3 Packer games you can change outcome of

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pick 3 (no more) Packer games that you've seen you can change the outcome of.

1997 Broncos Super Bowl - easy selection for me. Final game of season so no what if's, we win Super Bowl this year no matter. Back to back Super Bowl's the late 90's Packers would be looked at completely different.

2007 Giants NFC Championship- I say this because if we win this and beat the undefeated Patriots I think there is a better chance Favre just retires and we can smooth into the Rodgers era. No Viking BS happens. Of course there is a risk NE goes undefeated, but a risk I'm willing to take.

2014 Seattle NFC Championship- Don't want to go into any more detail.

Just missed the list.
2003 4th and 26 Eagles game. Still have to win 2 more games to win Super Bowl, @Carolina and New England in Super Bowl.
2011 15-1 debacle in playoffs vs Giants. If we get the rust off this game from having a 2 week bye, I say we are heavy favorites over San Fran at home and New England in Super Bowl.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I might even add into the 15-1 season that embarrassing Kansas City game. We were undefeated and lost to a team that I believe had not yet won a game all season. I think that took a lot of fire away from the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I might even add into the 15-1 season that embarrassing Kansas City game. We were undefeated and lost to a team that I believe had not yet won a game all season. I think that took a lot of fire away from the team.

For the record, the Chiefs were 5-8 at that point and had just fired Todd Haley as their head coach and replaced him with Romeo Crennel.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I can change the outcome of the game more than the score then 2011 Carolina - GB game where Collins has his career ended. Maybe 2014 NFC Championship game and 2011 Giants game are changed with that also along with a parade of secondary mistakes that followed.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2016 vs Atlanta

Hard to get more subjective in a thread than this topic - I understand that. However, I only considered meaningful games that could have been changed by a play or two going the other way. Having the team getting its butt handed to it from the get-go is one that I figure is best left as a "the opponents were obviously just better, and they won" situation. FWIW, when I looked at the recap of the game, the "percentage chance of winning" started out about 35% for the Pack and went downhill from there. Again, subjective, but this one never bothered me much afterward.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to get more subjective in a thread than this topic - I understand that. However, I only considered meaningful games that could have been changed by a play or two going the other way. Having the team getting its butt handed to it from the get-go is one that I figure is best left as a "the opponents were obviously just better, and they won" situation. FWIW, when I looked at the recap of the game, the "percentage chance of winning" started out about 35% for the Pack and went downhill from there. Again, subjective, but this one never bothered me much afterward.

Didn't find that in OP. Not sure where you got that from.

Anyway, I didn't feel they were a superior team to us, they just seem to have our number that game and their stadium opening game next season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't in the OP. That's why I tried as hard as I could to say those are the types of games that "I" would change.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The problem with that game is Kyle Orton had already played against us with Denver. Then Denver cut him and he played against us again for KC. He told them what they needed to do to beat us.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the 2012 SF playoff game. Kapernick's coming out party. Maybe if we beat them in that game, Kapernick doesn't continue to haunt us the next season as well.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Broncos SB is my obvious first choice as it results in a SB win.

I would have to say the 2014 NFCC game would be my second choice.

As for the third choice It depends on how far back I want to go. Its most likely going to be a conference championship game as winning puts us in the SB. That leaves out the Rice fumble/non fumble game and the Cardinals loss in 2015 as tough as those were to lose.

That leaves the 2016 loss to the Falcons or the 2007 loss to the Giants as obvious choices but I am going to go back to the 1995 loss to the Cowboys. They had knocked us out of the playoffs 2 years in a row (and three consecutive times if you want to go back even further.) and I was ready to kick their ***. The only team I hate losing to more than the cowboys is the vikings.

If it weren't for the awful way we lost that Seahawks game I would put the 1995 loss at #2

To put a different spin on things would we ever want to change the outcome of a game we won? If so (Poker will appreciate this one) a game that might be up for consideration ( I'd have to look into the tiebreakers.) is the season finale against the Phoenix Cardinals on December 18 1988. If we lose that game we finish the year at 3-13, tied with the cowboys, depending on the tiebreakers we could have had the first pick in the draft in 1989. Would we have drafted Troy Aikman? If changing the outcome of a win is not your thing another possibility from that same season would be either one of the losses to the Lions. If we beat them once they have the 2nd pick. Would they have taken Mandarich and left us with Barry Sanders. Of course a win would have left us tied with the Falcons and the Chiefs so we may not have had the third pick (tiebreakers?) We may have gotten stuck with Deion Sanders or Derrick Thomas.

I'd probably have to go with one of the Lions losses for two reasons. First I don't want to give Poker any ideas that I wish the Packers would lose, and second if we draft Aikman it is very likely that the whole Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers thing never happens. Who knows though, Aikman may have won us 3 SBs instead of the cowboys.

OP
OP
LambeauLombardi

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that if Favre retires after the 2007 season I don't think the 2009 Vikings are a threat and there's a real good shot we get a first round bye that year considering we were 11-5 with an 0-2 record against Minnesota. That team struggled in close games that year so definitely not guaranteeing anything, but would have been nice to see what they could have done if we didn't have to worry about Dom not changing the game-plan (speculation by me) versus Arizona after playing them the week prior.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To put a different spin on things would we ever want to change the outcome of a game we won? If so (Poker will appreciate this one) a game that might be up for consideration ( I'd have to look into the tiebreakers.) is the season finale against the Phoenix Cardinals on December 18 1988. If we lose that game we finish the year at 3-13, tied with the cowboys, depending on the tiebreakers we could have had the first pick in the draft in 1989. Would we have drafted Troy Aikman? If changing the outcome of a win is not your thing another possibility from that same season would be either one of the losses to the Lions. If we beat them once they have the 2nd pick. Would they have taken Mandarich and left us with Barry Sanders. Of course a win would have left us tied with the Falcons and the Chiefs so we may not have had the third pick (tiebreakers?) We may have gotten stuck with Deion Sanders or Derrick Thomas.

I'd probably have to go with one of the Lions losses for two reasons. First I don't want to give Poker any ideas that I wish the Packers would lose, and second if we draft Aikman it is very likely that the whole Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers thing never happens. Who knows though, Aikman may have won us 3 SBs instead of the cowboys.

Was Troy Aikman really that good? His numbers were not good at all. Seems like he just rode Emmitt Smith to 3 rings.

OP
OP
LambeauLombardi

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Broncos SB is my obvious first choice as it results in a SB win.

I would have to say the 2014 NFCC game would be my second choice.

As for the third choice It depends on how far back I want to go. Its most likely going to be a conference championship game as winning puts us in the SB. That leaves out the Rice fumble/non fumble game and the Cardinals loss in 2015 as tough as those were to lose.

That leaves the 2016 loss to the Falcons or the 2007 loss to the Giants as obvious choices but I am going to go back to the 1995 loss to the Cowboys. They had knocked us out of the playoffs 2 years in a row (and three consecutive times if you want to go back even further.) and I was ready to kick their ***. The only team I hate losing to more than the cowboys is the vikings.

If it weren't for the awful way we lost that Seahawks game I would put the 1995 loss at #2

You bring up a very interesting scenario, but to answer your question I feel like we would have been worse off drafting Aikman just because we ended up with Favre a few years ago. Call me biased but I think Favre is way better than Aikman.

However drafting Barry Sanders would possibly mean 3 championships in the 90s to go along with Favre. I get the feeling Deion would have left Green Bay being a guy from Florida and his interest in baseball. Derrick Thomas to tag team with Reggie White would be deadly.

Reaction score
I only need 2

2007 Giants OT win. We had a very decent shot at eliminating the Patriots again to go 2-0 head to head

2014 Seattle OT win. 3 wins against the Patriots in the SB would change the GOAT debate dramatically and GB would have 6 Lombardi’s with a 6-1 SB ratio. and #1 world champs. 3-0 Champions against NE.
Patriots would out of the conversation at 4-7 SB.
I believe we would have at minimum won 1 of the 2 contests against NE and even that would put us ahead of NE with a better SB win %

Those were the only realistic chances in my estimation. The rest we likely lose the ensuing match(es)

There is a small chance GB meets NE in a SB before Brady retires. That would draw a record crowd as a Super Heavyweight fight.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Was Troy Aikman really that good? His numbers were not good at all. Seems like he just rode Emmitt Smith to 3 rings.

Well he and probably most of the first round picks that year were better than Mandarich ;)
However, had we drafted Aikman, Favre probably never makes it to Green Bay and that alone probably changes the next 20 years for the Green Bay Packers. So despite Sschind's creative post and shout out to me, that year, it was probably a good thing the Packers won their final game and didn't get the #1 pick and take Aikman.

