,295
    Jason Wilde wrote the article linked below about how Thompson/McCarthy have to be ready for any surprises during the draft. He brings up the 1996 draft when Wolf and company thought they would get Ray Lewis with the 27th pick. Wolf later said “We got caught with our pants down…” when Baltimore traded up to the 26th pick and grabbed Lewis. The top name on the Packers board, according to Wolf, was Tony Brackens. But they “jumped the board” and took OT John Michels. Another example of a good GM and good drafter screwing up, and another example of the Packers losing out on a HOF player – like Ronnie Lott.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=14091&is_corp=1

• Old Old x 1
  5. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    OLD news.
    So was the 1998 mishap of Wolf passing on Randy Moss, which he later admitted was his biggest regret as Packers GM.

Time to move on.

• Old Old x 1
  6. TJV

Ratings:
    +3,295
    Yes, by definition something that happened in the 1996 draft is old news. :rolleyes:

I ordinarily save the “old” rating for a poster who continually brings up one thing over and over. For example, you bringing up the pick of House instead of Sherman. And when you do bring it up you continually neglect to mention the extenuated circumstances such as the number of CBs picked before either House or Sherman were drafted, which has been posted on more than one occasion. OTOH, the above post is the first time I’ve brought up the ‘Michels instead of Lewis/Brackens’ issue from that draft.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    In a book I read about the ravens season they discussed this. Ray was on the phone with the Packers and was told they were taking him as soon as baltimore was done with their pick. Then his other phone rang.

Ray on the 96 packers as a rookie gets us at least 1 more SB win imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Joe Nor Cal Packer

Joe Nor Cal Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +95
    Yeah I'm with you. Would love to see Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr ALL go before 21. No one is going to draft a C in the first round. Good trivia question, when did that last happen. I like Shazier over Mosley. That's probably an opinion in the minority but a LB who can run a 4.38 40 is too good to pass up. Don't get me wrong, I would not be disappointed with Mosley. My only concerns with Shazier are 1) he's out of position at ILB and 2) all that speed means nada if he can't shed blocks, and he's a little light for that. But he pressed 10 more reps than Mosley. Strength doesn't seem to be an issue. Should be fun.

9. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,827
    The Cowboys drafted Travis Frederick in the first round last year.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dylan Hoppe

Dylan Hoppe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +70
    And I'd say that was actually very successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,827
    Frederick had a good rookie season, especially in run blocking. At the time the Cowboys made the pick I was convinced Jerry Jones had definitely lost his mind though.

12. TJV

Ratings:
    +3,295
    Regarding BPA vs. BVA, here's more evidence. Not proof, just evidence:
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/258795601.html

13. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,481
    I'm not sure that there are many people, besides Favre, who immediately saw this as the Packers searching for Favre's replacement. It was purely taking a gift that fell into our laps. I may not have done the same thing after not getting any trade offers. Your only options are to take the BPA or reach down for a position of need. It was a lot of money to pay a kid to ride the bench for three seasons when we had many other needs.

I did like this Andrew Brandt anecdote though:

14. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +250
    Always pick from the top of your board. Use free agency and training camp cuts to fill roster holes. There are at least 5 or 6 teams that will need to either restructure veteran contracts or cut guys to get under the salarycap. More potential help is still possibly on the way in August. We're looking good right now.

15. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,827
    You have to use free agency to do that though.