Ranking NFL Coaches

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
To clarify, I was being sarcastic. Belichick, Walsh, and Lombardi are all time greats. McCarthy is very good.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To clarify, I was being sarcastic. Belichick, Walsh, and Lombardi are all time greats. McCarthy is very good.

I figured, but it's hard or impossible to tell in text sometimes. Emoticons, my friend. Emoticons. :whistling:

H

HardRightEdge

I like McCarthy. I only wish he'd make the case for a new DC. Maybe he did but was overruled.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I like McCarthy. I only wish he'd make the case for a new DC. Maybe he did but was overruled.
I would think it's his decision. I was not aware that Thompson decided which assistant coaches stay or go.

H

HardRightEdge

I would think it's his decision. I was not aware that Thompson decided which assistant coaches stay or go.
McCarthy may have the call further down the food chain. Capers strikes me as an organizational decision particularly given what he's likely making and the amount of payout were he fired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would be surprised if McCarthy had the authority to unilaterally decide to fire Capers and I would also be surprised if Capers stood a chance of staying if McCarthy wanted him gone.

Rarely do head coaches want to fire their own assistants. Usually it's pushed on them from higher up.

My own theory is that Capers would have already been gone if it wasn't for the fact that they finish between weeks 18 and 21 every year, when the coveted DC candidates have already been snatched up.

Reaction score
Personally I think everyone has it backwards. Aaron has been holding coach Mcarthy back.. and MCarthy knows it and that's why he's been a little grumpy with the press :tup:

D

Deleted member 6794

My own theory is that Capers would have already been gone if it wasn't for the fact that they finish between weeks 18 and 21 every year, when the coveted DC candidates have already been snatched up.

That might be true to some degree but the Packers could either promote someone from within the organization or try to lure a talented position coach away from another team although a request for an interview could be blocked.

H

HardRightEdge

I would be surprised if McCarthy had the authority to unilaterally decide to fire Capers and I would also be surprised if Capers stood a chance of staying if McCarthy wanted him gone.

Rarely do head coaches want to fire their own assistants. Usually it's pushed on them from higher up.

That's a reasoned response. However, the situation calls for some creative destruction even if there are risks involved.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That's a reasoned response. However, the situation calls for some creative destruction even if there are risks involved.

I agree. I was in favor of canning Capers this last year even if it meant just promoting Winston Moss.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like McCarthy as well. My issues with him are that he sometimes wastes a challenge on something that has virtually no chance of being overturned, and he clock management has been sketchy at times. All things considered, however, he's been a very productive head coach.

Members online

Latest posts