Game #1: I would have to go with 2014 NFCCG against SeaTurkeys. That loss was just the most gut wrenching, take it right out of your hands turn around I have been a part of. It was also a game that seemed to not just keep us from getting to and winning the SB, but the hangover seems to have clung to the Packers.

Game #2: 2017 Packers @ Vikings: The day Aaron went down. Packers were 4-1 going into the game. The loss of Rodgers completely spun the entire season out and the Packers really haven't seemed the same since. Might even consider this as my #1 game to change that outcome.

Game #3: 2007 NFC Championship Game
Yet another heartbreaking loss to just miss getting into a very winnable SB game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LambeauLombardi

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he and probably most of the first round picks that year were better than Mandarich ;)
However, had we drafted Aikman, Favre probably never makes it to Green Bay and that alone probably changes the next 20 years for the Green Bay Packers. So despite Sschind's creative post and shout out to me, that year, it was probably a good thing the Packers won their final game and didn't get the #1 pick and take Aikman.

Game #1: I would have to go with 2014 NFCCG against SeaTurkeys. That loss was just the most gut wrenching, take it right out of your hands turn around I have been a part of. It was also a game that seemed to not just keep us from getting to and winning the SB, but the hangover seems to have clung to the Packers.

Game #2: 2017 Packers @ Vikings: The day Aaron went down. Packers were 4-1 going into the game. The loss of Rodgers completely spun the entire season out and the Packers really haven't seemed the same since. Might even consider this as my #1 game to change that outcome.

Game #3: 2007 NFC Championship Game
Yet another heartbreaking loss to just miss getting into a very winnable SB game.

People said that that game would get everyone fired therefore it will be for the best. They are right, but I think I'll still be waiting a while for this team to be in any realistic Super Bowl conversation.

OP
OP
LambeauLombardi

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to narrow it down to 1, I'll take Seattle 2014 just for the simple fact how they lost that game is something I think about every few days and the game in sports history I think about the most. I feel much better about them beating New England this 2014 season than I would have in 07.

2007 NFC Championship game stunk but it would have been bad if we lost to the Patsies and they went 19-0. We also got revenge on Favre in 2010 so the Viking situation didn't turn out to be a complete dumpster fire.

Tough leaving out the 97 Super Bowl since a championship was guaranteed, but that was the first full season I watched football and I didn't really understand how tough it is to be playing the first week of February. The 2014 loss I had experienced enough playoff losses and had a better understanding how hard it was to win a championship. Blowing a 12 point lead with 2:15 left to get to the Super Bowl is still worse than losing a Super Bowl imo. At least you are at the Super Bowl and you can enjoy all the stuff leading up to it. The laundry list of stupid plays in that game makes me pessimistic during the 3 hours during every big game now.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those were the only realistic chances in my estimation. The rest we likely lose the ensuing match(es)
If we had won the 1995 NFCCG against the Cowboys, we would have had a very realistic chance of winning the Super Bowl IMO. The Cowboys were the main thing holding us back. I think we would have had at least as good a chance of beating the Steelers that year (the NFC was in the midst of a 13 game winning streak) as the 2007 or 2014 Patriots, if not better.

By the way, no disrespect to Troy Aikman, but those Cowboy teams were built on their offensive line, plus Emmitt Smith. I don't think he would have had the success he had on the Packers. I wouldn't trade Favre or Rodgers for him.

I like the OP's choices. The only other one that comes to my mind is the 2003 loss to the Falcons, the first home playoff loss in Lambeau Field. Just to keep the streak and the mystique alive a little longer.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned this past season's loss to the Patriots, because that would have put Rodgers up 2-0 over Brady.

I agree with your last sentence here. At the time, it seemed like it should serve as motivation to do better in the future, but I don't think they've ever really recovered from that loss.

Reaction score
If we had won the 1995 NFCCG against the Cowboys, we would have had a very realistic chance of winning the Super Bowl IMO. The Cowboys were the main thing holding us back. I think we would have had at least as good a chance of beating the Steelers that year (the NFC was in the midst of a 13 game winning streak) as the 2007 or 2014 Patriots, if not better.
You know. I forgot about that one. Ok that’s my 3rd redo :tup:

Last edited:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we would have had at least as good a chance of beating the Steelers that year

We already beat them earlier that year on Thigpen's end zone drop. Maybe they would have wanted revenge for our "cheap" victory.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned this past season's loss to the Patriots, because that would have put Rodgers up 2-0 over Brady.

Very good point.

Members online

Latest posts