Ranking NFL Coaches

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There were, however, Packer fans that were beside themselves with rage when Ted Thompson "wasted" his first round pick on a quarterback when he already had Brett Favre. As they say, if you listen to the fans, you'll end up sitting with them - True for both GMs and coaches.

I was glad to see MM get some recognition from the national sports press - He's deserving of it.
People outside of Packernation view us differently than those on the inside. MM at #2 and Thompson's reputation around the league offices reflect how people view us. We are not a disgrace, laughing stock or disaster as some here would have you believe with their verbiage.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think McCarthy deserves his #2 ranking. That said, he's an offensive minded guy, and if there's a weakness it's in the defense. I think he mainly depends on Capers to run that, although I'm sure he has his input.

D

Deleted member 6794

Seems to me that the majority of TT apologists are willing to admit he's not perfect.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Amish, Pike and Mondio wouldn't admit that Thompson isn't perfect even if the Packers finished 0-16 with Rodgers fully healthy for the entire season.

D

Deleted member 6794

To rip on TT for not having a roster 4 deep pro bowl talent at every position is like ripping on AR for his flaws.

Nobody is expecting a roster four deep of Pro Bowl players by any means. It would be nice to have at least a decent starter at cornerback though. Of the players currently on the roster at the position none proved capable of it last season though.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Personally I think #2 for McLardy is 1-2 too High ... Top 5 coach for sure though ...

Funny how alot of posters blamed it on coaching and McLardys inability to command his squad, when the Pack were losing, all in the same breath absolving Rodgers and the players, arguing that Rodgers "willed" the Pack into the play offs and that the Packers won despite their coaches *mindboggling*

players should be held accountable too, and last season Kinda proved that it wasn't coaching or injuries that were the Packs main issue, but more attitude from some players during the season

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Amish, Pike and Mondio wouldn't admit that Thompson isn't perfect even if the Packers finished 0-16 with Rodgers fully healthy for the entire season.

I don't think that's true or helpful; nor do I think you're really one to talk.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think that's true or helpful; nor do I think you're really one to talk.

And why is that??? Because I try to objectively analyze all of Thompson moves instead of agreeing with everything he does???

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
And why is that??? Because I try to objectively analyze all of Thompson moves instead of agreeing with everything he does???

We all have our bias on this issue. I've read those other posters admit to flaws in TT just as you've admitted to accomplishments. Yes, they slant positive. So do I. You do the same in the opposite direction. I mean, you just said I was making a huge reach by pointing out that TT was successful in handling the nickel position last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I mean, you just said I was making a huge reach by pointing out that TT was successful in handling the nickel position last year.

Well, in my opinion Thompson planned on Rollins manning the nickel cornerback and got bailed out by Hyde, who was supposed to be the backup safety, stepping up.

BTW I'm not being negative towards Thompson here because he was responsible for Hyde being on the roster just mentioning that it wasn't TT's plan to have Micah be the primary nickel CB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, in my opinion Thompson planned on Rollins manning the nickel cornerback and got bailed out by Hyde, who was supposed to be the backup safety, stepping up.

BTW I'm not being negative towards Thompson here because he was responsible for Hyde being on the roster just mentioning that it wasn't his plan.

Hyde was already a sub package contributor at DB prior to last season. He was never a pure safety. Thompson may or may not have expected Rollins to be the nickel, but he didn't fall *** backwards into a pile of luck when a guy who was already a sub package DB took on a bigger version of that role.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hyde was already a sub package contributor at DB prior to last season. He was never a pure safety. Thompson may or may not have expected Rollins to be the nickel, but he didn't fall *** backwards into a pile of luck when a guy who was already a sub package DB took on a bigger version of that role.

While that's true Hyde was primarily the dime cornerback before last season though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Been there done that. You're telling falsehoods again.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While that's true Hyde was primarily the dime cornerback before last season though.

Right. That's what I was referring to. So he replaced his nickel with the previous year's dime. I hardly think that's getting "bailed out" as you put it.

But this is what I was talking about. You want to laugh at Pike or Mondio or whoever, but then it's pulling teeth to get you to acknowledge the simple fact that TT adequately replaced the loss of our nickel last year. Yes... a bastion of objectivity.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right. That's what I was referring to. So he replaced his nickel with the previous year's dime. I hardly think that's getting "bailed out" as you put it.

But this is what I was talking about. You want to laugh at Pike or Mondio or whoever, but then it's pulling teeth to get you to acknowledge the simple fact that TT adequately replaced the loss of our nickel last year. Yes... a bastion of objectivity.

Whatever, in the end it didn't matter at all as the outside cornerbacks played terrible and even with Hyde in the slot the defense allowed tight ends to make too many plays. But great that you feel fine about the team having had a decent nickel CB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Whatever, in the end it didn't matter at all as the outside cornerbacks played terrible and even with Hyde in the slot the defense allowed tight ends to make too many plays. But great that you feel fine about the team having had a decent nickel CB.

That's not at all what I said. You'd know that if you actually followed the conversation instead of just jumping in to dispense knowledge. Or actually, and probably more accurately, I'm sure you know what was being said. You just don't care.

Nice temper tantrum though. You're really strengthening that case as the lone arbiter of objectivity on the forum.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's not at all what I said. You'd know that if you actually followed the conversation instead of just jumping in to dispense knowledge. Or actually, and probably more accurately, I'm sure you know what was being said. You just don't care.

Nice temper tantrum though. You're really strengthening that case as the lone arbiter of objectivity on the forum.

BTW I said that I try to be objective not that I achieve that all the time. You'd know that if you actually followed the conversation though.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People outside of Packernation view us differently than those on the inside. MM at #2 and Thompson's reputation around the league offices reflect how people view us. We are not a disgrace, laughing stock or disaster as some here would have you believe with their verbiage.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I although think that if the Pack ever fired McCarthy, his phone would be ringing immediately - ditto Ted.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts