Would Packers have won XLIX?

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2014.htm http://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_960w/Boston/2011-2020/2014/12/01/BostonGlobe.com/Sports/Images/459761332.jpg http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2014/11/30/bill-belichick-praises-packers-despite-loss-green-bay-is-a-really-good-football-team-they-have-good-everything/

When the Packers beat the New England Patriots at Lambeau Field at the end of November Pats' coach Bill Belichick was unusual, for him, in his postgame behavior and comments. The normally terse Belichick was more outgoing and spent a little more time congratulating his rival Mike McCarthy on the field after the game than he usually does. His praise of the Packers in the press conference after was more generous and expansive than is characteristic of a Belichick presser.

Ever the schemer, quite a few media people thought Belichick was indicating an expectation of seeing the Packers again. Since the only way that could happen was for the two to meet in the Super Bowl it seems Belichick thought the Pack would be a likely opponent.

We know that and how that didn't happen. But what if the Packers had held on in Seattle and gone to Glendale last Sunday. Would Green Bay have defeated New England or been the team always remembered as the one that lost to get the Belichick-Brady combo their fourth Super Bowl rings?

Thoughts, Everybody?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If GB beat Seattle, then MM would have received validation for his conservative playcalling. He would have continued that in the SB, and the Pats would NOT have let him get away with it.

Also I can't see MM beating BB twice in one season. BB makes adjustments a lot better than MM.

Plus Brady shredded the Seattle D in the fourth quarter. He wouldn't have any problem doing the same to Capers.

The Pats probably win.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, nobody can say that we "would have" beaten them, so the real question is whether we "could have" beaten them, and the answer is: without a doubt.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rodgers maintains his ability to play the entire game......we win Super Bowl 49

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
oh......and all the balls are properly inflated....almost forgot about that key variable!! :tup:

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, no doubt in my mind either. Like my youngest said to me after the loss to Seattle, "Well, at least we know now that we're the best team in the NFL." :tup:

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I want to say yes I hafta say I'm not sure. I'll say 50/50 as our D was playing better(until last 5 min)after the bye.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a neutral site and 2 weeks of prep would have been something that works in favor of BB. It would have been one hell of a game

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I think its a toss up. One thing I will say for those saying that Brady would have shredded the D, is that the packers knew how to generate pressure. Some games it seemed to disappear but when they needed to they stepped up. obviously brady won that game in arizona in large part due to his quick throws, but the seattle secondary was pretty banged up, and outside of sherman those guys rely on making gang tackles and big hits not great coverage.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah we beat them in the regular season, couldn't score TD's again or it would have been a blowout. But the Super Bowl is a whole other game. I'm confident we have the players and coaches to beat them at any level. I'm also pretty sure we could have easily lost had we played them again. I would have felt pretty good going into the game, but it would not have been a sure bet by any means.

They're a good team, and well coached. I think our defense has it's past being held against it, and I think Seattle gets the benefit of playing 3rd string qb's for half a year in their hype. They're good, but our defense poses some match up problems for teams as well and I think our defense was better equipped for a patriot like offense.

It would have been a pretty good game overall I think. This one ended well, but most of the game wasn't terribly exciting for me. The Patriots were pretty much owning them and Seattle completed like 5 plays (2 on defense) in the first half and somehow stayed tied. I guess it was the 5 right plays.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Who knows, why bother thinking about that though? Time to try and move on from this one.

The answer to your question is: Because some people enjoy playing the "What if?" game and pondering on the hypothetical.

No one is forcing those people who do not wish to "bother thinking about" this and are trying to "move on from this one" to read this thread and contribute.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The answer to your question is: Because some people enjoy playing the "What if?" game and pondering on the hypothetical.

No one is forcing those people who do not wish to "bother thinking about" this and are trying to "move on from this one" to read this thread and contribute.

And, at this time of the year, to what would we move on? :)Draft and free agency are getting some attention, but it's really too early to be exploring those.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. They would have beaten the Pats 57-2 (Pack gets lazy in the fourth quarter and backup QB gives up a safety)...I can say this confidently because it's all a fantasy.

Oh, and Matthews and Peppers combine for 9 sacks in the first half, Rodgers throws a TD to himself (ball is batted down right to him and he hobbles into the endzone) and Lacy somehow manages to steal Belicheck's sweatshirt at some point in the third quarter.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
From Rhode Island, I chose this season to make my first trip to Green Bay. A die hard packer fan since I was 6, thought it only made sense to go to the mecca knowing when I bought my tickets in August, the Packers Patriots game was going to be the best regular season game of the year. I spent some serious cash, but ended up getting Lambeau Leap seats, with no leap :(. As the game approached and it became more and more apparent these were the two best teams in the NFC/AFC, I was nervous for the game. Only because I knew the loser of that game would go on to win the SB. Had Rodger's not been hurt, I think we would have had a more than fair shot, but I still think the Patriots would have come through. Especially when we have our star linebacker sitting out for entire halves for "being exhausted" - there is no heart there. Everyone seems to want to point fingers at MM, Brandon Botstick, Morgan Burnette, Tramon Williams, Haha Clinton-Dix, that missed ONE play, how about we look at the guy that gets 13 million a year and he missed TWO ENTIRE QUARTERS for being lazy. When you have guys on a team that don't want it, it shows and you lose.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a healthy Aaron Rodgers - absolutely yes. But with his condition the way it was I say it'd be close. Either way, I have moved on and am looking forward to the 2015 Packers. I believe the way that things ended in 2014 will motivate this team to the highest level. Go Pack!

Members online

Latest posts