Best Packer Teams in the Favre-Rodgers Era

D

Deleted member 6794

For all you Favre lovers let me ask why we never win more Super Bowls with him?
Even though his still playing, the same question can be ask of Rogers.

Bottom Line: What a waste of 2 great quarterbacks!

It would definitely be disappointing if the Packers end up with "only" two Super Bowls during the Favre and Rodgers eras.

There is a long list of really good QB's that never won a SB, which leads me to believe that it takes more to win a SB than just a great QB.

That's absolutely true. Unfortunately Thompson hasn't provided the team with enough talent over the past few years to achieve the ultimate goal.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any season after 2011 has no business even being mentioned on this list. It's been pretty well established that Aaron Rodgers was the entire team from 2012 on.

D

Deleted member 6794

Any season after 2011 has no business even being mentioned on this list. It's been pretty well established that Aaron Rodgers was the entire team from 2012 on.

While the Packers haven't had a top defense in any season since 2012 the team had above average units in 2012, '14 and '15.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2004 was a better roster at almost every position. The only edges I give 2007 are at CB and maybe S just because how overrated Sharper was.

HB - Ahman Green > Ryan Grant
FB - Henderson > Kuhn
WR - Javon Walker/Driver > Jennings/Driver
TE - Bubba Franks > Donald Lee
G - Rivera/Wahle > Colledge/Moll
C - Flanagan > Wells
DL - KGB/Kampmann/Grady Jackson/Hunt > Kampmann/Pickett/Jenkins
LB - Barnett/Diggs/Navies = Barnett/Hawk/Poppinga
CB - Harris/McKenzie < Harris/Woodson
S - Sharper/Roman < Collins/Bigby

1. Yeah, our running game may have been stronger in 2004 than 2007, but that's about it.
2. I'm not going to get into the WR comparison because schematically MM utilizes WRs much different than Sherman did. Walker may have had a better year statistically than Jennings did, but he also didn't have James Jones, Koren Robinson and even Lee and Martin eating up a bunch of catches too. Undisputedly KRob and James Jones were way better than Robert Ferguson and whoever the other guy backing up Driver and Walker was so no, our WR depth in 2007 was about 5x better.
3. TE is highly subjective in my opinion, plus Franks actually was still on this team in 2007 it's just that Lee became more used in the passing game. Franks is probably better mostly because he could block as good if not better than he could catch which may make him a better overall TE, but he wasn't nearly as fast or athletic as Lee, though tough to compare because both were well behind the greats like Chmura, Jackson and JFinley.
4. I'm going to disagree about the OL in 2004 being that much if at all better than 2007.
5. DL was way better in 2007, not even close and you forgot Corey Williams on that roster.
6. McKenzie got shipped out and was technically really not on this roster here. It was Harris and that stinker Ahmad Caroll.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say "waste", since both QB's had a lot of success outside of their single SB wins. Pretty enjoyable 20+ seasons as a Packer fan, unless your only happiness comes via a SB win. There is a long list of really good QB's that never won a SB, which leads me to believe that it takes more to win a SB than just a great QB.
reality is so boring to some people lol.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
reality is so boring to some people lol.

LOL...Yup....ask a Browns, Lions, Jags, etc. fan :coffee:

The last 22+ years as a Packer fan has been beyond entertaining for me. Some people want to say that 2 Super Bowls weren't enough and maybe they are right, there could have been more. However, there could have been less as well. I'm not going to go back to the two season that we won Super Bowls, but I am guessing that a key play here or a key injury there and we don't win Super Bowls those years. There is a lot that goes into winning the whole thing. Do I love a Super Bowl win? Of course I do, but they are one game in a long season. I try to enjoy the whole season for what it is, 16 games (possibly more), on an individual basis. As long as the Packers are fielding a competitive team, that always has a chance, I will take that over living in Cleveland, Detroit......

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last 22+ years as a Packer fan has been beyond entertaining for me. Some people want to say that 2 Super Bowls weren't enough and maybe they are right, there could have been more. However, there could have been less as well. I'm not going to go back to the two season that we won Super Bowls, but I am guessing that a key play here or a key injury there and we don't win Super Bowls those years.
In 2010, we were lucky to make the playoffs, we squeaked in. But if you're going to compare our success to Detroit and Cleveland, you're setting the bar awfully low. The Patriots have set the standard, that should be what we aspire to. IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In 2010, we were lucky to make the playoffs, we squeaked in. But if you're going to compare our success to Detroit and Cleveland, you're setting the bar awfully low. The Patriots have set the standard, that should be what we aspire to. IMO.

Conversely, if you are going to set your bar to meet that of one of 32 teams and you view everything else as failure, you are probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I think you are missing the reality that The Cleveland Browns and The New England Patriots are both NFL teams with talent levels much closer to each other than it may appear. Yes, the Patriots success is the gold standard.... but those of us that watched the Packers in the 70's and 80's realize how easy it would be to go back to that level of mediocrity. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Favre and Rodgers era. I would love to have a few more Super Bowl victories... I'll bet you that Dan Marino would love to have one.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Conversely, if you are going to set your bar to meet that of one of 32 teams and you view everything else as failure, you are probably setting yourself up for disappointment.
Who cares? Life is full of disappointments. Lombardi wanted to win three championships in a row - that was his standard. Not one, not two. Good thing he didn't live in today's "participation trophy" culture.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How about setting the bar at a reasonable height? Those who point with distain at the Gory Years neglect to realize that many of us who lived through them, even on the heels of the Lombardi era, weren't all that crushed. We knew, going in, that a championship was off the table (bar at maybe 3-4), so each individual win was a cause for celebration, and a special win (e.g., knocking a hated rival out of the playoffs) was a real adrenalin rush - a .500 or better season + be still my heart. When one goes most of a quarter-century having a real possibility at the one win that matters (bar at maybe 8-9, and brings it home twice, you bet we were set up for disappointment.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I think you are missing the reality that The Cleveland Browns and The New England Patriots are both NFL teams with talent levels much closer to each other than it may appear. Yes, the Patriots success is the gold standard.... but those of us that watched the Packers in the 70's and 80's realize how easy it would be to go back to that level of mediocrity. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Favre and Rodgers era. I would love to have a few more Super Bowl victories... I'll bet you that Dan Marino would love to have one.

Exactly. How many records or accolades do you think he'd have traded in for one SB win?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those who point with distain at the Gory Years neglect to realize that many of us who lived through them, even on the heels of the Lombardi era, weren't all that crushed. We knew, going in, that a championship was off the table
That's right, I didn't think the Packers would ever even return to the Super Bowl, let alone win one. There weren't many signs to hang your hope on. But that's not the case these days, we have Rodgers. The team has a unique opportunity here, and they need to take full advantage of it before it's gone. The clock is ticking.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have the most important piece to win championships in place with a generational talent at quarterback with Rodgers though. Therefore setting the bar extremely high makes a ton of sense.

And I think you are missing the reality that The Cleveland Browns and The New England Patriots are both NFL teams with talent levels much closer to each other than it may appear. Yes, the Patriots success is the gold standard.... but those of us that watched the Packers in the 70's and 80's realize how easy it would be to go back to that level of mediocrity.

Therefore it's essential the Packers take advantage of having a future HOFer starting at quarterback. Unfortunately they haven't been able to over the past seven seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts